• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Aeana

They do a really good job making you hate
Yotsuyu. I can't wait to kill her.

It's funny you say that, since
unlike most of the villains, they try to present a sympathetic side. Her life was absolutely terrible, and she was taken advantage of in every way possible, to the point where she hated everyone

But I know it doesn't take much for people to hate female villains.

duckroll

unlike most of the villains, they try to present a sympathetic side. Her life was absolutely terrible, and she was taken advantage of in every way possible, to the point where she hated everyone

But isn't that the backstory to every villain in FFXIV? It sure feels that way. Which is why YoshiP had to specifically say that Zenos would be refreshing as a "real" villain this time.

Aeana

But isn't that the backstory to every villain in FFXIV? It sure feels that way. Which is why YoshiP had to specifically say that Zenos would be refreshing as a "real" villain this time.

Maybe in some ways, but I thought this one was particularly dark.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I don't really understand
Yotsuyu

Her dialogue is good and acting is good but her backstory is whuh? Her family was abusive and exploitative, and they were Doman, so she takes it out on all Domans? I thought she was like from a minority tribe or something, some kind of indigene that's been oppressed by the Domans like, say, the Uyghur or Ainu. That would've made more sense to me.

duckroll

Maybe in some ways, but I thought this one was particularly dark.

I haven't gotten far enough to tell yet. It'll be interesting to see how dark they go. There's this current of meanspiritedness in the backstories of XIV which I've always found fascinating. Also, I dunno if other players pick up on stuff like this, but I feel that even for non-major story NPCs in towns and so on, the narrative doesn't shy away from sexual violence being a thing that happens to almost all female characters caught in situations of war. It's often mentioned offhandedly in such a casual way that it really nails the tone. I found this really surprising for a FF game.

B.K.

But she's completely evil. From what I've seen so far, she doesn't have any redeeming qualities like Ysayle had. She's almost comic book evil.

R0ckman

Yotsuyu

Her dialogue is good and acting is good but her backstory is whuh? Her family was abusive and exploitative, and they were Doman, so she takes it out on all Domans? I thought she was like from a minority tribe or something, some kind of indigene that's been oppressed by the Domans like, say, the Uyghur or Ainu. That would've made more sense to me.

This is why I cant sympathize with her. Terrible character.

Slater

Banned
Fordola is the actual sympathetic female villain.
Yosetsu is typical Japanese last minute backstory to attempt to make you sympathize with the comically evil

Most people probably haven't seen this, but Kugane's visual design reminds me of the anime film Fuse. It's the colors mostly - both Fuse's Edo and Kugane use very bright, bold, garish colors that can overwhelm the senses.

R0ckman

So release date is making this worse, just got booted to meet a 2000 queue, insane for it being so late. Thank god I'm just fishing.

Did the servers just explode? Randomly lost connection and now I'm geting data center errors.
Edit: oh right it's technically release date now. That probably explains it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I guess I lucked out on the server timing because I had just finished Sirensong Sea moments before everything blew up.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Did anyone get their full code from the SE European store?
I expected those to go out at midnight GMT, but I guess I was wrong, still only the preorder one in my order details.

Kyzer

Banned
Switched from BRD/WAR to BRD/PLD with a jump potion, gonna probably level up AST as well. Got past raubahn yesterday morning and for some reason am now just hooked on leveling mining instead of continuing MSQ

iammeiam

Managed to get in one dungeon @ level 64 MCH before the servers imploded. Still not sure what to make of the heat system, but at least the heated shot animations are nice and heated shots finally make me care about the gauge itself.

Whoever decided to have those only show up like halfway through leveling in SB should be sat in a corner to think about what they've done.

Do you need to finish the MSQ to get the last class quest?

Nope; you're actually expected to finish your last job quest before doing the last main story dungeon.

Luminaire

Yotsuyu

**Yotsuyu Complete Spoiler Stuff** -
You learn a bit about her backstory without her spilling her guts through that echo flashback. You see that her "parents" hated her and ignored her, you saw that she was tossed aside and treated like an outsider. She barely felt Doman, as she wasn't even good enough to serve the imperials as one. She also lost her mother at a young age, as she was under her aunts care who wanted nothing to do with her. We don't know how she lost her mother, but it may have played a part in her tragedy.

When she spills her guts about being beaten, abused, and sold - all by her very own Doman people, she began to despise them, feel like she wasn't one of them, not worthy of their gaze. Her upbringing was broken, she had nothing and therefore could feel nothing but negativity. She was full of hate, and the only way she felt anything was seeing people suffer, especially those who she believes wronged her because of their blood. Her spilling her guts at the last moment is her playing her part as the tragic villain, and she knows how cliche it is, but also buying herself some time to get one last one-up over you. She is evil, tragically evil. Even her shooting Gosetsu as he tried to save anyone was just enough to cement her in as this broken, lost cause of a woman. She had nothing, knew nothing other than pain and making people suffer. At the end, she starts to cry and you see that there was some human beneath all that hatred. Still, it wasn't enough and it was far too late, and she died being crushed under a castle she brought down on herself.

Reasons why she's one of my favorite characters - I have a real soft spot for tragic villains, especially ones who go off the deep end and have some clear psychological issue due to events that seem rather realistic. With her having all the ingredients to be a horrific villain, it's typically a recipe for faceplams, groans, and disaster. However, I think she was very well acted thanks to her voice actress, and well written. She was deliciously evil, her voice cracked and changed as emotion ran through her, as if she wasn't exactly sure how to feel or act when she wasn't hurting people. She makes you hate her, want to punch her face in and kill her in the most brutal way possible just to get back at her. She didn't want to take over the world or destroy it. She wanted her tower, she wanted her power over people and control, she wanted to continue ruling and hurting people as a means to get off, to feel anything. In the end, she got exactly what she deserved. I enjoyed her ending and how she was forced to come to terms with her own death seconds before it happened, as if she'd never considered it while making people kill themselves or others. I'm just glad there was no forgiveness, no sudden "I'm good now!", no redemption for her. She was a villain with her own reasons, as misguided and insane as they seem. It was just evil through and through for reasons that I could understand. While I don't agree with them, I see where she came from and why she did it, even if it was too damn far.

I don't expect people to have the same feelings that I do regarding it all, but I'm glad this expansion had such a great story that I could enjoy every party involved on all sides.

Makikou

So completed the MSQ of Stormblood yesterday

Shinryu was amazing, my PUG wiped on it about 4 times and once wiped on 2%
and the kill happened when everyone except 1 healer died on 1% and she somehow managed to kill Shinryu as she died which cleared the fight for us.

As someone who has never done EX primals except unsynced, overleveled, overgeared it was one of the best fights I've done in the game so far.

I assume after completing MSQ, job quest lv70 the next thing is to just get gear to 300 through dungeons and what then? Susano EX? What can I get with the centurio seals from hunts? Is it worth it? What about A/S ranks?

BlackJace

SAM is legit, holy shit.
I've disliked nearly every DPS class I've tried out, but I'm pretty sure I'll stick with this as a secondary class with SCH.

MIDARE SETSUGETSUKA

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
So completed the MSQ of Stormblood yesterday

Shinryu was amazing, my PUG wiped on it about 4 times and once wiped on 2%
and the kill happened when everyone except 1 healer died on 1% and she somehow managed to kill Shinryu as she died which cleared the fight for us.

As someone who has never done EX primals except unsynced, overleveled, overgeared it was one of the best fights I've done in the game so far.

I assume after completing MSQ, job quest lv70 the next thing is to just get gear to 300 through dungeons and what then? Susano EX? What can I get with the centurio seals from hunts? Is it worth it? What about A/S ranks?
From iammeiam:
Tome gear.

Job Quest = AF3 Weapon and left side (no belt) = i290

Level 70 Dungeons = i300

Verity (intro uncapped tomes) = i310

Primals = i320 weapon and accessories

CLBridges

Completed my 22gb redownload and finally was able to get back in. I'm already level 69 and just completed the level 67 dungeon (liked it a lot). I've been really enjoying the MSQ and glad I'm off Tuesday as I plan to finish it up and see what endgame looks like.

duckroll

Most people probably haven't seen this, but Kugane's visual design reminds me of the anime film Fuse. It's the colors mostly - both Fuse's Edo and Kugane use very bright, bold, garish colors that can overwhelm the senses.

If only Miyaji could tell a story as well as the FFXIV team. His visual direction is so good! T_T

Wagram

Story has been okay so far (up to 63), but I will say it's a step down from Heavensward. I was more invested in that (it's hard to outdo dragons). It also had the better buildup.

There's still a long ways though so it could blow my mind by the time it's over.

Makikou

SAM seems pretty insane. Was doing
Castrum Abania
yesterday as pug group. WAR (me), SAM, BRD and AST.

Everyone was under lv70 and we still 1 cycled every boss. That -20% slashing damage resistance from WAR's Maim buffs SAM pretty nicely I bet.

Aeana

All done with the story! Lots to unpack in the final scenes, I'll sleep on that.

That final fight, too. Dang. Crazy.

Gala

Can't wait to get home in 4 hours to finish the last bit to 70 (25% to do) and tackle the last MSQ and the 70s job quest.
So far the expansion is a blast!

Story has been okay so far (up to 63), but I will say it's a step down from Heavensward. I was more invested in that (it's hard to outdo dragons). It also had the better buildup.

There's still a long ways though so it could blow my mind by the time it's over.

Funny I'm at the same spot and I feel the exact opposite. Something about the story here so far feels focused in a way I wasn't expecting. It feels like stormblood has 1 goal and we are slowly but surely working towards that goal.

Edzi

Red Mage feels incredibly satisfying since you're always doing something. Dualcast was a genius decision.

SAM feels amazing too, and I can't believe I'm actually considering leveling 2 dps classes alongside my Tank main.

Top Bottom