• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squishy3

"Battle system changes will be that we're changing the battle system." ;_;

Think of the troll power!

I think it's not as big of an issue as is being made out of since people will be leveling mains first and then going back. First-timer priority and LLDR helps cover a lot of gaps and in every MMO ever, numbers always trend to reflect new additions of classes never really changes the spread of tanks-healers-DPS(-supports) in the longterm; you see bumps and small trends but generally speaking people stick to roles more than what anecdotal evidence would indicate in this thread.

The worst period will probably be initial launch for auto-RDM/SAM mains and the period after everyone finishes their first 70. And a lot of it simply goes away if LLDR is adjusted to being slightly more valuable beyond one time per day.
And even then you'll just be able to POTD Sam and RDM (plus do HW beast tribe dailies) and avoid the bad DPS queues. The people like us who are hardcore won't be adversely affected by doing that, since we'll just mess around with the abilities outside of POTD anyway.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
They're probably going to bank on a lot of new subs/returning players and what you precisely want to avoid in these cases is making leveling a chore.

I don't think new players are going to be excited about playing POTD for 60 levels.

Squishy3

They're probably going to bank on a lot of new subs/returning players and what you precisely want to avoid in these cases is making leveling a chore.

I don't think new players are going to be excited about playing POTD for 60 levels.
I mean, they'll do to Heavensward what they did to ARR as well: Increase exp gain, dole out the armor necessary to progress through the story in the 3.x series.

And yeah, RDM and Samurai are starting at 50. (tentative) You only need to gain 10 levels to be current.

Lanrutcon

So...Samurai and RM start at level 1?

iammeiam

Brand new players are going to have to rely on the same thing they relied on in HW for pre-30 content: people during roulettes and other newbies. The only time the game really forces you to grind are a couple of gaps in MSQ, which they can combination smooth over with EXP buffs to quests and for dungeon clears.

As long as the algorithm matching people up in DF can properly prioritize people doing MSQ stuff, their mandatory queues should be okay, and the community at large has been encouraging new players to hit PotD for awkward leveling spots for a while.

The new DPS jobs are going to make 50-60 on alt jobs an absolute shitshow, so it's probably smart to make sure you have all the DPS jobs you think you might want to level at 60 pre-HW, but outside of that 10 level band they should be more or less absorbed into the giant leveling wave of DPS queues suck anyway.

Kenai

Well shit. That's impressively accommodating of them.

Take a day or two, POTD em to 60, launch into the new content. I shall be the reddest red mage of all!*

*depending on their job mechanics

It looked like they will be unlocked in Eorzea proper too, so no need to go to the new area.

Not sure if anything else will need to be done besides hitting 50 though.

Brand new players are going to have to rely on the same thing they relied on in HW for pre-30 content: people during roulettes and other newbies. The only time the game really forces you to grind are a couple of gaps in MSQ, which they can combination smooth over with EXP buffs to quests and for dungeon clears.

As long as the algorithm matching people up in DF can properly prioritize people doing MSQ stuff, their mandatory queues should be okay, and the community at large has been encouraging new players to hit PotD for awkward leveling spots for a while.

The new DPS jobs are going to make 50-60 on alt jobs an absolute shitshow, so it's probably smart to make sure you have all the DPS jobs you think you might want to level at 60 pre-HW, but outside of that 10 level band they should be more or less absorbed into the giant leveling wave of DPS queues suck anyway.

Throw the Jump poition in there too since I'm pretty sure a new player will be able to Jump Potion > RDM or SAM

Sylas

Queue times.

This is why I'm manhandling one of my friends into leveling a tank first. I'm a bad friend. I think people are vastly overestimating the number of people that'll stick with a job they don't like/find confusing. DRK was over-played as hell from 30-50 (to the point where DPS got the roulette bonus) and then around level 50 they dropped off because people remembered they hated tanking. Same thing with AST/MCH when they figured out it was too complicated.

I'm expecting 50-60 to blow though. Possibly even 50-65 for a little while.

This gets a little weird since IIRC the plan was for the Stormblood level jump pot to move you to 60; a lot depends on if they ultimately bundle the level and story skips together but If you level skip to 60 and then double back to start at 50 RDM, you still have to do your story progression from scratch and will still get the HW MSQ experience, queue priority, yada

The worst case scenario is I guess if you level skip to 60 and jump pot to the end of the HW story and then loop back to go RDM/SAM as your very first leveling experience, it's going to kind of suck, but that route shouldn't be something that trips up the general FF fanbase or your average new player I don't think.

Wasn't the idea that jump potions only bring you up to the prior expac's beginning? I could've sworn they said that people would have to do the HW storyline stuff if they nabbed a jump potion.

iammeiam

Throw the Jump poition in there too since I'm pretty sure a new player will be able to Jump Potion > RDM or SAM

This gets a little weird since IIRC the plan was for the Stormblood level jump pot to move you to 60; a lot depends on if they ultimately bundle the level and story skips together but If you level skip to 60 and then double back to start at 50 RDM, you still have to do your story progression from scratch and will still get the HW MSQ experience, queue priority, yada

The worst case scenario is I guess if you level skip to 60 and jump pot to the end of the HW story and then loop back to go RDM/SAM as your very first leveling experience, it's going to kind of suck, but that route shouldn't be something that trips up the general FF fanbase or your average new player I don't think.

Wasn't the idea that jump potions only bring you up to the prior expac's beginning? I could've sworn they said that people would have to do the HW storyline stuff if they nabbed a jump potion.

That's what the ones currently available in Korea and China already do, and they'll get new versions to jump further come SB; the general idea of the jumping potions is basically "skip to the not dead content":

. Story Skip Potion
This is a potion that will allow you to complete the progress of the main story, and it's a shortcut through the main scenario.

This is currently on sale for the Chinese and Korean versions of the game under the name of "Adventuring Records of A Realm Reborn." By purchasing this item and using it, it allows you to automatically clear through the final main scenario quest of Patch 2.55, "Before the Dawn." I'll speak more on the specifics of how it works below.

Furthermore, we're in the midst of developing the "Adventuring Records of Heavensward" item for the Chinese and Korean versions. This is also a potion that will allow you to clear the main scenario quests through the end of Patch 3.5 Part 2.

To compare this to a television series, season one is A Realm Reborn, season two is Heavensward, and the newest expansion Stormblood will be season 3. With this potion, you'll be watching the memoirs of season 1 and 2 from an inn, and then actually watching season 3. Naturally you will have to actually watch the latest season, so the short cut will only allow you to skip through to the end of the previous season.

2. Job Jump Potion
This is a job leveling potion that can be applied towards a single job. We've prepared the potions on a job to job basis such as ”Adventuring Records of the Paladin" and ”Adventuring Records of the Warrior," so it's not the case that you will be able to use a single potion and instantly max out all of the jobs.

By purchasing and using this potion, the respective job will jump to level 50. (When Stormblood goes on sale, this will be upgraded to a potion that will jump the job up to level 60, and we plan to eliminate the current level 50 potion.) Furthermore, at the moment we also distribute weapons at a certain item level to go along with this, as well as multiple silver chocobo feathers, which can be exchanged for item level 130 equipment of your choosing. This will equip that job with the minimum equipment needed.

With this potion, the player will have to experience the main scenario for themselves, so the main usage would be for those people who want to increase their level to the previous level cap and/or level up additional jobs a bit more efficiently.

There are no potions for machinist, dark knight, and astrologian since these require the expansion, and we're still discussing whether we will add them with the release of Stormblood. We've already decided that we will not be including potions for the new jobs that are going to be implemented with Stormblood. (This is based on the core principle that we want players to level the new jobs themselves.)

Sylas

That's what the ones currently available in Korea and China already do, and they'll get new versions to jump further come SB; the general idea of the jumping potions is basically "skip to the not dead content":

Ahh, gotcha. Do we know how much the jump potions cost in China and Korea? Interested to compare it to a name change since I was planning on leveling an alt between now and SB, but if the price isn't too different I'm not gonna deal with leveling him.

Edzi

So I have a kind of dumb question. I'm looking into how to get back into the game, and it seems like I have to upgrade my account to a standard account, since all I've ever done is play the free trial a year ago. It's asking me for some basic information, like my full name etc... and says that once it's entered, it can't be changed. I have a weird thing where I only go by my middle name, so I tend to enter that as my first name whenever possible, but I don't really know what SE is going to be using this for and don't want to risk any confusion in the future should they require my info. I've heard MMO companies can be rather strict about having this stuff match your legal documents in case you ever lose access to your account or something, so I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and enter my full legal first name as opposed to my preferred middle name.
And yeah, I know I'm overthinking this lol.

Haly

I'd go with full legal. I'm paranoid about this kind of stuff too but honestly it's not worth the hassle. It's worse than remembering multiple passwords.

So I have a kind of dumb question. I'm looking into how to get back into the game, and it seems like I have to upgrade my account to a standard account, since all I've ever done is play the free trial a year ago. It's asking me for some basic information, like my full name etc... and says that once it's entered, it can't be changed. I have a weird thing where I only go by my middle name, so I tend to enter that as my first name whenever possible, but I don't really know what SE is going to be using this for and don't want to risk any confusion in the future should they require my info. I've heard MMO companies can be rather strict about having this stuff match your legal documents in case you ever lose access to your account or something, so I'm wondering if I should just go ahead and enter my full legal first name as opposed to my preferred middle name.
And yeah, I know I'm overthinking this lol.

Use your REAL name incase you ever need to send in ID or anything for some reason to avoid losing your account. I've had friends not use their real names with WOW and Blizzard wouldn't give them their accounts back so I wouldn't risk it here either.

Edzi

I'd go with full legal. I'm paranoid about this kind of stuff too but honestly it's not worth the hassle. It's worse than remembering multiple passwords.

Yeah, that's probably the safest bet.

Use your REAL name incase you ever need to send in ID or anything for some reason to avoid losing your account. I've had friends not use their real names with WOW and Blizzard wouldn't give them their accounts back so I wouldn't risk it here either.

The thing is, my middle name is still technically my real name, just not my real first name lol. But yeah, I think it's better to be safe than sorry in this case, to avoid any potential problems in the future.

Thanks for the responses.

rubius01

Ok. Tin-foil hat, chicken little time: I wonder if they "shortened" the game by adding Othard to Stormblood? Like we spent base-game and an expansion pack and a half in Eoreza and a half expansion pack in Othard? Where Othard is physically the size of Eoreza.? I wonder if 5.X is going to be the end of FFXIV?

Ok. Tin-foil hat, chicken little time: I wonder if they "shortened" the game by adding Othard to Stormblood? Like we spent base-game and an expansion pack and a half in Eoreza and a half expansion pack in Othard? Where Othard is physically the size of Eoreza.? I wonder if 5.X is going to be the end of FFXIV?
I doubt we're getting all of Othard and there's still Ilsabard

Sylas

I don't think they have plans of ending FFXIV anytime soon. There's Ilsabard, Meracydia, the area to the west of Vylbrand. Hell, there's a lot that we've not even begun to see. There's a lot of viable content in the world still.

LowParry

http://gamerescape.com/2017/02/18/frankfurt-fanfest-press-conference/

"We’ve tested the VR, but you need 60 FPS if not more to avoid motion sickness. If you wanted to create something that really took advantage of that, you would need content made especially for VR but if you do that you limit it to only those few with VR so we want to spend the time making content for everyone. We have had some ideas talking to the media about a special room like Miqo’te Paradise where you pay $50 and go in and have some fun with Miqo’te. We’ve brought this up with the designers on our team… so far no one has raised their hand saying they want to make it yet."

Who do I need to write to make this happen? :D

Haly

"We’ve tested the VR, but you need 60 FPS if not more to avoid motion sickness. If you wanted to create something that really took advantage of that, you would need content made especially for VR but if you do that you limit it to only those few with VR so we want to spend the time making content for everyone. We have had some ideas talking to the media about a special room like Miqo’te Paradise where you pay $50 and go in and have some fun with Miqo’te. We’ve brought this up with the designers on our team… so far no one has raised their hand saying they want to make it yet."

kreygasm-57b6710c8db6e.png

I strongly doubt Square is crazy enough to cut down XIV while it's still a consistent money maker for them.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Ala Mhigo was, let's be reasonable, a pretty gaseous sell on its own.
What would the final boss of that even be, Rhalgr? zzzzzz

Far Eastern motives would hit much better with the game's audience.

Guess Who

Banned

"have" some "fun" with "miqo'te"

don't be fooled, gentlemen. those are hyur in fursuits.

wamberz1

If they do end up going with rhalgr I wonder what he's going to look like. Old dude with a staff would probably be a biiit too similar to ramuh.

SkyOdin

Ala Mhigo was, let's be reasonable, a pretty gaseous sell on its own.
What would the final boss of that even be, Rhalgr? zzzzzz

Far Eastern motives would hit much better with the game's audience.
Well, they could have made a full set of FFXIV versions of the FF VII Weapons like they did with Ultima Weapon. Nero tol Scaeva has to have been up to something this whole time.

The liberation of Ala Mhigo is still likely going to be the final battle of this expansion regardless. This is still the Ala Mhigo expansion, just some other places are getting in on the revolt too. Either way, the final boss is going to be either a new super weapon cooked up by the Garleans, or that thing from the latest patch.
My best guess is that its going to turn into Anima, primal of suffering. Rhalgr is unlikely, I think.

ebil

If they do end up going with rhalgr I wonder what he's going to look like. Old dude with a staff would probably be a biiit too similar to ramuh.
Well, according to the Lore book,
they may look similar for a reason.

I don't think it's going to be Rhalgr though.

I've only used controller, I didn't know this was an option!?

Yep, apparently one of a few PS4 games where this works plug-and-play. My Pro is sadly more powerful than my PC, so I'm interested. Doubly so if they follow up with a Pro patch.

I just need to look at what's the best option for wireless keyboard and mouse. Maybe even a lap pillow or something for them to rest on.

Yep, apparently one of a few PS4 games where this works plug-and-play. My Pro is sadly more powerful than my PC, so I'm interested. Doubly so if they follow up with a Pro patch.

I just need to look at what's the best option for wireless keyboard and mouse. Maybe even a lap pillow or something for them to rest on.

There's also the boost mode that's in beta right now.

Some vids showed that it ran smoother than normal mode.

xxczx

Come home from work to cleeng not working and not being able to watch the VODs from Fanfest :)))) Lovely pay wall

http://store.steampowered.com/app/469990/

You're welcome

Kronotech

Guys, looking for a new job to complement my MNK. Is AST pretty easily playable with controller? I heard SCH is pretty advanced and WHM is overall bland.

LowParry

Guys, looking for a new job to complement my MNK. Is AST pretty easily playable with controller? I heard SCH is pretty advanced and WHM is overall bland.

AST is pretty fun with their cards. And you have the option of stance swaps with regen and shields. Personally I prefer SCH. They're just a lot of fun and able to put out some decent dps.

As for controller use, no idea. Healing with a controller sounds like a nightmare.

ebil

I wouldn't say that SCH is particularly advanced. It's the easiest healer to play at an okay level, but it's relatively keybind-heavy and has several ground target skills so if that is something you're concerned about maybe AST is a better fit. I wouldn't even discount WHM, it's pretty vanilla but feels adequately powerful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom