• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

wamberz1

Annnnnd that's the story complete!

Gonna put my thoughts into a bigger post later. going for a walk to formulate my thoughts. For now I'll say that while it had its weaknesses, overall I personally think it was better than Heavensward.

In the meantime,
could anyone who has also cleared the content point me towards endgame city? I didn't see Rowena anywhere in the expansion. Or is it just Kagune?

Alo0oy

Banned
Leveling another class without the main story to carry you is taking a really long time. Any tips other than levequests? I'm a level 31 Paladin.

iammeiam

Annnnnd that's the story complete!

Gonna put my thoughts into a bigger post later. going for a walk to formulate my thoughts. For now I'll say that while it had its weaknesses, overall I personally think it was better than Heavensward.

In the meantime,
could anyone who has also cleared the content point me towards endgame city? I didn't see Rowena anywhere in the expansion. Or is it just Kagune?

It's pretty funny. It's
Rhalgr's Reach; tome vendors and primal vendors are behind a long counter. There's another empty counter that I'm assuming raid stuff will go to. Their decision to essentially end the expansion where it started is hilarious in light of what happened.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Leveling another class without the main story to carry you is taking a really long time. Any tips other than levequests? I'm a level 31 Paladin.

POTD in Quarymill
Dungeon Grinding
Levequests (not recommended)
FATEs (not recommended)
PVP (could be worthwhile...?)

Alo0oy

Banned
POTD in Quarymill
Dungeon Grinding
FATEs (not recommended)

I haven't unlocked POTD yet because my previous class was only maxed before Heavensward released. PvP is boring, so all I've been doing is Levequests and FATEs when I come across them.

wamberz1

It's pretty funny. It's
Rhalgr's Reach; tome vendors and primal vendors are behind a long counter. There's another empty counter that I'm assuming raid stuff will go to. Their decision to essentially end the expansion where it started is hilarious in light of what happened.
so
rhalgrs reach is gonna have both people starting the expansion AND people who have beaten it? That place is gonna be packed
!

Aeana

So when you talk to Hien, (music spoiler)
Cyan's theme from FF6
plays. He talks a bit about his father, and then you finally learn that his father's name is
Kaien
. That is, of course, the correct translation of
Cyan's name from FF6

It's interesting to me that they decided to go ahead and go with the correct name and forego the reference for English fans, but I think the music will complete the circuit for a lot of people regardless.

jWILL253

Banned
So, some recent plot developments in the endgame stuff before 3.0...

So, the game's plot has just blown a real opportunity to take a real forward step in mature storytelling. After
beating Leviathan, I met up with Raubahn to deal with the sudden immigrant uprising in Thanalan.
And finding out
Teledji Adeledji was behind the uprisings, and had a hand in making one of the Brass Blades turn traitor and attack the protesting immigrants,
was probably one of the greatest moments in this plot so far.

Due to my overall dislike of Ul'dah and its treatment of the lower class immigrants, I was honestly torn over whether or not to consider
Adeledji
a bad guy. He wants to
liberate the Allagan ruins to develop the land for residential purposes and give immigrants a place to call home, instead of leaving the land in the hands of the three nations to fight fake wars (I know it's just a plot justification for PvP, but still).
Sounds... pretty damn noble to me. When the Ul'dahn brass
turned their noses up at the Domans for no real reason other than "hurr durr immigrants and resources", I expected someone to try and make a move without any consent from the Syndicate in order to help ease the immigrants' plight.
I was waiting for a moment like this: a moment where the events of the plot sit in a true grey area between good & evil; a moment where my actions are in conflict with my personal feelings.

BUT OF COURSE!
Since the Garleans aren't a threat, and the Ascians aren't making themselves known at the moment, the writers had to give Adeledji a Maguffin to search for in his greedy search for more power, and make him evil. Enter "Omega", an ancient device more powerful than Bahamut. Somehow, this device was never used, and no one knows if it even works, and no one even bothered to bring it up until now... but apparently this Lalafell is gonna find it, activate it, and use it for his own gain. Even though nothing that I've seen so far, from the literal TWO scenes he's been a part of in the game, indicates that this dude is evil incarnate. In fact, considering the fact that Adeledji was the one sticking up for the Domans, I get the opposite feeling.

It's such a cheap cop out. Instead of keeping this latest plot development within the realm of believability, the writers cheaply made
Adeledji
into an existential threat out of nowhere. Because reasons.

EDIT: I wasn't aware that pre-HW stuff was still considered spoilery. Oh well.

ebil

So when you talk to Hien, (music spoiler)
Cyan's theme from FF6
plays. He talks a bit about his father, and then you finally learn that his father's name is
Kaien
. That is, of course, the correct translation of
Cyan's name from FF6

It's interesting to me that they decided to go ahead and go with the correct name and forego the reference for English fans, but I think the music will complete the circuit for a lot of people regardless.
Yeah, I liked that bit. Had to explain it to everyone when I realized they were in fact using the correct translation and they went "ooooh".

IvorB

It may change later on, but I don't care for how they regressed with the storyline progression. HW was mostly solid with little filler, and this is backtracked to ARR with a bunch of non-sense put in for no reason.

Yeah MSQ was starting to feel like a chore this evening. I don't recall HW having so much stupid filler. And what winds me up is sometimes it will even divert into two parallel quest chains so double the quests. I just zone out and get through it because it's nice to be in the zones and the cut scenes are good every so often... and I have no choice I guess.

I like the two villains so far though with the lady being the highlight.

IvorB

So, some recent plot developments in the endgame stuff before 3.0...

It's such a cheap cop out. Instead of keeping this latest plot development within the realm of believability, the writers cheaply made Adeledji into an existential threat out of nowhere. Because reasons.

Dunno, maybe you should spoiler tag this for those who haven't reached there.

scy

so
rhalgrs reach is gonna have both people starting the expansion AND people who have beaten it? That place is gonna be packed
!

People
are already begging for it to not be an AFK spot since it's creating a new bottleneck in some places.

Hot on the heels of Please Stop Playing, it's Please Server Transfer:

Post about worlds actually at capacity and having queues due to too many people.

NA list is Balmung, Gilgamesh, Levi. Outside of that, it seems to just be login servers causing bad queue times for NA servers.

EU list is:

■Europe Data Center
Ragnarok
Odin
Cerberus
Moogle
Shiva

Yeah I'm on Odin. The queue times are ridiculous. If I want to get on I need to do it an an hour in advance. Maybe two hours. I really regret cancelling my Arms preorder, that would've been perfect for this lol

Well I managed to get RDM to Lv60 and I'm still torn over what job to use for SB content. If I didn't have such low expectations of the MNK job quest line then I'd probably go MNK. At this rate I'm gonna end up leveling DRK/MNK/RDM all at the same time and clear SB very slowly.
My girlfriend is down for 4 days tomorrow so rip progress

yami4ct

Two dungeons in a row where people lectured me about healing when

A) they had no clue what they were talking about
B) they weren't dying.

Sigh. I love this game most of the time, but sometimes. Sometimes.

yami4ct

Lectured in what way?

First dungeon was people bitching about not being topped off, which, yeah. I was avoiding overheal and literally no one had died once. We wiped on the boss once but that's because it was the Nidhogg dungeon and I missed that I was supposed to heal Estinien, which yes was my bad but had nothing to do with the team healing.

Second was Sastasha hard and that dumb scorpion boss (Which I sort of lied about nobody dying because they died here) where a couple people died to the tail screw because for some reason I couldn't get Esuna to wipe the DOTs and people were trying to tell me using the AOE Heal would somehow have saved people. Not the regen (which might have worked) but the basic heal.

TheChaos0

POTD in Quarymill
Dungeon Grinding
FATEs (not recommended)

PvP gives a good chunk of exp. I've been doing it heavily today, takes about 8 matches per level and matches take 10-15 min to complete. Been doing this today! Need to get back to MSQ now.

duckroll

Maybe we could make this more obvious to people who are new, but while we usually don't have a spoiler policy for direct sequels or story DLC expansions in games, MMOs like FFXIV are unique in the sense that this is the only running thread for the entire game, and new players are being recruited into the game all the time, so there are a bunch of people posting about the game who are at different points of the story. Of course most would be in SB now, but we still have people who are joining from scratch, and some who are finishing up HW or post-HW stuff before SB.

Foxxsoxx

Two dungeons in a row where people lectured me about healing when

A) they had no clue what they were talking about
B) they weren't dying.

Sigh. I love this game most of the time, but sometimes. Sometimes.

Have you ever heard of the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise?... It's not a story the Jedi would tell..

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
PvP gives a good chunk of exp. I've been doing it heavily today, takes about 8 matches per level and matches take 10-15 min to complete. Been doing this today! Need to get back to MSQ now.

He's level 31. I'm not sure how effective it is at those levels.

yami4ct

People certainly seem a lot less patient with people learning dungeon mechanics right now post SB, which I suppose comes with the drastic increase in server pop. Trying to learn AST now and I've got the basics pretty set, but every once in a while I run into a particular dungeon quirk I didn't have to know as a DPS and people are a bit more dickish about it right now.

wamberz1

Oh, and (major spoilers)
the final boss IMMEDIATLY pushing everyone forward and off the edge is probably the biggest troll move in the game, lol. Its like the devs are going YOU MOTHERFUCKERS BETTER COMMUNICATE
!

Kent

I haven't unlocked POTD yet because my previous class was only maxed before Heavensward released. PvP is boring, so all I've been doing is Levequests and FATEs when I come across them.

You're a tank, so run some dungeons - especially now after two new DPS jobs were released, you could queue up for any dungeon you want and get in instantly. Level-appropriate dungeons give pretty concentrated amounts of EXP, and you should probably do your Leveling Roulette on whichever job you're currently trying to level up.

Additionally, don't forget to get your first completion credit on every Guildhest for your job (they give decent chunks of EXP for what little time and effort they take), as well as your Hunting Log for non-expansion jobs.

Palace of the Dead is good and all for EXP, but the problem with it is that it doesn't afford you meaningful practice as how to actually play the job itself.

duckroll

PvP actually beats POTD for EXP now? Huh. Guess that means I have to learn how to do PVP now.

Depends on your level entirely. At 60+, 20 minutes of Frontlines (with almost zero waiting time since everyone is doing it now), nets 600k+ exp. Really good returns. Feast gives about 170k iirc, for shorter play sessions, but it takes a bit longer to pop.

iammeiam

A lot of it depends on when you're posting, TBH (and I think I remember seeing untagged stuff from you prior to this that didn't get pushback? this is why.) A few years in, there tends to be hyper spoiler-sensitive phases when you get a flood of new people (around now, since expansion rush), but as hype fades and we get more into the day-to-day grind and the OT thins out to mostly people who are in it for the long haul, casual discussion gets a lot less spoiler-tag-y.

Basically I sort of assume whenever in Gaming it's time to be super paranoid, vs when in Community it's usually ok to just tag the Big Events and maybe keep in mind if we have any active newbies that might not want to know specifics (right now too many new people to track so TAG EVERYTHING.) Because depending on when you've read the thread, we've definitely had big long discussions of more recent stuff outside of tags.

The section you talk about in particular is going to get interesting pretty fast, because The Bend of Time, Omega, being the SB raid is public knowledge so on some level discussion about it is going to be a thing.

Guess Who

Banned
congrats to all you folks who cleared the msq. i'm trying to sign in for the first time after they raised the raubahn wall and i'm in a 2200 person queue that took 8 minutes to move 100 spots

Luigi87

Well, I'm now ready to finish 3.0 and play through 3.X in a sailor school outfit Scholar, 'cause I needed a change.

Also while I love that combat actions/abilities can be done in gpose, I really wish I could turn some effects off, lol
D5jgu2t.jpg

Guess Who

Banned
Well, I'm now ready to finish 3.0 and play through 3.X in a sailor school outfit Scholar, 'cause I needed a change.

Also while I love that combat actions/abilities can be done in gpose, I really wish I could turn some effects off, lol

i may not be able to do fucking anything else in this game but you bet your ass i got some sick /gpose shots

im trying to level with the main story and its a pain because half the quests use solo instances which is where it crashes lol

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Just tried to log in. Getting an "Unable to obtain character data due to server congestion" error. Then, if I try to log in anyway, it'll get to a "1" queue, and just never let me in.

Edit: Spoke too soon. Let me in after 10 minutes of having a queue of only 1.

Palmer_v1

Just tried to log in. Getting an "Unable to obtain character data due to server congestion" error. Then, if I try to log in anyway, it'll get to a "1" queue, and just never let me in.

Edit: Spoke too soon. Let me in after 10 minutes of having a queue of only 1.

Same. Stuck for like 15 minutes and just now got in.

BlackJace

My journey to SCH Lv60 continues.
I really don't feel like SCHs got hit too bad aside from Bane's nerf (RIP) and Adlo costing way more.

The job feels really streamlined.

Alo0oy

Banned
You're a tank, so run some dungeons - especially now after two new DPS jobs were released, you could queue up for any dungeon you want and get in instantly. Level-appropriate dungeons give pretty concentrated amounts of EXP, and you should probably do your Leveling Roulette on whichever job you're currently trying to level up.

Additionally, don't forget to get your first completion credit on every Guildhest for your job (they give decent chunks of EXP for what little time and effort they take), as well as your Hunting Log for non-expansion jobs.

Palace of the Dead is good and all for EXP, but the problem with it is that it doesn't afford you meaningful practice as how to actually play the job itself.

I've done a few dungeon roulettes, but it keeps putting me on low level dungeons, levequests are the fastest right now, but they're very boring, I keep getting /beckon or /soothe levequests, and I really don't like those. I just want normal "Kill X for a Y amount of times" levequest.

Top Bottom