• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shy Fingers

Banned
Mounts are purely aesthetic right? I remember reading about all the grinding you have to do to get some of the rarer mounts, and I'm wondering if there's any real incentive to go through that outside of looks.

I'm pretty content with just riding my Chocobo, seeing as this is still first and foremost a Final Fantasy game for me.

In HW there are ones that fly and ones that can't, but after that yeah it's completely looks

I don't think this is really true for anything but pre-echo savage. Raids and dungeons provide a challenge, but not challenges that require specific rotations beyond normal job rotations.

Even EX Primal don't require so much specific job rotations as just learning the mechanics of the fight.

I'm talking about people who put out really low dps because that's what you're going to be doing if you're a new player and are not the type to research how to play things online.

I'm including the ice mages here as well as well meaning people who simply don't know that they are doing poorly because the game doesn't give you any direct feedback on how well you are actually playing.

Finished the 240 and 260 stage of my 3rd (WAR) relic. I already had the clusters but man what a sexy axe. It's really too bad the next 2 final stages look underwhelming in comparison. I like the alexandrian axe but axe of the blood emperor sharpened looks really damn neat.

Omni

I know a Bard that spams Wind and Venomous bite over and over and over again

it triggers me so much. For the most part I don't try to correct him though. Not really my place? I mean I've offered advice before but people will do whatever they want and I'm not gonna push it because of how defensive people seem to get about this stuff. As long as you're not doing that in a raid or something it's whatever xD

kagamin

The only advice I've received on MNK is really priority of Buffs/DOTS, I even made up my own opener and hold my own as DPS just fine even on higher end content.

Omni

Question about ninja.

Trying to maintain dancing edge, shadow fang, and mutilate on the boss at the same time is a bit tough. Ideally I won't have to use dancing edge but should I be clipping my dots early so I can keep dancing edge up if there's no war/he's bad? Or potentially let my DoTs fall off for a GCD or two

Unless I'm just mistiming it and they all line up correctly. Only level 56 right now. Kinda power levelling through the job

Valor

Burden of the Riley (Savage)
I am absolutely loving Dark Knight. So is it just me, or is it kind of encouraged to not have Grit on all the time? Is this also a thing I can do with Warrior? I've always been using tank stance, and I never considered going at it with tank stance off for more damage while keeping aggro.
Warrior post 50 gets a DPS stance so you're encouraged to use it while not actively tanking a mob. Dark Knight functions the same way with regards to Grit. Ideally you pull hate in Grit and then drop it so you have access to Blood Weapon and all that to allow you to deal more damage. The trade off is that you're obviously squishier so you'd need to more actively mitigate at times. Many Dark Knights (and Paladins) use Grit as a 20% damage reduction cooldown they'll toggle on and off as needed. The biggest thing with DRK I feel is that you gotta make sure you maintain your aggro lead if you're tanking with Grit off since a good dps can and will likely eventually overtake you.

The only advice I've received on MNK is really priority of Buffs/DOTS, I even made up my own opener and hold my own as DPS just fine even on higher end content.
I kind of backed into the new Monk opener myself. Was surprised to find out that the accepted opener was rather close to what I had been using for a bit before I decided to get serious about the job. It's hard to go wrong when your opener is literally put buffs on and blow all of your shit.

Question about ninja.

Trying to maintain dancing edge, shadow fang, and mutilate on the boss at the same time is a bit tough. Ideally I won't have to use dancing edge but should I be clipping my dots early so I can keep dancing edge up if there's no war/he's bad? Or potentially let my DoTs fall off for a GCD or two

Unless I'm just mistiming it and they all line up correctly. Only level 56 right now. Kinda power levelling through the job
The short answer is that they should line up cleanly, more or less. Dancing Edge is higher priority than keeping your dots up, so if you have to choose, choose Dancing Edge.

kagamin

Just for reference... my opener goes as follows (just assume Shoulder Tackle is on CD since I like using it to approach the boss in most cases since it looks cool):
Form Shift to Coeurl, Snap Punch, Dragon Kick, Twin Snakes, Blood for Blood at middle of cooldown, Snap Punch, Internal Release, Perfect Balance, Demolish, Steal Peak during cooldown, Touch of Death, Howling Fist during cooldown, Dragon Kick, Forbidden Chakra during cooldown, Twin Snakes, Elixir Field then start normal rotations.

Thorgal

Just for reference... my opener goes as follows (just assume Shoulder Tackle is on CD since I like using it to approach the boss in most cases since it looks cool):
Form Shift to Coeurl, Snap Punch, Dragon Kick, Twin Snakes, Blood for Blood at middle of cooldown, Snap Punch, Internal Release, Perfect Balance, Demolish, Steal Peak during cooldown, Touch of Death, Howling Fist during cooldown, Dragon Kick, Forbidden Chakra during cooldown, Twin Snakes, Elixir Field then start normal rotations.

Why not Demolish instead of that first Snap punch ?
You want to have that DOT ticking asap .

kagamin

Why not Demolish instead of that first Snap punch ?
You want to have that DOT ticking asap .

Wait, really, it's better to have it up? Instead of waiting to put it up at max potency?

Edit: Now that I think about it... sometimes I start with Demolish sometimes I start with Snap Punch, so it's just better to have Demolish up at the start regardless of its potency?

Ken

iirc there was an opener you can do that opened with demolish but you'd clip it towards the end of the opener with a fully buffed demolish

Is there like an updated guide for a8s anywhere that goes over the stuff that you can likely skip/ignore at current ilvls, and the stuff that you absolutely need to know?

My static wants to try it on Tuesday (I'm like is the faust minion really that important? >.>) but the raid guides for it on YT when it was relevant content are literally 50 minutes long, and even if I actually sat down and watched it there's no way I would internalize any of it. It's simply too much information.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Got Canopus.

Light is mind numbing but still much faster than Umbrite/Sands. Nolifed it hard over 3 days.

Thorgal

Wait, really, it's better to have it up? Instead of waiting to put it up at max potency?

Edit: Now that I think about it... sometimes I start with Demolish sometimes I start with Snap Punch, so it's just better to have Demolish up at the start regardless of its potency?

iirc there was an opener you can do that opened with demolish but you'd clip it towards the end of the opener with a fully buffed demolish

yep

6XMaU17.png

Luigi87

Cleaning out the hutch in my computer desk for the first time ever, I am finding stuff from over a decade of tossing things in there (ugh...)

But one thing is I found my "Ontario Scholar" certificate (guess which Canadian province I'm from =P) I got when I completed High School... No wonder I enjoy playing Scholar in this game, I have certification on paper!

Just randomness, lol

In game news, finishing 2.X and I had a long thought about this...
2.X really featured a fair amount of Alphinaud either doing or saying something thinking he was in the right, and then being put in his place...

B.K.

In game news, finishing 2.X and I had a long thought about this...
2.X really featured a fair amount of Alphinaud either doing or saying something thinking he was in the right, and then being put in his place...

It was worth it. Alphinaud really need to be brought down a few notches. He's a much better character in Heavensward. He's the most developed character in the game so far.

Luigi87

It was worth it. Alphinaud really need to be brought down a few notches. He's a much better character in Heavensward. He's the most developed character in the game so far.

Glad to hear that. He definitely was riding a high horse throughout ARR (annoyed me a few times during the Garuda arc).

Also the end of 2.55 made wonder, has the staff said anything about a Berserker job in the game?

dabig2

Glad to hear that. He definitely was riding a high horse throughout ARR (annoyed me a few times during the Garuda arc).

Also the end of 2.55 made wonder, has the staff said anything about a Berserker job in the game?

That's already pretty much the Warrior job. The entire job quest line from 30-60 is about controlling your "inner beast" and trying not to rage out uncontrollably during battle.

Haly

Anyone think that they will do anything to Summoner pets or ignore them in terms of new abilities like in Heavensward?

I expect Ramuh, Shiva, and Leviathan Egis. At least Ramuh.

I'd like to see them move away from pets entirely to be honest. WoW did an interesting thing with Demonology warlocks whereby their kit, instead of revolving around a single pet, instead became the summoning of lots of temporary pets. I think that fits SMN much better than Bio/Miasma (what part of summoning has to do with poisons anyway?) but this would be a total overhaul and out of the scope of SB.

Or maybe they'll do this for SB whereby SMN calls upon Ramuh, Shiva, and Leviathan temporarily as new abilities and they eventually go back to give the same treatment to Titan, Ifrit and Garuda. Or maybe not. It'll be interesting to see what they prune in favor of SB abilities. At least one thing I'd like to see is them moving Dreadwyrm trance much earlier into the SMN life (like, say, 45 or 50), because it adds a much needed dimension to their gameplay, but this might conflict with the deep class quest lore.

Another thing they can do in SB is increase Aetherflow/trail stacks to 5 while changing what you can do with it. For example:

Aethercharge: Your damage over time effects have a 5% chance to give you Aetherflow I.
Enhanced Dreadwyrm Trance: Dreamwyrm Trance consumes all Aethertrail stacks lasts 5 seconds for stack over 3.

So a9s is incredibly easy as healer/dps but I never actually tanked it before and now I think a9s is faster to farm light. Does anyone have any tips for me in there as a warrior? I understand i'm gonna be putting generators up and bringing adds and faust to a specific area. But is there anything else I should know?

Seems fairly straightforward actually...

I expect Ramuh, Shiva, and Leviathan Egis. At least Ramuh.

I'd like to see them move away from pets entirely to be honest. WoW did an interesting thing with Demonology warlocks whereby their kit, instead of revolving around a single pet, instead became the summoning of lots of temporary pets. I think that fits SMN much better than Bio/Miasma (what part of summoning has to do with poisons anyway?) but this would be a total overhaul and out of the scope of SB.

Or maybe they'll do this for SB whereby SMN calls upon Ramuh, Shiva, and Leviathan temporarily as new abilities and they eventually go back to give the same treatment to Titan, Ifrit and Garuda. Or maybe not. It'll be interesting to see what they prune in favor of SB abilities. At least one thing I'd like to see is them moving Dreadwyrm trance much earlier into the SMN life (like, say, 45 or 50), because it adds a much needed dimension to their gameplay, but this might conflict with the deep class quest lore.

Another thing they can do in SB is increase Aetherflow/trail stacks to 5 while changing what you can do with it. For example:

Aethercharge: Your damage over time effects have a 5% chance to give you Aetherflow I.
Enhanced Dreadwyrm Trance: Dreamwyrm Trance consumes all Aethertrail stacks lasts 5 seconds for stack over 3.

I agree that they should do something different with pets.

I don't really like their implementation here especially since they look really underwhelming.

I wouldn't mind if they were temporary things instead which does make some sense since that's how they act in other games so it would line up with them.

The Bio/Poison stuff is due to a holdover from sharing base class with Scholar. I honestly think that was a bad idea for them to share base class with Scholar instead of having their own unique one.

Haly

When Duckroll stopped playing on was stuck on Umbrite.

Now Duckroll still isn't playing and I have Canopus Lux.

So a9s is incredibly easy as healer/dps but I never actually tanked it before and now I think a9s is faster to farm light. Does anyone have any tips for me in there as a warrior? I understand i'm gonna be putting generators up and bringing adds and faust to a specific area. But is there anything else I should know?

Seems fairly straightforward actually...

Keep Faust behind the boss for the scapline before moving him to where you wanna kill him (Southwest corner most of the tine, Southeast corner if DPS is really bad.)

That's the only other thing you need to know really.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ARR Relic complete!

JWMklkC.png

Mind of mixed on the glow, might buy the replica of the step down to glam. Still love the look of it though. Way better than that fugly final anima for Bard.

Omni

ARR Relic complete!

JWMklkC.png

Mind of mixed on the glow, might buy the replica of the step down to glam. Still love the look of it though. Way better than that fugly final anima for Bard.

So good!

Really tempted to give the old relic a go. Wonder if it's doable in two months hmmm. I love that bow so much. Even if I don't use Bard all that much these days

Ken

North American Data Center Relocation

here we go!

The maintenance schedule for each data center is as following:

Aether / Primal Data Center Worlds
From Monday, May 15, 2017 12:00 a.m. to Wednesday, May 17, 2017 12:00 a.m. (PDT) * 48 hours
Elemental / Gaia / Mana / Chaos Data Center Worlds
From Tuesday, May 16, 2017 12:00 a.m. to Wednesday, May 17, 2017 12:00 a.m. (PDT) * 24 hours

TheChaos0

So, I've got Dark Knight to 50 yesterday and now that I've got all tank jobs to 50, I think I'll carrying on playing DRK. I do enjoy the extra resource management and there's a sort of sense of accomplishment of ending the fight without losing Darkside, having all the agro and well not dying. Got to say though, as I'm approaching the level cap, I'll need to rethink some of my keybinds. Using combination key binds (alt+1, ect) for frequent OGCDs isn't the best, need to find more comfortable buttons!

I also like that DRK has a charge and a snare in PvP and how DRK storyline ties into MSQ. OK, be right back, going to stock up on black dye...

Music in HW so far is... mmmmMMmmmm...

I've got to say that if I got got past 2.0 MSQ back when ARR came out, I would have never stopped playing this game, no matter how busy I got. On the other hand, I was able to binge through it all without having to wait for the patches!

On Alphinaud, he was a cocky little bastard that thought he knew it all, only to be brought to his place, I'm glad that happened, just that made him a more interesting character... now what's his sister doing... aside from stalking her bro through a crystal ball... Hmmm... Still need to get used to his VO change! It's sort of similar but it's not.

Haly

Due to the maintenance accompanying the relocation, players will be unable to play for an extended period of time. As compensation, we will extend the subscription period by one day for all players who have an active subscription during the maintenance.
I'm not one to get the shakes and itching after 2 days without my drug but really, did they not think to themselves "hm maybe we should give players 3 days for the 3 days we're taking from them". If we treat it as 1 day of extended maintenance then it could even be 2. But 1 day for 3 is... they might as not give us any extra days at all cause it's about the same amount of insult.

ebil

Anyone think that they will do anything to Summoner pets or ignore them in terms of new abilities like in Heavensward?
They'll do nothing interesting with pets. At most they'll rebalance their skills so that you're not using a ranged pet 90% of the time. I wouldn't be surprised if they removed or neutered pet skills, as they've already said they don't want to make pet management any more difficult. New egis are going to be purely cosmetic.

I wouldn't mind if they kept going with the Summoner channeling Primal skills theme in the future. I always liked what they did with Yuna in Dissidia for example.

Luigi87

I'm not one to get the shakes and itching after 2 days without my drug but really, did they not think to themselves "hm maybe we should give players 3 days for the 3 days we're taking from them". If we treat it as 1 day of extended maintenance then it could even be 2. But 1 day for 3 is... they might as not give us any extra days at all cause it's about the same amount of insult.

Yeah that is kind of bullcrap on their end...

duckroll

I can either play more P5 tonight, or play a bit of FFXIV. I'm not sure if I should be dividing my resources or just finishing P5 once and for all before moving on. GAF please help me make tough decisions.

Luigi87

I can either play more P5 tonight, or play a bit of FFXIV. I'm not sure if I should be dividing my resources or just finishing P5 once and for all before moving on. GAF please help me make tough decisions.

Take your time.
Yeah, this. I mean in my experience the moment I feel obligated to play a game is when I lose interest in it, so best to play what you feel like at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom