• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood (PC/PS4, no PS3) announced, first info [Up: Trailer]

I wouldn't expect one. Not really any lore justification for there to be one.

Au Ra didn't have one though. They kind of just got dropped in and they don't show up in the story at all aside from
Yugiri
IIRC.

There isn't any reason to expect that they wouldn't just do the same for Stormblood.

SkyOdin

Should we expect a new race as well or is that not really a thing that every new expansion would offer?
No mention of one yet. We might see some expanded appearance options for existing races. The possibility of new racial variants (i.e. Highlanders and Midlanders) has been mentioned in the past. There is an outside chance we might see half-Hyur/ half-Elezen become available, since one was introduced in the last expansion.

~Cross~

I really miss element weaknesses. Feels so stupid throwing ninja lightning at like Ramuh and stuff like that sometimes.

Some of you are crazy. There comes a time in a game where IMMERSION ruins the gameplay and not being able to use bread and butter elements of your class because of fantasy is bull.

Uh oh! Looks like that mage cant go into its astral phase because he's fighting ifrit, watch him cast Ice 1 forever. Or look at that mage be always out of mp because she cant go into her umbral phase!

Guess Who

Banned
Au Ra didn't have one though. They kind of just got dropped in and they don't show up in the story at all aside from
Yugiri
IIRC.

There isn't any reason to expect that they wouldn't just do the same for Stormblood.

By lore reason I mean there's not really any indication in the lore so far of another race, unlike with 3.0 where they had been hinting for months before the Au Ra reveal.

Yugiri first showed up in what, 2.2?

jax

Banned
Is anyone else kinda bummed about no Xbone release?

They said it was lack of cross play holding it back, which will have been long fixed by the beginning of summer.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

PS4 is still better than a fair amount of PCs being used to play the game currently.

Got proof?

Calm down with the insults. There are MMOs in PC that run on toasters with better QOL features then FFXIV. If he is already saying "wait for ps5" i think a somple harmless joke that be thrown the games way. Its already held back by consoles. No ifs ands or butts.

Jebus.

The "main focus is to regain control of Ala Mihgo from the Garlean Empire"...

Going into A Realm Reborn, thematically the two things that I loved the most about FF XIV was the lore of Ala Mihgo and the sort of FF VI Magitek Empire/FF XII Judges aesthetic of the Garlean Empire, so this expansion is almost perfect for me thematically.

As was Heavensward, actually... Again, huge bias to Dragoons and snowy mountains. I'm not sure if FF XIV is quite in my top 3 favorite MMOs yet (though it's pretty darn close), but in terms of pure creative themes and aesthetic, it's expansions continue to feel almost tailored perfectly to my thematic and aesthetic preferences or biases haha.

Riposte

Some of you are crazy. There comes a time in a game where IMMERSION ruins the gameplay and not being able to use bread and butter elements of your class because of fantasy is bull.

Uh oh! Looks like that mage cant go into its astral phase because he's fighting ifrit, watch him cast Ice 1 forever. Or look at that mage be always out of mp because she cant go into her umbral phase!

You make it seem the extremely common mechanic of elemental weaknesses are a hassle for almost any game (including FFXIV's predecessors). As for your specific example, while working in the confines of a fairly boring class/ability/stat system, they could have the effects of the three spells change (swap) depending on the enemy. It would at least present the illusion, which is to say, the aesthetic, of an elemental system fans would expect out of a Final Fantasy game (and fit the game's world, etc). I'm not saying they should do that, but I think your counterargument is irrelevant.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Is anyone else kinda bummed about no Xbone release?

They said it was lack of cross play holding it back, which will have been long fixed by the beginning of summer.
It's not fixed, they said so a few months ago. I think the current speculation is that MS requires all crossplay games to offer an Xbox only server option which would mean they would still have to do an Xbox only server to comply with MS crossplay regulations. The game won't be ported till they can release the game without having to dedicate server resources just for it.

At Gamescom in Cologne, Germany, we had a quite interesting chat with Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn Director and Producer Naoki Yoshida, about the possibility of an Xbox One version of the game.

Yoshida-san explained that he had a meeting with Microsoft a week ago about cross-platform gameplay. However, there are regulations Microsoft has in place about cross-platform games, that don’t really adapt well to a MMORPG.

Unless Microsoft adapts those regulations, it’s really difficult to materialize an Xbox One version of the game. However, Yoshida-san and Microsoft had talks about this topic quite a lot of times already, and next month around Tokyo Game Show another meeting is planned with Microsoft’s team coming from the headquarters in Seattle. During this meeting, Yoshida-san would like to go over the details of cross platform gameplay.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aMOl9_Ah4RE Around 4:30

You make it seem the extremely common mechanic of elemental weaknesses are a hassle for almost any game (including FFXIV's predecessors). As for your specific example, while working in the confines of a fairly boring class/ability/stat system, they could have the effects of the three spells change (swap) depending on the enemy. It would at least present the illusion, which is to say, the aesthetic, of an elemental system fans would expect out of a Final Fantasy game (and fit the game's world, etc). I'm not saying they should do that, but I think your counterargument is irrelevant.

In the keynote they mentioned a "combat revamp". That to me sounds like something more substantial than just adjusting buff timers. There's also the comment regarding that they will attempt to keep the core feel of each job intact, that to me meaning that they are planning major changes otherwise that sort of comment would feel unwarranted.

Considering all that it's possible they could do something like adding elemental weaknesses to enemies since an expansion is the perfect time to shake things up and make major changes.

The game already has a sort of vestigial elemental resistance system that's not really worth using in anyway currently.

If they found some way to do that, where you actually have to say adjust what your rotation is based on the enemy you're fighting I think that could be interesting if they do it right.

I'm really interested to see what the class/job changes actually are because so far we just have some vague idea of what they're planning to do.

jax

Banned
It's not fixed, they said so a few months ago. I think the current speculation is that MS requires all crossplay games to offer an Xbox only server option which would mean they would still have to do an Xbox only server to comply with MS crossplay regulations. The game won't be ported till they can release the game without having to dedicate server resources just for it.
Makes sense that it's Microsoft still holding it back. Could be a system seller if they could work something out.

Riposte

In the keynote they mentioned a "combat revamp". That to me sounds like something more substantial than just adjusting buff timers. There's also the comment regarding that they will attempt to keep the core feel of each job intact, that to me meaning that they are planning major changes otherwise that sort of comment would feel unwarranted.

Considering all that it's possible they could do something like adding elemental weaknesses to enemies since an expansion is the perfect time to shake things up and make major changes.

The game already has a sort of vestigial elemental resistance system that's not really worth using in anyway currently.

If they found some way to do that, where you actually have to say adjust what your rotation is based on the enemy you're fighting I think that could be interesting if they do it right.

I'm really interested to see what the class/job changes actually are because so far we just have some vague idea of what they're planning to do.

Oh yeah, that's why I clicked on this thread in the first place. I was hoping to hear more about that. Truth be told, I'm more interested in seeing how they may change the combat system than actually playing it again. (It may be taboo, but I think if they want to inject some creativity to class design, they should look at older versions of the game, namely, 1.23, for inspiration.)

Wow surprised they dropped PS3. Considering how long they supported FF11 and 360

People who were following the game werent. Back when heavensward was announced, they said they would seriously evaluate ps3 support for 4.0

Like someone earlier in the thread said, 11 was a ps2 game ported to pc and launched early in its life. 14 was a pc game ported down to ps3 at the very end of its life. The game struggles enough as it is on ps3 and it's future would be dark if it had to support a system with 512mb of ram for even longer.

They literally can't put TP counters or expand inventory because the UI memory is at max on ps3. If stuff like that is effected, you can imagine how it effects actual game design.

~Cross~

You make it seem the extremely common mechanic of elemental weaknesses are a hassle for almost any game

They are not common MMOs! WoW used to have something stupid like that and they removed it because guess what, not being able to use one of your specs (the one you probably like!) because the entire dungeon is made of fire, is incredibly dumb!

You are adding a ton of needless baggage for the most superficial form of illusions of choice imaginable.

e-guys guys, combat revamp is going to be condensing abilities to combat bloat. They aren't going to add mechanics that only a certain amount of classes can take advantage that just add another layer of obfuscation to balance against.

Wadiwasi

Banned
Played the base ARR game, quit after getting to the end of the story. Picked up Heavensward and played it for a little longer, doing a bit of raiding then quit again. I'll be definitely picking it up again.

Haven't done the new patch story lines and the expansion will add on to that. I love the look of that samurai, specifically his hilt contraption.

Interested in what they do to the combat

Qvoth

strange how different the english and japanese title of the expansion is
for heavensward they were the same right?

Allard

strange how different the english and japanese title of the expansion is
for heavensward they were the same right?

Nope, Japanese title for heavensward was Souten no Ishgard or blue sky of Ishgard. Also where you seeing the different name? Even on the Japanese site it is showing up as Stormblood.

Dinjoralo

Seems like now was a good time to try getting back into the game... I wonder if 4.0 will come with a buttload of features and QOL tweaks that the PS3 was preventing.

Addendum: Though looking at it, it feels like the limiting factor for what can be done with the game will be whatever the new minimum requirements in PC are. I don't see them demanding PS4 level hardware, but even the current requirements are much better than PS3, so it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
That dude in the video.

tumblr_mdid3jvzbp1qkbejf.gif

They are not common MMOs! WoW used to have something stupid like that and they removed it because guess what, not being able to use one of your specs (the one you probably like!) because the entire dungeon is made of fire, is incredibly dumb!

You are adding a ton of needless baggage for the most superficial form of illusions of choice imaginable.

e-guys guys, combat revamp is going to be condensing abilities to combat bloat. They aren't going to add mechanics that only a certain amount of classes can take advantage that just add another layer of obfuscation to balance against.

Yeah.

I don't see the combat revamp being anything drastic. Ability bloat is real, and I see the changes being made in that direction and QoL improvements. I don't see FFXIV being a whole new game or anything similar because of them. Stick with what works, make adjustments when required.

Isaccard

Oh yeah, that's why I clicked on this thread in the first place. I was hoping to hear more about that. Truth be told, I'm more interested in seeing how they may change the combat system than actually playing it again. (It may be taboo, but I think if they want to inject some creativity to class design, they should look at older versions of the game, namely, 1.23, for inspiration.)

Was wondering when you'd show up to say something ridiculous.

DJIzana

Yeah.

I don't see the combat revamp being anything drastic. Ability bloat is real, and I see the changes being made in that direction and QoL improvements. I don't see FFXIV being a whole new game or anything similar because of them. Stick with what works, make adjustments when required.

I don't know. It's a huge feature. If it was minimal they'd likely say that but I guess we'll find out in time.

Gnomist

VanillaCakeIsBurning said:

I think it's easy for us to run wild imagining something far grander than what reality has in store for us. To be clear, I think the combat/ability setup they have now needs a complete rework, but I don't think that is what we'll get. I suspect the "revamp" to be more along the lines of combining skills that were always pressed in a specific order into a single button that changes with each press. For example, Dragoons currently have Impulse Drive, Disembowel, and Chaos Thrust. Three separate skills that you always press in the same order. I could see that being merged into a single skill that, when pressed and successfully hitting, will automatically change to the next skill in the chain. Some ability removals or combining different skill effects into a single skill seems possible as well.

Whompa02

What an utterly lifeless trailer. Pretty visuals just don't do anything for me anymore...

The Star Wars mmo trailers are far more inspiring and attention grabbing. They tell a story about the world and get you interested.

Liking the idea of dropping PS3 support though. It's time to move on.

I think it's easy for us to run wild imagining something far grander than what reality has in store for us. To be clear, I think the combat/ability setup they have now needs a complete rework, but I don't think that is what we'll get. I suspect the "revamp" to be more along the lines of combining skills that were always pressed in a specific order into a single button that changes with each press. For example, Dragoons currently have Impulse Drive, Disembowel, and Chaos Thrust. Three separate skills that you always press in the same order. I could see that being merged into a single skill that, when pressed and successfully hitting, will automatically change to the next skill in the chain. Some ability removals or combining different skill effects into a single skill seems possible as well.

That was a bit of speculation but realistically it's probably going to be reducing combo bloat/skill bloat

By lore reason I mean there's not really any indication in the lore so far of another race, unlike with 3.0 where they had been hinting for months before the Au Ra reveal.

Yugiri first showed up in what, 2.2?

There's also still the next few major patches if they do in fact want to go that route. Well, all will be revealed anyway at the Tokyo fan fest going by precedent so we'll see what they have in store then.

What an utterly lifeless trailer. Pretty visuals just don't do anything for me anymore...

The Star Wars mmo trailers are far more inspiring and attention grabbing. They tell a story about the world and get you interested.

Liking the idea of dropping PS3 support though. It's time to move on.
If it's anything like heavensward's cinematic, this is a truncated version to serve as a teaser. We'll get the full 5-6 minute one closer to release

So I guess all the Scions will be getting new wardrobes again. Seeing as the new place looks pretty hot, I'm guessing everyone will be showing off their arms and abs.

Shouta

Nope, Japanese title for heavensward was Souten no Ishgard or blue sky of Ishgard. Also where you seeing the different name? Even on the Japanese site it is showing up as Stormblood.

There's a sub-subtitle to the game if you consider FFXIV to be part of the title. JP is Stormblood: Guren no Kaishousha or "The Crimson Liberator" it would look like. The promo images folks were posting in the thread

Anyway, elemental weaknesses totally work for MMOs but most games aren't designed with it in mind. It really wouldn't work in FFXIV with the way system is setup right now though.

Frumix

Suffering From Success
I wouldn't put too much stock in "Consoles hold the game back" theory. It's just a go-to swerve when it comes to answering why certain features are too costly to change or implement. PS3 itself at best only holds the game back in the UI and maybe visuals department, but even removing it out of the equation, it's not like they're gonna radically change any fundamental aspects of the game's systems and engine. A lot more problems come from the way their servers operate, the way their data is structured, and the client system really hasn't a whole lot to do with that.

SkyOdin

As far as the combat revamp goes, one of the few tidbits they have given us is that they are planning on doing something about skills that aren't pulling their weight in the game right now. The biggest thing that immediately comes to mind from that is crowd-control. When 2.0 launched, a bunch of classes were given access to bind and sleep moves, which pretty quickly fell out of favor by the players. As a result, the Black Mage (as the most notable example), has three spells devoted to these crowd control effects, which are are very rarely used outside of PvP. I wouldn't be surprised if those spells get modified in the combat system revamp somehow.

Still making my way through the base game which i bought in august i think? Finally did another primal fight (the 2nd one, the guy that likes to push you off the map)

Top Bottom