• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Your best bet at this point is to ignore Steam entirely, and buy a Windows copy from the cheapest place available right now. Steam FFXIV is locked to Steam. So if you stick with that you can only buy expansions from Steam after that. If you see a better deal on GOG or Amazon or whatever, you can't use those keys with your Steam version.

Yes, S-E Accounts are that messed up.

This is what makes me have a hard time coming back to SE's online games even when I want to lol. It's like "if I stop playing its for good because if I try to go back it will be a nightmare just to log in"

Still better than the 11 days.... -shudder- I bet they are still using the old POL system for that too.

@Luminaire that's pretty reassuring. Not quoting your post cause spoilers but i'm glad to see there may be more to her than
just evil and killing. I feel like that trope is way too used in final fantasy games. I'd like to understand why she's such a sadist.
She's a cool character but very very vulgar in what she says. I'd like to understand why and i'm hoping she doesn't become good because x told her she has the strength to become good and stuff.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Wow SMN at 60 (and hey at 50 too) just sucks now. Your abilities suggest 30s cycles but your dots aren't extended to 30s until they upgrade well into sixties so you end up clipping dots all day.

Which is doubly upsetting when you realize RDM has its primary kit at 50 and everything after that just fleshes it out.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Queued up for the first dungeon half an hour ago and still haven't gotten in. I guess the server's just pooped right now. People still getting 90ked too. I thought it would be better by now since the Raubahn bottleneck finally cleared up.

yami4ct

Take a break planning to come back and do my daily HW hunts to get the AST 3.0 Artifact Gear only to return and find all the EU worlds under maintenance.

It's like SE actively wants me to not get anything done in this game.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Okay, I underestimate how crazy RDM gets because Impact is actually a gamechanger. I need to update my UI to keep track of ALL this nonsense.

as a new adventurer is palace of the dead something I should do.....or wait till I clear the story the first time through and level my alt classes with it?
Do the story, and if you ever need to grind levels (which really shouldn’t happen at least until Heavensward) then use PotD. PotD is just too different from normal play, and the game is more fun when you are the correct level for story dungeons than when you are overpowered from excess leveling.

Kuusoge

Enjoying this game, but I hate how dungeons are mandatory for the main story. I'm never going to find a group running Thousand Maws.

It's here!

o0fRqRW.jpg

y95QShz.jpg

O8iIieo.jpg

QiHBSYx.jpg

Si474TR.jpg

L3Yg0pf.jpg

k6EVQPn.jpg

Very nice figure, but I'm confused if there is an ingame reason why it only has 2 swords.

Still don't know if it's worth 200 bucks tho.

Enjoying this game, but I hate how dungeons are mandatory for the main story. I'm never going to find a group running Thousand Maws.

You will, it's just if you play as a DPS class, you should expect 30+mins queues on everything that's not endgame(and still like 20mins in general for endgame other than 24mans which tend to be faster often). As a result it's kinda better to level as a tank/healer the first time around for faster queues, and then level your DPS, but if you only have interest in a single class it doesn't help.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Okay, I underestimate how crazy RDM gets because Impact is actually a gamechanger. I need to update my UI to keep track of ALL this nonsense.

Impact though?

I mean I guess it helps I was planning hotbars long in advance.

chSpuxc.png

Makikou

I miss not being penalized switching stances mid-fight with WAR.
Otherwise I'm kinda OK with the changes but still it feels pretty empty sometimes only having to keep up Maim & Storm's Eye and otherwise just get whatever that resource is and manage your defensive CD's.

Lv 69 didnt make it into 70 by 3 mil exp during the weekend sadly.

Haly

Give us the deets. How does it change things up at higher levels?

Well it just gets pretty hectic. Basically there's a bunch of rules you have to obey.

Part 1:
Open Verstone/Verfire if either are ready and depending on which is mana lower
Open with Impact if Verstone/Verfire aren't up
Open Jolt otherwise

Part 2:
Use Veraero if White mana is lower AND you don't have Verstone ready
Use Verthunder if Black mana is lower AND you don't have Verstone ready

Part 3:
Use Fleche, Contre Sixte, or Acceleration in that priority
Use Lucid Dreaming if mana is at 70% or so
Use Apocatastasis/Addle if tank is about to eat magic damage

And that's to ignore the finisher and weaving stuff in between Riposte/Zwerchauu/Redoublement.

Time to relearn RDM I guess lul.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Anyone got some useful guide on how to play the Dragoon now in 4.0? I'm advancing the story without caring much but of course eventually I'll come to a wall.

Wonderful game btw.

Sarek

I miss not being penalized switching stances mid-fight with WAR.
Otherwise I'm kinda OK with the changes but still it feels pretty empty sometimes only having to keep up Maim & Storm's Eye and otherwise just get whatever that resource is and manage your defensive CD's.

Lv 69 didnt make it into 70 by 3 mil exp during the weekend sadly.

Warrior feels too much like 3.x paladin now. Going try the other jobs, and maybe change my main...

duckroll

What does Impact do that makes it a suitable opener for RDM? I remember look at the guide a while back and thinking Verflare and Verholy would be the ones which add the more high level pressure on one the spot decisions in final rotation.

Anyone got some useful guide on how to play the Dragoon now in 4.0? I'm advancing the story without caring much but of course eventually I'll come to a wall.

Wonderful game btw.

DRG is probably the easiest job to play in the game. I'm not just saying that because I'm playing it and I am the scrubbiest player ever. I dunno how far you are, but early rotation for DRG is basically just hit attacks and do damage. Later when you have actual combos the important things to keep in mind would be:

- Always have Heavy Thrust up, because it buffs all your attacks. If it's going off, after the end of whatever combo you are doing, immediately use Heavy Thrust again.

- Once you have Disembowel, always open attacks to a new enemy with Impulse Drive -> Disembowel. This makes the enemy take more damage to all your piercing attacks.

- Once Disembowel is active, if you have Chaos Thrust, move behind the enemy if able to maximize damage with it as a finisher on that combo. Then Cycle the True Thrust -> Vorpal Thrust -> Full Thrust combo repeatedly until Disembowel and/or Heavy Thrust wears off.

- Use Life Surge before using Full Thrust if available.

- Once you reach the point where you have Blood of the Dragon, activate it just before you use Chaos Thrust in the first opener, then immediately use Wheeling Thrust. This will extend Blood of the Dragon further. At this point if available you should use Geirskogul for extra damage, and let it start a cooldown, unless you are expecting a need for AOE in the fight very shortly, then hold it. Whatever the case, continue with the Full Thrust combo after this, and end with Fang and Claw to continue extending Blood of the Dragon. When Heavy Thrust has run out, use it and then follow up with the Chaos Thrust combo instead since it's about time to refill Disembowel anyway.

- For Wheeling Thrust, you do extra damage from the back. For Fang and Claw you do extra damage from the side. So keep in mind positioning when doing it. Pretty easy if someone is tanking for you. Irrelevant if no one is tanking. In which case maybe just throw up True North to maximize damage since it negates positioning.

- Throughout all of the above, remember to use Jump and Spineshatter Dive between your global cooldown attacks when available. For the opener, wait until Blood of the Dragon is active before using them, since BotD enhances their damage. You might want to save Dragonfire Dive until you need it to AOE adds, or use it anyway for extra damage, depending on the fight.

- When dealing with a lot of enemies you just want to clear with AOE, use Blood of the Dragon + Geirskogul, and the spam Doom Spike -> Sonic Thrust over and over. If you're lower level and this makes no sense to you, just spam Doom Spike. Recover TP with Invigorate.

- If you have Battle Litany always use it to give everyone extra crit. If there are multiple dragoons, and someone else is using Battle Litany, you can ignore this, since it doesn't stack.

- Try to have Blood for Blood up at the points where you are doing the most damage.

- You should probably have a place on your hotbar for Bloodbath, and activate it if you're taking damage and don't have quick heals on the way. It helps mitigate damage quite a bit.

- Leg Sweep is also useful to have as a cooldown skill to go whenever you need to quickly stun an enemy or if you don't have jumps available anyway.

I think that about covers it until lvl64 or so, at which point you should always combo Fang and Claw into Wheeling Thrust or vice versa for the end of any combo set under BotD. Beyond that, I'm not qualified to give any advice because I'm not there yet.

Haly

Jolt gives you Impact. Impact does 270 vs Jolt II's 240, 4 of both manas vs 3 of both manas. It's strictly superior to Jolt, but it's also tied to Jolt so instead of defaulting to Jolt when Verstone/fire are down you alternate between Jolt and Impact.

duckroll

Jolt gives you Impact. Impact does 270 vs Jolt II's 240, 4 of both manas vs 3 of both manas. It's strictly superior to Jolt, but it's also tied to Jolt so instead of defaulting to Jolt when Verstone/fire are down you alternate between Jolt and Impact.

Just to confirm, since my brain is still tuned to how DRG skills work when comboing, RDM spell availability is not negated when using a different spell right? So if you use Jolt and Impact becomes available, you use Verthunder anyway, then if you fail to get Verfire, you use Impact instead of Jolt?

Stuart444

Well it just gets pretty hectic. Basically there's a bunch of rules you have to obey.

Part 1:
Open Verstone/Verfire if either are ready and depending on which is mana lower
Open with Impact if Verstone/Verfire aren't up
Open Jolt otherwise

Part 2:
Use Veraero if White mana is lower AND you don't have Verstone ready
Use Verthunder if Black mana is lower AND you don't have Verstone ready

Part 3:
Use Fleche, Contre Sixte, or Acceleration in that priority
Use Lucid Dreaming if mana is at 70% or so
Use Apocatastasis/Addle if tank is about to eat magic damage

And that's to ignore the finisher and weaving stuff in between Riposte/Zwerchauu/Redoublement.

Time to relearn RDM I guess lul.

I wish there was a way without ACT to know if something was magic or physical dmg :(

Also on RDM (54 currently), if I proc one Verfire/Stone, I use jolt -> acceleration -> proc the one that didn't proc and then VerFire and VerStone one after the other.

Not sure if thats the most efficient, I just like doing it like that XD.

Still RDM is a very fun job and is defo going to be my go-to Caster (which used to be SMN but SMN is now second lol) when I feel like being a magic job.

<3 really fun job

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Just to confirm, since my brain is still tuned to how DRG skills work when comboing, RDM spell availability is not negated when using a different spell right? So if you use Jolt and Impact becomes available, you use Verthunder anyway, then if you fail to get Verfire, you use Impact instead of Jolt?

Procs that let you use Impact, Verstone and Verfire are buffs you receive for 30s (like MNK stances or MCH procs) so you do not lose them by using any other action.

duckroll

Procs that let you use Impact, Verstone and Verfire are buffs you receive for 30s (like MNK stances or MCH procs) so you do not lose them by using any other action.

Gotcha. I don't play MNK, my brain automatically associates the dotted line square animation for procs as a "combo" because I play DRG, and if I use anything else accidentally, I drop the combo. So when I started RDM my brain was trained to immediately follow up any proc with the next skill. Good to know there's lots of flexibility in when to fire off the spells. I assume the sword combo works like the DRG skills right?

Haly

I wish there was a way without ACT to know if something was magic or physical dmg :(

Also on RDM (54 currently), if I proc one Verfire/Stone, I use jolt -> acceleration -> proc the one that didn't proc and then VerFire and VerStone one after the other.

Not sure if thats the most efficient, I just like doing it like that XD.

Still RDM is a very fun job and is defo going to be my go-to Caster (which used to be SMN but SMN is now second lol) when I feel like being a magic job.

<3 really fun job
It's all magic damage I'm pretty sure. The only times RDM does physical is through auto attacks or if you use your combo without enough mana (which you never do).

Right, there are no combos, just priority.

Stuart444

It's all magic damage I'm pretty sure. The only times RDM does physical is through auto attacks or if you use your combo without enough mana (which you never do).

No no, I mean for bosses, so I know when to use Apoca/Addle. Currently I'd just guess it and hope its a magic dmg boss. (though second boss of Sirensong Sea. I suppose they would work if someone messes up and gets lots of magic vuln stacks would work)

Haly

BTW the ACT plugin's been updated so now you can silently throw shade on the RDMs in your party because you might get banned if you were too blunt.

https://github.com/ravahn/FFXIV_ACT_Plugin/blob/master/Releases/FFXIV_ACT_Plugin_Beta_1.5.0.4.zip
No no, I mean for bosses, so I know when to use Apoca/Addle. Currently I'd just guess it and hope its a magic dmg boss. (though second boss of Sirensong Sea. I suppose they would work if someone messes up and gets lots of magic vuln stacks would work)

Oh yeah that's pure guesswork.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Gotcha. I don't play MNK, my brain automatically associates the dotted line square animation for procs as a "combo" because I play DRG, and if I use anything else accidentally, I drop the combo. So when I started RDM my brain was trained to immediately follow up any proc with the next skill. Good to know there's lots of flexibility in when to fire off the spells. I assume the sword combo works like the DRG skills right?

Yeah melee combo just actually works like a DRG combo.
Good part of it is that Corps-a-Corps and Displacement aren't actually a part of that combo so you can use them freely if mechanics call for it.

Haly

When you use Corps-a-corps to dodge AoE, but then you have to run up manually to finisher combo...

Redx508

BTW the ACT plugin's been updated so now you can silently throw shade on the RDMs in your party because you might get banned if you were too blunt.

https://github.com/ravahn/FFXIV_ACT_Plugin/blob/master/Releases/FFXIV_ACT_Plugin_Beta_1.5.0.4.zip

The update is still in beta so somethings are not working yet. when is out of beta ACT will auto update it for you.

Requires network parsing and DX11 only for now.
https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/6i1pdq/act_is_up_and_running_again_for_stormblood/

I wish there was a tank job that flowed as well as Red Mage.

There's something about it that feels different from every other job in the game.

I guess the mana management/dualcast/cure/raise/melee combination.

After I get Dark Knight to 70 I'm probably going to start in on some DPS jobs next.

Don't really see the need to get the other two tanks to 70 and I'm interested in playing more Red Mage/Samurai/Ninja.

Oh yeah the order you learn DRK's new abilities are fucked. Bloodspiller should have been first, then Delirium, then Quietus at 68 because it is worthless without the Enhanced Blackblood trait as the only thing Blood Price is good for now is generating Blackblood which it can't do without the level 66 trait.

Haly

Priority rotations are more fun than 123 combos, who knew? Also because half their oGCDs are under 60 seconds you're basically spamming oGCDs, and that almost makes up for the 2.5s GCD.

Stuart444

Yeah melee combo just actually works like a DRG combo.
Good part of it is that Corps-a-Corps and Displacement aren't actually a part of that combo so you can use them freely if mechanics call for it.

I just can't help but use corps -> 1-2-3 -> displacement. it's too fun.

I just need to stop using it at the start of a boss just because I have 80 - 100 mana. (almost jumped out of a boss room before it closed off. Almost)

Still it's too fun. <3 RDM

duckroll

Priority rotations are more fun than 123 combos, who knew? Also because half their oGCDs are under 60 seconds you're basically spamming oGCDs, and that almost makes up for the 2.5s GCD.

I don't think it's either or. I really like the strict nature of DRG combos, because there are essentially just two of them you swap between, but you can still do interesting stuff inbetween, or drop them entirely for unique situations. Also the positional stuff makes DRGs interesting in terms of having to move around!

But I probably say this because I'm a terrible player who doesn't care about 100% maximizing damage, just doing what I feel is enough and putting effort into not fucking up.

Priority rotations are more fun than 123 combos, who knew? Also because half their oGCDs are under 60 minutes you're basically spamming oGCDs, and that almost makes up for the 2.5s GCD.

I thought it was sort of funny how their single target oGCD is only 25 seconds and it's 420 potency so it hits pretty hard. The AOE one is just 35 seconds IIRC so they both come up often.

Then I look at something like Delirium which is neat to use but it's 120 second cd .

There could be an interesting interplay between spending mana to get Blackblood and spending Blackblood to get mana, but someone decided that would be too much fun and so we have the current Delirium.

Haly

AST Job quest spoiler:

Leveva calls someone a Geomancer. Geomancer coming next expansion maybe?
Caster Tank you heard it here first.

I thought it was sort of funny how their single target oGCD is only 25 seconds and it's 420 potency so it hits pretty hard. The AOE one is just 35 seconds IIRC so they both come up often.

Fleche is so nuts as an oGCD. It is above and beyond anything any other class has to my knowledge. Also makes them the POTD kings, since you're effectively doing your opener burst every room.

duckroll

Fleche is so nuts as an oGCD. It is above and beyond anything any other class has to my knowledge. Also makes them the POTD kings, since you're effectively doing your opener burst every room.

This is to make up for the fact that when you start RDM in PotD at lvl1, the climb to lvl50 is fucking unbearable. Lol.

Haly

Why would I start at level 1........................

Top Bottom