• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward |OT2| RIP Bowmage 2015-2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iammeiam

I still think the most annoying part of the glamours isn't that it's $18 for an outfit, it's that it's $18 and not account-wide. It makes the stuff they choose to make for-pay in the cash shop worse than the stuff they tie into marketing promotions, because at least the promotional stuff is account-wide.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
SE pricing some of these items is so high, I actually stop and ponder between the item and a full game for the same price.

I mean they can charge whatever they want, but it is a weird feeling. They take a lot from WoW and this is one of them. Their shop items are high priced as well.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
WoW has considerably less of those items though! It's just some pets and mounts, and they're all just okay offers.

On the other hand their service fees are considerably higher too.

These Eastern items may be priced higher because they were offers from Korean side of things? Doesn't absolve them from responsibility for this garbage of course given we get $7 emotes.

Thorgal

while i agree that the price of these items is.. pricey i don't really mind it as the glamour given for free ingame : buy able glamour on mogstation ratio is still vastly in favor of the former .

compare that to My time in GW 2 where it felt like more Glamour stuff came out on the store then actually in game .

studyguy

This E3 is open to the public iirc.
Considering just going out for Stormsblood, but eh. Idk
I have the option of going with a friend who attends it annually but all the same even he suggests just staying home.

iammeiam

GW2 cash shop and XIV aren't comparable because GW2 has no sub.

Realistically the XIV cash shop is just them testing higher price points to see what we'll spend (Scion gear at $15 sold, so let's try far eastern at $18. $24 bennu/Sleipnir sold, let's try a $30 fat chocobench!) I'd totally stop caring if they followed the Blizzard route and made everything account-wide.

This E3 is open to the public iirc.
Considering just going out for Stormsblood, but eh. Idk
It'd be a massive headache.

Tickets sold out.

Godspeed whoever's going please leak us lots of clandestine photos of job-destroying change in tooltips.

royox

I need some tech help. My friend, totally useless when talking about computers is playing on MAC and gets a crash (with no error message) every time he joins into a dungeon and another when he leaves.

I'm searching everywhere but I can't find anything using google and I also have no idea about MACs.

"Why do you care?". Because he thinks this is Squareenix fault because "this never happens in wow because wow this wow that" and he is about to drop the game.

He reinstalled the game.
He plays with Fullscreen.

I still think it may be something about the resolution he's using or something graphical but no idea.

"But why anybody would play using a mac?"

IKR!!??

iammeiam

I thought they dropped full on mac support.
I'd assume he'd be playing on a dual boot windows/mac

No, they added it in HW, realized the people they outsourced to did a trash-tier job, pulled it from sale for a while, then rereleased it in February of 2016. I haven't heard much about the performance since, and have never tried running it because lol@paying extra for a mac license, but my impression is it's been largely functional since the rerelease.

I can't find much in the way of people talking about the official Mac client, though. I'd guess people who were playing on WINE pre-HW might have just never switched to the official version since it's still not truly native anyway.

studyguy

I thought everyone dual booted on macs these days anyhow if you were playing games.
Do many games still come out with mac support anymore?

Guess Who

Banned
I play FFXIV on my MacBook Pro and just use Boot Camp, because:

1) I've never tried the Mac client, but I'd bet $100 the Windows one runs better, and

2) Making the Mac client a separate buy is dumb as shit.

Runs pretty solidly in DX9 on medium-highish settings, 1920x1200 on the Radoen Pro 460. Better than the PS4 version for sure.

iammeiam

I have a Windows computer for my main gaming PC, but run a Macbook Pro for most day-to-day laptop stuff.

Mac support at this point is pretty decent? My steam library has 510 things in it; 313 of them are Mac-compatible. Most of the misses though tend to be larger titles with most of the smaller titles or things running on some of the more common game engines showing up (Prey isn't in my Mac library, but Torment is.)

I'm not sure how much of the incompatible stuff can be run under WINE (and as far as I know the official Mac client is just the Windows client running through a WINE-esque middleware), but while I dual booted the first Macbook I bought post-Intel switch, it hasn't seemed worth it lately. Most of the stuff I'd want to play on a laptop works on Mac; most of the stuff that doesn't I just play on the desktop.

Bebpo

Banned
Just moved over from Hyperion to Ultros and joined the GAF server (Dequillo Ternathem). Getting back to HW to try to finish up the MSQ before SB. Still pretty early, around story MSQ lvl.53 and the Gnath.

iammeiam

Paradox games have Mac support at the very least and they're the definition of niche.

I'll see your Paradox and raise you Stephen's Sausage Roll which is somehow made by one guy and the best puzzle game ever while also being about cooking sausages you've been rolling all over the dirt.

(also if people want to cry before Stormblood Rakuen is pretty good stuff.)

ON TOPIC JUSTIFICATION FOR POST:

Next live letter one week from today:

Letter from the Producer LIVE at E3 2017

We'll be hosting the E3 edition of the Letter from the Producer LIVE where Yoshi-P will use the opportunity to answer questions from the official forum!

When
Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at 4:30 p.m. (PDT)

URLs

Square Enix Presents (YouTube) To be announced
Square Enix (Twitch) (http://sqex.to/twitch)
* Presented in English and Japanese.

FORUM QUESTIONS

THE TRUE MARK OF A GREAT LIVELETTER

Talking about CS I wish SB could reach again 1.0 level CS (the 3 good ones), at least for the key scenes.

https://youtu.be/j7gCvFp6uuc?list=PLLfhkR8m8wYshIqe6HJd7VO7tCi-3M-hy&t=256

HW 3.56 spoilers
Shinryu vs Omega lacked "oomph" factor, Is nice that with the low budget and canned animations the teams is able to produce decent locking scenes, but I wish that for the MSQ key moments they could throw something better.

So yeah, buy more cosmetic stuff until we get fully motion captured scenes. ;)

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Just moved over from Hyperion to Ultros and joined the GAF server (Dequillo Ternathem). Getting back to HW to try to finish up the MSQ before SB. Still pretty early, around story MSQ lvl.53 and the Gnath.
Need some lv 60 gear to skip some of the grind when you reach 60?

3.0 should have ended with a CG battle.
tfw we'll likely never get another Coil era CGI

Cut useless CGI trailers by half and dedicate that money for MSQ CG final moments.

Tbh, I'll be ok with good real time cutscenes if they had the necessary production values to make justice to some of the story moments.

studyguy

At least cutscenes in 4.0 from those trailers were more than just closeups of faces with the /anger emote and people unsheating weapons.

Squishy3

At least cutscenes in 4.0 from those trailers were more than just closeups of faces with the /anger emote and people unsheating weapons.
Still waiting for when they replace every instance of /unsheathe and /cheer with the /battlestance and /victorypose they gave everybody in 3.1.

Wagram

I do think the lead up to 4.0 has been softer than the lead up to 3.0 for sure. That's not to say some cool things aren't happening, but yeah, I do agree there should have been a CGI cutscene in one particular scene for sure.

studyguy

I mean 3.0 lead up was literally "Oh shit there's dragons and holy fuck what just happened to the Scions"

This one definitely felt slower till the final cutscene. Even now I'm still sort of dubious on what the supposed "plan" they had all along with the rebels. It just sort of feels like we're dragged along because we have nothing better to do vs forced into our new location last time.

studyguy

I'm still floored by the fact that we gave so little thought to
unleashing a fucking weapon on par with Bahamut in Omega's cutscene. Like the whole thing took a few minutes of decision before we shot that thing off and at the end it was like... yeah well, I guess it worked and blasted off to who the fuck knows where. Call it a day and lets go home.

It's not like we didn't just cause some fucking massive explosions and tidal waves over what looked like was part of Grid.

The lead in to Heavensward was "Holy shit, cliffhanger!" whereas the lead in to Stormblood has been "Guess it's time to take care of this problem that's been festering for a while." The former is more exciting in the moment, but also is one of the cheapest narrative moves XIV has done, since it did not satisfyingly follow up on the plot events except for the Scion split-up and was fundamentally an artifically forced excuse to get you to Ishgard. The lead in to Stormblood is more natural, so as long as Stormblood itself actually delivers an interesting narrative I'll end up liking it better than 2.55 in the grand scheme of things.

Squishy3

Where Stormblood can go is ultimately more exciting to me than what did happen in Heavensward. (at least in regards to its main plot, the Dragonsong War.)

Lot of plot from 1.0 onwards that can be expanded on. One of the tidbits in the lorebook mentions something from 1.0 where they did the first test for the Meteor Project at the Bozja Citadel (and this was mentioned in 1.0, but didn't reveal the location of the Bozja Citadel.) and wiped the Citadel and the surrounding city in a shot coming down from Dalamud, leading to the death of Cid's father. (And this being why he and others defected from Garlemald) http://scholarofnym.tumblr.com/post/109414790222/bozja-citadel

Lorebook then reveals the Bozja Citadel was in Othard, and the entirety of Othard is visible on the new map so it's likely we'll be going to where the Citadel was at some point.

Allard

Where Stormblood can go is ultimately more exciting to me than what did happen in Heavensward. (at least in regards to its main plot, the Dragonsong War.)

Lot of plot from 1.0 onwards that can be expanded on. One of the tidbits in the lorebook mentions something from 1.0 where they did the first test for the Meteor Project at the Bozja Citadel (and this was mentioned in 1.0, but didn't reveal the location of the Bozja Citadel.) and wiped the Citadel and the surrounding city in a shot coming down from Dalamud, leading to the death of Cid's father. (And this being why he and others defected from Garlemald) http://scholarofnym.tumblr.com/post/109414790222/bozja-citadel

Lorebook then reveals the Bozja Citadel was in Othard, and the entirety of Othard is visible on the new map so it's likely we'll be going to where the Citadel was at some point.

We are still missing half the Othard continent but at least its pseudo visible on the map. Unless that pock marked desert region is the place you are talking about we likely won't see this location till a different expansion unless its part of the Ivalice content. Hell I don't expect us to really see even half the continent that we can see. My guess is the three Othard zones we have already been told about will be it and the Ivalice content will take place in a different fashion like how we went to the Machi city in Mor Dhona but we never got to explore it beyond being used as a raid.

In order to meet the 'same amount of zones' as Heavensward we need at least one more open air zone (6 total open field zones in HW, Ishgard City (split into two zones), and Idyleshire to make a total of 8). We have now seen two zones in Gyr Abania, 3 in Othard, and one city zone. That leaves one open field zone and likely another zone for the expansions hub city (Which I personally hope is Ala Mhigo). My hunch is due to the fact it hasn't shown up yet the last zone might be in the northwest portion of Gyr Abania, maybe even into Xelphatol where
Omega
crashed. If that locations managed to be in the zone where Ala Mhigo appears to be, that leaves one additional zone to be anything they want. Of course I wouldn't mind them adding more then 6 open field zones though given the size and scale of the new territory they are introducing :p.

Personally as far as what I look forward to from the zones is to learn more about the other zones. Think about how little we know about the Far East and how little we know about the interior locations since Garlemald took over everything, what cultures have been suppressed, what hidden locales exist have we not heard about because up till now we hadn't talked with the locals? Now we are so close to their territory on both sides the amount of new stories to come out could be endless if they wanted.

Aeana

Oh, I didn't know you were still playing. Welcome to Ultros~

Sandfox

I need to get my item level up to 230 so I can clear 3.5. I'm at 203 right now and should be able to get it up a bit more tonight.

Squishy3

We are still missing half the Othard continent but at least its pseudo visible on the map. Unless that pock marked desert region is the place you are talking about we likely won't see this location till a different expansion unless its part of the Ivalice content. Hell I don't expect us to really see even half the continent that we can see. My guess is the three Othard zones we have already been told about will be it and the Ivalice content will take place in a different fashion like how we went to the Machi city in Mor Dhona but we never got to explore it beyond being used as a raid.

In order to meet the 'same amount of zones' as Heavensward we need at least one more open air zone (6 total open field zones in HW, Ishgard City (split into two zones), and Idyleshire to make a total of 8). We have now seen two zones in Gyr Abania, 3 in Othard, and one city zone. That leaves one open field zone and likely another zone for the expansions hub city (Which I personally hope is Ala Mhigo). My hunch is due to the fact it hasn't shown up yet the last zone might be in the northwest portion of Gyr Abania, maybe even into Xelphatol where
Omega
crashed. If that locations managed to be in the zone where Ala Mhigo appears to be, that leaves one additional zone to be anything they want. Of course I wouldn't mind them adding more then 6 open field zones though given the size and scale of the new territory they are introducing :p.

Personally as far as what I look forward to from the zones is to learn more about the other zones. Think about how little we know about the Far East and how little we know about the interior locations since Garlemald took over everything, what cultures have been suppressed, what hidden locales exist have we not heard about because up till now we hadn't talked with the locals? Now we are so close to their territory on both sides the amount of new stories to come out could be endless if they wanted.
There's only a little bit of Othard still obscured and there's a Lorecast with gamerescape and Koji Fox that covers what the that part probably is, actually: https://gamerescape.com/2016/04/28/lorecast-7-get-to-the-chowder/

East of Ala Mhigo, there's a land-bridge leading into what has been identified only as Garlean territory. The other continents are oft spoken of, but in vague terms. Some interpreted the land-bridge as leading into Ilsabard, which both continues north but connects to Othard in the east, while others have interpreted it as Othard itself, continuing east with Ilsabard connecting to it directly north. Can we clear that up?

A: <pronouncing Othard as Oh-thard>

KF: First, I want to clear up your pronunciation of Oth-ard.

A: Oh, no! <laughs>

KF: I don't think we've ever really said it anywhere.

F: Funny that pronunciation comes up, back when we did that pronunciation thing you told us Dzemael was closer to Zay-mail but in Heavesnsward it's ze-My-l.

KF: That&#8216;s wrong! That is wrong! <laughing> I need to ... go and burn ... It's Zay-mail!

A: Now that you mention it, though, when Gaius first lands in Vylbrand, the voiced guy does say Othard. It stuck in my head because in another language he says he's from Rabanastre.

KF: Guess where Rabanastre iiis! <laughs> There's also a line in the Japanese version where they name-drop Dalmasss&#8212;<throat clearing> It's not in English, but that's where it is and maybe someday we'll be seeing some of <heavy throat clearing>. But yes, that land bridge connects directly to Ilsabard. You cannot get to Othard from there without going through Ilsabard. So there's the land bridge and it goes into Ilsabard. <emphatic hand gestures>.

So the obscured part is probably the part of Othard that connects to Ilsabard.

Allard

There's only a little bit of Othard still obscured and there's a Lorecast with gamerescape and Koji Fox that covers what the that part probably is, actually: https://gamerescape.com/2016/04/28/lorecast-7-get-to-the-chowder/

East of Ala Mhigo, there’s a land-bridge leading into what has been identified only as Garlean territory. The other continents are oft spoken of, but in vague terms. Some interpreted the land-bridge as leading into Ilsabard, which both continues north but connects to Othard in the east, while others have interpreted it as Othard itself, continuing east with Ilsabard connecting to it directly north. Can we clear that up?

A: <pronouncing Othard as Oh-thard>

KF: First, I want to clear up your pronunciation of Oth-ard.

A: Oh, no! <laughs>

KF: I don’t think we’ve ever really said it anywhere.

F: Funny that pronunciation comes up, back when we did that pronunciation thing you told us Dzemael was closer to Zay-mail but in Heavesnsward it’s ze-My-l.

KF: That‘s wrong! That is wrong! <laughing> I need to … go and burn … It’s Zay-mail!

A: Now that you mention it, though, when Gaius first lands in Vylbrand, the voiced guy does say Othard. It stuck in my head because in another language he says he’s from Rabanastre.

KF: Guess where Rabanastre iiis! <laughs> There’s also a line in the Japanese version where they name-drop Dalmasss—<throat clearing> It’s not in English, but that’s where it is and maybe someday we’ll be seeing some of <heavy throat clearing>. But yes, that land bridge connects directly to Ilsabard. You cannot get to Othard from there without going through Ilsabard. So there’s the land bridge and it goes into Ilsabard. <emphatic hand gestures>.

So the obscured part is probably the part of Othard that connects to Ilsabard.

Yeah I read that earlier before the expansion was even announced. I know Ivalice stuff is going to be in Othard the question was and is always 'how much'. There is still a decent amount obscured though just looking at the landmass you can sparsely through the clouds, a good 2/5ths of the continent obscured in the south. (Also read the lore book, got it in the second shipment :) ). One thing I am curious of is if they are going to have a more 'fantastical' open air zone left to be revealed like we had with Azys Lla or if that is going to be relegated to the Omega Raid given where the raid is supposed to be this time.

Bebpo

Banned
Oh, I didn't know you were still playing. Welcome to Ultros~

I took a break early into HW due to crafting burnout (spent about 200 hours getting most of my crafters/gathers to lvl.50 and one day asked myself why and quit the game), but now with SB coming, getting back though the first thing I did was sell my entire 4 retainer inventory of mats and unsub 2 of my retainers and swear off any crafting/gathering ever again. Just sticking to one main battle job this time so I won't get burnt out.

dramatis

Ultros GAF screenshot contest will be over tomorrow, if you would like to participate you only have so long.

5Ig4dkZ.jpg

Memories of Heavensward - Ultros GAF Screenshot Contest

Stormblood is almost upon us, so for the month of May we'll relive the glorious (and not so glorious) memories of Heavensward.

To participate, submit a screenshot (yours only, please) of someplace in Heavensward that you may have a fond memory of (or just a liking for). If you are a new player, get a picture of whatever. I suggest you share your weird thoughts and anecdotes about Heavensward with the screenshot as well. Please include in your submission that you are submitting a screenshot for the HW Ultros GAF screenshot contest.

Players can only enter once, so you can post multiple screenshots but you will have only one entry.

Winner will be selected at random.

The prize is a date with Sosul Mars your choice of one of the following:
Wind-up Garuda
Wind-up Ifrit
Wind-up Leviathan
Wind-up Ramuh
Wind-up Shiva
Wind-up Titan
Wind-up Edda
If you already have all of the above, you'll receive a carry through Aurum Vale.
Winner will also receive 2 million gil and a Baby Opo-opo minion.

Entries will be accepted until May 31st. Post in the GAF FF14 OT, link with @[officer name] on the Discord server, or send a tell in game to an officer.

Xux

Weird that we're getting swimming but we don't seem to be going to the Sahagin kingdom, where ever it is.

Does anyone know when the media tour event details are coming out? I thought I saw on Reddit the R/FFXIV mods would be posting news about what was at the event in late may but I can't find the post anymore.

iammeiam

Does anyone know when the media tour event details are coming out? I thought I saw on Reddit the R/FFXIV mods would be posting news about what was at the event in late may but I can't find the post anymore.

Chatter has it as tomorrow morning; there's some weird the end date of the embargo may,itself, be embargo'd thing going on, but leaks spring up here and there and tomorrow seems to be a common theme.

Also if the SMN 'leak' post on Reddit is true I expect SMN to get massive hype pretty quickly. Bahamut has a petbar!

Chatter has it as tomorrow morning; there's some weird the end date of the embargo may,itself, be embargo'd thing going on, but leaks spring up here and there and tomorrow seems to be a common theme.

Also if the SMN 'leak' post on Reddit is true I expect SMN to get massive hype pretty quickly. Bahamut has a petbar!

That's fantastic!

OMG if that's true I'm almost tempted to play Summoner despite hating dots.

Thorgal

Finally decided to finish the relic before SB . Victory lap will be finished tomorrow .

ffxiv_dx112017-05-302jos8h.jpg

Also despite the feminine looks my Character is a male Potato
:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom