• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

turnbuckle

What this game really needs as an add-on is a 100 floor battle dungeon, tuned to challenge players with a maxed-out crystarium. Bosses every 10 floors should be 100% capturable with Feral Link finisher.

Yes, I would love this. The tower in Lufia 2 is what sealed it as one of my favorite RPGs ever.
I'd love to have something similar but start at level 1. You catch whatever you can, upgrade whichever roles you want, but are limited by the number of monsters per floor. Well, I'd love to have both. Some reason to play my super powered characters would be nice.

MechaX

What this game really needs as an add-on is a 100 floor battle dungeon, tuned to challenge players with a maxed-out crystarium. Bosses every 10 floors should be 100% capturable with Feral Link finisher.

To expand even further on this great idea, I would love something along the vein of the Amala Labyrinth from Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne; it would be completely optional, but it serves to challenge the player (from level 1 and even beyond maxed out crystariums). In reward for your progress, you get powerful monsters but also get some pretty key, missing details on the overall story. And to reward you in completing it, you can get a drastically different ending.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yes, I would love this. The tower in Lufia 2 is what sealed it as one of my favorite RPGs ever.
I'd love to have something similar but start at level 1. You catch whatever you can, upgrade whichever roles you want, but are limited by the number of monsters per floor. Well, I'd love to have both. Some reason to play my super powered characters would be nice.
To add to that, FFXIII-2 needs more puzzles like this:

FqQsU.jpg

But all joking aside, I wouldn't be against the idea of a 100-floor EX Dungeon at all. Start at level one/lock away some of your abilities a la Ultimecia's Castle, make it much much much harder than the main game/postgame, etc.

I'll finally be picking this up tomorrow.. about time. Does anyone know of any deals going on for this game at all? I've tried cheapassgamer but can't find any. Also is the LE worth it ?

aceface

I'll finally be picking this up tomorrow.. about time. Does anyone know of any deals going on for this game at all? I've tried cheapassgamer but can't find any. Also is the LE worth it ?

On the LE: If you would have bought the soundtrack anyways, yes. If you were not going to buy the soundtrack, don't bother.

rataven

I definitely dig the idea of a multi-floor dungeon for maxed characters in XIII-2. Would really give this game's battle system a chance to shine. And the coliseum could have easily been built around this idea. Challenge dungeons in an FF are always welcome. Via Infinito was my favorite part of X-2.

ZenaxPure

So, I had a friend over last night while I was playing this for a bit. I was trying to debuff yomi, and kept going to the abilities menu each time to do it. "Why don't you just use repeat" "what"

I had no god damn idea that existed.

Whoa, that's crazy! I could not imagine playing the game without repeat at this point, been using it since the first mecha-shark man at the start of the original FF13.

I still don't really know how to encounter paradox endings..

For most of the endings, you'll first need to beat the game, then go to Serendipity and get the Paradox Scope Fragment Skill. Make sure it's turned on, and look up a FAQ to find out how to find all the different endings.

There are three Paradox Endings you don't need the Paradox Scope for, though. I'll get you started on those:

Close the Bresha Ruins -5 AF- gate, replay the area, and defeat Atlas without weakening him first. Can be done with a decent end-of-the-main-game party.

Close the Sunleth Waterscape -300 AF- game, replay the area, but fight Royal Ripeness at its maximum strength (basically, turn right around and fight it again after the first fight with it). Can also be done with a decent end-story party.

Close the Academia -4XX AF- gate and replay the area all the way to Serah's solo dream in Hollow Seclusion/New Bodhum -??? AF-. When the fake Lightning asks if Serah if she wants to stay there in her dream, select "Yes."

For the rest of the Paradox Endings, you'll need the Paradox Scope, and for three of them at least, you'll need a very strong post-game party (maxed out Crystariums and strong monsters are ideal). Once you're ready, you can easily look those up in a FAQ.

Hope this helped!

Meier

For most of the endings, you'll first need to beat the game, then go to Serendipity and get the Paradox Scope Fragment Skill. Make sure it's turned on, and look up a FAQ to find out how to find all the different endings.

There are three Paradox Endings you don't need the Paradox Scope for, though. I'll get you started on those:

Close the Bresha Ruins -5 AF- gate, replay the area, and defeat Atlas without weakening him first. Can be done with a decent end-of-the-main-game party.

Close the Sunleth Waterscape -300 AF- game, replay the area, but fight Royal Ripeness at its maximum strength (basically, turn right around and fight it again after the first fight with it). Can also be done with a decent end-story party.

Close the Academia -4XX AF- gate and replay the area all the way to Serah's solo dream in Hollow Seclusion/New Bodhum -??? AF-. When the fake Lightning asks if Serah if she wants to stay there in her dream, select "Yes."

For the rest of the Paradox Endings, you'll need the Paradox Scope, and for three of them at least, you'll need a very strong post-game party (maxed out Crystariums and strong monsters are ideal). Once you're ready, you can easily look those up in a FAQ.

Hope this helped!
Very cool, thanks for the heads up. I figured it involved closing gates but hadn't used that function yet. Do I do these things and then fight the final boss again and it shows then rather than the standard with
Serah and Noel coming back to Academia 500 AF then Serah dying?
I've been trying to gain extra fragments for the heck of it because I only have about 80.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
To add to that, FFXIII-2 needs more puzzles like this:

FqQsU.jpg

But all joking aside, I wouldn't be against the idea of a 100-floor EX Dungeon at all. Start at level one/lock away some of your abilities a la Ultimecia's Castle, make it much much much harder than the main game/postgame, etc.

Oh god, those puzzles were insane to the point you can't progress anymore if you're not patient.

Though Alundra takes the cake for having the hardest puzzles in JRPGs.

Very cool, thanks for the heads up. I figured it involved closing gates but hadn't used that function yet. Do I do these things and then fight the final boss again and it shows then rather than the standard with
Serah and Noel coming back to Academia 500 AF then Serah dying?
I've been trying to gain extra fragments for the heck of it because I only have about 80.

No, you don't need to fight the final boss again to view any of the Paradox Endings. After you fulfill the requirements for a Paradox Ending, you'll either get to see it immediately or you'll unlock a new time period on the Historia Crux that, when selected, plays the Paradox Ending (for example, as soon as you
defeat Royal Ripeness at its maximum strength, you're immediately kicked out to the Historia Crux where Sunleth Waterscape -??? AF- is unlocked, and you select that to view the ending

The only ending you need to fight the final boss again to see is the secret ending, but that's not until you've gotten all 160 Fragments. Basically, you get all the Fragments, turn the Paradox Scope on, beat the final boss again, and the secret ending plays after the credits roll.

But yeah, the Paradox Endings do not "replace" the regular ending. They're just for fun "what if?" scenarios. The only canon endings are the regular ending
where, as you said, Serah and Noel come back to Academia -500 AF-, Serah dies, and time gets swallowed by Valhalla
, and the secret ending.

Whoa, that's crazy! I could not imagine playing the game without repeat at this point, been using it since the first mecha-shark man at the start of the original FF13.

About half way through FF13-2 I realised pressing the X button for every attack actually does nothing. Not sure why I did it, just got into the habit of ryhthmically pressing X.

I hope I'm not the only one.

ZenaxPure

About half way through FF13-2 I realised pressing the X button for every attack actually does nothing. Not sure why I did it, just got into the habit of ryhthmically pressing X.

Can't say I did that one, haha. Another thing I rarely see people talk about: you can control the camera in combat, in both 13 and 13-2. I did not realize that until I was near the end of 13-2. It's actually handy on a few fights such as Long Gui so you can see both of his feet to know when he is about to stomp.

I'm listening to the soundtrack right now, and man... as much as I like both of the standard battle themes, the battle theme for
A Dying World -700 AF-
REALLY should have been the main battle theme. It's just amazing. Gives me goosebumps every time.

Using it for that part of the story specifically did help it stand out, though.

That was a problem in FF13 for me as well. I kept pressing x in hopes it would move stuff faster so I could input commands more. I found I keep doing that while FF13-2 even though I knew it did nothing.

Can't say I did that one, haha. Another thing I rarely see people talk about: you can control the camera in combat, in both 13 and 13-2. I did not realize that until I was near the end of 13-2. It's actually handy on a few fights such as Long Gui so you can see both of his feet to know when he is about to stomp.

D:
What? That is pretty nifty. Is it with the right analog stick?

ZenaxPure

What? That is pretty nifty. Is it with the right analog stick?

Yeah, right analog stick. I remember seeing someone in this thread early on talking about using the right analog stick on the loading screens in 13-2 and then I was just like "What if I tried this in other places!?" Turned out it worked in combat.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, right analog stick. I remember seeing someone in this thread early on talking about using the right analog stick on the loading screens in 13-2 and then I was just like "What if I tried this in other places!?" Turned out it worked in combat.
That was probably me. Yeah, the loading screens seemed less boring when you rotated the light with the stick.

Game should've required an install.

Edit: I had no idea people didn't know they could rotate the camera in battles, though! Whoa! I did that in FFXIII when the camera started doing dumb crap when I was trying to pay attention to enemy animations.

duckroll

That was probably me. Yeah, the loading screens seemed less boring when you rotated the light with the stick.

Game should've required an install.

I personally think they should have moved the area narration into the loading screen instead. It would help pace the loading better, instead of just having a really long "time tunnel" repeating.

Do I need every
Paradox version of Caius
to get the bestiary fragment?

You should probably put stuff like that behind a spoiler tag, but that's just me...

But yes, you do. Also, it's possible to lose the
solo Noel vs. Caius battle in A Dying World -700 AF-
and still continue the story, so if you lost that battle originally, you'll need to go back and win it to get that Bestiary entry.

Incidentally, you also need the Paradox version of
Proto fal'Cie Adam
as well as every version of it that you fight by choosing the wrong Live Trigger responses between fights.

Nose Master

I've been having a hard time with Yomi, I try to debuff him but sometimes by the time I actually get poison to work, he turns that stupid shield ability on.

Dont bother with debuffs other than Imperil after he starts getting all 4 buffs during his shield. You'll waste too much time trying to debuff him, and won't do enough damage to make up for what he heals during the next phase. Imperil should stick after 1 or 2 rounds of casting it, and then you can go rav/rav/rav or rav/rav/com anytime you're near full HP.

chri5t

I personally think they should have moved the area narration into the loading screen instead. It would help pace the loading better, instead of just having a really long "time tunnel" repeating.

I personally believe the loading screens were one of the most beautiful aspects of the game.

DAT 60 FPS LOADING SCREEN

Esura

Banned
Man, how can you even play FFXIII/FFXIII-2 without knowing about repeat. Noobs! :D

Edit: I had no idea people didn't know they could rotate the camera in battles, though! Whoa! I did that in FFXIII when the camera started doing dumb crap when I was trying to pay attention to enemy animations.

Wait....there is a repeat function AND you move camera around during battles in FFXIII/XIII-2? Why don't they tell you this?

*mind blown*

RedAssedApe

Banned
Wait....there is a repeat function AND you move camera around during battles in FFXIII/XIII-2? Why don't they tell you this?

*mind blown*

In these people's defense...no one reads instruction manuals or looks at tutorials buried within menus. ;)

Plus the camera movement is so slow it almost feels like its fighting against you sometimes.

duckroll

Man...PSN download speeds are such ass sometimes. I'm on a 10Mbps connection and it takes 5 minutes to download a f-ing 33MB update.

I believe patches and firmware updates are delivered through a slightly different system from the PS Store. I tend to get amazing speeds from PSN itself when downloading stuff from the store, but butt speeds when updated firmware and patches.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I believe patches and firmware updates are delivered through a slightly different system from the PS Store. I tend to get amazing speeds from PSN itself when downloading stuff from the store, but butt speeds when updated firmware and patches.

Whatever it is...it sucks. I want to sneak some gameplay in before I go to bed and this is taking forever.

They're not up in NA Xbox MP. They should be out next week alongside Sahz dlc.

Well then...
Was holding off playing FF13-2 till after dlc costume so that I wouldn't beat the game and have no reason to replay it. I thought it was coming out today and was planning to beat it before I get SFxT but looks like that is not happening anymore. O well

Nose Master

So, I missed 2 fragments near the end of the game, at
New Bodham ???. I didn't get the Fang and Vanille fragments. Is the fastest path to revisiting that area closing the gate and following from academia 4xx?

Top Bottom