• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII Versus outfit designer lists game as Final Fantasy XV (15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foffy

Banned
They can make this PS3/PS exclusive then FF XVI multiplat. FF XIV isn't on the 360 either...

XIV isn't on there because of Square having an issue with MS and online. I think it has to do with the fact Microsoft is no longer happy offering online play features outside of Gold.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
what part of Final Fantasy XIII adheres to any established philosophy about what it means to be a Final Fantasy game? its radically different than games before it.

I'm interested in hearing why you see it as radically different from the other games before it. At its core I would say it's the same. The cosmetics and the intricate details are different but at its core it's a turn-based job system battle game.

Having XIII in the title wouldn't make sense at this point so what else are they gonna call it if not XV? Just Versus or come up with a new name like they did for Agito? Easier to just go with XV. It would also help sales and something tells me this game has a lot of cash to recoup. People had their fill of spinoffs with the XIII sequels, just giving it a random subtitle wouldn't do it any favors.

not really, since jp games sell better on PS3 here. FFXIII sold about twice as many copies on the PS3 as the 360 in NA.

the numbers for XIII-2 were even more lopsided. I think i remember seeing 4-1 in favor of PS3.

combine that with sony outselling microsoft in EU, and the 360 being a non entity in japan, square could very easily be moneyhatted into making 15 exclusive. I doubt microsoft cares, FF has lost a LOT of cred since it's heyday, and jrpgs are quickly on their way to "niche genre."

They wouldn't need to be moneyhatted. KH 1.5 is exclusive because the Xbox audience just doesn't respond to JRPGs the way PS gamers do. And this was the gen MS actually tried to change that. With 720 they won't even bother.

When you're making a game there's a philosophy and design thought process that goes with it. When Versus was being created it was designed with the thought of being different from the mainline FF games. By changing Versus to XV it can mean many things and honestly it could be bad in a lot of ways. If they're changing Versus to XV then this means that the Versus game that they originally wanted to make is now adhering to the philosophy of mainline FF games. However it could also mean that the philosophy of mainline FF games have changed and Versus just happens to fit it so they changed the name. There are a lot of implications. You don't simply do a name change to a franchise/IP of something else without destroying some sort of design philosophy. It speaks ill.

They already said in the past that they wanted to revolutionize the series by going in different directions with the mainline entries, even if it meant to go full action RPG ditching the turn based combat.

EDIT:

http://kotaku.com/5859987/the-next-final-fantasy-might-not-be-the-same-old-rpg
http://www.edge-online.com/news/final-fantasy-xv-could-be-action-rpg/

This was when I first thought that Versus could have been moved to XV, it's about 10 months later than the 2011 trailer.

zeopower6

Having XIII in the title wouldn't make sense at this point so what else are they gonna call it if not XV? Just Versus or come up with a new name like they did for Agito? Easier to just go with XV. It would also help sales and something tells me this game has a lot of cash to recoup. People had their fill of spinoffs with the XIII sequels, just giving it a random subtitle wouldn't do it any favors.

I'm sure at this point, the XIII is going to be taken out. I don't think anyone doubts that. However, going from a XIII sub-game to a mainline numbered game seems like a bad idea. It would be like Agito becoming XIV.

kayos90

They already said in the past that they wanted to revolutionize the series by going in different directions with the mainline entries, even if it meant to go full action RPG ditching the turn based combat.

Ah. Alright. If this is the case then yes, this name change doesn't mean anything. lol.

xion4360

I'm interested in hearing why you see it as radically different from the other games before it. At its core I would say it's the same. The cosmetics and the intricate details are different but at its core it's a turn-based job system battle game.

it would be just as easy to call most jrpg a final fantasy game if thats what you are hanging on to..

I'm sure at this point, the XIII is going to be taken out. I don't think anyone doubts that. However, going from a XIII sub-game to a mainline numbered game seems like a bad idea. It would be like Agito becoming XIV.

any worse than having XI and XIV be online only MMO's? i can't see how.

and no, Agito was a handheld title made for the PSP- numbered games have always been "flagship" titles with high budgets. Versus XIII is a full fledged console title in all areas, as far as anyone has been able to tell.

kayos90

it would be just as easy to call most jrpg a final fantasy game if thats what you are hanging on to..

Why? Just because it's the same/similar at its core doesn't mean that it needs to be called Final Fantasy. I feel like now you're just not taking this discussion seriously.

EDIT: Also. Strawman.

I really don't see why. The game seems much more ambitious than XIII and worthy of being a mainline game. I don't see any reason not to do it. And please don't compare it to making a PSP game a mainline FF.

xion4360

Agito was made for PSP, Versus has always been a console game. Its really no less important. FFIX wasnt meant to be the next numbered title when it first started.

Why? Just because it's the same/similar at its core doesn't mean that it needs to be called Final Fantasy. I feel like now you're just not taking this discussion seriously.

EDIT: Also. Strawman.

I am taking it seriously. the fact is final fantasy evolves a lot. there is almost nothing they cant change so trying to define final fantasy is useless.

zeopower6

any worse than having XI and XIV be all out MMO's? i can't see how.

and no, Agito was a handheld title made for the PSP- numbered games have always been "flagship" titles with high budgets. Versus XIII is a full fledged console title in all areas, as far as anyone has been able to tell.

Hm... well, I don't know their reasoning for making XI/XIV as MMOs, but I'm sure they had their reasons at least for XI. FFXI proved to be pretty successful apparently iirc, being the most profitable FF ever though. Looking back though, XIV shouldn't have happened at all. It's been more trouble for them than it's worth.

For me personally, I don't really want Versus to become XV partly because it has that same vibe of getting, say, FFXIII-2 or Lighting Returns because we're revisiting something we've had around for years and not really getting something completely new (not an MMO) set in a brand new world with new characters.

ash_ag

If there is a core set of rules, then they must be pretty flexible for these two to qualify.

FFXIII easily qualifies. Exaggerated characters, fine-set world, define plot, drama. And of course all core mechanics the series is known for.

FFXI and FFXIV are only numbered because of marketing and have little to do with the other titles. They aren't bad games (XI is fantastic), but they should be called Final Fantasy Online and Final Fantasy Online II more properly.

FFXIII easily qualifies. Exaggerated characters, fine-set world, define plot, drama. And of course all core mechanics the series is known for.

FFXI and FFXIV are only numbered because of marketing and have little to do with the other titles.
They aren't bad games (XI is fantastic), but they should be called Final Fantasy Online and Final Fantasy Online II more properly.

So basically FF is whatever SE decides to slap the label on.

And what are these "core mechanics" the series is known for that FFXIII has? The only similarity is that you select commands and watch them executed. If that is the core of FF, then I guess basically every jrpg ever made is FF at heart.

No one else sees making XV an action RPG a potential slippery slope? I really do fear that if it happens we can kiss menu driven non-action mainline Final Fantasies goodbye forever (save for maybe MMOs if they're ever stupid enough to try it again), which is something I absolutely hope never happens.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Love the ignorance in thinking Type 0 isn't mainline when all FNC titles are considered as such.

A roman numeral does not represent you.

Can't really call it a spinoff either as it begs the question a spinoff of what? The FNC mythos? That only means all FNC titles are spinoffs of the FNC mythos which just makes it sound ridiculous.

I can see Versus as XV yet it only clarifies SE lied initially to it's PS3 userbase.

I think waiting until E3 will give clarification. Until then proper judgement cannot be given.

No one else sees making XV an action RPG a potential slippery slope? I really do fear that if it happens we can kiss menu driven non-action mainline Final Fantasies goodbye forever (save for maybe MMOs if they're ever stupid enough to try it again), which is something I absolutely hope never happens.

Bravely Default.

StuBurns

Banned
Makes sense, has made sense for a long time, I've been expecting it for years at this point, but still, who knows. Above anything though, right now I just want to know which platform/s it'll be available for.

xion4360

For me personally, I don't really want Versus to become XV partly because it has that same vibe of getting, say, FFXIII-2 or Lighting Returns because we're revisiting something we've had around for years and not really getting something completely new (not an MMO) set in a brand new world with new characters.

XIII-2 and LRXIII are sequels to XIII. Versus is an entirely different game.

No one says they can never go back to doing something the way they did it previously. Didnt they introduce ATB in one game and then go back to strictly turn based the next? or like in FF10 where it is strictly turn based despite ATB being more common now.

Bravely Default.

Non-sequitor?

How is Bravely Default, a game that doesn't even contain the words "Final" or "Fantasy" in the title a mainline Final Fantasy?

No one says they can never go back to doing something the way they did it previously. Didnt they introduce ATB in one game and then go back to strictly turn based the next? or like in FF10 where it is strictly turn based despite ATB being more common now.
ATB was the battle system from IV-IX, no break in between. X was when they started really changing things up with every installment, but these changes weren't in large part based on the direction of the video game markets at large. The market of RPGs is increasingly turning toward ARPG, just like SE said. If they are bending themselves to cater to this audience like they said they were thinking, I have absolutely no faith in SE that they would ever reverse this trend, at least, not in the near future.

Rpgmonkey

Depends on if they were to use KH-style Action RPG gameplay as the core going forward. That would be absolutely terrible.

If they mixed it up and went a good distance away from KH combat, then maybe. I like command/time-based battle systems though.

Soriku

Non-sequitor?

How is Bravely Default, a game that doesn't even contain the words "Final" or "Fantasy" in the title a mainline Final Fantasy?

The game is basically an old-school FF (with new-school design decisions). Even if it doesn't have FF in the title that doesn't matter.

xion4360

I'm aware of that. But we've had Noctis and those videos around for ages. My point is that it's not 'new'.

Its new as long as it has yet to be released. There will be a Final Fantasy 16 anyway, so you can get that fresh vibe then.

I'm curious, but was that Gamefaqs rumor about Versus ever debunked? I believe that's where the rumor about Versus being turned into a turn based game originated. If it's 15 now then that could lend some credibility to it. I don't think that Square is ready to take FF off of that classic style at this point.

what classic style? FFXIII does not adhere to any "Classic Style" ... you choose commands yes, but thats what you do even in an action RPG. If you could control your characters movements in XIII it would essentially be an action RPG. The distinction isnt all that great, its a very vague line to say that it must adhere to command style over action to be considered the main series. In dissidia 012 you could choose to play it either way but it didnt change the game. You could view XIII that same way.

jiggle

not really
the battle system is so ever changing
i'm surprised it didn't happen long ago already

So I'll need to wait for FFXVI for a new Hiroyuki Ito-designed FF?

what if he took over this game and nomura moved to KHIII?

I'm curious, but was that Gamefaqs rumor about Versus ever debunked? I believe that's where the rumor about Versus being turned into a turn based game originated. If it's 15 now then that could lend some credibility to it. I don't think that Square is ready to take FF off of that classic style at this point.

The game is basically an old-school FF (with new-school design decisions). Even if it doesn't have FF in the title that doesn't matter.

Much like Dragon Quest is more or less similar in most ways to the NES era Final Fantasies? This is nonsense. A mainline Final Fantasy doesn't have to have the words "Final Fantasy" in its title? Is that what I'm reading?

Never mind the budget discrepancies involved here and the fact that Bravely Default has no western release date (which would never happen to a mainline Final Fantasy nowadays).

MrDenny

Hope they don't change the logo, but they probably will.
Didn't hashimoto mention the agni demo was the target they were aiming for the next ff in terms of graphics?
Since versus is based somewhat on reality, I guess it's for the better it moved to the ps4.

Soriku

Much like Dragon Quest is more or less similar in most ways to the NES era Final Fantasies? This is nonsense. A mainline Final Fantasy doesn't have to have the words "Final Fantasy" in its title? Is that what I'm reading?

Never mind the budget discrepancies involved here and the fact that Bravely Default has no western release date (which would never happen to a mainline Final Fantasy nowadays).

BD is closer to the old mainline FFs, ie. pre-FF7 than DQ.

Mainline FF is starting to move away from traditional menu systems in general. Even if it's not technically a "FF" title, I don't doubt that what you're looking for is in BD.

BD's Western release has already been hinted by the game's Twitter btw.

I'm aware of that. But we've had Noctis and those videos around for ages. My point is that it's not 'new'.

Exactly. If they re-reveal it as FF15, it'll be a huge disappointment. Versus is known at this point for this lame J-rock characters and teleporting swords and shit. We have character art, names, settings etc. We even have gameplay footage. To suddenly say "Hey, this is now 15 btw. We know we announced it shortly after 12, but please don't be disappointed!"

For FF15, I want all the hype and craziness that led up to other FFs, not for it to be a desperate attempt at salvaging a disaster of a game.

Honestly? Do it.

Associating yourself with Final Fantasy XIII in any way is like saying "Hey, I love to eat shit!"

It's been in development so long it may as well start with a clean IP slate.

StuBurns

Banned
The idea that Versus is well known so they can't change it's name is, and has always been fundamentally flawed. The amount of people who know what Versus is, against the amount of people a FFXV will be marketed to is insanely huge. And even those people who do, aren't all going to be disappointed by the change, especially if it comes with a generation bump.

xion4360

Exactly. If they re-reveal it as FF15, it'll be a huge disappointment. Versus is known at this point for this lame J-rock characters and teleporting swords and shit. We have character art, names, settings etc. We even have gameplay footage. To suddenly say "Hey, this is now 15 btw. We know we announced it shortly after 12, but please don't be disappointed!"

For FF15, I want all the hype and craziness that led up to other FFs, not for it to be a desperate attempt at salvaging a disaster of a game.

But would it stop you from buying it because they re-named it? probably not. Would it deter you from buying it if it was not called 15? probably not. so Square as a company doesnt lose anything there.

Now if you were someone who didnt really know about Versus prior, but perhaps heard that XIII sucked. then releasing a game called XV and not whatever XIII would be a benefit and not a hindrance. so square wins in that regard as well.

In fact re-naming the title is probably the best way to re-ignite hype for the game alongside a re-reveal. a lot of re's because its been vaporware for so long,

I'm excited. Sucks that this will be PS4 only; all those people with PS3's will have to buy another system just to play as Noctis.

BD is closer to the old mainline FFs, ie. pre-FF7 than DQ.

Mainline FF is starting to move away from traditional menu systems in general. Even if it's not technically a "FF" title, I don't doubt that what you're looking for is in BD.

BD's Western release has already been hinted by the game's Twitter btw.

I wasn't aware that BD was a big budget console game. I should check it out then!

I'm mostly just bothered by the fact that I was talking specifically about mainline FF and then people start saying, "Well, it's changing to something you don't like, so start playing something else."

I reject the homogenization of games in general, and one of the few remaining big budget console menu based RPGs going complete ARPG would be just unfortunate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom