• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Perfect Balance is good as an opener for bosses, for normal trash it's not worth. You can use Form Shift to advance all the way to Coeurl and start with Demolish, giving you one stack of GL right away, which is much better as a start.

Chakras can be built with Meditation say if you have to do mechanics where you can't hit the boss, at 62 you get a trait that gives 1 chakra 50% of the time when you crit and at 70 you get a party buff that gives 1 chakra 30% of the time when someone else uses a weapon skill. You mostly use them on Forbidden Chakra for additional damage, since TP costs are so low now you'll rarely need purification. Before 62 though, it's mostly whatever, you can charge them between packs in dungeons though if you're not doing anything else.

For the rotation, it's a bit simpler than checking the status of every buff/debuff. Basically, Dragon Kick and Twin Snakes go together because they have the same duration and the same positional(flank) and have to be used every other skill rotation(skill rotation of 3 skills for each form). Demolish is used every 3 rotations. Bootshine and True Strike go together since same positional(behind) and are used whenever you're not using DK/TS.

So in short, other than the opener and assuming nothing is up:
Dragon Kick > Twin Snakes > Demolish
Bootshine > True Strike > Snap Punch
Dragon Kick > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch
Bootshine > True Strike > Demolish
Dragon Kick > Twin Snakes > Snap Punch
Bootshine > True Strike > Snap Punch

Then go back to the start. Now if you use Perfect Balance to open, you wouldn't start necessarily in the same spot(if you DK/TS at the end of perfect balance, then you'd start at the Bootshine > True Strike > Demolish part since Demolish would be close to dropping and you have 3stacks GL now and all your cooldowns up at this point)
On top of that you weave in all your oGCDs and your cooldowns as expected, and that's pretty much all of monk stuff. The hardest part of monk isn't the rotation, it's actually not dropping your GL3 stacks due to stupid mechanics.

Thank you very much!

TLS Lex

Susano EX seems EZPZ. The real battle is dealing with Players Disconnecting (Extreme).

The real battle is finding eight people that know when to jump so your entire team doesn't wipe. Casters being selfish with "lemme just finish this cast before I move so you all don't get hit" are the absolute worst for it tbh.

Both the EX primals are easy, but based on the fact that Susano has a near constant mechanic requiring every member to pay attention or the whole group suffers, Lakshmi is a much easier farm IMO. I say this as a person who farmed Susano for the weapon before I even cleared Lakshmi. Farming Lakshmi for all the accessories I needed legitimately took less than half the time it took me to farm Susano for the weapon purely because of the groups.

Groups should be getting a lot better now though with gear etc, I finished farming for BiS on day three in early access and haven't dipped back in to the EX primals since.

Aeana

The main story in Stormblood is by far the leanest MSQ they've ever done. It's remarkably well done. I'm surprised that anyone would call it filler unless they were confusing some of the sidequests with it.

The main story in Stormblood is by far the leanest MSQ they've ever done. It's remarkably well done. I'm surprised that anyone would call it filler unless they were confusing some of the sidequests with it.

I'm not too far into the story - only got up to the level 63 trial - but there have been two places so far where the main story goes "We need to do some mundane chores to win the locals' trust!" and gives you three fairly straightforward quests to do before continuing with the largely linear narrative. That could be considered filler. It's not too bad though, and on the other hand there are some narratively substantial sidequest chains you can follow.

duckroll

I think there's just a lot of meme-worthy stuff, even if it isn't a big deal.

"Gather dung 0/4"

etc.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Are tanks doing str vi materia left side as well with the Ala Mhigan set or are they slipping in some other stuff as well?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
A lot of WHM's I've ran into at 70 seem to be happy overall with where the class is. It's the SCHs who seem the most upset when all's said and done.

wamberz1

Azim Steppe was the best zone in the game.
tenor.gif

I pray we go back there in the patches for some reason. Tons of potential for stories.

scy

So is there any good use for blackest night? Other than saving people who jump into fire?

It's only minorly negative when it generates blood so it's still the best on-demand mitigation skill for what it does (at least compared to, say, Sheltron or Inner Beast); if the timer was wider or if it gave the blood even when it timed out then a lot of the clunk in it would be dealt with.

Are tanks doing str vi materia left side as well with the Ala Mhigan set or are they slipping in some other stuff as well?

If we could meld STR on left side, I'd pentameld that shit no matter the cost.

But, no, we can only do them on VIT accessories since no innate STR. It's part of why the whole still using i270 STR pieces we're allowed access to: They're the best source of damage in the slot and losing the HP isn't the end of the world.

IvorB

God, I hate the Stormblood main story quests I'm tempted to just start skipping them. There's just so much fucking filler.

There is a fair bit of filler. The number of 'go speak to x number of people for x thing' is getting ridiculous. I'm actually enjoying the story but it's a shame they use the MSQ to force-feed people XP because it leads to all the quest padding.

chogidogs

I haven't played any of the expansions, is it still worth it to get the A Relic Reborn weapon? Or am I just gonna get something better soon so I shouldn't bother? I'm still a ways off, i'm in the Amdapor Keep part right now.

Yeah; I'm torn on it from a PLD (Sword Oath swings!) and DRK (Blood Weapon triggers) perspective if only because it seemed neat. Not much testing done yet on Tenacity but it's basically looking like CHit-DHit future for everyone.

This is still true, which may actually make the SSPD auto attack thing a bigger deal for BRDs.

Some guy on reddit said that he has a tenacity/crit heavy build and hits 15k crits with Bloodspiller.

I don't have a link as I read it days ago and the guy didn't provide any details on materia or anything like that.

I like the concept of tenacity as a tank stat so I hope it's something that becomes worth it to invest in if it means more DPS-lite time.

A lot of WHM's I've ran into at 70 seem to be happy overall with where the class is. It's the SCHs who seem the most upset when all's said and done.

Seems like they gutted one of the interesting parts of their kit although they kind of did that to all 3 healers. I see people complain about the simpler damage rotation and apparent nerfing of the fairy. And increased Adloquiem cost.

Reszo

I swear i've done like 3 side quests, with several additional quests within each, about someone being weak and wanting to become stronger.

Bowlie

Banned
I haven't played any of the expansions, is it still worth it to get the A Relic Reborn weapon? Or am I just gonna get something better soon so I shouldn't bother? I'm still a ways off, i'm in the Amdapor Keep part right now.

Not at all, those are extremely tiring to obtain (taking days if not weeks), and you'll get a better one in a few hours as you go through the quests.

Its purpose today is but glamour.

I'll say that I do kind of like using the Blackest Night shield.

I've nailed down the timing, since the shield becomes active part way through the animation when your character swings the sword behind them.

I think they should change the effect to extending Blood Weapon/Blood Price time when broken.

So that way you could stack Delirium and Blackest Night together for Unlimited Dark Arts Works.

Kenai

So I'm going to leave the country for vacation for a bit, but when I get back I think I'm going to jump back into the game with Stormblood. I'm at DRG 45 or so... so I think I'll get to 50 and then decide what job I'll focus on as I'll have everything available at that point.

I'm trying to look, but can't really find it:

What's the playstyle of the Samurai and Red Mage? What do they each focus on/around? Like, I know with Dragoon I'm getting burst damage with some positioning stuff... what do I get with these jobs?

I can't speak too much around SAM since I have barely played it, but RDM has a simple charge system of building up White/Black mana evenly to either unleash enhanced single target attacks (those fancy sword moves from the benchmark trailer) or an enhanced conal AoE when said mana is high enough. Every spell with a cast time they have will proc an instant cast effect when said spell finishes that will work on any of their other spells, so you get the feeling of chaining spells together in rapid succession which is pretty fun, makes them decently mobile too.

IIRC their DPS is a bit lower than the other 2 casters but (in theory anyway) their mobility, fairly simple rotation, and utility make up for it. I really enjoy the class, finishing it before I level SCH/SMN (though I'm 70 AST already)

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
There is an extreme amount of bloat to questing in Stormblood. I can't really remember other eras of XIV well enough to compare but I feel like there is a fundamental misunderstanding of how the gameplay should be paced that plagues general questing. Maybe it's just that the formula feels increasingly dated at this point, or maybe it's related to how rare basic kill quests are. I could never really get into a groove because the game would send me somewhere, have me look for a purple hotzone, and initiate combat with one or two enemies before sending me somewhere else far away. The amount of time spent traveling versus the amount of time engaged with the combat is completely misaligned. It plays especially poorly against major cooldowns and long term builders...there's no real management aspect to them in the questing experience. I would not really call it filler because it isn't as though the quests have no meaning, but the pace they take puts a heavy emphasis on just walking back and forth and it feels very mindless. It becomes even more egregious with the poor travel options and linear choke points in zones that send people back and forth on long loops.

duckroll

I swear i've done like 3 side quests, with several additional quests within each, about someone being weak and wanting to become stronger.

There are two in Azim which are basically "dude feels weak and looked down on, help him discover that the true strength was inside him all along!"

But they were both good!

Squishy3

There is an extreme amount of bloat to questing in Stormblood. I can't really remember other eras of XIV well enough to compare but I feel like there is a fundamental misunderstanding of how the gameplay should be paced that plagues general questing. Maybe it's just that the formula feels increasingly dated at this point, or maybe it's related to how rare basic kill quests are. I could never really get into a groove because the game would send me somewhere, have me look for a purple hotzone, and initiate combat with one or two enemies before sending me somewhere else far away. The amount of time spent traveling versus the amount of time engaged with the combat is completely misaligned. It plays especially poorly against major cooldowns and long term builders...there's no real management aspect to them in the questing experience. I would not really call it filler because it isn't as though the quests have no meaning, but the pace they take puts a heavy emphasis on just walking back and forth and it feels very mindless. It becomes even more egregious with the poor travel options and linear choke points in zones that send people back and forth on long loops.
Nothing in Stormblood is even as close to the worst examples from ARR, which would be the Titan and Garuda questlines. I didn't feel like I was doing "filler" in Stormblood at all, but obviously everyone has different tolerances for stuff.

The two examples would be the ones used from the Azim Steppe (hunting for the sheep and dung gathering ) although the dung gathering provides a good character moment.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
New gathering abilities basically make you more effective at gathering... old items.
Like HQ up which makes 59 and below items 100% HQ.
Not sure who thought this was exciting.

AXE

Regarding storytelling and its presentation I'd have to give FFXIVARR+ a big whopping F.

No matter how you try to look at it the first words that spring to mind are Arduous, Constrained and Extremely Dated. Stiff standing and endless chatbubbles, and neverending running/teleporting.... *sigh*

I had something like 20 MQ left before I thought frack it and threw monies at SE.

Because almost everything else in the game is so, so good.

PvE heaven for this tank.

Rua

Made it to an Ixion fate. All the people there made my game crash..
When I loaded back in it put me in another instance so I missed it :/

At least I know now to turn down some graphics next time.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
New gathering abilities basically make you more effective at gathering... old items.
Like HQ up which makes 59 and below items 100% HQ.
Not sure who thought this was exciting.

It seems they have no idea what to do with gathering/crafting in this game. It's just like, there.

I'm currently stuck on
Shinryu.
Not really stuck but I probably had one of the worst work days of my life and doing that fight isn't conductive to helping that. =P

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
okay...I now I give FFXIV a lot of shit usually. But as someone that played the game non-stop from the beta for 1.0 until HW patch3.2

I can't be anything but interested in coming back.
Would someone be so kind and tell me how the progression to lvl 70 changes the brd?

thank you :)

Hey guys, I know most of you are enjoying SB so no worries if no one is down to do this but I'm trying to start the first of the two level 50 MSQ dungeons in ARR and am wondering if any of you guys would want to help me so I can watch the cut scenes without having pubs just run straight through and kill everything while I'm watching.

I'd prefer to not run the dungeon and watch them later so that the dungeon actually makes sense while I'm doing it. If any of you are interested, my character name is Squal Asf and I'm on the Ultros world. Not sure if you can just send my name an invite or what but I'll keep an eye on this thread just in case if you can't send me something in game.

Thorgal

It seems they have no idea what to do with gathering/crafting in this game. It's just like, there.

I'm currently stuck on
Shinryu
. Not really stuck but I probably had one of the worst work days of my life and doing that fight isn't conductive to helping that. =P

i would Spoiler that stuff .

Top Bottom