• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammeiam

Guys, looking for a new job to complement my MNK. Is AST pretty easily playable with controller? I heard SCH is pretty advanced and WHM is overall bland.

All are workable on controller. SCH is kind of more work to get up and running, because the fairy's skills and each fairy having distinct action buttons makes getting everything mapped kind of a challenge, but creativity with macros on summoning can help here. Or just swapping between a ton of bars, I guess.

WHM is kind of to healers what monk is to melee in that it's very, very strong at its personal output but kind of lacking in synergy/utility stuff which makes it fall out of favor. It's my favorite for dungeons and PVP, though, because spammable Holy stun is great for huge dungeon pulls and the throughput comes in handy in PVP a lot.

AST is kind of like a less powerful WHM with a shield stance and the added card mechanic; the cards give you a decent Something Else To Do and provide utility, the stances letting you swap between regen and shields is nice for flexibility. But for the most part most AST skills map pretty directly to WHM skills. I like it for most eight-man stuff.

SCH is probably the hardest to really wrap your head around how it works because it's not WHM and you can't explain the skills as "like X WHM button". Fairy's passive healing is nice in a lot of stuff, and it's pretty solid for anything where you need sustained long-term healing and damage. PotD/undersized Aquapolis healer of choice for me.

All of 'em work, though.

Goli

Hi all. I got the FFXIV itch after seeing it on sale on PSN for PS4.

So, I got FFXIV back when ARR launched on PS3, and a little before since I also participated in the beta tests. I purchased the Steam version in 2015, but I started over since I couldn't remember my account for the PS3 version.

Now, when logging into the PS4 version, I noticed it automatically entered my PS3-era service account details, and I correctly guessed my own password... So basically I wasted the free upgrade and I don't get to carry on with my Steam version character. LOL

Anyway, both on my PS3 and Steam accounts I was mainly a healer, but I find that to be a really overall stressful situation when playing dungeons. What job do you guys recommend for me to main so I can quickly do story content? I'll miss my healing days, but honestly I just want to experience the storyline as stress-free as possible.

Hi all. I got the FFXIV itch after seeing it on sale on PSN for PS4.

So, I got FFXIV back when ARR launched on PS3, and a little before since I also participated in the beta tests. I purchased the Steam version in 2015, but I started over since I couldn't remember my account for the PS3 version.

Now, when logging into the PS4 version, I noticed it automatically entered my PS3-era service account details, and I correctly guessed my own password... So basically I wasted the free upgrade and I don't get to carry on with my Steam version character. LOL

Anyway, both on my PS3 and Steam accounts I was mainly a healer, but I find that to be a really overall stressful situation when playing dungeons. What job do you guys recommend for me to main so I can quickly do story content? I'll miss my healing days, but honestly I just want to experience the storyline as stress-free as possible.

Least stress is easily DPS, pretty much any of them are easy to pick up on. Tanks are fun and pretty easy but can be stressful when you're new. Any of the beefier DPS like Dragoon is really easy for all the story duties too which is always nice. I couldn't even imagine doing half of them as a healer

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Hey ps4 supports mouse and keyboard. I played that way too for a long time on it til I got my upgraded pc :p

Controller is ass, the thoughts of stance dancing and micro managing my fairy on a controller is nightmare inducing

Hearing dps that complains about having to attack specific targets in clusterfuck situations and that they cant target them pisses me off too :p

scy

I'd argue it's already fairly low complexity but KB/M instead of controller so I have to just shrug at the physical execution differences. Controller will always appear to be wizardry to me.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Did my first big boy raid tonight; bashed my head against A9S for 80 minutes to no avail.

Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

Controller is pretty easy to use after a while imo.

I tried playing this on keyboard and noped after a couple hours. I'm just too used to controller and my execution doesn't suffer with the proper crossbar setups.

Something like WoW I'll use keyboard but I'm too used to controller with this game.

The part that looked crazy to me was placing Sacred Soil or repositionning the pet mid fight, but with a proper setup you can kinda do it simply, basically you look at the ground a bit in front of you, so you just turn your char to position it there, instead of trying to aim the ground effect, but that requires proper positionning before the act. Well that and SCH has a lot more buttons than the other healers due to pets I find.

On the plus side, you can do most dungeons without caring about much at all due to fairy healing being OP. It only becomes relevant for like harder content.

Also haven't seen it here but didn't go far enough in pages maybe, but they said at 70 they're aiming for roughly the same amount of abilities as now(with the new ones added), so it seems they're not cutting that much. That or they're adding a lot. Not even sure there will be 5 more like HW.

Edzi

Just realized there are 2 subscription types - Standard and Entry. This game lets you play any class with a single character right, so is there any point to going for a standard sub over entry since the only benefit seems to be being able to create multiple characters? Seems like a weird way to split up subscription tiers.

Also, sorry if this isn't the place to be asking these super basic questions.

SkyOdin

Just realized there are 2 subscription types - Standard and Entry. This game lets you play any class with a single character right, so is there any point to going for a standard sub over entry since the only benefit seems to be being able to create multiple characters? Seems like a weird way to split up subscription tiers.

Also, sorry if this isn't the place to be asking these super basic questions.
I've been using an Entry subscription for almost four years now. Since I only play with a single character, it works fine for me.

The only reason I can think of to pay for Standard is if you want to level an alt to see the story again but still want to play with your FC friends.

iammeiam

C'mon, Dismantle/Rend Mind One Button 2017

MCH opener better stay DDR, it's a super satisfying button mash followed by a valley of plinking ineffectually.

Edzi

I've been using an Entry subscription for almost four years now. Since I only play with a single character, it works fine for me.

The only reason I can think of to pay for Standard is if you want to level an alt to see the story again but still want to play with your FC friends.

Thanks, I think I'll be going with Entry too if multiple chars is really the only major difference.

Btw, how's the gaf FC? When I was on my free month last year, I had joined a FC run by a youtuber I follow (Storm Feelers) but I'm considering a different FC if I jump back in. Something very noob friendly would be nice, and I'm assuming you can only be in one FC at a time right?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Adventures in crafting:
el63EJG.jpg

XJ7Hc9Z.jpg

gv7DZB0.jpg

Meowster

The voice acting in Heavensward is so much better than the original game. I liked Alphinaud's original voice actor but the new one is great too and fits the appearance much better. Everyone has been such an improvement for the most part (except for Merlwyb but the replacement ain't bad).

The voice acting in Heavensward is so much better than the original game. I liked Alphinaud's original voice actor but the new one is great too and fits the appearance much better. Everyone has been such an improvement for the most part (except for Merlwyb but the replacement ain't bad).

It would be funny if the voice acting changes again in Stormblood but that probably won't happen.

I liked the old VAs in ARR but the Heavensward ones are good too.

Especially Aymeric (although his VA didn't change from ARR).

duckroll

I just saw the introduction of the Empire villains in that cutscene during the Envoy quest.

O

M

F

G

!

FFXII

Xenogears

Star Wars

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

PRAISE BE TO YOSHIDA!

Status
Not open for further replies.