• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Razmos

The new PVP Astrologian gear is fucking awesome, it's all white fox themed with a fox mask that you wear on the side of your head and if you /visor it then it goes on your face like a normal mask.

The gloves have clawed fingers and the starglobe is a great colour and looks awesome.

Not overly keen on the actual robe and pants though
Oh and it's all dyable!

I think there's a black fox version for casters too

Anyone order Stormblood from greenman? Trying to figure out how to activate the full code and not just the pre-order or if they were even sent out tje full codes yet.

Anyone order Stormblood from greenman? Trying to figure out how to activate the full code and not just the pre-order or if they were even sent out tje full codes yet.

Nowhere is sending the real codes until the game actually releases, tomorrow. The early access has a 10days grace period(from the start of it I think, so until next week), meaning you have a week to get your full code to upgrade.

Edit: Or maybe they are, but isn't an issue either way.

Soroc

I bought the digital CE a while back and registered my early access code. On the Mogstation page it shows this.

9Zpwnk4.png

The only code I see on the SE site is the one for the early access. Where do you get the code for Stormblood?

Got through to squenix webchat and they said we should have the code emailed at midnight tongiht.

Customer 19:41:I show early access listed, but it doesn't have the little circle icon under Stormblood CE on mogstation
Agent Eddie 19:42:You'll be emailed the Full Stormblood code midnight tonight, and you'll then be able to enter in the code.
Customer 19:42:Oh OK, is this normal for the launch? I've seen many other people confused like myself
Customer 19:44:and there was no indication of that in the registration information posted today on the lodestone
Agent Eddie 19:44:It's different for each platform, and depending on where they ordered it from, they'll either have the code already(Steam Users), or it will automatically be registered to the account(Ps4 players who purchased from the PSN store)
Agent Eddie 19:45:while others will have the code emailed to them soon.
Customer 19:46:Very weird that the publisher is the one that I'm jumping through hoops for, I purchased directly from square to make it easier. this is a very unfortunate process and should have been communicated on the lodestone. I waited 7 hours in this queue today in order to get that confirmation from you.

Baliis

The new PVP Astrologian gear is fucking awesome, it's all white fox themed with a fox mask that you wear on the side of your head and if you /visor it then it goes on your face like a normal mask.

The gloves have clawed fingers and the starglobe is a great colour and looks awesome.

Not overly keen on the actual robe and pants though
Oh and it's all dyable!

I think there's a black fox version for casters too

Yea it's pretty slick. I'm using it as the glamour for RDM and dyed it red.

Samus4145

Just hit 20 with my Lancer and finished the first dungeon for a MSQ. How many more quests are there before you can start the mount quest?

Just hit 20 with my Lancer and finished the first dungeon for a MSQ. How many more quests are there before you can start the mount quest?
You’re getting somewhat close - you need to play through the quests that have you join a Grand Company, I think there are two Grand Company MSQ before you can start the mount quest.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Got my key from Greenman, so I'm all good to go.

Wasn't expecting these earrings to have an XP boost. That's coo.

Lakshmi was fun. My group could have been more awake and having to solo-heal it was a little hairy, but fun nonetheless. Can't wait for the Extreme version of the fight, because this fight shows considerably more promise than Susano...and I don't even remember what happens in Susano anymore.

I love the
story surrounding Lakshmi's summon. It's suitably poignant and my favourite moment is Alisaie blowing away the subterfuge to confront Lakshmi and the bereaved Ananta mother who summoned her. A brilliant callback to the certain Kobold and Titan from the other patch.

Lakshmi down.

Female primals have the best themes, and this one is in contention with Equilibrium for my all time favorite.

I loved it when a clip of it was datamined, but it's way too short and after so many loops during a fight, it quickly lost its lustre with me and I soon grew a bit sick of it. It also didn't help that my co-healer DCed for most of it and there were a couple of wipes in my attempt because apparently having to click and collect Vril and positioning those cardinal direction AoEs without murdering everyone was somehow a bit incomprehensible to most of the party, so I was there for a bit.

I imagine I'll grow to hate it by the time I'm done with Lakshmi EX, lol. Sophia EX had the benefit of having the FFVI theme to precede the second phase so Equilibrium didn't feel like barely a minute-long song on infinite loop.

scy

It's a level 20 quest and it's shortly after the first Trial, which would be after the third dungeon. If you want like raw number of quests, it's like ~15 or so from Sastasha.

Quick question, I played a bit of FFXIV back in feb, got a Pugilist up to level 32. Naturally I've completed story quests on the way. Now in the midst of all the hype, a friend of mines wants to pick up the big ol all in one pack and I'd like to join him on his story questing. I don't have great memory of what's happened in the story so this is good for me too.

Can I use my Pugilist character, switch his class so that the levels would be equal and join my friend on his story quests? Would it show me all the dialogue and such again or would I have to wait while my friend watches movies and junk? Would it be better just to make a brand new character?

Quick question, I played a bit of FFXIV back in feb, got a Pugilist up to level 32. Naturally I've completed story quests on the way. Now in the midst of all the hype, a friend of mines wants to pick up the big ol all in one pack and I'd like to join him on his story questing. I don't have great memory of what's happened in the story so this is good for me too.

Can I use my Pugilist character, switch his class so that the levels would be equal and join my friend on his story quests? Would it show me all the dialogue and such again or would I have to wait while my friend watches movies and junk? Would it be better just to make a brand new character?

You can certainly switch to another class and level up with him as if from scratch, but you won't be revisiting the earlier story quests, so you may be doing some slight waiting while he views his cutscenes. It shouldn't take long though, as early 2.0 in particular is very light on story and meaningful cutscenes.

If you need to remind yourself of what's happened, you can go into an inn and examine the Unending Journey book to have a quick refresh of the preceding cutscenes though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Can I use my Pugilist character, switch his class so that the levels would be equal and join my friend on his story quests?

You can join him at level 1 yes.

Would it show me all the dialogue and such again or would I have to wait while my friend watches movies and junk? Would it be better just to make a brand new character?
You'd have to wait for some of them, but for dungeon cutscenes they'll play for you too. It might be better to reroll if you really want a fresh start to go along with him.

You can certainly switch to another class and level up with him as if from scratch, but you won't be revisiting the earlier story quests, so you may be doing some slight waiting while he views his cutscenes. It shouldn't take long though, as early 2.0 in particular is very light on story and meaningful cutscenes.

If you need to remind yourself of what's happened, you can go into an inn and examine the Unending Journey book to have a quick refresh of the preceding cutscenes though.

Ah, you can just rewatch em in game? I didn't know that, pretty cool.

You'd have to wait for some of them, but for dungeon cutscenes they'll play for you too. It might be better to reroll if you really want a fresh start to go along with him.

I'm a tiny bit attached to the character and name I picked out, so waiting for some minutes I don't mind. Then I can just switch back to pug when we're near the same level.

Thanks for the help!

Finished the MSQ, damn there were a lot of very cool dungeons/trials on the way. Some not so good but beats HW by a very large margin, a lot had really nice mechanics or just looked awesome. Last one especially was pretty godlike, both in terms of mechanics and how it looked.

I'll be leveling other classes though, Monk is like ok, and judging from ACT assuming it works properly(who knows at this point still beta version), I do good damage, but it still suffers all the same old issues where you drop your GL3 stacks everytime the boss goes into a cutscene attack bullshit and then you have to ramp up again and it's really bad and the aoe is still mostly garbage other than using Perfect Balance spam every 2mins. The class is also virtually the same as in Heavensward, only that you replace Touch of Death dot tracking with pressing Forbidden Chakra whenever it's up instead(and when in 4man it's not very often at all, more so in 8man). Rest is the same or worse(Riddle of Fire is way more annoying to use than Raging Strikes+B4B), which is a bit of a shame.

ebil

I started leveling my AST to start burning my ventures... It felt awful to be honest.

I shouldn't be surprised because I anticipated it, but the removal of Cleric Stance AND half my damage spells makes the whole "there's nothing to heal" issue I have with this game even worse than it already was. The Arcana Gauge feels like a step back to me as you can't as far as I know get rid of your RR anymore, making Undraw necessary pre Minor Arcana. I also miss my mitigation CDs (well... Disable) greatly.

They need to start ramping up damage taken considerably if they want healers to not be boring.

RK9039

Finally was able to play for an hour or two, hopefully these queues get a bit better. Got to the
Kojin bubble place

As im going through heavensward, ive been doing every single side quest i see. Is that something i should be doing? Or just focusing on the MSQ. Im currently lvl 54 in dravania after the ravana fight.

As im going through heavensward, ive been doing every single side quest i see. Is that something i should be doing? Or just focusing on the MSQ. Im currently lvl 54 in dravania after the ravana fight.

You should at least focus on the ones that are blue that have the plus symbol on them since they generally unlock stuff (like optional dungeons, aether currents, etc.)

I'm so happy and about to have a manly cry.

use DF to find dungeons 30 minutes pass for Haukke Manor and nothing happens.....absolutely nothing.

I join party finder looking for a clear.....3 folks join way higher and want to help me legit clear so I get full XP. This has happened nearly every dungeon and it makes me giddy knowing a community is always willing to help folks experience everything.

Huh. I guess I'm not supposed to be doing my Rage of Halone combo anymore? With Royal Authority moving to combo off of Riot Blade, it feels like we're supposed to alternate that and Goring now?

Luigi87

The flavour text for the Bartz minion is the absolute best.

The legend of Bartz and his trusty chocobo steed Boko is known far and wide, their journeys inspiring entire generations to adventure. Though, disagreement as to the appropriate spelling of the carefree youth's name has led to many a hurt butz.

wamberz1

I have a tank buddy for leveling, so instant. In exchange at some point I'll healer-queue his SAM. But I just asked the SAM in this Sirensong Sea and he said about 30; not great but it could be worse.
Thanks, between that and the fact that lvl 70 dungeon DPS queues are already horrible I think I'm going to wait until the new deep dungeon/I find a tank willing to carry me through.

Luminaire

I started leveling my AST to start burning my ventures... It felt awful to be honest.

I shouldn't be surprised because I anticipated it, but the removal of Cleric Stance AND half my damage spells makes the whole "there's nothing to heal" issue I have with this game even worse than it already was. The Arcana Gauge feels like a step back to me as you can't as far as I know get rid of your RR anymore, making Undraw necessary pre Minor Arcana. I also miss my mitigation CDs (well... Disable) greatly.

They need to start ramping up damage taken considerably if they want healers to not be boring.

Regarding cleric stance, you've only effectively lost 5% of your dps capability regarding that skill alone (not total dps from dots that were removed, etc). Damage scales off mind now, so you're not doing non-cleric damage. You did lose the 10% boost however, which is partially made up for by the new cleric. Still a nerf.

As for damage, AST never had a ton of dmg output. While the removal of dots is unfortunately, I've found myself not too upset by the changes when you put everything together in the dungeons. With all the new mechanics and heavy pulls, there's not a ton of time to set up 4 dots. Granted, this will change as dungeons are speedran and farmed.

I've noticed damage taken has been increased, but we're at the start of an expansion with lower gear. Progression overall seems to have a lot more damage going out, along with a lot more on the side of mechanics. We'll see how this continues on post MSQ.

As for the Arcana Gauge, I find it to be a blessing. It's nice to quickly look and see what a card does, instead of having to remember exactly what arrow RR'd into. The Lord and Lady however introduce a bit of RNG that cannot be counted on in an emergency, and likely shouldn't. I'm not sure how far you are in the story, but Earthly Star is lovely and can be used pretty strategically. It's also nice to set it and forget it, knowing it'll pop with a big heal so you can focus on gravity bombing everything.

ebil

Huh. I guess I'm not supposed to be doing my Rage of Halone combo anymore? With Royal Authority moving to combo off of Riot Blade, it feels like we're supposed to alternate that and Goring now?
Minimizing Rage of Halone use has always been a thing. You'll still want to use it just enough to keep hate, because your Royal Authority combo doesn't branch off Savage Blade anymore.

Regarding cleric stance, you've only effectively lost 5% of your dps capability regarding that skill alone (not total dps from dots that were removed, etc). Damage scales off mind now, so you're not doing non-cleric damage. You did lose the 10% boost however, which is partially made up for by the new cleric. Still a nerf.

As for damage, AST never had a ton of dmg output. While the removal of dots is unfortunately, I've found myself not too upset by the changes when you put everything together in the dungeons. With all the new mechanics and heavy pulls, there's not a ton of time to set up 4 dots. Granted, this will change as dungeons are speedran and farmed.

I've noticed damage has been increased, but we're at the start of an expansion with lower gear. Progression overall seems to have a lot more damage going out, along with a lot more on the side of mechanics. We'll see how this continues on post MSQ.

As for the Arcana Gauge, I find it to be a blessing. It's nice to quickly look and see what a card does, instead of having to remember exactly what arrow RR'd into. The Lord and Lady however introduce a bit of RNG that cannot be counted on in an emergency, and likely shouldn't. I'm not sure how far you are in the story, but Earthly Star is lovely and can be used pretty strategically. It's also nice to set it and forget it, knowing it'll pop with a big heal so you can focus on gravity bombing everything.
I don't care about my damage output at all and that wasn't my point when I brought up Cleric. DPSing as a healer is even less engaging than it was, and there isn't enough healing to make up for it.

iammeiam

I feel like most of my complaints about AST aren't actually about AST, at this point, so much as the entire combat reboot. I have yet to find a job where the gauge is preferable to the buffs we had before (I can't quite at-a-glance RR anymore because numbers and a percentage require reading vs just picture representation.) It tentatively looks like anything that lives in the gauge doesn't appear in the combat log for other people, so there's absolutely no way for anyone to tell what's going on. That means even in raid logs you can't see cards, you can't see AF/UI uptime, you can't see if somebody forgot GB for an extended period, etc. If this holds out, RIP using fflogs to compare rotations and optimize. The job gauge is simplification gone too far and feels like something that should have been caught in play testing. But it seems like it's annoying for a lot of jobs, not just AST.

The reduction of DPS skills falls in there too--Combust II, Malefic III and Gravity do not a solid DPS rotation make, but that again seems to be more the Stormblood Combat Revamp than AST specifically. Sleeve Draw, Minor Arcana, and Earthly Star add more fidgety stuff to do between GCDs eventually, but the solo experience is pretty dreadful.

That said I'm not sure how far you are but in the short term there should be more inbound damage shortly if you're mostly healing random tanks. DEF/MDEF scaling in SB is pretty insane--i130 tank at 50 to i270 tank at 60 was like 900 def bumped to 2,290. i300 tank at 70 is over 4600 (dumb thing I said removed), so under geared tanks while leveling should start getting hit pretty hard once you hit dungeons with gear expectations over 270. It's not going to be sustainable, but at the moment the EXDR dungeons have some trash mobs that can hit an i300 tank for over 20k in a single attack (even when stacking Tenacity for mystery defense bonus) so at least there's that to look forward to. Makes using Lady and Earthly Star to actually heal at least a little more entertaining.

I think AST made out best of the healers in terms of actual new skills, but WHM probably ended up in the most interesting place for solo healer DPS in large part because of what they already had.

duckroll

I just wanna say, if you ever see a DRG who is lvl64 or above lose Blood of the Dragon during a boss battle, report for afk, because that's probably the only way to lose it. Lolololololol.

I just wanna say, if you ever see a DRG who is lvl64 or above lose Blood of the Dragon during a boss battle, report for afk, because that's probably the only way to lose it. Lolololololol.

It would also probably be me because I still don't know what the fuck I'm doing lol

Though don't worry, I'm sparing everyone by not doing any dungeons or making any real progress as I've been looking at a training dummy for like two days now.

Matchew

For the people playing on ps4 and using a keyboard, can you link me a good one to use on ps4? Looking for a good wireless one to use.

Minimizing Rage of Halone use has always been a thing. You'll still want to use it just enough to keep hate, because your Royal Authority combo doesn't branch off Savage Blade anymore.

I mean, minimize is one thing. Looking at the theorycrafting, we'll barely use it at all.

ebil

I feel like most of my complaints about AST aren't actually about AST, at this point, so much as the entire combat reboot. I have yet to find a job where the gauge is preferable to the buffs we had before (I can't quite at-a-glance RR anymore because numbers and a percentage require reading vs just picture representation.) It tentatively looks like anything that lives in the gauge doesn't appear in the combat log for other people, so there's absolutely no way for anyone to tell what's going on. That means even in raid logs you can't see cards, you can't see AF/UI uptime, you can't see if somebody forgot GB for an extended period, etc. If this holds out, RIP using fflogs to compare rotations and optimize. The job gauge is simplification gone too far and feels like something that should have been caught in play testing. But it seems like it's annoying for a lot of jobs, not just AST.

The reduction of DPS skills falls in there too--Combust II, Malefic III and Gravity do not a solid DPS rotation make, but that again seems to be more the Stormblood Combat Revamp than AST specifically. Sleeve Draw, Minor Arcana, and Earthly Star add more fidgety stuff to do between GCDs eventually, but the solo experience is pretty dreadful.

That said I'm not sure how far you are but in the short term there should be more inbound damage shortly if you're mostly healing random tanks. DEF/MDEF scaling in SB is pretty insane--i130 tank at 50 to i270 tank at 60 was like 900 def bumped to 2,290. i300 tank at 70 is over 4600 if they're stacking Tenacity, so under geared tanks while leveling should start getting hit pretty hard once you hit dungeons with gear expectations over 270. It's not going to be sustainable, but at the moment the EXDR dungeons have some trash mobs that can hit an i300 tank for over 20k in a single attack so at least there's that to look forward to. Makes using Lady and Earthly Star to actually heal at least a little more entertaining.

I think AST made out best of the healers in terms of actual new skills, but WHM probably ended up in the most interesting place for solo healer DPS in large part because of what they already had.
That's sort of encouraging then. I'm still low enough that my i270 gear carries me through every situation and if the damage does ramp up it might eventually become more interesting. My healer leveling buddy (who is my group's PLD who just switched to AST for Stormblood and has never mained a healer before) literally never had any problem through the leveling dungeons, and we got some pretty suicidal tanks.

As for job gauges... Well RDM's Balance Gauge is pretty necessary, though it also comes with the issue of never knowing the values of your fellow RDM's Mana, leading to me to questioning life when I never see them using their melee combo and dual casting Impact. It's pretty frustrating to never be able to evaluate how everyone is doing anymore, I wonder if that's part of the plan (can't tell them they're bad if you can't see their buffs!).

scy

I mean, minimize is one thing. Looking at the theorycrafting, we'll barely use it at all.

You didn't use it before so I'd say not much has changed in that regard? Like, are we talking raids? Usually would mean Warrior pull so no Halone there and you'd usually tank swap through RA's Savage Blade (or just a Ninja anyway) if we're getting super into the details anyway.

Ideally though, yeah, you'll try to make it into a zero use situation.

As for job gauges... Well RDM's Balance Gauge is pretty necessary, though it also comes with the issue of never knowing the values of your fellow RDM's Mana, leading to me to questioning life when I never see them using their melee combo and dual casting Impact. It's pretty frustrating to never be able to evaluate how everyone is doing anymore, I wonder if that's part of the plan (can't tell them they're bad if you can't see their buffs!).

Yeeeeah. This lends itself well to tank + healer queue for content and having the massive variable of trash lifespan. Sometimes I'm prepping for longer pulls and other times they end up finding ways to exhaust every cooldown I have. ACT is 'functional' but it suffers on DoT tracking a bit (at least, I keep telling myself this to explain some DPS) but I haven't done much EXDR wise since getting it up and running. A lot of at a glance stuff I have no idea how things are going short of "We've managed to be in this pull for over a minute, send help."

Top Bottom