• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

IvorB

I've been having a grand time with the expansion so far. I did the first trial yesterday and I have to say that was a great fight. I was expecting a walkover for some reason but he's not really. Took a couple of tries in DF with different groups but finally loaded in with a team that knew what was what and beat it one time.

I really liked the mid-fight transition mechanic
the button mash in case anyone doesn't want to know
in Susano. It was really simple but if simple stuff like that used occasionally gives cool looking moments I think I'm fine with that. I've really enjoyed going into dungeons blind so far and just figuring out the mechanics.

Lol in the time it takes me to do 1 dungeon as a DPS I can do 2 or 3 as a tank. This is insane. The responsibility is not THAT bad wish people weren't spooked at this role.

There are so many advantages to being a tank

- most engaging gameplay
- no queu
- lots of commendations
- people have to put up with you even if you suck, tanks are not expendable

and the story dungeons in the game are really, really easy, most of the time you can get by just freestyling

I do watch a dungeon guide beforehand though.

MogCakes

I wonder who would be targeting the servers and why. Maybe just a troll? Though it costs quite a bit of money to use botnets for DDoS, no?

hamchan

I wonder who would be targeting the servers and why. Maybe just a troll? Though it costs quite a bit of money to use botnets for DDoS, no?

Bethesda just recently launched an mmo expansion I see....

Plus they're rich!

Though seriously it could be anyone.

wamberz1

Alright, think I'm finally getting used to dark knight again.

I think the biggest hurdle for my mind to jump was to start relying way more on siphon strike for mana instead of BP.

Oh, and to stop using DP for solo targets entirely. My mind is still treating it like an oGCD so I hit it by instinct.

At ~lvl60+ish, Frontlines gives like 600-700k xp for a single 10-20 min session. Feast gives about 150-200k xp for a single 5-10 min session. Queue times for Frontlines is almost instant, queue times for Feast is usually longer.

Wow, totally forgot they added xp to PVP. Going to do that today after work, it will really help with the grind since I'm behind most of my FC.

Wow, totally forgot they added xp to PVP. Going to do that today after work, it will really help with the grind since I'm behind most of my FC.

I've been digging Shatter for PvP exp'ing. Doesn't feel as long as Frontlines and I've been getting good exp. Think the last one I got nearly 686k.

There are so many advantages to being a tank

- most engaging gameplay
- no queu
- lots of commendations
- people have to put up with you even if you suck, tanks are not expendable

and the story dungeons in the game are really, really easy, most of the time you can get by just freestyling

I do watch a dungeon guide beforehand though.
See after waiting 30min+ as my DPS class I still haven't finished leveling yet, I've been tempted to try out my old WAR I left off at level 32. I remember it being fun to have a successful dungeon run but I also hadn't had a disaster either.

What's the recommended tank? Is WAR still considered the most fun to play? (I've heard PLD is kinda boring).

studyguy

There are so many advantages to being a tank:

-No queues
-0 wait time in queues
-Instant queues
-auto queues

Really the list could go on forever.

Tanks can be quite fun, but after maining WAR/PLD since 2.0, I'm tired of it. I just want slash things with SAM. I hope I can gind a few kind souls on my FC for the plot dungeons.

Tanks are for losers, play healers, enjoy the same benefits and also get to decide whether people live or die!
What's the recommended tank? Is WAR still considered the most fun to play? (I've heard PLD is kinda boring).
WAR is the most engaging tank but PLD got some really cool shit this expansion. DRK is in a weird spot gameplay wise, but they all seem to be pretty balanced - except PLD, PLD is prob gonna be the meta main tank.

Omni

I'm noticing a trend of tanks just pulling everything in SB dungeons, turning off tank stance mid-pull and expecting the new, under-geared healer to deal with it. Without saying a word.

Why are people in such a rush? Like come on now. Content isn't even a week old yet omg. And I don't know if any other healer has noticed, but some of these mobs hit a lot harder than anything in expert roulettes in HW. More than you'd expect

Just seems silly

studyguy

Yeah with PLD finally settled for me, it's clearly in a good place.
The Requi+Spirt / FoF+Physical combo jump means we're always doing something. It feels much better than prior and weaving in interventions/veils to help teammates or self sustaining with clem if needed, mitigating feels really well rounded for once. My kit feels useful finally.

kromeo

I'm noticing a trend of tanks just pulling everything in SB dungeons, turning off tank stance mid-pull and expecting the new, under-geared healer to deal with it. Without saying a word.

Why are people in such a rush? Like come on now. Content isn't even a week old yet omg. And I don't know if any other healer has noticed, but some of these mobs hit a lot harder than anything in expert roulettes in HW. More than you'd expect

Just seems silly

Every expansion it's all about the mad rush to level cap and then the complaining about lack of content

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Got to level 68 with SMN, and to be honest, as much as I try to convince myself that everything is dandy with this class, it really feels weak in some pretty critical areas.

It's AoE potential has been kneecapped to the point where it seems as if you're better off just hard casting DoTs on every target rather than using Bane. While you have ways to keep your MP up for Ruin 3 outside of Dreadwyrm Trance, it blows my mind that all you're getting is 50 additional potency from Ruin 1 and 2 for literally x10 the MP cost. For the low proc of Ruin 4 sometimes, it is still underwhelming since it's just the old Ruin 3 from mid-HW. Shadow Flare comes across as someone on the team not entirely understanding the tool tip they created, and essentially nerfed it.

Plus, pet actions are still slow, clunky, and unresponsive as fuck (before, you could mash out Contagion and it would be fine because your Tri-D dots were still going and you don't lose much; here, you're pretty much at the mercy of the game because you often have to use Contagion before doing all of your work in DWT. I am also not sure why they got rid of pet healing when moving the pet results in a DPS loss, and I swear these things are taking some big damage. And no Yoshi-P, healing a pet for like 400-500 HP with physick is not viable.

Like... I have been in a pretty constant state of confusion with this class since the Media Tour, but not outright hostility to it. Now... I am still pretty befuddled by the class and I'm not sure how Demi-Bahamut at 70 is going to really change how weak it feels (and I think I read that Demi-Bahamut still goes through the pet potency reduction, so we may just be getting access to two normal Painflares and some weak-ass shockwaves).

The main thing in the back of my mind at this point is "Maybe I should have just leveled BRD first..."

Summoner was my only level 60 class prior to SB, but at this point I don't see myself wanting to play it any time soon. I've been loving Redmage, and I am very curious to see how Bard and Dragoon play once I get them leveled. I've had no drive at all to get past 60 on SMN yet, even though the initial Bahamut reveal had me hyped.

Luigi87

Just seems silly
This happened to me even in an early HW dungeon right after the SB patch, but with the changes to SCH, and me still having Augmented Ironworks armor, I couldn't mitigate and heal quickly enough, that it took two wipes at the dungeon start for a DPS to chime in for smaller pulls, not multiple rooms worth.

suzu

Got to level 68 with SMN, and to be honest, as much as I try to convince myself that everything is dandy with this class, it really feels weak in some pretty critical areas.

It's AoE potential has been kneecapped to the point where it seems as if you're better off just hard casting DoTs on every target rather than using Bane. While you have ways to keep your MP up for Ruin 3 outside of Dreadwyrm Trance, it blows my mind that all you're getting is 50 additional potency from Ruin 1 and 2 for literally x10 the MP cost. For the low proc of Ruin 4 sometimes, it is still underwhelming since it's just the old Ruin 3 from mid-HW. Shadow Flare comes across as someone on the team not entirely understanding the tool tip they created, and essentially nerfed it.

Plus, pet actions are still slow, clunky, and unresponsive as fuck (before, you could mash out Contagion and it would be fine because your Tri-D dots were still going and you don't lose much; here, you're pretty much at the mercy of the game because you often have to use Contagion before doing all of your work in DWT. I am also not sure why they got rid of pet healing when moving the pet results in a DPS loss, and I swear these things are taking some big damage. And no Yoshi-P, healing a pet for like 400-500 HP with physick is not viable.

Like... I have been in a pretty constant state of confusion with this class since the Media Tour, but not outright hostility to it. Now... I am still pretty befuddled by the class and I'm not sure how Demi-Bahamut at 70 is going to really change how weak it feels (and I think I read that Demi-Bahamut still goes through the pet potency reduction, so we may just be getting access to two normal Painflares and some weak-ass shockwaves).

The main thing in the back of my mind at this point is "Maybe I should have just leveled BRD first..."

Same. Down to even the last line. lol

nikos

Are Dragonsong War quests required to start Stormblood content? I'm only on the third Dragonsong quest and would rather not have to do it. :|

studyguy

So last night doing Trials roulette.
We failed Nidhogg
We failed Bismark
We failed Bismark again
We beat Susano after like 3 tries

Without fail I witnessed shit like:
-DPS standing with me taking MT cleaves
-DPS fucking off and not attacking anything
-Healers ignoring a tank
-Healers fucking off and simply not healing
-OT provoking shit off me to cleave the party
-OT not picking up other add
-Everyone dying
-Everyone dying twice
-EVERYONE IS DEAD AGAIN AT 20% BUFF

People are fucking terrible, fullstop.

At least my queues are fast.

Just seems silly
I don't mind having to work the healing out, but too many times I'm getting tanks who do that and then lose aggro.

creid

Frustrating seeing people already done with MSQ when my last few nights as a DPS have been:

Wait 35 min in DF queue > 90k > 5 minute wait to get back in > 35 more min in DF queue > get matched into dungeon w/o a tank > vote abandon > 35 more min in DF queue > DDOS 90k's me again.

Marcel

So last night doing Trials roulette.
We failed Nidhogg
We failed Bismark
We failed Bismark again
We beat Susano after like 3 tries

Without fail I witnessed shit like:
-DPS standing with me taking MT cleaves
-DPS fucking off and not attacking anything
-Healers ignoring a tank
-Healers fucking off and simply not healing
-OT provoking shit off me to cleave the party
-OT not picking up other add
-Everyone dying
-Everyone dying twice
-EVERYONE IS DEAD AGAIN AT 20% BUFF

Jump potion customers, everyone.

Valonquar

After maining DRK throughout all of HW, I never had any trouble holding hate. Not once. I could usually easily pull hate off other tanks as well for that matter.

Running level 70 instances in SB for tomes has been a nightmare. It's less than a week since release and I've already been bombarded by healer after healer insisting on bigger pulls cause their last run was faster with other tanks. I haven't gotten the hang of the wildly depleting/regenerating MP pool and how your emnity AND main defensive buff are shared by the same pool of MP where before you just had the cooldown rotation to deal with. It's super easy to accidentally deplete your MP too far, and either lose hate, or die. 2400 MP is too high IMHO.

Leveling PLD 60 to 70 now to see how it goes, and at 61 I'm already feeling like it's going to be WAY easier to manage.

The person/people responsible for the DDoS attacks can burn in hell. Wasted my evening repeatedly trying to knock out the 41-50 floor in PoTD so I can finally start from 50 and just couldn't make it a single run without my teammates or myself getting kicked. So damn frustrating because it's the one game mode where you get absolutely nothing if you don't finish so literally nothing accomplished other than me knowing what to expect in that floor range. At least I leveled up once from doing the daily roulette first. I won't make this mistake again, next time there's repeated kicks I'll do something else in the game or take a break.

Anyway, is there a special nuance to the floor 50 boss in PotD? I want to avoid repeating that floor range more than once tonight if I can haha

Aeana

Jump potion customers, everyone.
These days, what's the real difference between grinding FATEs/PoTD/PvP vs using a jump potion? Either way you're probably not going to really understand your job very well. And a lot of the complaints here seem to be grounded in "not knowing the fights," and well if you start today then you're not going to know those old fights regardless.

UPDATE: I can log in, but it crashes and kicks me out after about a minute of play. It's like being about to take a sip of a cold beer and then having someone bat it out of your hand.

You've got this month to fix your shit, SE.

I can't imagine the DDOSers will still be at it by the weekend...

These days, what's the real difference between grinding FATEs/PoTD/PvP vs using a jump potion? Either way you're probably not going to really understand your job very well. And a lot of the complaints here seem to be grounded in "not knowing the fights," and well if you start today then you're not going to know those old fights regardless.
Exactly. I had one boosted ninja in Sirensong whose rotation consisted of Kunai > AoE Kunai > Aeolian Edge combo > go out of melee range for Kunai > repeat, but lets not pretend this shit didn't happen before.

Game doesn't teach you shit, if you want to get through the MSQ as an ice mage its doable, jump potions arent making people any worse than they were before.

studyguy

It's more that the gen pop who doesn't actually run content normally and just dicks around is doing stuff again. They're pretty bad though, like exceedingly bad. I can deal for now though. I'd be more annoyed if I didn't have insta queues

Top Bottom