• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - Beta Phase 3 Impression: Phase 4 August

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, color me surprised, I never thought of doing that (sleep and run), I slept one and killed the other one while tossing more sleeps and cures in-between, took me ages to complete, but killed all the enemies lol

You're a better mage than I am then.
Anyone who's played with me this beta knows I'm a terrible mage player.
I was never able to kill one archer before the other started completely resisting Sleep. Both of them together could easily burn my HP down faster than I could heal through it, much less also DPS one at the same time.

Khrno

You're a better mage than I am then.
Anyone who's played with me this beta knows I'm a terrible mage player.
I was never able to kill one archer before the other started completely resisting Sleep. Both of them together could easily burn my HP down faster than I could heal through it, much less also DPS one at the same time.

I do have a lv50 BLM, but I can't say I'm any good at any of the classes in ARR, I still have things to learn yet. I just had the experience from the MRD quest and the masked man fight, so I knew I had to be careful and and use whatever I had available (cross-class skills, food, ethers, potions) and it took me about 3 tries before beating it while killing everything (for the exp lol).

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Not really, the GAF Sargatanas guild will accept any kind of player.

Is ultimetly a choice of preference more than anything.

My archer's on there now, but I'm gonna reroll glad. I just want to go to whichever is actually runnin dungeons and shit in the beta.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
The current beta phase is going to be wiped anyways. You can play a character on both and decide before the next phase.

Don't care about any of that, just want the one with the most active people for early level dungeons/grouping. Other than the first few levels I don't want to solo anything or my brain will explode from boredom.

Don't care about any of that, just want the one with the most active people for early level dungeons/grouping. Other than the first few levels I don't want to solo anything or my brain will explode from boredom.

Well you're not likely to find a lot of active players for low level dungeons and grouping on Legacy servers where most people will be starting already level capped and only do low level dungeons once for mandatory story progression and then never again.

I'm an expert

Well you're not likely to find a lot of active players for low level dungeons and grouping on Legacy servers where most people will be starting already level capped and only do low level dungeons once for mandatory story progression and then never again.

So Ultros is for nubs! (and I'm talking about the gaf groups, not randoms)

There will be most "new" people on Ultros, but a good chink of Legacy players are starting on new classes they don't have leveled. I guess that's how most people will experience the new low level content.

Also dungeons seems the bets way to keep leveling classes so it should be fine at least the first few months. Of course we don't know how many new people will land on legacy servers, 4 phase should be a good indication, hopefully we get lots of new blood.

Not every player has all classes capped :(

Khrno

Just get on any server, and use the Duty Finder, that's what it is there for.

I'm an expert

And is that actually any different...?

Lol, all I did was ask (on the previous page too) where the best place was to go for low level gafers grouping together. I wouldn't be posting to ask what the best server was if I wanted to run pugs..I think I know how to do that.

Khrno

Lol, all I did was ask (on the previous page too) where the best place was to go for low level gafers grouping together. I wouldn't be posting to ask what the best server was if I wanted to run pugs..I think I know how to do that.

To be honest I'd suggest the legacy GAF server, whatever that is. The people there are v1.0 veterans and are probably interested on re-learning everything about the game to be ready for phase 4. Meanwhile in the new server, most people are just first time players, trying to figure out how to target party members and how o reach another city when they are lv6.

I'm on neither of those servers, but it's just my opinion as a legacy player, taking into account your point of view.

From the Community Thread OP:

LINKSHELLS and FREE COMPANIES
At official launch the majority of GAF members will be branching off to three different servers, they are listed above but again; Sargatanas (LEGACY North America), Ultros (NEW North America) and Durandal (LEGACY Japan)
Legacy servers are those in which are populated by players whose characters have been transferred from FFXIV 1.0 to the new client. You can make new characters on these servers however legacy characters cannot move to new servers.

The new servers are as it sounds, completely new. There is no existing wealth or population and it will be filled with new players only, so everyone is starting at the same level.

The three leaders of the Linkshells and Free Companies that will be spread over three servers/regions have decided in order to keep recruitment drives out of our conversations in the threads we will place our recruitment information here, in this thread and in the new thread for A Realm Reborn when it launches.

Gathered Against Fate
Sargatanas Server, LEGACY, North America

We are a casual LS made up of many members from beta 1.x until the end. Members are established in the game already and can provide quick help with crafting, questing, or anything else you may need. The LS in itself is more casual-oriented and members are free to do what they want without obligations, but we also have members that like to play a bit more hardcore, and that is welcomed as well. Many members may have maxed classes but that's not true of everyone, so there are plenty of members to enjoy the new content with.

Gathered Against Fate
Ultros Server, NEW, North America

Gathered Against Fate will be the official presence for the NeoGAF community on Ultros. We will participate in all functions of the game and will be open to everyone here. Casual and hardcore players alike! Friends and family are always welcome but must be vouched for by a member. In addition, we will be recruiting members outside of GAF as we progress through the game to ensure that our Free Company thrives. Ultros is for players that like starting an MMO from launch with everyone on equal footing. It is a completely clean slate where we can all learn, grow, and experience the world of Eorzea together. We want to promote a fun and friendly community with a priority on helping each other when in need and playing together as much as possible.

Community information such as website, roster, Mumble server, etc. will be updated at launch.

Nocturne
Durandal Server, LEGACY, Japan

Nocturne is the rebirth of the FFXI and FFXIV 1.0 shell Requiem, which was the hub for FFXI importers on Ragnarok server from 2002. Most of our members live in Japan or Oceania/South East Asia and can communicate in both Japanese and English. Japanese knowledge is not required but is highly recommended if you wish to communicate better with other members. Events and scheduling are yet to be announced but will most likely fall in Japanese standard prime time (18:00 JST onwards).

Temporary forum is here. Will be updated when Lodestone 2.0 launches.

I'm an expert

To be honest I'd suggest the legacy GAF server, whatever that is. The people there are v1.0 veterans and are probably interested on re-learning everything about the game to be ready for phase 4. Meanwhile in the new server, most people are just first time players, trying to figure out how to target party members and how o reach another city when they are lv6.

I'm on neither of those servers, but it's just my opinion as a legacy player, taking into account your point of view.

I guess I'm making the assumption that most of gaf is playing together during the beta, but that might not be true.

edit: the above info is about release, I'm just talking these beta weekends, like tomorrow, east coast, 6 am, where i gotz to go to get mah gaf on

Teknoman

There is a third category though. Those that have played and are starting off fresh on a new server too.

Honestly though, the best way to choose is to just make a character on both, and party up. Stick with the server you have the most fun with.

I guess I'm making the assumption that most of gaf is playing together during the beta, but that might not be true.

We are, we are. Just among others as well.

We are. There are over 200 of us on Ultros. The rest are on Sargatanas and other servers. Some people that didn't know about the GAF servers rolled on different ones but will picking one of the GAF servers for launch.

tenchir

There really isn't any reason for legacy players to just stay on Sargatanas. They can just go back and forth between their old characters on Sargatanas and new characters on Ultros. Once transfer is available between legacy server and new server, why don't we make a mass transfer so everyone is on the same server?

Riposte

I spend enough of my free time on FFXIV as it is lol...

I don't think transfers are in order until one of the LSes/FCs die out.

Khrno

Read the post above yours.

The reason why this happens is because all the characters from v1.0 are carried over and hey are kept on the same worlds there was for v1.0, these old characters won't be able to move to new worlds (made specifically for ARR), so they will stay in their legacy server (or move to the Japanese server as specified in the post above).

Many new players don't want to join a server where most of the population already have lv 50 jobs, they want to start from 0 with everyone else to live through the chaos of an starting economy, and that's why they will gather on one of the new servers.

Gritesh

I wasn't paying with anyone but is this next phase the phase that will carry over to launch? I made a GLA but I think I want to play something different now

what kind of member limits are there on Free Companies? are we going to be able to roll multiple races and have them all accepted in the FC?

I'm an expert

We are. There are over 200 of us on Ultros. The rest are on Sargatanas and other servers. Some people that didn't know about the GAF servers rolled on different ones but will picking one of the GAF servers for launch.

200? That's what I'm talkin about. So I'll roll my glad on there and pm someone for an invite. I'll pretty much be on from 2am.

Read the post above yours.

The reason why this happens is because all the characters from v1.0 are carried over and hey are kept on the same worlds there was for v1.0, these old characters won't be able to move to new worlds (made specifically for ARR), so they will stay in their legacy server (or move to the Japanese server as specified in the post above).

Many new players don't want to join a server where most of the population already have lv 50 jobs, they want to start from 0 with everyone else to live through the chaos of an starting economy, and that's why they will gather on one of the new servers.

Really the whole Legacy thing has been an amazing clusterfuck for players. There has to be a better way to manage the transition than what Squenix is doing. Of course this is the same Squenix that once had it set up where you couldn't even pick which server you landed on in FFXI back in the day, so it was IMPOSSIBLE to play with any of your friends. Why does Squenix hate friendship?

Noaloha

As an EU player, I'm really torn on this one. This MMO will be an addictive one I'm sure; I'm wary of roosting down into a server/community which hits its stride at my midnight.. :p

EDIT:
what kind of member limits are there on Free Companies? are we going to be able to roll multiple races and have them all accepted in the FC?
It's something like 120-ish for linkshells (chat channels, can have up to eight) and 500-ish for FCs (guilds, only one per character).

EDIT2: Ohhh, member limits? That's a different thing huh, haha.

Khrno

Really the whole Legacy thing has been an amazing clusterfuck for players. There has to be a better way to manage the transition than what Squenix is doing. Of course this is the same Squenix that once had it set up where you couldn't even pick which server you landed on in FFXI back in the day, so it was IMPOSSIBLE to play with any of your friends.

I do understand why they won't allow legacy players to move to new worlds, that would actually screw up the economy on the new worlds. but besides that, I don't see any problems at all with how the legacy players are being handled. I'm very happy with what I'm getting.

Really the whole Legacy thing has been an amazing clusterfuck for players. There has to be a better way to manage the transition than what Squenix is doing. Of course this is the same Squenix that once had it set up where you couldn't even pick which server you landed on in FFXI back in the day, so it was IMPOSSIBLE to play with any of your friends. Why does Squenix hate friendship?

I think the way around that was to keep rolling the dice on servers. sooner or later your server would come up. many things about that game were odd.

EDIT:
It's something like 120-ish for linkshells (chat channels, can have up to eight) and 500-ish for FCs (guilds, only one per character).

EDIT2: Ohhh, member limits? That's a different thing huh, haha.

yup, that's what i was asking about, the max member count. too bad they didn't have a system like GuildWars2.

Khrno

As an EU player, I'm really torn on this one. This MMO will be an addictive one I'm sure; I'm wary of roosting down into a server/community which hits its stride at my midnight.. :p

That's why last year I moved to Ragnarok, a server where prime time is 8pm GMT. It must have the largest European community of all the servers. Going for a new "EU recommended server" might be something a little bit more risky, since I believe they are recommending 4 new worlds for EU players, so one or some of them might actually not have enough EU players compared to the other ones.

The whole Legacy servers is a very stupid idea. I don't know why SE feels they need to seggregate the Legacy players in their own ghetto servers, when if would make way more sense let them spread over 20 different servers making a very small impact on every server community.

Dosn't help that new players treat Legacy players as some kind of disease.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Got a Beta code today (though it said "reminder" maybe I overlooked it before). I have never played an MMO before, so I'm not really sure how this'll work out.

Khrno

The whole Legacy servers is a very stupid idea. I don't know why SE feels they need to seggregate the Legacy players in their own ghetto servers, when if would make way more sense let them spread over 20 different servers making a very small impact on every server community.

I don't think a small group of players with all crafts and classes at 50, with hundred of millions of gil, would cause just a "small" impact on a fresh server.

Riposte

How FFXI handled servers originally was so odd that it was endearing to me. You had to have someone on the server invite you. So weird, I love it. I forget what it was called though. Friend Pass?

Small? lol

I think it was a great idea, it's not like SE is stopping us legacy players from inviting our friends to play with us. So what's the difference? And what makes the legacy servers ghetto?

How FFXI handled servers originally was so odd that it was endearing to me. You had to have someone on the server invite you. So weird, I love it. I forget what it was called though. Friend Pass?

I think World pass.

Oh shit, I forgot about that! lol

My friend bought the game like a few hours before I did, so when I finally picked up my copy (back in like 2002), I went over to his house to play on my laptop with him. He didn't have enough gil to get a friend pass, so I sat there... for like an hour re-recreating my character over and over until I got on the same server he was on. It was the stupidest thing ever. Looking back now, though... it's amusing and so fitting for that game.

Alexanderon

Neo Member

I'm sorry but it does matter.

I remember back when FFXI launched in North America. Japanese players who had been playing the game for close to a year already had total control of the market.

Restricting legacy characters by server is a temporary measure, anyway.

Noaloha

That's why last year I moved to Ragnarok, a server where prime time is 8pm GMT. It must have the largest European community of all the servers. Going for a new "EU recommended server" might be something a little bit more risky, since I believe they are recommending 4 new worlds for EU players, so one or some of them might actually not have enough EU players compared to the other ones.

For Phase 3 I rolled on Moogle (EU). I'm not ashamed to admit that I chose that server purely because of its name.

Best server name!

I'm an expert

I remember back when FFXI launched in North America. Japanese players who had been playing the game for close to a year already had total control of the market.

Meh, when you really think about it, the market on release was perfectly fine. 300k for an Emp Pin? Sure! The inflation that came years later was insane..

Khrno

For Phase 3 I rolled on Moogle (EU). I'm not ashamed to admit that I chose that server purely because of its name.

Best server name!

I created a new char for p3 on Cerberus (EU), because that was the name of the server I was on FFXI.

I don't think a small group of players with all crafts and classes at 50, with hundred of millions of gil, would cause just a "small" impact on a fresh server.

Legacy dosn't mean all those has millions of gils and all crafting at 50. And demand will regulate prices by itself, if 95% of your potential buyers are new players you won't be able to overprice your crafted items...

Also lot's of low level gear is got on quests and dungeons. People are just making assumptions that a few rich players will destroy servers, because it didnt even happen on 1.0 already.

FFXI is a very different case were gilsellers were rampant and your performance relied highly in the gear you had, now with gear drops on dungeons and in quests is not the same.

You didn't even need japan/US players to fuck things, it was a matter of time eitherway.

Egnirys

I hated how in FFXI I had to recreate my character over and over to get on the server where all my friends were playing. We all just started and were too cheap to buy a World Pass.

So far I've been playing as a CNJ and the controls for PS3 feels weird to me when I'm healing others. I feel like it takes me too much time to select people and heal. Even using the party member controls and then cure. Maybe I'll get quicker the more I get use to it? My current computer cannot run FF14 and I don't have the money to build a PC to play. This weekend I think I'll try Archer and see if I can open up Bard. I was a RDM in FFXI and keeping up buffs and debuffs while tossing out a few heals is where I have fun.

I'm an expert

I hated how in FFXI I had to recreate my character over and over to get on the server where all my friends were playing. We all just started and were too cheap to buy a World Pass.

So far I've been playing as a CNJ and the controls for PS3 feels weird to me when I'm healing others. I feel like it takes me too much time to select people and heal. Even using the party member controls and then cure. Maybe I'll get quicker the more I get use to it? My current computer cannot run FF14 and I don't have the money to build a PC to play. This weekend I think I'll try Archer and see if I can open up Bard. I was a RDM in FFXI and keeping up buffs and debuffs while tossing out a few heals is where I have fun.

Archer in this game is probably the most boring class I've ever leveled in an mmo lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom