• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Kent

I've done a few dungeon roulettes, but it keeps putting me on low level dungeons, levequests are the fastest right now, but they're very boring, I keep getting /beckon or /soothe levequests, and I really don't like those. I just want normal "Kill X for a Y amount of times" levequest.

The Leveling Roulette's daily bonus gives you bonus EXP based on level difference between you and the dungeon it selects - so you'll get a larger bonus to make up for the fact that you get less out of the dungeon itself.

However, if you've already gotten your daily reward from it, there's no point in using the roulette again that day - just queue up for the highest-level dungeon to which you have access on your current job. It'll both maximize the EXP rewards from it as well as get you relevant and current gear.

yami4ct

PVP is a metaphor for life. It's crowded, bombastic, confusing, then you die and you don't understand what the point of any of it was.

Yotsuyu strikes me as
nothing but pure evil. She seems to kill for satisfaction and nothing else.
She's alright so far. The Susano fight was honestly pretty disappointing. It was just big damage and get out of aoes D:

Edzi

So is the game plan with red mage to alternate black/white spells until they can use their enhanced sword combo?

duckroll

So is the game plan with red mage to alternate black/white spells until they can use their enhanced sword combo?

Use Jolt (fast cast time) to trigger dualcast, use a white or black spell (or scatter for AOE), combo into the enhanced one if it triggers. If not cast Jolt again and use the alternate one. Repeat or mix things up as you please until either the bar is full or you just feel like doing it, then use Corps-a-corps to rush in instantly, pull off the 3 attack combat, whatever else you want to throw in, use Displacement to backflip, reposition, continue using magic again.

Edzi

Use Jolt (fast cast time) to trigger dualcast, use a white or black spell (or scatter for AOE), combo into the enhanced one if it triggers. If not cast Jolt again and use the alternate one. Repeat or mix things up as you please until either the bar is full or you just feel like doing it, then use Corps-a-corps to rush in instantly, pull off the 3 attack combat, whatever else you want to throw in, use Displacement to backflip, reposition, continue using magic again.

Thanks, was wondering what jolt was for. Gotta say, I love how stylish the basic red mage rotation is.

What's the basic SAM strategy? So far it kinda seems like you can just go ham.

iammeiam

So I had somebody in a party stand next to me while I cast Sleeve Draw/Draw. They can see I used the skill in their log, and that appears to be it.

So not only can people not see what you've drawn on your buff bar, it doesn't even appear to be possible to work around with ACT or something. Since cards are no longer buffs on the caster, the party either has to see the actual drawn card animation, or live in mystery.

Coordinated groups with voice, this is fine, but overall it pushes people towards functioning individually instead of collaboratively since it makes cooperation impractical in DF circumstances.

Also, to the surprise of no one, new WHM skills confirmed as bad as we all thought they did initially, despite the media tour build being old.

Confession works the dumb way, basically making it a bonus tank heal.

If you get random'd into a 2-WHM party, you can't tell which confession stacks are your and which aren't.

WHM is functional, but aside from Thin Air the SB changes are useless.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Speaking of Shinsui of the Violet Tides, here's the
Japanese fairy tale
which explains the whole
"Old" debuff you get from the boss fight boxes
-> link.

yami4ct

Are the server issues remedied?

Somewhat. Instance clogs seem to have gone away. Still getting disconnects here and there and queues can be real bad during peak hours, but it's mostly functional right now it seems.

EDIT:
Just as I say that, Duty Finder dies on Cerb.

Luminaire

Yotsuyu strikes me as
nothing but pure evil. She seems to kill for satisfaction and nothing else.
She's alright so far. The Susano fight was honestly pretty disappointing. It was just big damage and get out of aoes D:

Yotsuyu has her reasons, which you may learn about later on. Even now at level 67, she remains one of my favorite characters amidst all the ones I've met so far. I can see why people may not like her, but I've always liked characters that are (archetype musings, not story spoilers but marked either way)
a bit sadistic, perhaps mad for their own reasons.
Regardless, I've liked every character in this expansion so far. Lyse is one of the best, feels very natural with her speech.

wamberz1

Alright, impression time. (WARNING - FULL BLOWN SPOILERS. CLICK AT YOUR OWN PERIL.)

Lets start off with what I didn't like and go from there, cause I like to end on a positive note.

- My first and biggest gripe with the game is probably the geography and zone desingn. Heavensward had very unique, bright and vivid memorable zones that really offered a lot to the eye and explorer. In stormblood, here are your options - desert, plain, grassy plain and mountains grassy plain. Tons of just flat barren land occupied with mobs, and your color pallet for the most part was grayish green, grayish brown and grey. The exception to this was the ruby sea, but even that let me down as it only had a mere 2 settlements to explore and there was really no reason to look around after that. It feels like they went for quantity over quality here - The zones are certainly large - but all in all it felt like a huge step down from Heavensward. Too many times did i find myself gawking at how washed out everything looked.

The dungeons looked somewhat better, but that varied depending on which dungeon.

- This story was pretty dark, and as such had several moments where people would get mortally wounded. However, and i know this is a dumb complaint, where the hell was all the blood? For Haurchefant and Y'shtola they let the waterworks fly but for Gosetsu and Zenos (who slits his freaking throat only for the camera to pan over and reveal it's totally fine - cue him collapsing) they decided to just have some minor blood spurts and sfx? Maybe it's to retain the T rating, I dunno. In any case, for me it was immersion shattering.

- Gosetsu's death didn't hit me 1/10th as hard as Haurchefant's or Ysayle's. Maybe it would have had more impact if they hadn't telegraphed it so ridiculously hard. Everyone knew it was coming, he knew it was coming, and no one cared. I'm actually glad we got the "he survived!" twist because i didn't have any investment in his death in the first place. I look forward to Gosetsu and Yotsuyu's wacky island adventures. And if my time on the internet has taught me anything, its that if 2 people who hate each other spend time alone and isolated, the internet is gonna ship them like fucking crazy.

- Speaking of people dying, Zenos death pissed me off. There is nothing I hate more than the "Welp, my plan failed, time to kill myself" trope. Fortunately it seems that maybe we'll get some development out of it in the patches.

- It felt like there were way more side quests, though to be fare the expansion as a whole felt longer too.

- It was too formulaic to Heavensward, often times down to the exact story beats. I wish they had tried to be a bit more original.

Some things I did like:

- The dungeons were fantastic, especially from 65 on. It finally felt like they were taking off the kiddie gloves and going "ok, lets see how much AOE's they can handle at once." Tons of new interesting mechanics too. While the highlight has to be the second fight of the 65 dungeon, I really thought the special mechanic for the 2nd boss of the final dungeons was really cool and wished he had used it more than once.

- The trials... felt about par for the course. I wouldn't say they were better than Heavenswards, but rather at right about the same quality level. I honestly thought Shinryu wasn't that great... until the 2nd phase kicked in, and now I'm debating whether I liked him or Thordan more as a fight. Well, Shinryu does have the major advantage of not being a faceroll.

- I absolutely adored everything about the Azim Steppe. It's people, the music, even the landscape(It's just a shame the other zones had such a similar look). All the characters there were fantastic and the Nadamm might be my favorite solo instance. I really, REALLY hope we get to see more of it in the patches.

- I think I said this in an earlier post, but the cast for Stormblood felt stronger than Heavensward's. Everyone had their place in the story and nobody felt like they were forced in out of nowhere. Pretty much every (voiced) character you met got their own little character arc, and time to develop. The main party, though it changed constantly, was generally great. Alisaie is probably the standout character in the expansion, however.

- The music, but what can I say that hasn't already been said.

- Estinien showing up and nuking the cannon for us was hype as hell, but I wished we had a chance to meet. Well, I guess Estinien being the wandering enigmatic badass of the cast from now on is fine with me.

- ACTIVE TIME MANEUVER

- The story itself.... was good, I guess. The main theme seemed to be that a nations heart does not lie with where it is, but rather it's people, which I thought was nice. (yeah I suck at analyzing story shit shaddup) It also felt a lot more complete than heavensward did, which ended on a huge cliffhanger basically. Here it's just... Ala Mhigo is free, Doma is free, hip hip hooray! And now we can focus on internal strife within the random beast tribes/organizations (like the confederation)for the patches. I hope we get to see the wolf guys primal. Fenrir maybe?

Overall, the dungeons and characters really carried stormblood for me; and when I play a JRPG those are the exact 2 elements I look for. I really enjoyed my time and look forward to wiping in Omega.

Quick question, I have a physical copy of FFXIV for PS4, came with ARR and Heavensward. I can get Stormblood on Amazon or Best Buy with the discount, but is there any benefit to buying another disc? Or should I do digital?

duckroll

Quick question, I have a physical copy of FFXIV for PS4, came with ARR and Heavensward. I can get Stormblood on Amazon or Best Buy with the discount, but is there any benefit to buying another disc? Or should I do digital?

Unless you like collecting, or you are getting the expensive CE with the physical goods, or there is a really good discount going, there's zero benefit.

Unless you like collecting, or you are getting the expensive CE with the physical goods, or there is a really good discount going, there's zero benefit.

Ah, figures. I'm guessing the disc is functionally the same as the one I already have. The disc is $8 cheaper but that's really not a huge difference.

B.K.

Started to disconnect, so I just called it for the night. Made pretty good progress. I got from
Raubhan
to
the Confederacy base in the Ruby Sea.

Wow first time on in over a year(probably nearly 2), doing terrible in the dungeon...
and people were actually being helpful.

Have to relearn all my skills because man I have forgotten everything but the basic stuff.

Luigi87

So I went from saying that I was gonna doing 10 MSQ a day on Friday, to doing 50 MSQ in the last two days, and loving every minute of it. I have 57 MSQ until Stormblood, albeit since I'm back to work tomorrow my progression is certainly going to slow down.
And with the server as it is, not gonna try to squeeze in one more tonight.

iammeiam

90k'd inside the FC house, gonna go ahead and guess some instance servers shit the bed. Not surprising given the beating they've probably been taking.

Queue is actually moving, though, so... yay?

Edit: Talking to somebody who took a short-term transfer to JP to cheese Raupin EX, their DF isn't working either.

It's all coming down

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
just a question: to be that far, are you skipping the OCD overload of quests?

To a point. I cleared every single side quest up to, and including Ruby Sea (number of side quests there is just massive). Went pretty well. I lucked out and got past Pipin last night, so I have been a little ahead of the giant wave of people.

But, I am near 67 (did a bunch of frontlines and Fates while the solo instance was crapping out). and the quests in Yanxia are all 64. So I decided only to flag the Aether Current ones there. Save the side quests there for my Bard after I level SMN. I figure I can do more if my SMN falls behind on levels as I continue to progress.

edit:
I would say this if you want the exp for side quests.
Wait until you MSQ clear the zone and can fly. Save you a TON of time and I wish I had done that in Ruby Seas.

duckroll

So I went from saying that I was gonna doing 10 MSQ a day on Friday, to doing 50 MSQ in the last two days, and loving every minute of it. I have 57 MSQ until Stormblood, albeit since I'm back to work tomorrow my progression is certainly going to slow down.
And with the server as it is, not gonna try to squeeze in one more tonight.

Towards the end of HW, I stopped counting quests entirely, and just decided to pace myself at one "arc" a day, storywise. Worked out really well, except for the day where I decided I just HAD to finish 3.4 in a single night and it went on and on and on and I became a zombie the next day. I would recommend splitting that into two nights if you start feeling tired, unless you hit that point on a weekend lol.

SO GOOD though. FF hasn't been this satisfying as a story RPG for a decade! T_T

Cmagus

90k'd inside the FC house, gonna go ahead and guess some instance servers shit the bed. Not surprising given the beating they've probably been taking.

Queue is actually moving, though, so... yay?

Edit: Talking to somebody who took a short-term transfer to JP to cheese Raupin EX, their DF isn't working either.

It's all coming down
Duty finder went down for like 20 min but it shoukd be up now. I just tried for PVP but got error 90006 other than that though its been running fine.

Luigi87

Towards the end of HW, I stopped counting quests entirely, and just decided to pace myself at one "arc" a day, storywise. Worked out really well, except for the day where I decided I just HAD to finish 3.4 in a single night and it went on and on and on and I became a zombie the next day. I would recommend splitting that into two nights if you start feeling tired, unless you hit that point on a weekend lol.

SO GOOD though. FF hasn't been this satisfying as a story RPG for a decade! T_T

I just decided to count how many I had left when I logged off and went "Holy crap, that flew by!"
Heavensward has been a serious treat, and hearing that 3.X and Stormblood are awesome has me seriously hyped up.

And so very true @_@
Only a few more weeks until FFXII HD!

jWILL253

Banned
The Duty Finder died on me. This after I was told I have to wait 27 minutes, AND I have to do a trial to progress in the story.

This weekend has been a shitshow.

Took me three days to get SAM to 60 so I can start SB content, and was trying to do the Duty in Kurogane then the game crashed.

Overall, I'm enjoying SAM. Gotta get better at it though, I've felt like I was being out DPSed by other classes even though I thought I figured out a solid rotation, it's going to take some getting used to. Like I open with getting the slashing debuff first, then the DoT, then the other two combos for the buffs and work on filling up that Kenki gauge while unleashing the charged attack when I can. It's a bit punishing when you flub your combos, similar to NIN when you mess up mudras it feels like.

Maybe I need more Skill Speed? Definitely much slower paced than MNK.

ryseing

Yeah, Duty Finder has been killing me the past few days since I started as a Lancer. Once I got to that late teens trio of dungeons my progress pretty much stopped.

Ah well. I should probably focus on leveling a tank/healer in the downtime. I really like the Rogue storyline though. Bleh. So much to do.

It's only now that I've gotten around to doing the Coils of Bahamut. I was caught off guard when I heard Alphy and Alisae's 2.0 voices again. I prefer Alphinaud's old voice tbh.

I'm going to spend the rest of my current subscription leveling up my monk before getting SB. I started out Dragoon and it made sense to keep it through HW, but now it may be time for a change.

Top Bottom