• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 Hype/Info Thread [New Battle Videos and Screenshots]

.la1n

I loved playing as Serah in FFXIII so to see her as a main character is fantastic. Noel I could do without but perhaps he will be better handled in this game.

edit: wow I messed that up, I loved HER CHARACTER in FF XIII :|

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Wow, many many DLCs they are preparing. Let's hope here in Europe Gamestop and co. give us more than one item for each pre-order.

Btw, I never noticed before this part from the E3/Eurogamer/TGS demo:

After dodging his attacks once more, we charge up one more attack through another Cinematic Action scene and destroy Atlas. However, after destroying him, many of Bresha Ruin's buildings are restored, and bridges are rebuilt, along with certain architecture. It appears that Atlas was a paradox in time, and defeating him eliminated the paradox. This is where the demo ends.

... so this is how it works.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
The first episode of Lost Report is up. It's just a video with spliced together scenes from the game with Yaag narrating over the top. So far it seems to just be a really dull summary of game events (technically events before the first game began.)

Meh, I probably won't translate this. I hate doing video since it requires way too much pause and replaying for my taste. I was so hoping it would be another written story (but I'm probably the only one!)

shiroryu

Lissar said:
I was so hoping it would be another written story (but I'm probably the only one!)
You are not alone.

I would love a written story intro, there's just way more info you can get across as compared to a cinematic. I didn't know of this for FFXIII, and so ended up missing a lot of FFXIII mythology before playing ( and quitting it 70% in). Added to which I'm a mythology buff.

I understand you translated it for the last one. Any links you could share? Or do FF wikis have all of this?

Lissar

Reluctant Member
shiroryu said:
You are not alone.

I would love a written story intro, there's just way more info you can get across as compared to a cinematic. I didn't know of this for FFXIII, and so ended up missing a lot of FFXIII mythology before playing ( and quitting it 70% in). Added to which I'm a mythology buff.

I understand you translated it for the last one. Any links you could share? Or do FF wikis have all of this?

You can probably get a very good summary on the wikis. All of my original translations are here: http://dilly-shilly.blogspot.com/2011/02/ffxiii-master-list.html if you haven't read them already.

I know a lot of people don't want to have to do extra reading for a game, and I can understand that. Games are meant to be interactive experiences after all, and reading is distinctly passive. Personally I love reading just about everything I can get my hands on, so the more extra material about a game that I can get the better.

Perfo

Lissar said:
The first episode of Lost Report is up. It's just a video with spliced together scenes from the game with Yaag narrating over the top. So far it seems to just be a really dull summary of game events (technically events before the first game began.)

Is he alive!? TIME PARADOX!

Lissar

Reluctant Member
Perfo said:
Is he alive!? TIME PARADOX!

Haha, as much as I wish he'd be alive (I loved his character...) based on the fact that these are "lost reports" they are most likely supposed to be occurring during the game and conveniently "found" later.

I was really hoping they would give more of a unique perspective on the events, but I guess it's just meant to bring people up to speed on the events of the first game if they didn't play it, so there isn't much embellishing. Oh well.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Lissar said:

Meh, I probably won't translate this. I hate doing video since it requires way too much pause and replaying for my taste. I was so hoping it would be another written story (but I'm probably the only one!)
Ugh, really? I'm not gonna check it out then. Doesn't seem worth it.

Yeah, I wanted something written too. They way they were going on about it, I honestly thought it was going to be another novella type of thing.

I know a lot of people don't want to have to do extra reading for a game, and I can understand that.
To be completely honest, I wish the Episode 0 content had been in the game (ie: more in-depth than it already was). I felt like I had gotten to know the characters a little better by reading it (and that's why I sympathize a lot with Sazh and a bit with Hope. I probably would not have sympathized with them as much as I did if I have only played the game). Its inclusion would probably have helped the story a little bit, or maybe even the character development.

I doubt the Episode 1 content will be in FFXIII-2 since it's on the JP website.

shiroryu

Lissar said:
You can probably get a very good summary on the wikis. All of my original translations are here: http://dilly-shilly.blogspot.com/2011/02/ffxiii-master-list.html if you haven't read them already.

I know a lot of people don't want to have to do extra reading for a game, and I can understand that. Games are meant to be interactive experiences after all, and reading is distinctly passive. Personally I love reading just about everything I can get my hands on, so the more extra material about a game that I can get the better.
Thanks! Reading material for the day? week? month? found :D

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
More dlc plans announced...

Additional boss Omega... you can capture it and use in your party.
Original costumes for Serah and Noel.
These will release after the game is out in Japan, and are expected in December/January.

MrDenny

Kagari said:

These will release after the game is out in Japan, and are expected in December/January.
Glad, we can change serah's clothes. Her current clothes just look off.

Kagari said:

I just noticed that's the pre-order bonus from Amazon in NA

Perfo

Kagari said:

Plus OMEGA will be available at amazon.com for preorders :p

Pre-order Bonus
Pre-order Final Fantasy XIII-2 and get the Omega boss battle, a unique coliseum battle against boss enemy Omega. Omega joins the player's party after being defeated. Access code will be e-mailed within two business days after your order ships. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com, while supplies last. Limit one per customer. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time. Please read the PlayStation Network and Xbox Live

edit: I'm OLD! *.*

I'm still waiting for DLC Episodes to be announced >.<'

Kagari said:

Omega Weapons.

...They're doing so much stuff right with this game, at least on paper, it's funny.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Perfo said:
Plus OMEGA will be available at amazon.com for preorders :p

edit: I'm OLD! *.*

I'm still waiting for DLC Episodes to be announced >.<'

lol
Somehow I don't think that's going to happen.

Perfo

Kagari said:
lol
Somehow I don't think that's going to happen.

Yeah... I'm starting to lose hope about it but that damn time-travelling structure would make for a perfect post-release story content, that's why I can't stop asking. Also, why Square Enix must always be the last one introducing the novelties of the industry? No DLC in FFXIII at all when everyone else was already releasing small stuff in their games, and now that the same small stuff gets released for FFXIII-2, everyone else (like Bioware or Bethesda) are releasing far bigger and better content for their RPGs.

I mean, c'mon Square Enix... I just WANT to give you MORE money, you can't be deaf about this :D

I can give you some idea too:

- an episode 0 tale not told in the original game
- a lost tale about the origins of Caius
- a chapter inbetween FF13 and FF13-2 events
- a final chapter like ME2's "The Arrival" anticipating the events of XIII-3 (if it's coming)

SIGH T.T

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Their model for Dissidia 012 must have been a success, and is probably why they've continued it here.

Honestly it's for the better, as it's all fluff anyway.

Here's for other retailers:

GameStop®

Receive an exclusive in-game item by preordering at GameStop e/retailers

- Alternate costume for Serah, visible throughout the game

Amazon®

Omega Boss Battle

- Unique coliseum battle against boss enemy “Omega,” who joins the player’s party afterward

Best Buy®

Collectible Hardcover Book

- FINAL FANTASY XIII –Episode i– novella, an original story that ties together the events of FINAL FANTASY XIII and FINAL FANTASY XIII-2

These preorder initiatives are for North America exclusively and may not reflect preorder content available in other territories.

Perfo

Kagari said:
Best Buy®

Collectible Hardcover Book

- FINAL FANTASY XIII –Episode i– novella, an original story that ties together the events of FINAL FANTASY XIII and FINAL FANTASY XIII-2

I guess this is the best to consider buying, because all the other stuff you can probably in the near future download as a DLC, while this is sort of exclusive. Anyway I'm from Europe so I'm waiting for some Limited Edition announcement hoping it includes multiple stuff :p

Toth

I like the book but which novella is this? Is this the extra episode from the Japan XBox release?

I also like the Amazon preorder but I want to pick my game up the day of release ; ;

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Toth said:
I like the book but which novella is this? Is this the extra episode from the Japan XBox release?

I also like the Amazon preorder but I want to pick my game up the day of release ; ;

Yes.

Zoe

Damn, this stuff almost makes me wanna get the US version too :\

Toth said:

They should have release-day delivery.

Toth

Zoe said:
Damn, this stuff almost makes me wanna get the US version too :\

They should have release-day delivery.

True true but I am one of those crazy gamers who still like to pick up his favorite games from retail XD

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
...Upon thinking about it more, I don't really care about different stores having different preorder bonuses. I think the practice is dumb, but I don't really care about the bonuses themselves.

The most enticing one out of all of the bonuses is the book, but I've read Episode 1 already so it loses some of its lustre.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder how large the book will be. Given that Episode i hardly qualifies as a novella. It's really more like a short story.

Zoe

entrydenied said:
I wonder how large the book will be. Given that Episode i hardly qualifies as a novella. It's really more like a short story.

Should be the same thing as what came with the Japanese 360 version of the first game, right?

xxczx

Waiting for the obligatory Europe limited edition
Toth said:
True true but I am one of those crazy gamers who still like to pick up his favorite games from retail XD
Hey, nothing wrong in getting that satisfactory feeling when paying for the game and walking out the shop with the bag for it, lol.

Perfo

OMG, I'm crying: official 8-bit gorgeous music (Light Theme, Blinded by Light ~) created for the FFXIII's story summary found in the respective official site:

Click here to listen.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
http://nycc11.mapyourshow.com/5_0/sessions/sessiondetails.cfm?ScheduledSessionID=1AAACA

New York Comic Con attendees are invited to join “East Meets West: Art Direction for a Worldwide Audience” on Friday, Oct. 14 from 10:45 a.m. to 11:45 a.m. for an exclusive panel presenting concept and finished art from FINAL FANTASY® XIII-2 and DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION™. Moderated by industry consultant and former Newsweek senior writer, N’Gai Croal, the panel will include an in-depth discussion between Isamu Kamikokuryo, art director of FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 and Jonathan Jacques-Belletête, art director of DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Just saw the TGS trailer on PSN... way to kill my hype. All I see is stupid teenager drama and the same battles, and I had enough of all that in XIII. The designs and the tone of the story seem to have taken a dive if that was even possible. Supossedly this has sidequests and open towns and stuff like that right? but all I saw in the trailer was XIII part 2, which admittedly is the title of the game, but I was expecting something better and a bit different, not something like this which seems to totally pander to the core fanbase of XIII, which I am not part of. Definetly gonna wait for impressions before buying it. Damn you Square, are you really going to make me wait until FFXV?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Perfo said:
OMG, I'm crying: official 8-bit gorgeous music (Light Theme, Blinded by Light ~) created for the FFXIII's story summary found in the respective official site:

Click here to listen.
Prior to listening: Is this going to be better than those fanmixes on YouTube like this and this?

After listening: It uses the channels a little better, yeah. Not a fan of that percussion channel though; it's a little jarring. I like some of the fan stuff a little better, though.

Perfo

It seems Dengeki PlayStation has a new interview to the producer/director of FFXIII-2, andriasang is offering a summary of some of the contents discussed in it – mostly about DLCs and monsters:

Final Fantasy XIII-2 is getting paid download content. But two questions remain: how much, and how much?

Regarding the first how much, producer Yoshinori Kitase told Dengeki PlayStation this week that the game will have a large amount of DLC. As a rough schedule, he said to expect one to two updates every month, each containing multiple items.

As for the other how much, Kitase said that they're not able to speak about the contents' price yet. He promised a good balance between price and the quality that customers will accept.

Square Enix has already announced a few pieces of DLC so far, including costumes, weapons and enemies. Kitase said to expect the content to be more involved than just downloading an item or weapon. The content will also be mixed in with play elements, where you have to defeat a monster in order to get an item, for instance.

Kitase confirmed that the game's downloadable costumes and weapons will show up in event scenes. They're currently making the necessary adjustments to get this working.

Outside of the interview with Kitase and director Motomu Toriyama, the Dengeki story provided a detailed look at the game's "Summon Raid" and "Syncro Drive Gauge" systems.

Summon Raid (I'm not sure if this is the actual English name) involves capturing monsters for use in battle. Here's the general flow of this system:

During battle, some percentage of your foes will turn to crystal. The percentage is dependent on the monster.
You can set your Summon Raid with up to three monsters. The monsters have specific roles.
During battle, as you switch Paradigms, the monsters will automatically swap in and out in accordance with their roles.
Synchro Drive Gauge is a special move system for your monster allies. When you have a monster taking part in battle, it builds up its Synchro Guage. When this builds up all the way, the monster will unleash a powerful special move. These may have quick timer events.

.la1n

Playing through FF XIII again to get ready for this, this would be my first repeat play through in quite a long time - I missed a lot of small details the first time through and although the story is pretty off the wall it has it's charms. It's so dirt cheap now I don't see any reason for anyone not to give it a go if you haven't - it's not a terrible game.

Lily

anyone else feel rather uncomfortable about the fact that they are shilling their DLC way before the game is even out? put it in the main game you shysters.

Top Bottom