• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

MikeBison

Switch to other class, get gear for that class and get title for that class, go to pvp as SAM wearing that class' title.

Was not the answer I was hoping for. Why would they go to the effort of adding SAM gear (ok I know it's MNK) but not just adding a sword.

Yam's

The event is almost 6 months old, I can understand they didn't spend resources creating special weapons/gears for the new classes.

Speaking of pvp, I cannot believe they won't nerf the xp matches currently give. Getting other jobs through pvp is just too fast. Unless you're playing a tank/healer you don't have any reason to level through dungeons anymore. Fates are a good alternative though and I love that we can xp through them once again.

Elfstruck

The event is almost 6 months old, I can understand they didn't spend resources creating special weapons/gears for the new classes.

Speaking of pvp, I cannot believe they won't nerf the xp matches currently give. Getting other jobs through pvp is just too fast. Unless you're playing a tank/healer you don't have any reason to level through dungeons anymore. Fates are a good alternative though and I love that we can xp through them once again.

Because PvP rewards are crap without the xp. I can only speak from my experience, but as someone who enjoy pvp with limited playtime, this xp reward is a blessing. It's an alternative for people like me to leveling alts without mindless fate grinding.

duckroll

is it all PvP modes that reward a ton of xp or only one or two?

At ~lvl60+ish, Frontlines gives like 600-700k xp for a single 10-20 min session. Feast gives about 150-200k xp for a single 5-10 min session. Queue times for Frontlines is almost instant, queue times for Feast is usually longer.

Zomba13

Shatter works out the best because it's fairly fast and gives a bunch of xp. Feast gives significantly less and can last almost as long as the average shatter game (8v8 into a time-out). But you get xp from every type of pvp now and you can start pvp at lvl 30 on a job so it's pretty cool.

Yam's

Because PvP rewards are crap without the xp. I can only speak from my experience, but as someone who enjoy pvp with limited playtime, this xp reward is a blessing. It's an alternative for people like me to leveling alts without mindless fate grinding.

I'm glad we got an alternative too. But I still think the xp is too much for pvp. The issue being we get people who don't care about winning afking the whole game. If the xp was a bit less, maybe we'd get more people who actually care about pvp and who want an alternative way to xp. In its current state, dps have no reason to do dungeons or fates really.

Have only been playing Frontlines, but I hear Feast is good too. Specially with so many people throwing games away to quickly get their xp.

Zomba13

I'm glad we got an alternative too. But I still think the xp is too much for pvp. The issue being we get people who don't care about winning afking the whole game. If the xp was a bit less, maybe we'd get more people who actually care about pvp and who want an alternative way to xp. In its current state, dps have no reason to do dungeons or fates really.

Have only been playing Frontlines, but I hear Feast is good too. Specially with so many people throwing games away to quickly get their xp.

I feel an easy fix for the xp is to have it a bit less if you lose and a bit more if you win. It'll incentivize people to actually play and win so they get more xp to get their job up faster because they want the big xp not the little one.

duckroll

I totally get the afk problem, but there isn't really a simple solution. I don't think they should nerf xp to encourage players to go play "something else" because let me tell you, before SB launched, Frontlines was DEAD. I could queue for 40 mins and not get a single game. Once you remove the incentive for people who would not otherwise do PVP to consider specifically doing it, you lose a huge PVP population. As someone trying to catch up on the GARO armor stuff for at least one Job class, and hopefully get a mount or two, I'm really glad that they found a way to inject life back into the queues. People who want to afk while doing it are bad, but they just come with the territory.

I feel an easy fix for the xp is to have it a bit less if you lose and a bit more if you win. It'll incentivize people to actually play and win so they get more xp to get their job up faster because they want the big xp not the little one.

I feel Frontlines is too chaotic for this to really matter. Someone who would queue for it just to afk isn't going to care if the payout if a small % more or less. They just don't want to "waste time" playing 15 mins of PVP, but they want the xp. So the real people who get punished in this system will be the players who care, and get matched with a bunch of afk wankers in their alliances. Remember, putting in effort into winning doesn't mean you will win in Frontlines. That would be more applicable to Feast.

Zane Farus

Neo Member
I totally get the afk problem, but there isn't really a simple solution. I don't think they should nerf xp to encourage players to go play "something else" because let me tell you, before SB launched, Frontlines was DEAD. I could queue for 40 mins and not get a single game. Once you remove the incentive for people who would not otherwise do PVP to consider specifically doing it, you lose a huge PVP population. As someone trying to catch up on the GARO armor stuff for at least one Job class, and hopefully get a mount or two, I'm really glad that they found a way to inject life back into the queues. People who want to afk while doing it are bad, but they just come with the territory.

Wait is the GARO event still in? When does it end? I thought it ended before expansion. Maybe I should get in on it still only got a few sets before I took break before expansion.

Yam's

More xp for the winning team in a 72 people game can lead to very frustrating times. And even when playing your best you can still lose because of a bunch of different reasons. I feel this would discourage people more than anything.

Ok that I can understand. Queues on EU (Chaos) were still up even before SB so I never had trouble pvping. I'm glad more people come to pvp, it means we'll get more modes, more gears, I like faster queues etc. All of that is a good thing and I won't argue against that. I mean I woke up at 5am this morning and queues were instant... That was definitely a first :D

However for leveling alts you currently have 3 options. Dungeons, Fates and PVP.

PVP currently gives you a ton of xp. Wolf marks you can use to buy gear for glamour or leveling desynthesis, poetics (and the new tomes if you're 70) and with Garo still running, a chance at 3 different mounts (not counting the achievements ones). Less xp would still be fair as you get other things to compensate that loss and people who only care about leveling as fast as they can would probably go back to the most efficient way of leveling.

Compared to the other 2 options, it's clearly way ahead and I'd be very surprised that they let this continue for long.

Mitark

small update for PC verison

iTDI1nz.jpg

MikeBison

I know, I know. I just never did it at the time because I thought PVP sucked and my time was better spent elsewhere, namely getting through HW.

The XP frontline gives now is a blessing though. Great for levelling SAM and I'm really enjoying it. Definitely playing objective and trying to win. Fuck the AFK'ers.

Tomeru

Played only at launch, and only till lvl40 I think. Is there a 'things I wish I knew' type of guide if I'm gonna hop on in again?

Mendrox

Anyone knows if I can buy the FFXIV Complete Edition (A Realm Reborn, Heavensward and Stormblood) and just register Heavensward and Stormblood if I already have A Realm Reborn for PC?

Baleoce

Oh damn, was that ala mhigan earring really just a preorder item? Seems a bit harsh to those who are buying it at launch to not get that 30% exp bonus for 50 and under, especially after all the job changes. I got it, but some of my friends are (I think understandably) pissed. They don't really follow these kinds of things and tend to not preorder games (tbh nor do I, I just wanted to get on the server early). I had no idea there was an exp bonus on it until I got it in the mail lol

ebil

Trying NIN since it's probably going to be my raid alt, the QoL changes feel really good. PvP Ninja is weird but fun, too. The new combo chain for Shadow Fang will take some time to become muscle memory and I'm so used to looking at my buff icons that I always think I've accidentally dropped Huton.

Oh damn, was that ala mhigan earring really just a preorder item? Seems a bit harsh to those who are buying it at launch to not get that 30% exp bonus for 50 and under, especially after all the job changes. I got it, but some of my friends are (I think understandably) pissed. They don't really follow these kinds of things and tend to not preorder games (tbh nor do I, I just wanted to get on the server early). I had no idea there was an exp bonus on it until I got it in the mail lol

I'm now really sad that I know these exist and missed out on them.

Redhood

This is brand new information. I hope it can be used for crafting and gathering. This + Survival menu should make levelling time almost in half.

Veggy

Most people spam POTD to level up, the earrings don't work in there

It can be unlocked at lvl 17 and will take you all the way to lvl 60

Was able to buy a medium size house in Lavender Beds. Really happy about this as I wasn't even sure I'd be able to get one when Shirogane opened up.

Baleoce

This is brand new information. I hope it can be used for crafting and gathering. This + Survival menu should make levelling time almost in half.

All classes
Lvl.1

Increases EXP earned by 30% when level 50 and below.

Strength +5 Dexterity +5 Vitality +5 Intelligence +5 Mind +5

R0ckman

Lol in the time it takes me to do 1 dungeon as a DPS I can do 2 or 3 as a tank. This is insane. The responsibility is not THAT bad wish people weren't spooked at this role.

Soo i may have screwed myself/glitched out.

Next MSQ is "Confederate Consternation" and I can see Alisaie...but clicking on her does absolutely nothing. I don't even have the quest, its just the next one and she still has the ! icon over her head. Did i miss something?

nvm: logging out and in fixed it

Lol in the time it takes me to do 1 dungeon as a DPS I can do 2 or 3 as a tank. This is insane. The responsibility is not THAT bad wish people weren't spooked at this role.
People are lazy. It is very easy to be a dps and tunnel vision on MAD sick DEEPS and make constant mistakes that won't result in a party wipe than it is to be a tank/healer where your mistakes can easily snowball and get everyone killed and you're responsible for other people staying alive.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Man I got hit with 3 dungeon/trial queues in a row last night while going through 3.X MSQ's. Ended up making less progress than I was expecting
Dungeon before Nidhogg -> Nidhogg -> Xelphatol. I wouldn't be surprised if there's another one right after Xelph at this point.

Urgh, that's shitty because I even looked at the preorder bonuses and the earrings had no stats listed.

I have a feeling it's only going to get worse since both new classes are DPS too.

blar

Neo Member
People are lazy. It is very easy to be a dps and tunnel vision on MAD sick DEEPS and make constant mistakes that won't result in a party wipe than it is to be a tank/healer where your mistakes can easily snowball and get everyone killed and you're responsible for other people staying alive.

This is disingenuous. I'm relatively new to the game (been playing 3 months) and when I started I gravitated to Ninja. Didn't have anything to do with being lazy or afraid to take on a role where mistakes have more consequences; I just thought it looked like fun. I imagine that's the case for a good portion of folks who main DPS. That said, as soon as I got into dungeons and started seeing what a good tank can do, I was convinced to try it out after I max out my NIN.

But you can't just assume that everyone who does DPS is lazy or afraid of responsibility.

MechaX

Got to level 68 with SMN, and to be honest, as much as I try to convince myself that everything is dandy with this class, it really feels weak in some pretty critical areas.

It's AoE potential has been kneecapped to the point where it seems as if you're better off just hard casting DoTs on every target rather than using Bane. While you have ways to keep your MP up for Ruin 3 outside of Dreadwyrm Trance, it blows my mind that all you're getting is 50 additional potency from Ruin 1 and 2 for literally x10 the MP cost. For the low proc of Ruin 4 sometimes, it is still underwhelming since it's just the old Ruin 3 from mid-HW. Shadow Flare comes across as someone on the team not entirely understanding the tool tip they created, and essentially nerfed it.

Plus, pet actions are still slow, clunky, and unresponsive as fuck (before, you could mash out Contagion and it would be fine because your Tri-D dots were still going and you don't lose much; here, you're pretty much at the mercy of the game because you often have to use Contagion before doing all of your work in DWT. I am also not sure why they got rid of pet healing when moving the pet results in a DPS loss, and I swear these things are taking some big damage. And no Yoshi-P, healing a pet for like 400-500 HP with physick is not viable.

Like... I have been in a pretty constant state of confusion with this class since the Media Tour, but not outright hostility to it. Now... I am still pretty befuddled by the class and I'm not sure how Demi-Bahamut at 70 is going to really change how weak it feels (and I think I read that Demi-Bahamut still goes through the pet potency reduction, so we may just be getting access to two normal Painflares and some weak-ass shockwaves).

The main thing in the back of my mind at this point is "Maybe I should have just leveled BRD first..."

Lots of us do not see tanks/healers as fun. Not many are willing to pay for a game to play classes they do not like. We wait longer but at least we are having fun playing classes we like.

UPDATE: I can log in, but it crashes and kicks me out after about a minute of play. It's like being about to take a sip of a cold beer and then having someone bat it out of your hand.

You've got this month to fix your shit, SE.

AXE

I often run into DPS who won't finish mobs, but instead sees it fit to run ahead.

I do love tanking, but sometimes people just make me ponder. About stuff.

Top Bottom