• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 TGS News Thread [New Details, One Disc On 360]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand the point of these trailers. They're just poorly-connected strings of emotional moments that are rendered meaningless by the overall lack of context.

Airgetlam

Droplet said:
Is it Liam O'Brien? My speaker quality is a bit off but it sounds like him.

I also thought he sounded familiar. Turns out he did the voice of Kain in Dissidia and in the DS remake of FFIV. Both characters all in purple...

English Noel sounds like a boss. I laughed when he started clowning on Snow, even though I'm not entirely sure why he's clowning on him. And look, Noel can make his point without being a douchebag and punching someone in the face for no reason.

English theme song is pretty bad, IMO. I like Charice's voice but the song itself is bleh.

duckroll

Airgetlam said:
I also thought he sounded familiar. Turns out he did the voice of Kain in Dissidia and in the DS remake of FFIV. Both characters all in purple...

Type-cast dragoon confirmed?

Beth Cyra

AlphaDragoon said:
English Noel sounds like a boss. I laughed when he started clowning on Snow, even though I'm not entirely sure why he's clowning on him. And look, Noel can make his point without being a douchebag and punching someone in the face for no reason.

English theme song is pretty bad, IMO. I like Charice's voice but the song itself is bleh.
Snow also isn't dating/having sex with Noel's little sister and saying stupid shit right after he and the rest of the group got turned into Monsters.

Just sayin.

As for the story doesn't seem that great. I want to hope and believe that the Mr. Purple actually kills Noel as I already can't stand the douche, just wish he had stuck his sword through Serah as well.

TruePrime said:
As for the story doesn't seem that great. I want to hope and believe that the Mr. Purple actually kills Noel as I already can't stand the douche, just wish he had stuck his sword through Serah as well.

LOL, that Kaias guy is probably gonna get beat down by Noel/Serah at the end of the game.

Beth Cyra

AlphaDragoon said:
LOL, that Kaias guy is probably gonna get beat down by Noel/Serah at the end of the game.
Him losing to those two fools will be a bigger travesty then any other thing that has happened in either XIII or XIII-2.

duckroll

Droplet said:
There's something kind of confusing about the beginning of the PS3 trailer. Just the way that Snow phrases what he's saying makes it sound that Lightning just waltzed over to the pillar and became a part of it.

Yeah, I think that happened in the post-FFXIII short story novella that came with the FXIII 360 JP package.

damn, they really need to fire the script writer. And the translation...:

'What? You mean he can't die ever.'

I really dispise the basic plot... FFXIII was the characters chasing after Sarah in large part, now they are high tailing it after lightning. Sarah still seems tedious and flat as a character, and it boggles my mind why they made her of all the characters the focus here. Lightning was in general a poorly thought out character in the original, despite having a pretty good aesthetic design, and I can't say I am particularly enthused by the premise.

FF plots have always been very convoluted, but FFXIII easily had the worst of the bunch.

Pooya

duckroll said:
Yeah, I think that happened in the post-FFXIII short story novella that came with the FXIII 360 JP package.

From what I remember of that story, Lightning just disappears when everyone is busy doing other stuff and no one notices when/how. I guess this is just what Snow thinks has happened.

duckroll

miladesn said:
From what I remember of that story, Lightning just disappears when everyone is busy doing other stuff and no one notices when/how. I guess this is just what Snow thinks.

Right. She literally walks away and disappears.

The "Promise" trailer hints at Lightning becoming someone really powerful, right? The premise starts to sound more and more lame: here we have this powerful character from FFXIII, yet most likely we are forced to play the whole game using Serah/Noel?

duckroll

Droplet said:
Yeah, that's why I'm more confused as to why he comes to that conclusion. It's just so randomly out there.

Snow is dumb? I don't see how it's a stretch. It's pretty in-character!

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Droplet said:
Is it Liam O'Brien? My speaker quality is a bit off but it sounds like him.

Indeed, IT'S GRIMOIRE WEISS!

Lips aren't synced by the way! Don't rag on that of all things!

Yes, they said that in the BLOG too. Full game will have english lips sync like the original one. Despite duckroll's trolling, english VA in the original XIII was good enough – and it all started with the same trailers with voice acting attached badly on the japanese trailers. Not good as much as the japanese one, but nothing to complain about as a western player. Unless something changed, I expect XIII-2 to have the same quality :p

shiroryu

Fimbulvetr said:
You will cringe when you hear Japanese Larsa.

You know how English Larsa sounds both naive and sophisticated at the same time?

Japanese Larsa sounds like a moron. Completely failed to get across how intelligent the character is.
Really? I liked English Larsa - hell, all of FFXII's English voicing was great, despite the compression giving them the underwater effect - but Japanese Larsa's not bad either. He comes across as quite sincere. I've gotten quite used to Japanese VA, so maybe that's it.

I played with the English dialog throughout, though, and it helps they hired theater actors to do the parts. Balthier is particularly boss.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
nelsonroyale said:
damn, they really need to fire the script writer.
I would not be surprised at all if Toriyama is as controlling when it comes to FFXIII-2's script as he was with the FFXIII script...

Tizoc said:
ATM the one thing that annoys me about the game is the QTEs...
They honestly look a little... ugly or sometimes a little jarring to me.

Seda said:
On that note, I just beat Valkyrie Profile 2 and he was absolutely great as Lezard. Totally different voice though so I didn't catch it right away.
I hope he'll at least laugh like this (caution: VP2 spoilers). (He probably won't.)

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Okay, I watched the Promise Trailer. I'm sure that all of Hope's lines sounded like it had the same VA in the Japanese trailer. I watch the US trailer and the first time he shows up as an adult, he sounds vastly different than when he pops up the next time. The last time he shows up in that trailer sounds like it was the original VA but the other time is so much deeper. Am I the only one who noticed this?

duckroll

Kyon said:
looking good so far. Btw anyone else think the graphics were downgraded?

Nope.

1BWXVl.jpg

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
kayos90 said:
Okay, I watched the Promise Trailer. I'm sure that all of Hope's lines sounded like it had the same VA in the Japanese trailer. I watch the US trailer and the first time he shows up as an adult, he sounds vastly different than when he pops up the next time. The last time he shows up in that trailer sounds like it was the original VA but the other time is so much deeper. Am I the only one who noticed this?
Nope. I'm guessing that the voice director told the VA to read the lines like that.

I had to chuckle at the "mature" voice because it sounded forced.

jiggle

kaias trying so hard to be sephiroth

the promise trailer makes it really obvious who noel's parents are
so he's tidus dressing up as yuna :lol

Tizoc

Dark Schala said:
They honestly look a little... ugly or sometimes a little jarring to me.
The veggie flan does Hokuto Hyakuretsu-ken, ain't nothing ugly about that. It's just that if I get a pre-emptive strike I'd like to get into the battle immediatly instead of mashing buttons.

FreeMufasa

Kyon said:
looking good so far. Btw anyone else think the graphics were downgraded?

Yes. Some areas look better but overall, it looks worse to me.

Which is cool seeing as we're getting a much bigger game this time.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Tizoc said:
The veggie flan does Hokuto Hyakuretsu-ken, ain't nothing ugly about that. It's just that if I get a pre-emptive strike I'd like to get into the battle immediatly instead of mashing buttons.
I meant the QTE prompts (buttons). ;)

Attacks are pretty and flashy otherwise.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Dark Schala said:
Nope. I'm guessing that the voice director told the VA to read the lines like that.

I had to chuckle at the "mature" voice because it sounded forced.

Hope's english VA was great in FFXIII...
here though, he seems not that good. I hope it's just an impression from the trailers and in the final one he'll deliver good lines like in the past (probably the best with Sazh).

rataven said:
Looks like Kaias will be this game's deliverer of terrible lines.

LOSE YOURSELF IN BATTLE.......AND REJOICE!! lol

:D

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Perfo said:
Hope's english VA was great in FFXIII...
here though, he seems not that good. I hope it's just an impression from the trailers and in the final one he'll deliver good lines like in the past (probably the best with Sazh).
I liked Hope's English VA from the start... because I liked him on Everybody Hates Chris. He did a really good job as Hope, imo.
Better than the JP voice actor at times.
Might just be the trailer/voice direction this time around.

faridmon

Cwarrior said:
I don't think a story has every put me off a game but this one has, well not the story but the character that are in this game.
Almost same, except that I am trying to ignore it alltogether. FF XIII is enjoyable when I just skip most of the cutscenes.

Elginer

Looks great, already have my copy pre-ordered. I hope they actually put a little more effort into the 360 version this time.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Speaking of 360, was it playable during TGS? Kinda wondering if it didn't suffer compression problems like FFXIII 360.

Elginer

ULTROS! said:
Speaking of 360, was it playable during TGS? Kinda wondering if it didn't suffer compression problems like FFXIII 360.

That's what I fear. I mean come on the new disk format has more space and stop fucking using Bink, it's shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom