• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 E3 Information Thread [Trailer, BioWare Storytelling, More]

Silh

Jeels said:
I just want to see Snow, Sahz, and Hope though.
Yeah, I just hit the Gapra Whitewood in my replay. Considering his dynamic with Lightning, I'm really wondering what Hope's been up to as well.

ZephyrFate said:
Yeah I don't think they need to do much to improve the graphics, the game and engine still looks gorgeous as fuck.
Yeah, it's not like FFX-2 where they slightly tweaked it to let more stuff happen onscreen. FFXIII already has a SHITLOAD of stuff happening onscreen and the effects are already gorgeous; if there's anything more taxing in terms of in-battle graphics, it'll likely/hopefully come from having parties that are (eventually) three party members PLUS a captured monster.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Kagari said:
http://ps3.rpgsite.net/articles/286-e3-2011-final-fantasy-xiii2-impressions

My super detailed impressions, over 3100 words.

I'm spent.
Good work. Some stuff I agree with there.

Aeana said:
So tempted to see how awful I'd look with that.
Heh, same. But my hair's at shoulder length now, so I can't pull it off.

I'd be far too lazy to all the teasing and slight curling for that every single day (and early mornings? FORGET IT). It'd probably look awful while trying to walk around campus with it...

Cheska

I understand that they are trying to give us a feel of that state the world is in, but I wasn't too impressed with Bresha ruins as a setting. It was hard for me to focus on the game because of the muddy colors and atmosphere, especially when I was already in a crowded area. It would have been nice if more of the demo had been more lively and colorful. Even so, I'm really looking forward to what we see from TGS :)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Dark Schala said:
I'd be far too lazy to all the teasing and slight curling for that every single day (and early mornings? FORGET IT). It'd probably look awful while trying to walk around campus with it...

You could try Lightning's hair... Together with a pink dye. :p

Fimbulvetr said:
I hope there is a point to transforming weapons beyond having alternate animations.
I still think it would've made sense in the original for each weapon to use one mode for Commando physical attacks and the other for Ravager physical attacks (assuming they had access to physical attacks in both modes). Would've added an extra layer of variety to the characters if it made a genuine difference in battle (I mean, having Lightning switch between ranged and up-close for her physical attacks depending on her current role would be pretty neat).

Aeana

Dark Schala said:
Good work. Some stuff I agree with there.

My hair is naturally curly, which is usually more of a blessing than a curse, but I guess not for some situations.

I did try to do my hair up that way and it actually looks pretty cute, but it also makes me look like I'm 16 years old. Definitely not something to wear around the office. It also took a really long time to get right.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ULTROS! said:
You could try Lightning's hair... Together with a pink dye. :p
Naw, I think I'll stick to my blonde/brown highlights in my black hair, though it's too bad that there aren't a lot of female characters with shorter hair.

Cheska said:
I understand that they are trying to give us a feel of that state the world is in, but I wasn't too impressed with Bresha ruins as a setting. It was hard for me to focus on the game because of the muddy colors and atmosphere, especially when I was already in a crowded area. It would have been nice if more of the demo had been more lively and colorful. Even so, I'm really looking forward to what we see from TGS :)
Yes. The shinies in the demo look nice, but the backgrounds were underwhelming. Given that we've seen beautiful backgrounds/setpieces like Lake Bresha, the Gapra Whitewood, the Sunleth Waterscape and Sulyya Springs, it's disappointing that the first thing we see is something so... dull. It's a cityscape, yes, but it's unfortunate that it looks so dull in comparison to Nautilus or Eden.

Perhaps, since there seems to be a weather system, it'll look better when it is not raining.

Zoe

Dark Schala said:

I guess I should clarify that that's listed as a "date" hairstyle :p

But my main point was that the Japanese are big on curling their hair and putting it up on the side in some fashion. No western influence needed (if anything it's the other way around going by Youtube).

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
badcrumble said:
Yeah, it's not like FFX-2 where they slightly tweaked it to let more stuff happen onscreen. FFXIII already has a SHITLOAD of stuff happening onscreen and the effects are already gorgeous; if there's anything more taxing in terms of in-battle graphics, it'll likely/hopefully come from having parties that are (eventually) three party members PLUS a captured monster.

Would be nice if there was more stuff happening on-screen outside of battles though. FFXIII so far has been really static and bland when not in combat. I'll maybe feel differently when I finally reach Pulse, but 7 chapters in and Cocoon is so bloody lifeless.

Teknoman

So far, I really like how the battle theme sounds...wish they worked the normal victory theme into the game though. Even a fast remixed version would have worked, playing from the victory pose to the score and item distribution screen. How can they see Pulse above them since Cocoon collapsed?

I'm sure (or at least I hope) that they improve the textures before release, especially with Atlas.

The ruins music actually sounds kinda cool...reminds me of Phantasy Star + Nocturne/Persona.

Anomaly puzzles remind me of those Millennium puzzles from Wild ARMs.

I just have a really bad feeling about all this anomlies nonsense. They left so much of the background to the world unexplored in XIII that they could probably have done a perfectly fine simple story about the survivors rebuilding after the purge and discovering what happened on Pulse. That they chose Serah of all the returning characters makes me very nervous that Toriyama is going to fuck it up, again.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Aeana said:
My hair is naturally curly, which is usually more of a blessing than a curse, but I guess not for some situations.

I did try to do my hair up that way and it actually looks pretty cute, but it also makes me look like I'm 16 years old. Definitely not something to wear around the office. It also took a really long time to get right.
I just tried to style my hair like that because I was curious. Whatever I had successfully gotten in the ponytail and clip just looks kind of dumb. You're right--the style does cry out "I'm a 16-year-old". Not exactly the kind of look I want to pull off right now. XD

It's hard to keep the shorter hair in the ponytail since my hair is straight, though (and I had just straightened it this morning, which makes me attempts even more in vain). I do have areas that are a little wavy, but for the most part, it's straight. I'd have to curl it to make the style look somewhat "competent".

Oh, RPG hairstyles, you so crazy.

Zoe said:
I guess I should clarify that that's listed as a "date" hairstyle :p
Ah, so it is in the video description. LOL, oh wow. I can just imagine the
"what the hell is that"
look my boyfriend would give me. XD

The butterfly hairclip in the video is adorable, though.

Huh, a lot of those styles in the related videos are on the side as well. You're right, it's quite popular over there.

Edit:
Die Squirrel Die said:
I just have a really bad feeling about all this anomlies nonsense. They left so much of the background to the world unexplored in XIII that they could probably have done a perfectly fine simple story about the survivors rebuilding after the purge and discovering what happened on Pulse. That they chose Serah of all the returning characters makes me very nervous that Toriyama is going to fuck it up, again.
Well, Toriyama said he wanted to choose Serah this time around because it underscores "family ties" or something like that. She played an important role in FFXIII (spurring Lightning and Snow on in their travels), so they figured that they'd give Serah her time to shine. Their reasons to include Noel make sense.

I can empathize: if this game involves time travel/dimension travel/anomalies, and Toriyama is at the helm, my hopes for a competent story are quite low. I'm waiting to be pleasantly surprised, but I'm not feeling very optimistic about it. It seems like they've learned, though. We'll see...

Brandon F said:
Would be nice if there was more stuff happening on-screen outside of battles though. FFXIII so far has been really static and bland when not in combat. I'll maybe feel differently when I finally reach Pulse, but 7 chapters in and Cocoon is so bloody lifeless.

The city of cacoon, which is the last chapter looks bloody amazing...best looking city ever in an FF along with Esther, and you can't do anything in it.

Thats what I fail to understand about SE, they have created a visual representation of an HD town, but they fail to populate them with anything interesting to do... I find their attitude/stubborness puzzling

Cornbread78

Dark Schala said:
I just tried to style my hair like that because I was curious. Whatever I had successfully gotten in the ponytail and clip just looks kind of dumb. You're right--the style does cry out "I'm a 16-year-old". Not exactly the kind of look I want to pull off right now. XD

It's hard to keep the shorter hair in the ponytail since my hair is straight, though (and I had just straightened it this morning, which makes me attempts even more in vain). I do have areas that are a little wavy, but for the most part, it's straight. I'd have to curl it to make the style look somewhat "competent".

Oh, RPG hairstyles, you so crazy.

Ah, so it is in the video description. LOL, oh wow. I can just imagine the
"what the hell is that"
look my boyfriend would give me. XD

The butterfly hairclip in the video is adorable, though.

Huh, a lot of those styles in the related videos are on the side as well. You're right, it's quite popular over there.

LOL, where back on the hair design thing again, lol. Feel free to post your cosplay hair design pics for fun, lol. Let's see how close to her you can get.

Teknoman

nelsonroyale said:
The city of cacoon, which is the last chapter looks bloody amazing...best looking city ever in an FF along with Esther, and you can't do anything in it.

Thats what I fail to understand about SE, they have created a visual representation of an HD town, but they fail to populate them with anything interesting to do... I find their attitude/stubborness puzzling

Thats what is so crazy about XIII. The whole first half of the game essentially takes place in a giant city for the most part. Pulse I can understand, but the online shops in populated areas was a cop out.

Cornbread78

nelsonroyale said:

Never Forget:

http://n4g.com/news/466976/no-towns-in-final-fantasy-xiii-because-they-are-too-much-work

LOL, I just found that link again..

Go_Ly_Dow

nelsonroyale said:

Grrr, I know! Such a let down. I remember running around Eden in awe, because it looked so amazing. It even had buildings and houses.

Really hoping that XIII-2 will have a location of the same scale, and this time they realize its potential.

xion4360

nelsonroyale said:

Final Fantasy XIII is the only game you have to base that assumption on, and it is natural to the setting and plot of XIII that you NOT be able to stop at those points to interact with NPC's and visit shot ect. You are a pulse L'Cie, everyone is trying to stay the F away from you.. what sense would it make if you could just merrily visit shops and chat with the people? It would be just as nonsensical to be able to do such a thing on Eden during a full scale invasion...

The other Square RPG The Last Remnant had plenty of large scale towns and NPC's. It made sense in that world.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Cornbread78 said:
LOL, where back on the hair design thing again, lol. Feel free to post your cosplay hair design pics for fun, lol. Let's see how close to her you can get.
No, that's quite all right. My hair's too short to pull it off right anyway.

nelsonroyale said:
Yes... In my opinion, FFXIII did have towns, but they were simply non-interactive setpieces. That's what was ultimately disappointing for me. They had these wonderful, shiny designs in Palumporum, Nautilus and Eden, and all of them seemed so misused, serving only as props and backgrounds in the grand, lengthy play that was Final Fantasy XIII. Chasing a baby Chocobo around a zoo shouldn't really count as interaction, imo... but it was a start.

But you can argue that Eden at least tried to be slightly interactive (with NPCs crying out for Eden's help), even if it was merely a battleground.

Thoraxes

Yoshichan said:
Good stuff! :)

I for one love the boob work Serah got O_O

wlKiu.jpg
Is it weird that I am SUPER EXCITED about this? Like I saw it and I was just totally happy. Between this and the leggings I am just one satisfied customer.
Also Light's legs.

Pooya

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/06/14/ffxiii_2_bits_from_dengeki/

Noel, the new guy who saw his debut in the E3 demo and trailers last week, appears to have a more prominent role than FFXIII main character Lightning. Toriyama says that rather than the game having dual heroes in Noel and Lightning, in terms of time spent under your control, you advance through the story mostly with Noel and FFXIII heroine Serah.

Snow, another primary character from FFXIII, will be appearing in XIII-2. Toriyama notes that he's not the type to be worried about the relationship between Noel and Serah.

You might have read something about the game having multiple endings. The game will also have an interactive conversation system called Live Trigger. Each time you play, the possible selections during dialogue will change. Toriyama says that this system is in place more for enjoying conversation rather than for the branching story.

One of the other major points learned at E3 is that the game will have towns. Toriyama says in the interview that the town residents will have individual AI.

Another major E3 surprise was that the game will have monster raising components. During battle, you can have one monster join your party, which can consist of three members (in addition to the Moogle). Your party will also sometimes have a guest character.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm starting to agree that this sounds a lot like Tales of Symphonia 2, heh. (Perhaps if you ever get guest members, they can take the slots of the monsters, then.)

But hey, if Noel ends up being a good character, then all might be good. I like what I've heard from him so far, but I'm not entirely sure about my feelings towards the game yet.

Gvaz said:
That's good. I never really liked her.
Neither did I. Hopefully the change in protagonist might be a nice change of pace.

Dark Schala said:
I'm starting to agree that this sounds a lot like Tales of Symphonia 2, heh. (Perhaps if you ever get guest members, they can take the slots of the monsters, then.)

But hey, if Noel ends up being a good character, then all might be good. I like what I've heard from him so far, but I'm not entirely sure about my feelings towards the game yet.

Neither did I. Hopefully the change in protagonist might be a nice change of pace.

I'm getting huge Dawn of the New World vibes from this too. Which isn't that bad, I actually liked that game.

Noel looks like he's gonna be way better than Light thus far, but we'll see if they fuck it up later on.

Sucks about Lighting. I would like to play as her again, great FF character. Still not keen on using monsters and what seems to be only two party members.

Droplet

I like Lightning but I actually kind of like the idea...except that it sounds like we're just going to have Noel and Serah the entire time plus some random dudes from the old cast joining at different times.

And holy shit I just realized how terribly sidelined every male character from the previous cast is. Even Serah got a spotlight over them. Wow.

Teknoman

Well at least this kills the chance of having to switch characters so many times. Still long for the days of having 4 characters fight at the same time.

TheChillyAcademic said:
Rarely if ever do I agree with you and I still hate Lightning, but the monster thing is TOTALLY not doing it for me.

Yeah, wasn't too big on the monster thing in Dawn of the New World either, so I expect I won't be too jazzed about it in this. The two character thing doesn't bug me, though.

Dead

well not really...yet
Im liking everything Im hearing about the game, but if there are indeed only 2 "real" party members throughout the game, that would be a major, major disappointment... :\

Pooya

They better have some other party members; Noel and Serah + guest character + monster sounds quite terrible and lazy, they will probably reveal them later, I hope. as long as I can get rid of Serah from the party and replace her with somebody else, I'm fine with this. >_<

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
AlphaDragoon said:
I'm getting huge Dawn of the New World vibes from this too. Which isn't that bad, I actually liked that game.

Noel looks like he's gonna be way better than Light thus far, but we'll see if they fuck it up later on.
I liked Dawn of the New World too (not my favourite Tales battle system, but I liked it enough). At least in that game, you didn't really have to use your monsters too much (outside of the occasional boss fight and dungeon) because a lot of the time, you had guest characters and could switch those guys in. I wasn't too keen on the monsters aspect of it either.

Watch Noel be worse than Hope or Snow. :/

Hopefully, parties won't be completely fixed, and will be flexible enough for the player. I didn't really mind using (bringing up DotNW again) Emil and Marta most of the time. But if I can switch party leaders (not during combat, I know that isn't possible), that'd be great.

Gvaz said:
Everyone liked Sazh because he was the most human.
Pretty much. The only guy who stood there wondering "what the fuck is wrong with the rest of you"? And then he ended up going with the flow towards the end of the game alongside everyone else.

Droplet

Dark Schala said:
Watch Noel be worse than Hope or Snow. :/

You could at least tell that Hope and Snow were going to be terrible though. I hate everything and I make terrible puns! Hero protect Serah! Noel seems a little like Fang to me except hopefully not. I hated her. Not as much as Vanille but still.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I have a feeling Noel will be like Tidus.

Top Bottom