• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Ah. Eh, it's probably mostly for balance purposes. Long CD too though, Dualcast for RDM is up every other spell basically.
Oh, of course. It was just surprising to see, after RDM's 2 hour skill in FFXI was basically multicast (for a certain period of time iirc).

Omni

That was cutting it close. Finished the trial 10 seconds before the maintenance message

Final trial? We might have been in the same party.

If you were with an AST (me) that died like five times on our first pull and then half the party D/C'd on the second, before clearing on the third.

Man what a fight, haha.

I'm 12 quests away before hitting Heavensward content.

I bought HW awhile back and had all these main story quests so I just did those burnt myself out. But I'm back again and with renewed vigor to not let my purchase be in vain haha.

Being a level 51 PLD and doing all these quests and barely getting any exp is a little sad so thinking I should take a break and level a little.. Somehow.

Never played anything other than a my Paladin really so I'm interested in playing DPS and I'm liking Red Mage from what I've done in the novice hall and messing around in story quests.

Theirs so much I haven't done yet and need to learn about. I never did pvp, potd, tribe quests, nor know what's up with hunts, never touched hard mode dungeons/content, some raids, and theirs gotta be stuff I don't even know I don't know about haha.

Kinda overwhelmed but also just cool that theirs some much content for me to enjoy.

Gonna resub once the servers are back. I think I'll try a DPS class because I'm not sure I'll ever get over my tanking anxiety :( Sucks because my WAR is so much higher than anything else and I enjoy it a lot until I have to use duty finder.

Will be fun to come back and see some new stuff though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Missed out on 70 dungeon chest drop because people didn't role fast enough before servers went poof.

D:

xkramz

Man summoner is so boring now. Mind you I'm level 54. So I don't have painflare, deadwyn and other shit.

But before I used to enjoy using bio 1 and 2 and miasma casting 3 DoT. Now I got 1 instant cast and miasma. After I spread with bane ( which got need by alot) all I could So is either fester or ruin II nonstop. Rotation sucks now it's too simple

Bard and Machinist example openers and SSS dummies.

Highlights include how hard they tried to have the heated shot animations compensate for the boring shot animations, and how much do-nothing time there is now that most of the oGCDs were sent to a farm upstate.

Hey, at least the heated shot animations do look pretty cool. Now I just need to train myself to stop looking at them and start looking at the heat gauge. I am forming a dangerously bad habit of overheating when trying to do mechanics.

Just want to say that the Dark Knight job quest conclusion was awesome.

Initially I thought the 60-70 quests were going to suck but they were actually interesting. Dealing with the themes of justice, loss, etc.

If you are a Dark Knight and haven't done your job quests yet, do them.

Last fight is amazing.

scotcheggz

I'm getting better at Samurai at least, I forgot you can boost the Dot and made it a priority to do that and it boosted my DPS by a fair amount, and I also forgot to meld some of my 270 gear which may of hurt me a bit.

OK this might be embarrasing. I'm a 69 SAM and I don't know what you mean by boost the DoT? I may already be doing it, I didn't look up guides or anything because rotations are almost always common sense I thought, but I don't think I'm boosting my DoT.. Or I might be :\ lol

Agree SAM feels like a monster. I dunno if it's just the battle system changes, I haven't played any other classes yet, but SAM just feels like a filthy beast.

OK this might be embarrasing. I'm a 69 SAM and I don't know what you mean by boost the DoT? I may already be doing it, I didn't look up guides or anything because rotations are almost always common sense I thought, but I don't think I'm boosting my DoT.. Or I might be : lol

Agree SAM feels like a monster. I dunno if it's just the battle system changes, I haven't played any other classes yet, but SAM just feels like a filthy beast.

I'm assuming they're referring to using Hissatsu: Kaiten to boost the potency of Higanbana. Should make it preeeetty strong.

Makikou

OK this might be embarrasing. I'm a 69 SAM and I don't know what you mean by boost the DoT? I may already be doing it, I didn't look up guides or anything because rotations are almost always common sense I thought, but I don't think I'm boosting my DoT.. Or I might be :\ lol

0qq0ydt.png

scotcheggz

I'm assuming they're referring to using Hissatsu: Kaiten to boost the potency of Higanbana. Should make it preeeetty strong.

Ahh ok, phew, thats safe.. I'd been using Kaiten. For a second I thought I'd missed a tooltip on a skill which specifically buffed my DoT. That rotation chart looks cool for when I hit 70 though, I didn't look at the 70 skill yet, I assume it's a big hitter eh. Thanks for that!

iammeiam

Hey, at least the heated shot animations do look pretty cool. Now I just need to train myself to stop looking at them and start looking at the heat gauge. I am forming a dangerously bad habit of overheating when trying to do mechanics.

That's me absolutely any time anyone dies from anything.

People could die when I'm at like 60 heat and have ammo loaded up, but noooooope. Gotta wait until I'm at like 85 to go running face first into AOEs.

It'd be less bad without the six year ramp-up to get back to 50 if Stabilizer's on CD, and given how flashy the heated shot animations are it's immediately visually super obvious if you're sub-50 for any length of time.

Realistically I can't fully judge until 70 but I think the core of the job is not terrible, but they should revert the Overheat % nerf and make Stabilizer a 60 second CD. SMN and MCH have bizarrely long-lasting penalties for one bad move compared to everyone else's more lenient stuff. It's not in a terrible spot, just gotta hope tweaks happen before the raid tier and we don't have to sit through a month or two of "Machinist is fine you are all just bads git gud nerds." Expecting people to put in more work to do the worst damage is not going to help with the generally underplayed job problem.

also i swear to god how did they not give us our own piercing debuff they deleted so many skills i have all kinds of space for it

Haly

They did a really good job on the invasion of Ala Mhigo, which is a shock considering how lackluster the invasion of Doma Castle was, which you storm with a handful of farmhands.

They did a really good job on the invasion of Ala Mhigo, which is a shock considering how lackluster the invasion of Doma Castle was, which you storm with a handful of farmhands.

If there's one criticism I have for the story is that
in a whole bunch of scenes they talk of armies fighting or at least a large number of people fighting yet you only see a handful.

The benchmark showed that they can fit a ton of people on screen so I don't know why they didn't carried that over to the MSQ especially since Yoship said they are focusing on increasing the number of assets shown on screen instead of adding more polys/effects/etc.

Haly

If there's one criticism I have for the story is that
in a whole bunch of scenes they talk of armies fighting or at least a large number of people fighting yet you only see a handful.

The benchmark showed that they can fit a ton of people on screen so I don't know why they didn't carried that over to the MSQ especially since Yoship said they are focusing on increasing the number of assets shown on screen instead of adding more polys/effects/etc.
Yeah seriously. At least the first scene I mentioned managed to capture a bit of that "scale", but the latter is laughable. Especially when they round the gate and charge towards their deaths.

KuroNeeko

As much as I love Astrologian (mained it since the end of 3.0) it's really crazy how Earthly star is way too good... only 55 second CD and it leaves you able to dps for a very long time while still using your other skills. I think it honestly feels really easy now to heal and dps especially on Astrologian and without cleric stance penalties. Like, I haven't got to end game yet but earthly star is way too good and it has such a low CD time + no cleric stance removing your mnd is going to make them incredibly potent in Omega... probably even required. AST has like no risk healing now and they have far better dps than ever before. Well, - dots but yeah

Does combat ever get more engaging then Combust → Malefic?

Haly

They should add/change some skills so that they damage when cast on an enemy and heal when cast on an ally. That might alleviate a lot of problems with healer boredom.

AwShucks

Final trial? We might have been in the same party.

If you were with an AST (me) that died like five times on our first pull and then half the party D/C'd on the second, before clearing on the third.

Man what a fight, haha.

Nah just roulette.

Xux

Random amateur music theory question...

What is it about the Ruby Sea and Shisui motif that screams "ocean" to me? Reminds me a lot of the Ocean's Roar Cave theme from Dark Cloud 2. Who decided flute led waltzes fit the ocean so well? Uematsu with Beyond the Deep Blue Sea in FFV?

Realistically I can't fully judge until 70 but I think the core of the job is not terrible, but they should revert the Overheat % nerf and make Stabilizer a 60 second CD. SMN and MCH have bizarrely long-lasting penalties for one bad move compared to everyone else's more lenient stuff.

Even just the 60s Stabilizer would be amazing as far as I'm concerned. As it is now, I'm not sure how well they thought out the Gauss Barrel penalty for overheating. The long buildup back to 50 heat is already a pretty big DPS loss, so making us wait to even start building that heat back seems somewhat antithetical to their goal of raising the skill floor, considering how easy it is to lose track of things. It's also just kind of boring.

Orcastar

They should add/change some skills so that they damage when cast on an enemy and heal when cast on an ally. That might alleviate a lot of problems with healer boredom.

Zombie debuff role skill. Causes target to take damage from healing skills.

Haly

Zombie debuff role skill. Causes target to take damage from healing skills.

Yeah that's thematically good for SCH. Something like "Polarize" so you can start using Physick to deal damage.

Adloquinium applies a negative shield, which amplifies incoming damage up to some set amount.

Zane Farus

Neo Member
So question for 70 SAM's or close to 70 when do you use Hagakure after opener? I use it for the opener but I am unsure when to weave it when it comes back up, should I be using 1 SEN convert, 2, 3?

The way I use Hagakure in opener is pretty much the first opener of this video https://youtu.be/8qCqkgoBkgs

But I have no idea what the most optimal use of Hagakure is after that. I am not 70 yet so maybe I need to be 70 to get a feel of it more besides using in opener.

Razmos

Not really. But expecting engaging DPS on a healing/support monster like AST is probably setting expectations too high.

That being said AST has what it needs to do some damage. It's not terribly exciting but it has a strong spammable single target attack, a DoT with a long duration and a cool looking AoE move.

Stormblood also introduced Earthly Star which is amazing and does AoE damage while also healing anyone caught in it. Short cooldown too as well as looking awesome.

We also got the Lord of Crowns card which you can get by burning a card you don't need. It does more damage than Malefic III and is instant cast. Only downside is that it is random whether you get the Lord or Lady and it's reliant on Draw's cooldown

Arizato

Just want to say that the Dark Knight job quest conclusion was awesome.

Initially I thought the 60-70 quests were going to suck but they were actually interesting. Dealing with the themes of justice, loss, etc.

If you are a Dark Knight and haven't done your job quests yet, do them.

Last fight is amazing.

Did the 65 quest yesterday and it was really good even then. Been playing DRK since HW Early Access and this questline is a real treat so far! Looking forward even more to the conclusion when you say this!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Having a day to mull over the MSQ, I have to hand it to them for a well paced and contained MSQ this time around.

With HW, 3.3 was the ending. 3.0 was more the end of a part of the story.

4.0 feels like a complete story, while still having some hooks for the future, and I like that.

iammeiam

Even just the 60s Stabilizer would be amazing as far as I'm concerned. As it is now, I'm not sure how well they thought out the Gauss Barrel penalty for overheating. The long buildup back to 50 heat is already a pretty big DPS loss, so making us wait to even start building that heat back seems somewhat antithetical to their goal of raising the skill floor, considering how easy it is to lose track of things. It's also just kind of boring.

The 60s would be fantastic QoL, but while they're monkeying around in there I'd like to see them set it up so the mental math mini game had better chance at payout. I do think the GB penalty makes more sense if Overheat's at its initial 20% buff, since that stacked with the 25% of Wildfire scales pretty well, and IIRC the initial theory crafting thought that at 20% you could make a case for Overheating even when Stabilizer was down.

And the buildup is insane--shots with ammo are worthless for buildup, hitting QR costs you 10, and aside from Hot and Spread Shot everything else is just 5 points. So the solution is to just... not use ammo? Except you can't click ammunition off anymore so if you reflex hit QR during a jump you lose the 10 heat that you already have for pushing the button and end up wasting your next GCD @ zero. It's just so weird!

If you are looking for engaging combat... healers might be very limited there. However, AST gets a nuke in the form of lord of the crowns card so that's another damage opportunity to play around with. Don't forget Earthly star does damage! Originally we would have combust 1, combust II, and aero, and then malefic II spam while weaving in aeros. Now, it's more engaging imo.

I've been doing some 18 man stuff trying to finish anima and I'm noticing red mage seems to be at the top of the hate chart every time, above blms even
Red Mage is very bursty. Thanks to Dualcast you do your damage in larger chunks every other GCD. So unless a tanks on the ball it's easier to pull hate off them.

KuroNeeko

Not really. But expecting engaging DPS on a healing/support monster like AST is probably setting expectations too high.

That being said AST has what it needs to do some damage. It's not terribly exciting but it has a strong spammable single target attack, a DoT with a long duration and a cool looking AoE move.

Stormblood also introduced Earthly Star which is amazing and does AoE damage while also healing anyone caught in it. Short cooldown too as well as looking awesome.

We also got the Lord of Crowns card which you can get by burning a card you don't need. It does more damage than Malefic III and is instant cast. Only downside is that it is random whether you get the Lord or Lady and it's reliant on Draw's cooldown

If you are looking for engaging combat... healers might be very limited there. However, AST gets a nuke in the form of lord of the crowns card so that's another damage opportunity to play around with. Don't forget Earthly star does damage! Originally we would have combust 1, combust II, and aero, and then malefic II spam while weaving in aeros. Now, it's more engaging imo.

Thank you for the replies.

I like AST and will keep raising it (mine is 34-ish right now), but won't quit my day job then (Ninja).

CLBridges

Got Bard to level 70 and I really enjoy it. I feel like I'm doing some pretty good damage with the whole kit unlocked. I'm not done with the MSQ yet but I'm in no rush. Still have two weeks before Omega. Next job to level is PLD, then either RDM or BLM.

MikeBison

Question about the Garo gear.

So to get the mounts you need to get a title first.
To get a title you need to equip a full set and a weapon and speak to the priest.

But there's no weapon for SAM.

What do?

Yaska

Question about the Garo gear.

So to get the mounts you need to get a title first.
To get a title you need to equip a full set and a weapon and speak to the priest.

But there's no weapon for SAM.

What do?

Switch to other class, get gear for that class and get title for that class, go to pvp as SAM wearing that class' title.

Top Bottom