• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 E3 Information Thread [Trailer, BioWare Storytelling, More]

LiK

RPGCrazied said:
I bet it goes like this, set levels and no equipment change.

Chapter 1 Snow is a guest member
Chapter 2 Saszh is a guest member
Chapter 3 Hope is a guest member
Chapter 4 Fang is a guest member
Chapter 5 Vaneillie is a guest member

Chapter 6 - The End?

They are so going a ToS II, its not even funny.
Last guest character is Noctis just to tie it all together. Muhahaha

xion4360

Maybe they retained the use of Magic. Its not like it was ever specified that losing the brands would also mean losing the abilities, they are the first to do so anyway.

Pooya

005bt7c.jpg

006ar7f.jpg

008oqal.jpg

0094p5p.jpg

0016qm4.jpg

007pr0x.jpg

010ztnv.jpg

0044ou4.jpg

003fody.jpg

002krgb.jpg

http://www.4gamer.net/games/127/G012733/20110614022/

dramatis

xion4360 said:
Maybe they retained the use of Magic. Its not like it was ever specified that losing the brands would also mean losing the abilities, they are the first to do so anyway.
That would be dreadfully convenient, wouldn't it.
miladesn said:
That is one mighty good-looking shoe on her right foot there.

RPGCrazied

Just got my GI in the mail today, saw the screenshot that can't be posted, I don't know why? I have to say it looks like a boss, and something I haven't seen before, kinda cool looking.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
RPGCrazied said:
I bet it goes like this, set levels and no equipment change.

Chapter 1 Snow is a guest member
Chapter 2 Saszh is a guest member
Chapter 3 Hope is a guest member
Chapter 4 Fang is a guest member
Chapter 5 Vaneillie is a guest member

Chapter 6 - The End?

They are so going a ToS II, its not even funny.
LOL, that's what I keep thinking will happen. It's kind of funny, and then you realize that they seem to be taking aspects of different games (BioWare Storytelling, monster usage a la Int'l+LM, etc) and throwing them in a blender. I hope that the end result will be palatable. At least Noel doesn't seem like Emil... more like Emil
in Ratatosk mode if they want to make the character useful

miladesn said:
I'm sorry, that armour looks ridiculous in some places...

This is kinda cool, though.

I'm still waiting on the reveal of the identity of that mystery guy in the first teaser trailer.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
What's wrong with Lightning? Her English VA makes her sound flat and boring. I think Maaya Sakamoto does a better job with that character.

Diablos

Kagari said:
What's wrong with Lightning? Her English VA makes her sound flat and boring. I think Maaya Sakamoto does a better job with that character.
I thought Ali Hills did okay. A little too dramatic at times, but overall, it worked.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kagari said:
+1

Maaya Sakamoto's take on the character was much better than Ali Hillis's; her tone and reading was more believable than the English VA's, imo. It isn't the best character that Sakamoto's voiced, but she got the job done.

Though this is always funny.

NateDrake

Saw this on FF-Reunion (Google Translated):

FF13-2: than Famitsu Released week excerpt article contents (Flagey GK Mr.)
"Lightning is hmm s Shin anymore!" Is serif told sera is Reburo "Prayer to play" keyword, Noel intrusive Gizu 熱Su about Snow, Serra journey to Noel and but have Snow is "Actually" "ーーー Ee What? Why!" in previous game now wrote relationships and sera Snow Focuses sisterhood, previous work now was evaluated lone is diversity have choices, outfits Noel relationship directly resembles Fang not, PV Alisa was in includes design 皆葉 town passed once back some systems, PS3 edition Xbox visual version difference almost no.

Not sure if it's from Famitsu making the claim or the author, but no visual difference is a nice thing to have this time around.

Dunan

Human translated:

13-2: From this week's Famtsu (Furage-GK*)

Lebreau tells Serah, "Lightning is dead!"; a "prayer for rebirth" is the keyword; Noel isn't quite as intense and overbearing as Snow; Serah goes on a journey with Noel despite having Snow ("Well, in fact..." - "What!? Why!?"); the previous installment was about Snow and Serah but this time it's about the two sisters; the previous game was one path but this time there are multiple paths; Noel's clothing looks like Fang's but they're not related; Alyssa in the PV was designed by [Hideo] Minaba; the town you pass through once can be returned to using a certain system; no difference in visuals between PS3 and X-Box 360.

* - "Furage" is an abbreviation for "flying get", a slangy word for someone who acquires something in advance of its official release date, and "GK" is an abbreviation for "gatekeeper"; someone who defends some product or company and chooses not to see its flaws.

This stream-of-consciousness text is a mess. No wonder Google Translate choked on it.

NateDrake

Dunan said:
Human translated:

13-2: From this week's Famtsu (Furage-GK*)

Lebreau tells Serah, "Lightning is dead!"; a "prayer for rebirth" is the keyword; Noel isn't quite as intense and overbearing as Snow; Serah goes on a journey with Noel despite having Snow ("Well, in fact..." - "What!? Why!?"); the previous installment was about Snow and Serah but this time it's about the two sisters; the previous game was one path but this time there are multiple paths; Noel's clothing looks like Fang's but they're not related; Alyssa in the PV was designed by [Hideo] Minaba; the town you pass through once can be returned to using a certain system; no difference in visuals between PS3 and X-Box 360.

* - "Furage" is an abbreviation for "flying get", a slangy word for someone who acquires something in advance of its official release date, and "GK" is an abbreviation for "gatekeeper"; someone who defends some product or company and chooses not to see its flaws.

This stream-of-consciousness text is a mess. No wonder Google Translate choked on it.
Makes more sense. So it seems it's the author saying no visual difference and not Famitsu then.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
That sounds familiar:

“The 360 version and the PS3 version should be pretty much equal, both in terms of content and the visuals as well,” he added.

“Since the hardware is different, there might be some subtle differences if you compare screenshots side by side, but the team’s being very careful about the compression of the data and the visuals, so that it’s exactly the same on both.”

http://boards.ign.com/ps3_general_board/b8267/184080271/p1/

History repeating itself!

But yeah, me and APZonerunner both agreed that the two versions of XIII-2 still have visible differences when we saw them.

Cheska

I guess I was just so happy to have a strong female lead that I wasn't too bothered by her attitude. And I thought her voice fit the role and the vibe she was trying to give off. Overall shes basically one of my favorite Final Fantasy characters, I much preferred her over Yuna.

Cheska said:
I guess I was just so happy to have a strong female lead that I wasn't too bothered by her attitude. And I thought her voice fit the role and the vibe she was trying to give off. Overall shes basically one of my favorite Final Fantasy characters, I much preferred her over Yuna.
Lightning a strong female lead?
rbgqie.jpg

At least Yuna had some sort of depth to her. What the hell did Lightning have?

OMG she changed her name so she could become a bitch to protect her sister. No one would take anyone named Claire seriously.

On that note, the revelation of her name was one of the saddest things I have ever seen. I was almost shocked about how much I didn't care.

toasty_T said:

OMG she changed her name so she could become a bitch to protect her sister. No one would take anyone named Claire seriously.

On that note, the revelation of her name was one of the saddest things I have ever seen. I was almost shocked about how much I didn't care.

Haven't played through 13 yet. God I hated Yuna though. HATE HER.

Anyway's I'm only responding to compliment you on your excellent avatar. Kudos.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Cheska said:

emot-geno.gif

Tylahedras said:

Oh, sorry about the spoiler then. The reveal is such a non-event though you'll be angry at yourself for anticipating something better.

About the avatar, it seems to be garnering a bit of praise haha. Cheers.

Cheska said:

I thought when people asked for strong female characters they meant well written female characters.

toasty_T said:

Yuna's so much better than Lightning it's ridiculous.

"Strong female character" doesn't equal being an asshole.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Fimbulvetr said:
I thought when people asked for strong female characters they meant well written female characters.
Clearly they mean Amazon from Dragon's Crown!

Lightning isn't a strong character, she is a dull one.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Cheska said:
*chuckle* Physically strong, perhaps. But outside of that, she didn't really have that much depth to her character.

At least Yuna had more depth and personality than Lightning. And ended up being somewhat stronger for it, despite making some rash decisions.

Celes was at least somewhat strong and deep. She served in the army. She refused Locke's assistance when he saved her because she wanted to keep face and her pride. She hesitates to disguise herself as Maria to sing in the opera. And in a desperate attempt to prove her loyalty to the group, she teleports Kefka, his soldiers and herself away to buy the group some time to escape from the Empire. And she's the reason for "hate hate hate x 10". Despite her
attempting suicide if the player does not save Cid
, at least signs of weakness can help underscore the strength of the character shown later, as she's the one who walks/sails through the wastelands to begin the process of reuniting everyone to take on Kefka.

With the way they were yammering on and on about Lightning being a strong female protagonist, I was expecting another Celes Chere, only voiced, a stylish fighter, battle-hardened, and has the capacity to have a sense of humour or wear her heart on her sleeve every now and then. While you can argue that this was done to an extent, it wasn't strong or vivid enough for me based on the dialogue, inadequate (to me, at least) character development and writing. Being a protective older sister myself, I couldn't really empathize with her sometimes.

Dark Schala said:
*chuckle* Physically strong, perhaps. But outside of that, she didn't really have that much depth to her character.

At least Yuna had more depth and personality than Lightning. And ended up being somewhat stronger for it, despite making some rash decisions.

Celes was at least somewhat strong and deep. She served in the army. She refused Locke's assistance when he saved her because she wanted to keep face and her pride. She hesitates to disguise herself as Maria to sing in the opera. And in a desperate attempt to prove her loyalty to the group, she teleports Kefka, his soldiers and herself away to buy the group some time to escape from the Empire. And she's the reason for "hate hate hate x 10". Despite her
attempting suicide if the player does not save Cid
, at least signs of weakness can help underscore the strength of the character shown later, as she's the one who walks/sails through the wastelands to begin the process of reuniting everyone to take on Kefka.

With the way they were yammering on and on about Lightning being a strong female protagonist, I was expecting another Celes Chere, only voiced, a stylish fighter, battle-hardened, and has the capacity to have a sense of humour or wear her heart on her sleeve every now and then. While you can argue that this was done to an extent, it wasn't strong or vivid enough for me based on the dialogue, inadequate (to me, at least) character development and writing. Being a protective older sister myself, I couldn't really empathize with her sometimes.
Wow I think I want to actually go back and play the game again after reading that post.

Zoe

Tylahedras said:

Why are you in this thread if you haven't played the first??

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
toasty_T said:
Oh, sorry about the spoiler then. The reveal is such a non-event though you'll be angry at yourself for anticipating something better.

About the avatar, it seems to be garnering a bit of praise haha. Cheers.

I don't know...What were you anticipating her name to be? The only way to make the reveal mean something would be that the name will reveal a plot twist but there isn't one. If not a name is just a name. The focus they wanted was more on the part that she changed it to help changed herself. Her real name isn't supposed to mean anything.

Although this did remind me of some silly rumoured plotline I read on a Chinese forum. Where Lightning is revealed to be the daughter of some Cocoon ruler/high priest-something...
Or the one where she's Serah from the future.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
entrydenied said:
I don't know...What were you anticipating her name to be? The only way to make the reveal mean something would be that the name will reveal a plot twist but there isn't one. If not a name is just a name. The focus they wanted was more on the part that she changed it to help changed herself. Her real name isn't supposed to mean anything.
Technically, you can argue that her name does have some meaning. Lightning's real name in the Japanese version was
Eclair, meaning "lightning" or "flash" in French
, and her name in the English version was
Claire (feminine singular declension of the French clair, meaning "light (of a colour)" or "clear" in French; cognate of the Latin clara which is the feminine nominative singular declension form of clarus, meaning "clear" or "bright"

So if anything, her name's meaning made it easier for her to choose her alias, heh. I understand the dissatisfaction of the reveal, though; for people expecting it to be more dramatic, only to hear it simply glossed over, it must have been dissatisfying.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Dark Schala said:
Technically, you can argue that her name does have some meaning. Lightning's real name in the Japanese version was
Eclair, meaning "lightning" or "flash" in French
, and her name in the English version was
Claire (feminine singular declension of the French clair, meaning "light (of a colour)" or "clear" in French; cognate of the Latin clara which is the feminine nominative singular declension form of clarus, meaning "clear" or "bright"

So if anything, her name's meaning made it easier for her to choose her alias, heh. I understand the dissatisfaction of the reveal, though; for people expecting it to be more dramatic, only to hear it simply glossed over, it must have been dissatisfying.

I do agree with you on the meanings of the game and I like the whole
more feminine to masculine/nongendered switch when the two names essentially have the same meaning
. But for me this process of change was definitely more important than what her name actually is.

I also didn't have a problem with her changing her name because I do know that people, at least in the Chinese culture, sometimes change their name not only for fortune/luck but also as a sort of hope for a change in one's self. Sometimes these changes can be similar to Lightning's, where a chinese character is switched to one that is of the same meaning or pronunciation. So the name change sort of make sense to me insofar as it also happen in real life for some people.

Top Bottom