• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

If you had a 1.0 character created before they began preparing for the transfer of data to ARR, then it should technically be there. Also, since you had played 1.0, your 1.0 license works as an ARR one. You'd only have to purchase the expansions.

These answers have been a roller coaster of emotions.

PowerTaxi

Banned
Well, my old college friends set themselves up on Omega. Might be a good time to get a fresh start.

Edit: If it goes wrong, I'll go back in 3 months.

I'm going to bet that there's no way to fix this, but I'll ask anyway just in case:

Ever since the expansion came out and started, I've noticed the HUD (the NPC text and start menu text etc) have shrunk even smaller (I'm on PS4). I had them at a readable level before the expansion. Anyone know if it's possible to change it back to the way it was prior? I know a lot of people complain about the PS4 HUD so I'm going to just assume I'm screwed? Lol.

Thanks guys

Skilletor

I'm going to bet that there's no way to fix this, but I'll ask anyway just in case:

Ever since the expansion came out and started, I've noticed the HUD (the NPC text and start menu text etc) have shrunk even smaller (I'm on PS4). I had them at a readable level before the expansion. Anyone know if it's possible to change it back to the way it was prior? I know a lot of people complain about the PS4 HUD so I'm going to just assume I'm screwed? Lol.

Thanks guys

I forget where, but you can increase the size of the hud by percentages. It might be in options under character customization.

I have mine set to 120%, I think, and it's pretty good.

iammeiam

So pvp gives you experience outside of pvp?
Is that different to how it used to be?

What's the deal with front lines vs wolves den?

How much pvp to get the garo armour?

They changed it; in 4.0 PVP gives roughly enough EXP to get a job a level every 8 frontlines. This makes 60-61 for alt jobs a LOT easier than Heavensward, since the first expansion dungeon comes after you've gained the first level.

Wolve's Den is removed, it's all The Feast now. Feast is faster games but reduced experience.

How many matches for garo gear depends on if you win or not. The answer in general is not a lot; you get 1k marks for winning a frontlines, 750 for second place, and the matches are quick.

Baliis

Wait, wait.

So pvp gives you experience outside of pvp?
Is that different to how it used to be?

What's the deal with front lines vs wolves den?

How much pvp to get the garo armour?

I just used the duty finder the other day and did this 8 v 8 thing and it was a cluster fuck.

Sorry for the stupid questions.

I think they just added exp for pvp, but it's a solid way to level at least at 60+, getting like 600k xp for 10-15 min Frontline matches that are super casual at 61.

No idea how much the Garo armor costs, but if it's the same as the rest of the gear, I was able to get pretty much the full set of the new armor just casually doing Frontline. Get like 750 ish marks a match I think it was? 4k for chest/pants, 2k for glove boots helm, dunno what the weapon is.

Thanks guys

System>System Config>Display It will be under UI Display iirc. However, when I log back in it resets no matter what and I have to redo it. Not sure if anyone else is having the same issue like I am but be prepared to have to do it everytime you log back in. :/

Thanks guys

System config, enable expanded mouse, L1+R3 to enable, activate a message, hover pointer over message, hold R2 I think and you can change it.

Had to do this again after installing SB.

^^also what he said and damn I guess it does reset when you log out lol

kiyomi

Is there a way to add this as a non-Steam game to my library properly? I can try adding the launcher but the game seems to crash if I launch it from within Steam.

MikeBison

They changed it; in 4.0 PVP gives roughly enough EXP to get a job a level every 8 frontlines. This makes 60-61 for alt jobs a LOT easier than Heavensward, since the first expansion dungeon comes after you've gained the first level.

Wolve's Den is removed, it's all The Feast now. Feast is faster games but reduced experience.

How many matches for garo gear depends on if you win or not. The answer in general is not a lot; you get 1k marks for winning a frontlines, 750 for second place, and the matches are quick.

Thanks good sir

MikeBison

Does it matter if I do the 8v8 or the 4v 4?

Also a small tip to everyone :

In case you need to go afk for longer then 30 min and you don't want to get auto logged out of the server and then spend hours waiting in queue to get back in here's a solution :

Talk to one of your retainers and with the retainer menu window open go AFK.

You will not get kicked out

proof : i have currently stood like that for 1:30 hour and i am still logged in .

You can also just talk to any npc, start any craft, do a search on the market board and just leave it there. All 3 of these have worked since day 1. In addition to the old standby of just plugging in a controller and using a rubber band on the joystick.

Probably a jerk move and I don't leave myself logged in anymore but at the beginning of ARR and HW it was crucial.

CLBridges

Left my PS4 on while I went to work because I have to redownload 22 gigs due to a brief power outage. Come back home to 'Unable to download patch files'. On the plus side it did download half but it all feels kinda ridiculous. Just a small vent but I guess it's my payback for being one of those who got through Raubahn and Pipin early lol. Should hopefully be back in a few hours.

Boof

Susano EX down. What a ride so far. Now to farm a weapon and move on to Lachshmi. (I know i misspelled that badly lol)

DarkKyo

Does anyone know the answer to this?

I own the Stormblood license on PC. On PS4 I only have up until the Heavensward license. How much can I actually do if I play on PS4? I read that if your character is in a Stormblood zone you can't log into that character on the system you don't have a Stormblood license for, but is that the only limitation? Can I still, say, play PVP and accrue EXP from 60-70?

Quonny

I cannot believe this is how the game works. I'm floored. Absolutely floored. I have to do one hundred boring ass quests, some of which require full parties. It took me four hours to do seven quests, and some of the later ones are longer and require more parties.

And it's not like they're doing it for integrity's sake. No no, you can spend money to skip that shit.

It's almost scummy enough to make me want to walk away just so they don't get my money, but like I said, I've already invested what would be 2/3 the cost. I should have done more research, but I've never seen this in an MMO.

Mad at myself just as much as I am at this game.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!

I own the Stormblood license on PC. On PS4 I only have up until the Heavensward license. How much can I actually do if I play on PS4? I read that if your character is in a Stormblood zone you can't log into that character on the system you don't have a Stormblood license for, but is that the only limitation? Can I still, say, play PVP and accrue EXP from 60-70?

I can test later if not answered as I have a lvl. 62 SB character logged on Steam, but no SB license on PS4(only HW).

Actually curious as I will eventually buy a SB license on PS4 during an eventual sale, but I now want to know what happens if I log in on PS4.

DarkKyo

I can test later if not answered as I have a lvl. 62 SB character logged on Steam, but no SB license on PS4(only HW).

Actually curious as I will eventually buy a SB license on PS4 during an eventual sale, but I now want to know what happens if I log in on PS4.

Cool, thank you so much!

Brandon F

I cannot believe this is how the game works. I'm floored. Absolutely floored. I have to do one hundred boring ass quests, some of which require full parties. It took me four hours to do seven quests, and some of the later ones are longer and require more parties.

And it's not like they're doing it for integrity's sake. No no, you can spend money to skip that shit.

It's almost scummy enough to make me want to walk away just so they don't get my money, but like I said, I've already invested what would be 2/3 the cost. I should have done more research, but I've never seen this in an MMO.

Heavensward content you are referring to? I mean if you aren't into the narrative through-line, you are still looking at hundreds of boring ass quests and long party queues in SB beyond it regardless.

So what is your intent anyway? What are you trying to achieve that the core content is getting in the way of?

Zomba13

Well they are 2 years worth of story quests added when the players were at the level cap to bridge the story into the expansion. Like you said, you can spend money to skip them now if you don't care about the story and just want to skip them but it's like, the story. Yeah a lot of them aren't great and are just "go here, do this" but at least you don't have months waiting between them to get to the next trial or dungeon or bit of actual gameplay.

I guess I just don't get the rush to skip the story.

EDIT: Wait, this is about the base story? Just the levelling up to 50? I thought this was about the 2.x stuff when they mentioned the "100 quests" thing.

Quonny

Heavensward content you are referring to?

I mean if you aren't into the narrative through-line, you are still looking at hundreds of boring ass quests and long party queues in SB regardless. So what is your intent anyway? What are you trying to achieve that the core content is getting in the way of?

ARR.

I just want to play some of the new classes and run some of the dungeons with my friends. But I can't do that unless I either pay money or spend dozens and dozens of hours doing old content when I was already at the level cap. And these quests are awful. Fetch quests and running old dungeons.

I was expecting a nice sized car repair bill but it turns out it wasn't much at all so I'm happy and in celabration took the plunge and got Stormblood and game time even though I'm like 30 quests away from even seeing Heavensward content. I have a level 51 Paladin but I'm interested in Red Mage.

Is the Ivalice raid out? I love me some FFT/A. I'm on Adamantoise but I don't have anyone to play with now so I'll see about a transfer for now but I'll figure I'll just do some story quests mostly anyways.

Guess Who

Banned

Unless they changed things since 3.0, you cannot earn EXP past level 60 on a platform that doesn't have the expansion even if you own it on another platform.

Dunan

So I'm still trying to get the hang of these new job rules, and am I just imagining things or is there a lot less variety in what each job can do? I mainly played a BLM and SCH, and I can't find a way for my BLM to cast healing magic. Physick was a go-to for me when soloing before. And my SCH used to be able to throw out four or five different forms of debilitating magic and then use Bane to spread the effects to nearby enemies; now I only have one form of Miasma and don't seem to have some of the others.

I actually drank a Hi-Elixir during battle to heal; don't think I've done that since the very early days!

Is this how it's supposed to be or am I just not seeing something?

System>System Config>Display It will be under UI Display iirc. However, when I log back in it resets no matter what and I have to redo it. Not sure if anyone else is having the same issue like I am but be prepared to have to do it everytime you log back in. :/

I set the global UI size to 150% within minutes of playing Stormblood for the first time and have had no problems. Inside of that, there is the default each-element UI zoom which still goes from 60 to 140%, so you can conceivably have UI elements at 210% if you need it. I'm using 150% x 120% for certain important things which contain small print and 150% x 100% for the rest. As someone whose eyesight requires this, I can't put into words how happy I am that they finally made this necessary change. Even 140% wasn't good enough because the weird pixel-to-pixel ratio created eyestrain. In an ideal world there would be 200%, but 150% is OK.

iammeiam

Leveling a DPS now means watching how healers handle dungeons and oh my god why are you casting Stone III on 10 mobs. I'm silent, polite when I speak, and use Refresh whenever seems warranted, but I'm dying inside.

Does it matter if I do the 8v8 or the 4v 4?

I don't know if it matters for exp, but 4v4 is ranked matches. 8v8 should pop more.

Zomba13

So I'm still trying to get the hang of these new job rules, and am I just imagining things or is there a lot less variety in what each job can do? I mainly played a BLM and SCH, and I can't find a way for my BLM to cast healing magic. Physick was a go-to for me when soloing before. And my SCH used to be able to throw out four or five different forms of debilitating magic and then use Bane to spread the effects to nearby enemies; now I only have one form of Miasma and don't seem to have some of the others.

I actually drank a Hi-Elixir during battle to heal; don't think I've done that since the very early days!

Is this how it's supposed to be or am I just not seeing something?

Nope you're not missing anything. They removed the cross-class skills and replaced it with Role Abilities and Magic DPS don't get to cross class cure any more (like Paladin misses out on Protect and Stone Skin).

wamberz1

Leveling a DPS now means watching how healers handle dungeons and oh my god why are you casting Stone III on 10 mobs. I'm silent, polite when I speak, and use Refresh whenever seems warranted, but I'm dying inside.
How are the queue times so far? I leveled a DPS first because I knew they would probably go to shit after people got past the Raubhan wall/SAM and RDM's caught up. If it's still not too bad I made pull an all nighter for machinist.

Dunan

Nope you're not missing anything. They removed the cross-class skills and replaced it with Role Abilities and Magic DPS don't get to cross class cure any more (like Paladin misses out on Protect and Stone Skin).

So instead of mages getting to use abilities from other kinds of mages, etc., they've doubled down on the Three MMO Roles instead? That's a downgrade in my opinion. And how are non-healers supposed to heal themselves in solo quests now? I could never have gotten this far without Physick. As an emergency measure, I put Drain where Physick used to be, but it's not anywhere near as effective.

Brandon F

Cool, thank you so much!

Just tested now.

My character was last in Idyllshire, so I couldn't test what happens if logged into PS4 when sitting in SB zones unfortunately. The game did refuse to allow me to port or fast travel to the new zones anyway(expected). Message in chat popped up saying unable to move to SB content without proper license or whatnot when I made the attempt to teleport.

My character is still playable at 62 in content I owned(ARR/HW), but no xp seemed to be given when attacking lv. 60 enemies in HW zones. Thus you can seemingly only level with a SB license. I assume if I play the character at 70 on PS4(HW only), I can still use my 60+ skills, just not in doing any new content.

Not sure if the game asks to auto-move your character to your home-city or what if you left off in a SB zone. I assume it may do that rather than completely lock you out from logging in, but didn't test.

Also umm...'PS4 Pro 4k mode' kind of sucks. Framerate is atrocious even if the image quality is a bit improved. Not sure its worth it for anyone, even as a 4K TV owner I will stick to 1080 mode easily.

K.Sabot

So I get in line in the queue

go out to a restaraunt, sit in and eat

come back and it's only a couple thousand down from where it was, 1 thousand to go.

Zomba13

So instead of mages getting to use abilities from other kinds of mages, etc., they've doubled down on the Three MMO Roles instead? That's a downgrade in my opinion. And how are non-healers supposed to heal themselves in solo quests now? I could never have gotten this far without Physick. As an emergency measure, I put Drain where Physick used to be, but it's not anywhere near as effective.

Yeah, Magic DPS have drain but it's kind of sucky but BLM is the only Caster without a heal. SMN still has Physick because it's an ACN skill and RDM eventually learns Vercure (though not till like, 52). I guess you just have to use items and Drain now.

I too am disappointed by the doubling down on the three roles too. One of the things I loved most about FFXI was that while there were clear benefits and jobs for every Job, with the subjob system you could lean into different roles and provide more support. Like SMN/WHM could do backup healing/buffing, /DNC gave great utility and was fantastic for soloing etc, in XIV there isn't anything like that.

iammeiam

How are the queue times so far? I leveled a DPS first because I knew they would probably go to shit after people got past the Raubhan wall/SAM and RDM's caught up. If it's still not too bad I made pull an all nighter for machinist.

I have a tank buddy for leveling, so instant. In exchange at some point I'll healer-queue his SAM. But I just asked the SAM in this Sirensong Sea and he said about 30; not great but it could be worse.

Baliis

Yeah, Magic DPS have drain but it's kind of sucky but BLM is the only Caster without a heal. SMN still has Physick because it's an ACN skill and RDM eventually learns Vercure (though not till like, 52). I guess you just have to use items and Drain now.

I too am disappointed by the doubling down on the three roles too. One of the things I loved most about FFXI was that while there were clear benefits and jobs for every Job, with the subjob system you could lean into different roles and provide more support. Like SMN/WHM could do backup healing/buffing, /DNC gave great utility and was fantastic for soloing etc, in XIV there isn't anything like that.

54 for Vercure. Awesome spell though.

I forget where, but you can increase the size of the hud by percentages. It might be in options under character customization.

I have mine set to 120%, I think, and it's pretty good.

System config, enable expanded mouse, L1+R3 to enable, activate a message, hover pointer over message, hold R2 I think and you can change it.

Had to do this again after installing SB.

^^also what he said and damn I guess it does reset when you log out lol

Cheers thanks everyone :) I'll give it a shot when I'm home from worky.

MikeBison

Ok, just realised I never had front lines in my duty because I skipped out the quest. Sorted it and got in for a match. Really good exp for a 10 minute all out war ha.

And the wolf marks are the added bonus.

Definitely seems a decent way to level.

duckroll

ARR.

I just want to play some of the new classes and run some of the dungeons with my friends. But I can't do that unless I either pay money or spend dozens and dozens of hours doing old content when I was already at the level cap. And these quests are awful. Fetch quests and running old dungeons.

Eh. Whole lot of whining over nothing tbh. I think 2.1 to 2.3 is pretty bad, yeah, but they don't really take that long to blaze through. The Primal fights are all fun, the finding hiding children type quests not so much. Once you hit 2.4 it becomes fucking awesome and that's the start of HW anyway. No one should skip 2.4 onwards. Keeper of the Lake is one of the best dungeons in the game, even now!

Lakshmi down.

Female primals have the best themes, and this one is in contention with Equilibrium for my all time favorite.

Susano's theme was really good too, though. They outdid themselves on both.

Top Bottom