• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood (PC/PS4, no PS3) announced, first info [Up: Trailer]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Via: https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/57hrl5/ffxivs_new_expansion_pack_is_called_stormblood/

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAobb8_SzHY

AnghellicKarma said:
  • Stormblood will explore Ala Mihgo
  • Main focus is to regain control of Ala Mihgo from the Garlean Empire
  • 20 years have passed since Garleans have had control
  • Main atagonist to be Zenos Yae Galvus, XIIth Legion Legatus and de facto ruler of Ala Mihgo
  • Woman depicted in trailer to potentially be revealed in future 3.X patch
  • Warrior of Light's main job in 4.0 is Monk (akin to DRG for 3.0)
  • Area shown in teaser trailer is Rhalgr's Reach, the HQ of Ala Migho's main resistance.
  • Multiple new jobs to be discussed at future date
  • Yoshi-P wore a t-shirt of Marvel's Scarlet Witch, said that was the only hint he'd give at this time [Red Mage]
  • New Level Cap: 70 (for all classes)
  • More actions for each job to go with new cap
  • Revamped battle system to go with new actions
  • Additional Skill System to be overhauled, with skills shared by roles instead of jobs, and can choose from shared role ability options
  • Reassessment of unused/ineffective actions
  • Example used is Dragoon's Blood of the Dragon buff, where in 4.0 an icon/gauge showing how much time is left will be better visible on screen so players aren't just staring at the current icon
  • New Areas to be introduced, comparable in size to Heavensward areas
  • Stormblood will be a full standalone game's worth of content
  • New Primals to be introduced, including known names and all-new original-to-FF14 ones.
  • New Dungeons to be introduced with new battle and dungeon concepts to be introduced
  • High-End Raids to also be added, with possibility of different story depending on difficulty, with normal on odd patches, savage on even
  • New Alliance Raids to be added. Big news, but will wait until Tokyo Fan Fest, but will be, "very, very Final Fantasy"
  • Expanded form of Exploration to be introduced: The Forbidden Land of Eureka (they really like FF3!), something different from Diadem and will expand its own entire area, unique to Stormblood. There might even be Notorious Monsters that only appear once every 72 hours.
  • Eureka may also be used for next set of high-end weapons, akin to Relic/Anima, rather than upgrades in "normal areas."
  • New Gear and Recipes, including winners of Fan's Gear Design Contest
  • Item Inventory Exansion (this got the biggest cheers so far), looking to increase "as much as humanly possible." There is uncertainty in how this will be implemented due to the server needs, and it will be addressed in a future Live Letter
  • A 4th Residential Area to be added. Where? "Sorry, can't tell ya."
  • In-game footage of new areas shown
  • Screenshots now being shown of new areas
  • Indications are that Ala Mihgo is crossed via a wall in The Black Shroud, which will be shown in Patch 3.5. Yoshi joked that Dragoon Jump won't work to scale the wall, but that The Warrior of Light has a lot of practice falling off of things.
  • Ala Mihgo will not be just deserts and wasteland. Forests are also part of it.
  • All areas of 4.0 will be accessible by flying mounts, but there was an indication that it will again by quest-based like in 3.0. At groans from the audience, Yoshi said it will be easier than Moogle Quests.
  • That's all the information for now from this keynote. More information will be released in other Fan Fests elsewhere, Live Letters, and so forth. "This is just the start." Yoshi teases he wants to say more everytime the audience cheers, but then he'd be dead and Stormblood wouldn't come out.
  • Two final announcements:
  • 1) Changes to Windows version Minimum Specs requirements. Current minimum specs are geared towards components you can't even buy anymore. So, for the best gaming experience possible, they've decided to raise their minimum specs. "If possible, maybe upgrade to 64-bit OS" but they will still support 32-bit. They just suggest 64-bit will be best gaming experience.
  • 2) End of PlayStation 3 support. This got the second biggest cheers. They've been examining numbers and have seen a large migration of PS3 to PS4 so they have decided it is the right time to end PS3 support. To show appreciation to their PS3 fans that helped them get to where they are now, there will be a special FREE PS3 to PS4 upgrade campaign.

Cuv0FpgVIAACrrk.jpg

2a78d497.jpg

Cuv1l3lVUAAYbFu.jpg:large

Cuv3v2OVYAAwVMQ.jpg

Cuv9OW0VUAANBzL.jpg:large

Cuv9KX7VYAE9roN.jpg:large

Cuv9VJZUkAAp2qh.jpg:large

Cuv5xO9WEAEqAU2.jpg:large

Gravijah

Dropping PS3 support already? That pretty much kills any interest I had in returning to the game, and I would be playing on a higher end PC. Terrible.

Darte

Dropping PS3 support already? That pretty much kills any interest I had in returning to the game, and I would be playing on a higher end PC. Terrible.

That doesn't make any sense, how does PS3 support being dropped affect you as a PC player?

2) End of PlayStation 3 support. This got the second biggest cheers. They've been examining numbers and have seen a large migration of PS3 to PS4 so they have decided it is the right time to end PS3 support. To show appreciation to their PS3 fans that helped them get to where they are now, there will be a special FREE PS3 to PS4 upgrade campaign.

Sounds like it was time.

Gravijah

Why? The PS3 version was holding the game back. This is a very good thing.

Raising specs/dropping legacy support is not a good thing in my eyes when it comes to MMOs. MMOs should be about longterm community building and over time should allow a variety of different specs to play the game, not updates to make things prettier/flashier.

And yeah, it sucks with WoW too.

That doesn't make any sense, how does PS3 support being dropped affect you as a PC player?

Because I don't just think of things from how they effect me personally.

I'm really excited by what they've shown- especially the additional inventory space and revamp of useless abilities. The areas look gorgeous! Also as a Monk main, I'm happy we finally get our day in the sun.

Darte

Ps3 was holding this game back for a while now. Glad its being dropped. If you honestly can't spring 299 for a PS4 between now and next summer (which includes christmas mind you), you should have higher priorities elsewhere.

Raising specs/dropping legacy support is not a good thing in my eyes when it comes to MMOs. MMOs should be about longterm community building and over time should allow a variety of different specs to play the game, not updates to make things prettier/flashier.

Any one playing it on console should be moving up to PS4 or PC by now. No one supports old consoles with new content forever. Destiny just dropped last gen. It's time.

Dropping support for the PS3 had the second biggest amount of cheers at the keynote. They're offering free upgrades from PS3 to PS4 to try giving those on the PS3 access if they upgrade. I'd rather they make sure that they can make zones and encounters as interesting as they want than be restricted by 10-year old hardware.

Will the previous xpac be a part of the base game now like how WoW works? Never had a chance to play the previous xpac but hit max lvl on base game

Gravijah

Any one playing it on console should be moving up to PS4 or PC by now. No one supports old consoles with new content forever. Destiny just dropped last gen. It's time.

Forever? The game released on PlayStation 3 three years ago. THREE! PlayStation 2 was supported with Final Fantasy XI until the last major content release, and only closed after FOURTEEN years.

Koobion

Very glad to see PS3 support dropped. I'm interested to see what they can advance now with so much more hardware to work with.

Atolm

Meh, I would have been furious had I paid for this. We're working on new jobs, dungeons and raids!. No shit, Sherlock. Give us details.

Zomba13

Wonder how Red Mage will work and kinda shocked it's not Blue Mage with all the Raubahn hints.

It's got to be a DPS with some support utility right?

And yeah, dropping PS3 support is one of the best things they could do. FFXI was hindered by "PS2 Limitations" for far too long.

jiggle

It's great to see fantastic CG doesn't have to end with FFXV :)

It's really too bad they can't get away from the 3 strict battle roles
Especially with something more ambiguous like rdm comjng

It's not just about being prettier, the PS3 severely constricts the kind of features they can work with and supporting that is asinine specially since the console is all but dead. The game can't even have fucking numbers for TP on the party list because of it.

FFXI was released relatively early in the PS2's lifespan while by the time XIV released the PS3 was already 7 years old.

Yoshida said that examining the number of PS3 players factored into their decision to end support. It's unfortunate for those who played on PS3 for sure, but I'm assuming they feel the playerbase was small enough to justify the improvements they'll be able to make by dropping support.

Forever? The game released on PlayStation 3 three years ago. THREE! PlayStation 2 was supported with Final Fantasy XI until the last major content release, and only closed after FOURTEEN years.

As someone who played FF11 for over a decade, that was a horrible decision to support ps2 for so long.

Khrno

So is the female martial artist from the trailer actually a Monk or a Dancer?

I would say Dancer will be another of the new jobs together with RDM.

Aesthet1c

Man I need to get back into this game. It's just so difficult with the level grind. I never even made it to 60 because I ran out of things to do and was stuck with grinding dungeons and fate's. Is that still an issue? I think I'm like 57 on my DRK.

Medicated

Neo Member
Man I need to get back into this game. It's just so difficult with the level grind. I never even made it to 60 because I ran out of things to do and was stuck with grinding dungeons and fate's. Is that still an issue? I think I'm like 57 on my DRK.

If you haven't hit level 60 at all even on other classes the main story alone would basically get you to 60. Maybe you might have to grind a level or 2 with fates and dungeons but you never needed to solely do them unless you are leveling an alternate class.

K.Sabot

The game was so broken on ps3
They are doing the players a service really

in fact it seems they're gonna be going even harder on the 3 roles after mentioning that cross class skills will be across the roles and no longer specific classes.

It's definitely a Monk. Still hoping for Dancer, though.
Doing your daily roulletes will get you like 50% of a level a day and you have a billion sidequests to do while leveling your first job. There's no grind unless you want things at 60 in a week.

Arkeband

Banned

If it's Yda, she is a monk.

But the story hasn't gotten there yet.

Realistically we have to think about the weapon types the new jobs will use, they probably wouldn't add two sword type classes so if RDM is a rapier user, Samurai is probably out.

Dunkley

Yeah the game really struggled under the low speed of the speed of the base PS3 HDD and the low amount of RAM, playing on PS3 with an SSD was bearable but still suboptimal since the LOD distance was really short and pop in was quite apparent as the game desperately tried to keep the render load low enough for the game to run. And yet, even with everything but the player character animating at 15FPS instead of 30, it still ran pretty badly when things got busy.

I bought it because it was cheaper than monthly sub and it's interesting to see how much they managed, but with that said I can say I am glad they're discontinuing it to be not held back by it any longer.

In other news, guess who just got a free PS4 version of FF14?

Excited to hear more details. Stopped playing earlier this year due to the terrible end game grind but I always like new content!

Top Bottom