• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 Hype/Info Thread [New Battle Videos and Screenshots]

TruePrime said:
Hmm well I disagree overall, but that is why I probably am just as cool with XIII and possibly XIII-2 given I love the battle system.
I think you whack son, a bunch of them have good stories.

FF6, FF7, FFT just off the top of my head as the obvious ones. Especially FFT. But yeah I won't get into it, as Kagari said, don't want to derail.

To be perfectly honest, I'm somewhat surprised that so many people put so much stock into these stories in the first place, to the point of not playing them if a certain writer is on board. Kinda baffles me, but to each his own.

Beth Cyra

-Pyromaniac- said:
I think you whack son, a bunch of them have good stories.

FF6, FF7, FFT just off the top of my head as the obvious ones. Especially FFT. But yeah I won't get into it, as Kagari said, don't want to derail.
Then why post it when that is exactly what you are doing?

And I didn't think any of those stories were good or great. 1 was decent and other two lame.

hsukardi

TruePrime said:
Well I don't really expect a good or even decent story. I do expect to have a character or two that I like.

I haven't found a single FF story to be good, so I don't see why I would hold it any more against XIII then I did it any of the rest of the games.

Tactics.

Electivirus said:
To be perfectly honest, I'm somewhat surprised that so many people put so much stock into these stories in the first place, to the point of not playing them if a certain writer is on board. Kinda baffles me, but to each his own.
yeah I agree. I would never boycott a game because a writer I don't like so much is doing it, but I will be super excited and clamour for a title if a good writer is involved, like Matsuno.

Speaking of Matsuno it's a shame he left S-E but thankfully landed at Level-5 and not some other dead end.

-Pyromaniac- said:
yeah I agree. I would never boycott a game because a writer I don't like so much is doing it, but I will be super excited and clamour for a title if a good writer is involved, like Matsuno.

Speaking of Matsuno it's a shame he left S-E but thankfully landed at Level-5 and not some other dead end.

I generally enjoy Matsuno stories, but that's mainly because of the well-written dialogue (gotta love those O. Smith localizations) and less because of the plots, which I find somewhat confusing.

Electivirus said:
I generally enjoy Matsuno stories, but that's mainly because of the well-written dialogue (gotta love those O. Smith localizations) and less because of the plots, which I find somewhat confusing.
what you say is confusing I say is intricate/complex/deep :p

Yes I'm a Matsuno fanboy, dealwitit.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
AuthenticM said:
Have they said anything regarding the number of people in your party? So far we've only seen two plus one monster.

Noel, Serah + a monster, and sometimes a guest character. And then sections where you play as Lightning.

Toth

Wow that's pretty fast. I guess that means the game's scenarios are complete. I wonder what the next three months will be focusing on.

I think the next 3 months is more polish and getting ready to promote the game heavily for sales. since it didnt make it for US holidays. but like FFX it still sold over 2million! I hope this game will be really polished and not have any errors. Hope the team moves on to start translating FF vs 13 and KH 3DS

Kagari said:
Noel, Serah + a monster, and sometimes a guest character. And then sections where you play as Lightning.

why does this make me think so much at symphonia DOW.... if think people in charge are missing the fact that we may want to play as old characters at full powers ... guest apprearance are fine , but not great... Even with whatever plot device they find , playing with old favorites should have been included i don't care what plot device they use to make them weaker at start ..

I wish i could play as FANG , sazh or HOPE and not as guests

Dunan

Wait, is it established that Noel is from the future, as in after the events of FFXIII; after many of the Cocoonians move to Pulse and colonize it?

In one of the trailer videos Noel says something about wanting a future/alternate reality "where everyone lives", but I got the impression that he was from Pulse's past, when there were many people living on Pulse as opposed to now.

Is this supposed to imply that human civilization died out on Pulse before FFXIII, and will die out again after that game ends?

I'm really confused now.

Famassu

What's so confusing? There's some apocalypse shit going on in the future and in a somewhat Terminator-like storyline Noel goes back in time to try to prevent that. Apparently this ties to something that has happened in Serah's time, and probably also to what Lightning is currently doing/the reason why she is not a part of the world Serah & the rest are living in.

Kagari said:
Wait... really? That's confirmed for the entire game, not only the beginning?

Famassu said:
What's so confusing? There's some apocalypse shit going on in the future and in a somewhat Terminator-like storyline Noel goes back in time to try to prevent that. Apparently this ties to something that has happened in Serah's time, and probably also to what Lightning is currently doing/the reason why she is not a part of the world Serah & the rest are living in.
Dude, SPOILERS!

Electivirus said:
I don't think it's that unreasonable in a game as cinematic and story-centric as FF (especially XIII). I don't think anyone is asking for master class stuff here, either. Just an enjoyable fantastical tale without too many offensive tropes.

I don't even hate XIII, so I'm not trying to be part of the hate force. I actually think it had a good concept and I like the FNC mythology. Just too many hamfisted moments they focused on. I think if you got rid of Serah from the story, that would be a big step in the right direction. We wouldn't have to listen to Snow shout "SERAH!!!" a million times or blabber on so much about protecting her and being "the HERO"

Lightning wouldn't have such a cheesy backstory.
"I changed my name to Lightning in order to be strong for my little sister after our parents died."
God that is so corny.

And those Vanille/Fang lesbian moments. Eugh.

I hate to be so negative, but yeah. :/

Pooya

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/09/06/dengeki_news_bits/

Dengeki also has a new report on Final Fantasy XIII this week. The magazine shows a new illustration and also details the game's prologue.

On the gameplay side of things, the magazine introduces the "Historiacross" feature. You use this to transfer between areas of the world, and as a means of time travel. You'll recall that main character Noel was revealed in Jump last week to be a time traveler, so this system presumably has something to do with this.

We'll hopefully have additional details later in the day once more reliable sources get the magazine.

so I think my theory was right, Bresha Ruins is 2 years into future. (2+3 -> 5 years after).........

Beth Cyra

Megidolaon said:
I don't think it's that unreasonable in a game as cinematic and story-centric as FF (especially XIII). I don't think anyone is asking for master class stuff here, either. Just an enjoyable fantastical tale without too many offensive tropes.

I don't even hate XIII, so I'm not trying to be part of the hate force. I actually think it had a good concept and I like the FNC mythology. Just too many hamfisted moments they focused on. I think if you got rid of Serah from the story, that would be a big step in the right direction. We wouldn't have to listen to Snow shout "SERAH!!!" a million times or blabber on so much about protecting her and being "the HERO"

Lightning wouldn't have such a cheesy backstory.
"I changed my name to Lightning in order to be strong for my little sister after our parents died."
God that is so corny.

I hate to be so negative, but yeah. :/
Given how lite the Lesbian themes are even in those scenes I don't see an issue with them. Now if you said scenes with Vanille I could understand but the scenes between her and Fang and the may/may not implied Lesbianism between the two seems an odd thing to complain about.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm expecting serious plotholes in this game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Megidolaon said:
What the heck? They were subtle as hell. I wanted MORE of that.

The lesbian stuff just seemed too fanservice-y, I dunno. Seemed like the female equivalent of the yaoi fangirl stuff, which I also dislike. But whatevs. That's probably just me.

Bah, anyways. Histori-across, huh? LOL! I wonder if the time travel concept was conceived to help them cut down on new HD! locations. They can just reuse past locations multiple times for different time periods! I kid, I kid

At least this probably means you'll have more freedom in where you go and can travel back to previous areas, unlike XIII.

Beth Cyra

Megidolaon said:
The lesbian stuff just seemed too fanservice-y, I dunno. Seemed like the female equivalent of the yaoi fangirl stuff, which I also dislike. But whatevs. That's probably just me.

Bah, anyways. Histori-across, huh? LOL! I wonder if the time travel concept was conceived to help them cut down on new HD! locations. They can just reuse past locations multiple times for different time periods! I kid, I kid

At least this probably means you'll have more freedom in where you go and can travel back to previous areas, unlike XIII.
I think I can kind of understand were you are coming from if they had played it up but they didn't.

They didn't kiss, they didn't touch each other in any real sort of romantic way, as it stands they aren't even canon lesbians (as far as I know) and it's just fan specualtion because of how close they are.

I just don't see how this can be to much, i mean if this is the limit then we won't ever get full on Gay/Lesbian relationships and to me that is really lame. As it stands we have tons and tons of hetero sexual romances in jrps and I really dislike the notion that Gay/Lesbian romances shouldn't be done simply because they could be labled as fan service were Hetero isn't.

I have been pushing for more gay romances on both sides for a while now, so long as it isn't fucking Makoto or whatever his name was from Enchanted Arms, I much rather see that then all the played out stero type Hero/heroine romances we keep getting.

I don't know, I just really can't sit well with the fact that a Lesbain/Gay romance is fan service when they don't do anything to the point it's all fan speculation.

TruePrime said:
I think I can kind of understand were you are coming from if they had played it up but they didn't.

They didn't kiss, they didn't touch each other in any real sort of romantic way, as it stands they aren't even canon lesbians (as far as I know) and it's just fan specualtion because of how close they are.

I just don't see how this can be to much, i mean if this is the limit then we won't ever get full on Gay/Lesbian relationships and to me that is really lame. As it stands we have tons and tons of hetero sexual romances in jrps and I really dislike the notion that Gay/Lesbian romances shouldn't be done simply because they could be labled as fan service were Hetero isn't.

I have been pushing for more gay romances on both sides for a while now, so long as it isn't fucking Makoto or whatever his name was from Enchanted Arms, I much rather see that then all the played out stero type Hero/heroine romances we keep getting.

I don't know, I just really can't sit well with the fact that a Lesbain/Gay romance is fan service when they don't do anything to the point it's all fan speculation.
Oh, don't get me wrong, I really don't like most FF straight romances either. It's not the fact that they're chicks, and I know there was no real showing of anything. Just seemed kinda mushy is all. Even more so with Snow/Serah. Eugh. Squall/Rinoa? Bleck. Zidane/Garnet? Ick. those were "fanservice-y" also imo, in a way. FF romance in general is just too mushy. Only FF couples I liked were Balthier/Fran in FFXII and Cloud/Tifa in FFVII.

If a gay/les couple was written into a game that was done well and not mushy, I would be ok. Like
Kanji
in Persona 4. heck, if Persona 5 does gay relations in a mature well written way, I would be just fine.

Beth Cyra

Megidolaon said:
Oh, don't get me wrong, I really don't like most FF straight romances either. It's not the fact that they're chicks, and I know there was no real showing of anything. Just seemed kinda mushy is all. Even more so with Snow/Serah. Eugh. Squall/Rinoa? Bleck. Zidane/Garnet? Ick. those were "fanservice-y" also imo, in a way. FF romance in general is just too mushy. Only FF couples I liked were Balthier/Fran in FFXII and Cloud/Tifa in FFVII.

If a gay/les couple was written into a game that was done well and not mushy, I would be ok. Like
Kanji
in Persona 4.
Eh i like cute and mushy and happily ever afters.

Thing is I don't really see Vanille and Fang as such given tons of people, even part of which who liked XIII, even view Vanille as Lesbian but try to put her with hope or some shit. Not only that but I don't even like Vanille.

So I respect your opinion and everything but I do hope they continue to have their romances for better or worse, I don't want straight romances to go away and I want to see more Gay/Lesbian relationship as we move forward.

TruePrime said:
Eh i like cute and mushy and happily ever afters.

Thing is I don't really see Vanille and Fang as such given tons of people, even part of which who liked XIII, even view Vanille as Lesbian but try to put her with hope or some shit. Not only that but I don't even like Vanille.

So I respect your opinion and everything but I do hope they continue to have their romances for better or worse, I don't want straight romances to go away and I want to see more Gay/Lesbian relationship as we move forward.
Yeah, I don't want romance to go away per se.

Just lay it on a little less thick. With FF it usually is guy meets girl. Girl needs to be rescued or protected. Boy protects/rescues girl. They fall in love. Eh, it's too predicable and cliche.

Most of the FF heroines are really damsely/princess-y. Rosa, Aerith, Rinoa, Garnet, Yuna, Serah. They all are kinda lame to varying degrees.

Beth Cyra

Megidolaon said:
Yeah, I don't want romance to go away per se.

Just lay it on a little less thick. With FF it usually is guy meets girl. Girl needs to be rescued or protected. Boy protects/rescues girl. They fall in love. Eh, it's too predicable and cliche.

Most of the FF heroines are really damsely/princess-y. Rosa, Aerith, Rinoa, Garnet, Yuna, Serah. They all are kinda lame to varying degrees.
I like Rinoa and Yuna because they very much have the potentail to be far stronger then their male counter parts, but the rest I agree with.

I to like it when they step away from the chilches a bit.

Droplet

Perfo said:
I think they're really doing what I've hope, a system in which you can travel the same world at different times seeing the changes, A Link to the Past all over again! – or perhaps it's something more close to Chrono trigger. HYPED!

That would be cool if done right. I have to wonder though, does this mean we'll also be seeing other characters at different points in time too? Like we see Hope in the trailer, are we seeing him at 17 (probably) or 19, 5 years in the future? Would they be creating different designs for those? What about Serah, she's probably traveling to times she still exists in, right? Would she be able to meet herself?

Aaaaaand I'm done. I have difficulties with time travel plots.

Rarutos

Kagari said:
Aaaaah, I was afraid of this since I heard there would be a monster system... :( Is it really true? If so, I'm a very sad panda.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Shadow780 said:
I'd time travel to the pre-production phase and smack the writers.
Well they said they had so little time so they did very little or no preproduction at all this time! So you can't even do that lol

Droplet said:
That would be cool if done right. I have to wonder though, does this mean we'll also be seeing other characters at different points in time too? Like we see Hope in the trailer, are we seeing him at 17 (probably) or 19, 5 years in the future? Would they be creating different designs for those? What about Serah, she's probably traveling to times she still exists in, right? Would she be able to meet herself?

Aaaaaand I'm done. I have difficulties with time travel plots.

There is potential for this .. seeing a grown up HOPE , or a fang -vanille 100 years later ( still intact because they were frozen )...

IMO there is potential for lots of things

Rarutos said:
Aaaaah, I was afraid of this since I heard there would be a monster system... :( Is it really true? If so, I'm a very sad panda.
It's reasonably likely that by the very end of the game it'll be Noel + Serah + Lightning + a monster or something like that.

Rpgmonkey

Time travel? Yeah, that never turns out to be a bad idea for a JRPG plot...

Looking forward to the story now just to see how crazy it gets.

If this is sort of like Radiant Historia, then my interest has shot up again. Open time travel and JRPGs tend to go well together.
Also, I'm not deterred by the Monster System, simply for that fact that the flan-type can do a Hyakkurestsu Ken (In the video, you can even hear the ATATATATATATATA).

JoeFenix

3rd birthday had time travel elements and that turned out amazing plot wise. Don't know why you guys are up in arms about this!

Top Bottom