• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
For the people playing on ps4 and using a keyboard, can you link me a good one to use on ps4? Looking for a good wireless one to use.

Logitech makes a couple. One expensive(K810), one not(K400).

I've been meaning to grab one of those myself(but yet to test either). The one I use is an old Microsoft Arc which I do like, but the bluetooth interference is terrible and it regularly cuts off typing on me.

KuroNeeko

5.0 FFXIV exclusive job(tank) and Geomancer(healer) confirmed! (Probably not)

Geomancer and/or Dancer was all I wanted in 4.0.... ; . ;

Dark Knight probably won't start feeling decent until you hit level 68 because of their new resource, which requires you to have the level 66 trait in order to actually build it at a decent rate and the level 68 ability (Bloodspiller).

It's like if they made it so Warrior only builds one rage with every attack until they reach level 66. The way things were meted out was dumb imo.

Ideally you want to stay out of Grit as much as possible. Use it when necessary like when pulling something to establish an aggro lead but don't drop it if you're taking so much damage that you're going to die.

After that it's Blood Weapon town.

Blood Price is almost worthless until you get to level 66 because they gutted the mana regain on it so it's pretty much for getting Blood in AOE situations since it will get you a decent amount with the level 66 trait which means you can spam Quietus (level 64 fucking why?).

Unfortunately Dark Knight is going to be sort of boring until you get to almost max level. It wasn't like this before SB but uh someone thought it would be a real great idea to do that in addition to giving DRK their SB abilities in the incorrect order.

Thanks for the breakdown. Sucks I'm only level 31...

All of the classes I want to try are too low level to continue the story in HW, namely AST and BRD.
Plus, I already have a NIN so leveling another DPS, especially in this DPS-heavy meta right now, is really discouraging.

On the "things to do while not healing" front, AST is probably the most boring right now. Card management helps a bit of course, but it has one DoT and one direct damage spell otherwise. And the extra crown of swords or whatever if you happen to get it.

Yeah, this was the biggest turn off for me about AST. It reminded me of leveling Arcanist, but almost worse: Combust → Malefic, Malefic, Malefic (AST) / Dot → Ruin, Ruin, Ruin, Ruin (ACN). Same thing turned me off WHM Aero → Stone, Stone, Stone, Stone. There just isn't enough to do outside of healing. At least with SCH, you could micro your fairy and manage your dots...

I really, really want to like AST. I've been waiting months to play it. The cards are awesome. The setting is awesome. Leveva is awesome. But the moment-to-moment gameplay during combat (when you're not balls-to-the-wall healing) is pretty zzz. Maybe I'm just used to Ninja where stuff is fast and hectic all the time. Maybe that's why I want to try Bard next. Guess I just like (needlessly?) complicated classes.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I wish the 63+
Primals in this game were less throwaway. You just kind of run into them, kill them, and move on.

ebil

Yeeeeah. This lends itself well to tank + healer queue for content and having the massive variable of trash lifespan. Sometimes I'm prepping for longer pulls and other times they end up finding ways to exhaust every cooldown I have. ACT is 'functional' but it suffers on DoT tracking a bit (at least, I keep telling myself this to explain some DPS) but I haven't done much EXDR wise since getting it up and running. A lot of at a glance stuff I have no idea how things are going short of "We've managed to be in this pull for over a minute, send help."
That's me when I have no idea why the other DPS is #4 on the hate list/seemingly not doing any AoE damage and I'm here spamming Scatter forever. I think I'll start crying if I can actually get ACT to work tomorrow.

iammeiam

That's sort of encouraging then. I'm still low enough that my i270 gear carries me through every situation and if the damage does ramp up it might eventually become more interesting. My healer leveling buddy (who is my group's PLD who just switched to AST for Stormblood and has never mained a healer before) literally never had any problem through the leveling dungeons, and we got some pretty suicidal tanks.

I guess I should caveat with "at some point you will have to actually direct heal." Massive pulls never really get unmanageable, but at some point it did start becoming "Tank pulled everything, HP dropping fast, what can I abuse to not have to spend a GCD healing" vs just Gravity Gravity Gravity ED Gravity Gravity Gravity.

As for job gauges... Well RDM's Balance Gauge is pretty necessary, though it also comes with the issue of never knowing the values of your fellow RDM's Mana, leading to me to questioning life when I never see them using their melee combo and dual casting Impact. It's pretty frustrating to never be able to evaluate how everyone is doing anymore, I wonder if that's part of the plan (can't tell them they're bad if you can't see their buffs!).

A lot of jobs moved to the progress bar resource system in SB vs just having stacks before, and this kind of made the meters necessary, but for the most part I don't think there's any situation where moving the preexisting buff pieces out of the status effects bar was an upgrade, I guess? MCH basically has to use the Heat Gauge now, since it's the primary mechanic, but the presence or absence of the Heat Gague is the only way to tell if GB is currently on or off. I'd think a lot of stuff could/should live in both places--RDM mana couldn't live in the buff bar, but hitting a Mana imbalance to the point of penalizing the lower triggering a debuff would be nice. Heat gauge for MCH is mandatory, but a buff representing GB On that swapped to represent being in Overheat would be nice. The Ammo Gauge is also more annoying than buffs--there's no point I'm going to be able to shrink these things to be able to locate them centrally while still being able to make out the information they're supposed to convey. I also just thought to check and none of this stuff seems to show up in my own combat log, either? Like, if they've managed to hide all this stuff from being logged, you can't even go back and look at what you did for personal improvement.

I get the job gauges as a nice thing for new players, but ripping everything out and locating information ONLY in them is kind of a massive downgrade.

That's me when I have no idea why the other DPS is #4 on the hate list/seemingly not doing any AoE damage and I'm here spamming Scatter forever. I think I'll start crying if I can actually get ACT to work tomorrow.

Leveling MCH, get into Sirensong with a Bard. Think "OH MAN! INFINITE TP! JOY!"

Bard proceeds to never use Quick Nock or Tactician.

Need an AOE job gauge of some kind stat.

duckroll

It would also probably be me because I still don't know what the fuck I'm doing lol

Though don't worry, I'm sparing everyone by not doing any dungeons or making any real progress as I've been looking at a training dummy for like two days now.

Dude DRG is soooooo easy to play now. At lvl64 you get Lance Mastery that allows Fang and Claw to combo into Wheeling Thrust or vice versa. It means with any single Blood of the Dragon combo rotation, at the end you recover 20 seconds worth. It takes less than 10 seconds to do a full rotation even if you're being slow. This also means if you activate Blood of the Dragon right before your first Chaos Thrust, and go straight into Wheeling Thrust + Fang and Claw, you max out the 30 second bar immediately. Lol.

Anyone experience this? I keep getting dcd with 90006 error after the cutscene for MSQ
It's Probably a trap

If you're at the point of that quest where it is loading into the instance, and you got disconnected with a 90006 error at that point, it means your session got messed up going into the Solo Duty instance. When this happens, you have to wait 15-30 minutes (usually 30 minutes exactly) for that old session to time out completely before you can try again. If you try before it times out, you'll get 90006 every single time.

wamberz1

How it feels when I'm melee DPS and the dragoon gives me that tether buff
giphy.gif

From what I've read, AST damage stuff becomes a lot less painful once you have minor arcanas. It is super boring and not very good before that, but it seemed to be about the same for SCH too when I leveled mine for a bit. The removal of additional dots makes it boring and the damage is just outright lower because of no more shadowflare every mob and missing 2dots.

On the other hand, it's a lot easier to throw random stuff at mobs while healing. Still doesn't prevent a bunch of healers I've been grouped with to just sit there doing nothing rather than pressing one of their two damage buttons though. WHMs especially are frustrating when they're like spamming cures and vomitting aoe heals everywhere while the tank is oscillates between 99% and 100%hp furiously.

Having a damage chocobo is more or less a must have for questing on a healer in SB.

How do you guys deal with dps queues.

I realize there are some people who only play DPS and yet I played tank purely for the insta queues and hated waiting for 30 minutes at a time.

duckroll

I realize there are some people who only play DPS and yet I played tank purely for the insta queues and hated waiting for 30 minutes at a time.

Find friends who are tanks or healers who are on, get help in queuing for dungeons and story trials. Or for roulettes since it's once a day I let it run in the background while I just play normally.

Wazzy

Banned

I generally get help from FC plus my friend is a healer so ques aren't terrible. Plus if it comes to levelling I'll fate grind while waiting.

Skilletor

Find friends who are tanks or healers who are on, get help in queuing for dungeons and story trials. Or for roulettes since it's once a day I let it run in the background while I just play normally.

This.

I'm playing a Nin and Scholar. Stopped playing SCH to get my NIN up to 60 before stormblood. 30 minute + queues w/o my FC friends.

Playing SCH now. Literally no wait.

Armaros

I mean, minimize is one thing. Looking at the theorycrafting, we'll barely use it at all.

unless threat becomes really tightly threaded, its been powercreeped out.

It no longer has the debuff to upkeep, and the other combo both does more damage and fuels MP for PLD's spells.

I remember the early days of Dungeons when finding a group could be an all day thing and God help you if you wanted to run a dungeon with bad tank loot. I don't even mind the queues really I just fish while I wait or make a glamor.

R0ckman

When the heck is spear fishing unlocked? I'm a 63 fisher and I can swim now. No excuse to withold the feature behind more story quests at this point.

charpunk

I have a second monitor that I use to watch things on Netflix, or I work on crafting.

And the 4th night in a row I am forced to stop playing because of 90K. You would think I would learn to stop using duty finder at night.

Armaros

I do have to say, the class changes for SB shows that they really didnt know what they wanted to do with various jobs in HW (and still look like they have issues in SB) and now are again resetting how things work again with SB.

Lets hope we dont get another reset and they build off of things.

Luigi87

Still finishing up HW due to doing other things (like unlocking Hunts 'cause I neglected that)

omg, the FFV fan in me friggin loved Gubal.

duckroll

Regarding Stormblood story stuff...

(Spoilers up to Ruby Sea area, before you get diving)
When Alphinaud decided to stay behind in Kugane with Tataru I was literally jumping for joy. So sick of him being the default "tag along" character since the 2.x story. Alisaie is a HUGE improvement. She's headstrong, can actually do shit herself, and doesn't whine even when things go bad. Lyse is kinda stupid in how she approaches stuff, but energetic and has a great design.

I'm not really sold on the whole Ninja Turtle thing they have going with the beast tribes this time round though. It's so weird. I do like how it feels really alien so far compared to ARR and HW though. Instead of traditional high fantasy stuff we're getting into weird races like snake people, rat people, fish people, and turtle people. I still don't understand why the Ananta Battlemaiden characters don't have names so far! It's unfair!

A running theme throughout Stormblood so far is that all the major moving pieces seem to be... women. That's a pretty interesting decision in the narrative. You have the daughter of an Ala Mhigan revolutionary in your party, another key character is a ninja princess (?) of Doma, and their direct rivals in the respective regions are violent women of the nationality who betrayed them and joined the empire. It's an interesting dynamic.

I really like Zenos as a villain. So far I think they delivered on the promise YoshiP made that Zenos would be a villain unlike any before in XIV, and that he's someone you can really "hate" as a straight bad guy without sympathizing with him. Badass to the core. His armor design is sick. The Garlean anthem scene was SO GOOD.

<3 Stormblood.

OniBaka

Has glamour been improved? I remember there was an alchemy armour that I wanted glamour but was only limited to alchemy class.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
When the heck is spear fishing unlocked? I'm a 63 fisher and I can swim now. No excuse to withold the feature behind more story quests at this point.
Where you learn to dive.

iammeiam

Has glamour been improved? I remember there was an alchemy armour that I wanted glamour but was only limited to alchemy class.

Glamour is still often job-locked. People defend this as basically "a tank wearing Weaver AF would break my immersion!"

but then bikini catgirls so it's just restrictions to be restrictions. There's a version of the game in, I think, Korea that lets you buy glamour copies of crafter AF to use on other jobs in the cash shop, but no sign of that for NA that I know of.

Elfstruck

If you're at the point of that quest where it is loading into the instance, and you got disconnected with a 90006 error at that point, it means your session got messed up going into the Solo Duty instance. When this happens, you have to wait 15-30 minutes (usually 30 minutes exactly) for that old session to time out completely before you can try again. If you try before it times out, you'll get 90006 every single time.

Ah, I see... I guess I'm having a bad day, since PODT also kicked me out with the 90006 and 90002 error. ;_;

wamberz1

Working on glamour now, and damn the 310 fist weapons look sick! Remind me of Asuras gauntlets in that one transformation he had (out of like 100)
B0Y4asJ.jpg

Now if only that headpiece were dyeable....

Redhood

This worked for me before stormblood so feel free to try. Whenever my game got 9000x error due to bad internet I simply changed the data centre followed by changing back to my own data centre. That always got me in.

B.K.

Glamour is still often job-locked. People defend this as basically "a tank wearing Weaver AF would break my immersion!"

I hate the class restriction on glamour in the game. I really prefer the light armor designs to the heavy armor. I want a tank with mage or bard armor.

Item Box

I hope the 2nd part of the first 8man trial wasn't what they meant by big changes to the battle system

If so then lmao

QTEs in MMOs, really?

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I hope the 2nd part of the first 8man trial wasn't what they meant by big changes to the battle system

If so then lmao

QTEs in MMOs, really?
It's not the first time -
one of the Alexander floors had you press a button at the right time and it was also called an ACTIVE TIME MANEUVER. No mashing though.

Top Bottom