• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenai

I am willing to give them some benefit of the doubt here on some things sans PS3. They've had a lot of fails but a lot of sucesses, and they seem to at least work on things that catch their attention (like zone activity, and flat asses). That's such an exasperating first step though.

I'm not expecting to be amazed but hopefully pleasantly surprised. WoW style phasing is a distant and probably unrealistic dream anytime soon (as much as it would fit in here) but there's some big in between stuff

Foxxsoxx

I am willing to give them some benefit of the doubt here on some things sans PS3. They've had a lot of fails but a lot of sucesses, and they seem to at least work on things that catch their attention (like zone activity, and flat asses). That's such an exasperating first step though.

I'm not expecting to be amazed but hopefully pleasantly surprised. WoW style phasing is a distant and probably unrealistic dream anytime soon (as much as it would fit in here) but there's some big in between stuff

My main thing that gets on my nerves is that you never have NPCs ever follow you or anything.

"HEY LETS ALL GO ON THIS TRAIL TO THIS NEXT PLACE TOGETHER."

hqdefault.jpg

Pretty much all the NPCs in the world feel incredibly static, which is a shame since WoW got really good at making it a bit more seamless.

The benchmark showed a lot of NPCs around Kugane but they did the same thing with the Heavensward benchmark IIRC.

I wouldn't mind a large amount of filler NPCs in the city. It would make it feel like people actually live there instead of the sparse amounts you typically see.

This is a common things in games though. When someone says some place is a city but you only see a small number of people. The immersive feel that's added by having inhabitants in cities shouldn't be underestimated.

Imagine if they removed all the people in Persona 5 so the only NPCs you see in that game are the ones you can directly talk to. The streets/school/subway and other areas would feel pretty empty imo.

Yeah if they maybe made them lower poly crowds or something so it doesn't tank framerate.

Doubtful though.

Yoship said that they're focusing on increasing the amounts of objects drawn on your screen at once for the expansion.

So they could just add an option for it in graphics for people who need fps.

I'm not expecting it though. It would be neat to see crowds of people moving about in the streets in addition to the NPCs we already get that have ambient dialogue.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Nice. Finished Palace of the Dead 200 tonight.

Got the Glass Pumpkin.
Grats and thanks for reminding me that there's one thing that I really should do before SB hits.

PotD, while repetitive if done over and over was easily the most fun I've had with FFXIV in the past year or so. While group playing is not bad until you get tired of it, my solo runs (best being WAR to 132 or 136) felt really exciting, especially since I was going for both achievements which meant no dying from floor 1.

Kenai

My main thing that gets on my nerves is that you never have NPCs ever follow you or anything.

"HEY LETS ALL GO ON THIS TRAIL TO THIS NEXT PLACE TOGETHER."

Pretty much all the NPCs in the world feel incredibly static, which is a shame since WoW got really good at making it a bit more seamless.

This is fair, but also to be fair it took WoW a long time to get some of the stuff going that they did. And they pioneered a lot of it too. I still remember WoW pre Dungeon Finder, pre-phasing. That stuff was kind of a nightmare if you were on a dead server like I was. I'm not trying to defend SE too much here since 2017 expectations are a lot higher than ~2007 and they should adjust accordingly, but I can understand that at least some of the things I want will take time. If they come.

If I see a jump from HW to SB like I did from ARR to HW, I'll be happy. If I see significantly better (which is possible) I'll be ecstatic. The much bigger inventory is a great start on it's own.

DRK
WHM
DRG
BRD

180-189 is easily the hardest set of floors due to the chimeras. You have to take it super, super slow. We tried to save up Witching, Rages, Safetys for 185-188 in particular.

Chimeras is pretty much where every group I have ever been with wipe and quit. I don't think I have the patience to go through that again.

Foxxsoxx

Floor 49 on POTD.

Only 3 people since healer immediately left after floor 42.

Of course the 2 idiots I'm with trigger multiple traps that are already exposed and then manage to run into a room with multiple enemies running around and behind us without using any of our useful pomanders, then continue to run into even more mobs.

Come on dude... what a shit group.

jWILL253

Banned
The main quests in the Coerthas region are by far the worst part of the main story for me, so far.

A bunch of standoffish religious zealots holed up in the snowy mountains that are too selfish and short-sighted to interact like normal people. And now I gotta prove myself to some asshole - thanks to the words of another asshole - and do some random errands to gain access to some shithole area in the region to access an airship? Even though we've already had access to airships way before now, and this part of the game only exists to give the writers a reason to shoehorn Cid into the game?

Ugh.

KuroNeeko

The main quests in the Coerthas region are by far the worst part of the main story for me, so far.

A bunch of standoffish religious zealots holed up in the snowy mountains that are too selfish and short-sighted to interact like normal people. And now I gotta prove myself to some asshole - thanks to the words of another asshole - and do some random errands to gain access to some shithole area in the region to access an airship? Even though we've already had access to airships way before now, and this part of the game only exists to give the writers a reason to shoehorn Cid into the game?

Ugh.

But dat music.

I'm desperately hoping that there's actually a reason to hang out in Kugane once you've finished the MSQ. I actually really liked Ishgard, but it never once felt as if it was the fourth city-state it was touted to be. Having to zone into the MB area was a pain and I don't recall it ever getting any seasonal event decorations either. Samurai and Red Mage aren't even going to start there! Outside of seasonal events, Ul'dah and Gridania at least have GCs to keep people coming back. Past precedent makes me doubt they'll make Kugane the endgame hub, but I'd be very happy if they proved me wrong. It would go a long way towards making sure that the city actually feels like one.

Sorian

Banned

Ugh.

I mean, Cid was in the game well before then, he's a person who was already introduced to the world in the 1.x series. His shit is better, that's why you need him and not that trash tier airship schlock that they make on ishgard.

duckroll

Ugh.

I had a completely different experience. The Coerthas portion of the MSQ in 2.0 was probably my favorite part outside of the endgame stuff post-Garuda. For the entire game the events of the world felt largely insignificant. There's a lot of trolling, a lot of typical do-gooder stuff, but it was largely a stable foundation of 3 states who know how to maintain the order, even at the expense of refugees and other social issues. It was ~boring~ to me.

But I got to Coerthas and suddenly everything was different. This was an actual unstable region. There was treachery afoot. Backstabbing everything. Political intrigue. Noble houses at each others' throats. Inquisitors who weren't who they seemed. Religious conflict. It was delicious. I spent so much time in the zone I exhausted all the quests, including all the optional stuff, because I was so interested in the actual setting and the background behind everything.

Coerthas was when I knew for sure that it wouldn't be a waste of my time feeling invested in characters and places in FFXIV.

I'm desperately hoping that there's actually a reason to hang out in Kugane once you've finished the MSQ. I actually really liked Ishgard, but it never once felt as if it was the fourth city-state it was touted to be. Having to zone into the MB area was a pain and I don't recall it ever getting any seasonal event decorations either. Samurai and Red Mage aren't even going to start there! Outside of seasonal events, Ul'dah and Gridania at least have GCs to keep people coming back. Past precedent makes me doubt they'll make Kugane the endgame hub, but I'd be very happy if they proved me wrong. It would go a long way towards making sure that the city actually feels like one.

Kugane has a housing district right? Maybe that'll help some. I mean, ultimately it's hard to think of good reasons to "hang out" in expansion zones rather than the bread and butter home zones which everyone is already accustomed to and has all the stuff you need, including the GC stuff. Maybe they can introduce another minigame mega dungeon or randomly generated quest thing similar to PotD, and put the entry point in Kugane. I'm sure that would get a crowd. Hahahahaha.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Prices of items in the FFXIV item shop will never cease to amaze me.

I remember wanting to buy Sleipnir before the price was announced, supporting the game and all - expected it to be $5-$10. $25? Ha, ha, no.

jWILL253

Banned
I feel like SE is the worst at pricing microtransactions.

$20 for anything that isn't a jump potion is dumb. Especially for consumable in-game content.

Animekatt

My group swiped to floor 188 in PotD. The tank (my bf) did a long pull with a chimera, but didn't pull it all the way to the starting room, and the Smn tripped the lure trap which had another chimera. ;_;

The party makeup:
Pld
Ast (me)
Brd
Smn

I really wanted to get the second housing tower before SB, but oh well. We will attempt again after the expac newness settles in.

duckroll

Pshh that money is going directly into Square's pockets.

I doubt much of any of that is actually going into the game.

I'm actually very sure it does. Not directly in the sense that if you buy this shit they take that money and make content, but rather, the more profitable FFXIV is as a service, and the more consistently it can maintain that level of profit, the more leverage the team has when it comes to asking for more resources from the company to continue to make content and more ambitious content. Stormblood is the same price as Heavensward and it looks much more ambitious. There are also tons of ongoing QOL improvements being made. None of this is would be possible if FFXIV is not seen as an ongoing money maker for Square Enix.

That's how games as services work. Every sucker helps maintain the importance of the funneling more investment into the title from stakeholders who stand to benefit directly from it.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
I'm actually very sure it does. Not directly in the sense that if you buy this shit they take that money and make content, but rather, the more profitable FFXIV is as a service, and the more consistently it can maintain that level of profit, the more leverage the team has when it comes to asking for more resources from the company to continue to make content and more ambitious content. Stormblood is the same price as Heavensward and it looks much more ambitious. There are also tons of ongoing QOL improvements being made. None of this is would be possible if FFXIV is not seen as an ongoing money maker for Square Enix.

That's how games as services work. Every sucker helps maintain the importance of the funneling more investment into the title from stakeholders who stand to benefit directly from it.
So you're saying everyone here should be thanking me for my fantasia addiction and all that money I wast... er, invested into content?

You're welcome for the content everyone.

jWILL253

Banned
I think you might be mixing up Fantasia and Glamours lol

That or you're talking about the free potion you get on your first sub month.

Actually, I just realized I was talking about the Aesthetician, which is apparently different from Fantasia.

Speaking of which, I wish the character creator was more in depth, with more face sculpting sliders. It would also be nice to give my character some visible eyebrows.

Eldren

Improved character customisation was the first question asked at the last fanfest and Yoshi said he'd talk to the development team about it so hopefully one day we'll have more options.

iammeiam

I'm not really sure Stormblood looks meaningfully more ambitious or bigger than HW. It's going to follow the exact same content cycle that ARR started and HW parroted (HW at least added normal mode raid; SB is maybe adding mystery difficult content on odd patches, but the longer they refuse to commit the more it looks like SB's egi glamour.) They're reworking combat, but they're also delivering one fewer new jobs and no new race alongside it. HW added Mac support, expanding the potential players while SB is dumping PS3. SB has swimming, HW had flying. HW had the EU server move, SB I guess gets credit for the NA moves? Even the way they're promoting it and communicating the changes to the players is a photocopy of the HW press hype cycle. But I don't think there's any reason SB would be more ambitious than HW--the game was already far more successful than expected and apparently super profitable pre-HW; HW spiked the population but doesn't seem to have led to a long-term playerbase expansion so it's not incredibly surprising that the next expansion is limited in scope to similar to the prior.

Wait, no, I lied. HW didn't have the honeybuns tie-in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom