• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV: Demo Gameplay Breakdown (GIF HEAVY)

Sanpunkan

its not that the hitstun is a bad thing, its that its too much hitstun, every hit does huge amounts of it, and it makes the game look slower than it actually is

lets look at DMC4 for example, Nero also has hitstun in his moves, but only a little, wich still maintains a good speed while also making each move satisfying to hit on enemies

Hitstun in this game needs to be taken down a bit, at least 70%, and leave more hitstun for something like critical or special moves, not every single move with stupidly high amounts of hitstun

Understood. I'll withhold judgement till I try it in March.

Will be interesting to see how different Episode Duscae will be from the final release product. My hunch is that the differences will be numerous and noticeable. It sounds like they still have quite a bit of development left.

Exentryk

Hitstun Reduced!

1424961274-hitstun-reduced.gif

Koozek

『Inaba Resident』;153757370 said:
YES.
Did they clarify if the reduced hitsun is in the demo build or not?
IIRC, they said they were still in the mastering phase, tweaking and tuning mechanics.

Exentryk

Also, the Just Guard sounds like Lightning Returns. But I think they'd be much harder to do here since there are so many enemies in a single fight, and half the time you can't even see the enemies attacking.

So, I can see most people just relying on holding the guard.

Falk

that puzzling face
Also, the Just Guard sounds like Lightning Returns. But I think they'd be much harder to do here since there are so many enemies in a single fight, and half the time you can't even see the enemies attacking.

So, I can see most people just relying on holding the guard.

Well, even in LR, Perfect Guard was only really necessary to survive the really hard-hitting attacks, and those were well-choreographed.

Exentryk

Well, even in LR, Perfect Guard was only really necessary to survive the really hard-hitting attacks, and those were well-choreographed.

Yeah. It's good that they have these options if players want to master the system. Adding such timing to moves also makes the gameplay smoother/fluid.

Really glad they kept the slowdown on hit for the bigger weapons but reduced it for quick ones. Immaculate balance!

Worrying that Noctis takes falling damage though... I thought this game was supposed to have a lot of verticality, and Tabata even mentioned that aerial combat will be implemented. But such a small fall dealing damage makes it seem like Noctis won't be very acrobatic at all. I can live with it, for sure, but hope it isn't the case.

Exentryk

Really glad they kept the slowdown on hit for the bigger weapons but reduced it for quick ones. Immaculate balance!

Worrying that Noctis takes falling damage though... I thought this game was supposed to have a lot of verticality, and Tabata even mentioned that aerial combat will be implemented. But such a small fall dealing damage makes it seem like Noctis won't be very acrobatic at all. I can live with it, for sure, but hope it isn't the case.

We didn't see his HP drop when he fell down after hanging off from the water tower. May be it wasn't implemented? But your HP does recover quickly, so it should work out. Xenoblade had it as well.

Exentryk

seems like what they did was going back to a more Versus XIII feel....the PS3 gameplay back then didn't have hitstun at all. and I am very happy about what they've done here.

Today's video is how they've had it since TGS 2014 (and even earlier). It was only last week's showing that had the pronounced hit stun for some odd reason.

Anyway, looks a lot more fluid now.

seems like what they did was going back to a more Versus XIII feel....the PS3 gameplay back then didn't have hitstun at all. and I am very happy about what they've done here.

No video had slowdown until the last stream.

It's a thing they added then and already took off (mostly).

No video had slowdown until the last stream.

It's a thing they added then and already took off (mostly).

I am starting to think they purposely put it in just for last week to see a reaction to it, since it was a change, like you said just happened. They could have just wanted to see how it looked but with such a negative reaction they decided against it.

I don't mind the hitstun for big weapons though.

Flarin

Has her fate been answered yet? Or is it pretty much confirmed now that Stella = Luna? Or do we have to wait till the demo is released.

Tabata was asked about that pretty recently (in an interview w/ a German outlet if I'm not mistaken?) and he pretty much said no comment.

Dynasty8

I don't get the hate for the L3 sprint. At this point, I prefer it.

It worked perfectly fine Dragon's Dogma and several other games.

Exentryk

So, in Pax East FFXV panel, in the combat tutorial, we saw that the Slash weapon does get used in the middle, but it is based on enemy distance. If the enemy goes out of range of the Rush weapon, the Slash weapon will get used regardless of enemy health. It's still not ideal case (fixed combo), but at least you'd get a bit more use out of it.

I wonder though if you set a long range weapon for Rush, then Slash would likely only get used for the finisher.

Anyway, I'm on blackout until I play the demo myself. Haven't seen any of the new footage or the impressions from press.

Top Bottom