• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV: Demo Gameplay Breakdown (GIF HEAVY)

chozen

Also, I hate people throwing around the word 'casual', especially before trying the system itself.

On what I was saying about making a combo with real time weapon switching it would a little like Entry Attack>Left Dpad>Attack Attack Attack>Left DPad>Finisher OR Stay on greatsword or short sword and spam the attack button for entry attack main combo and finisher. It seems hard but it isn't really. By allowing this it gives us the option to stay on a certain weapon if we want to or make a specific combo by swapping between
I say casual cause when you pause the game while in combat switching weapons and using potions everything stops, unlike darksouls.
If anything like you say, allow us to have different setups to switch between on a button. That would make things a bit better

Village

Haven't played it. Can you describe how they did it?
So this how they did it

Sure.

For Dante They used the right trigger to switch guns, and the left trigger to switch sword like weapons. I feel like this would work for noctis, since he is a weapon summoner and will have a load out. He can just use this a cycler.

For the D pad however, Dante had style switching what this did was change the focus of dante's gameplay. He had 5 styles
Sword Master ( more sword combos)Right
Gun Slinger ( more gun options)left
Trickster ( more ways to move around and evade attacks including a teleport ) up
Royal guard ( a defensive counter heavy style)down
And The Yamato, which is some of virgils moves from 3. Right twice

I think a lot of that kind of thing could work for notcis because he there is already a " R3 for run issue " He could just switch to " Atheletic mode on the dpad and now boom his movement is more focused around evading attacks running and climbing obsticals. Wanna get back in there? Bang hit the attack mode and now you have more combos stuff like that. Wanna have more powerful magic, bip now you are magic focused.

Not trying to take credit away from DMC4, but I don't recall constant weapon switching being the core gameplay element there, though it's been too long way since I played it, so I might have forget things. From my memory, the purpose of the button is just to enable quick swap without going to menu, but it wasn't integral to the gameplay idea of revolving around the use of different weapons. In FFXV, Noctis is a weapon summoner, and the idea of having different weapons to use at all time was the fundamental of the combat. They're just a different beast altogether.

They aren't that different.

Noctis is just dante an Virgil in one moveset with out guns.. Also if you wanted to be amazing at that game, switching was very much integral to how you wanted to play dante, especially at higher difficulties.

Exentryk

Ok, Instead of having Left/Right Dpad buttons to swap abilities switch that to Up/Down D pad similar to Birth by sleep. Then have D pad Left/Right to swap weapons in game. Or if you feel that maybe be awkward for the finger put weapon switching on the the L2/R2.
You start with a shortsword and attack smaller creatures that are fast, and if a giant creature comes charging at you simply dodge and press left/right on your d pad and switch to a heavier weapon. How is that so hard?

That system works well if you have 3 weapons. But more than that, and it's a lot more weapons to remember, and it'll ruin the flow of the combos too as it'll require multiple L2/R2 presses.

It could be worth a try anyway.

SPAW

That system works well if you have 3 weapons. But more than that, and it's a lot more weapons to remember, and it'll ruin the flow of the combos too as it'll require multiple L2/R2 presses.

and Noctis only used 3 swords in the first trailer......

chozen

yes I'd like to see it but I myself don't even know how many weapons they plan for us to have by the end of the game. But as it stands it seems like they are keeping it to 3 weapons so it would have seem fitting, and like SPAW said even in the very first versus trailer Noctis only used 3 weapons going down the stairs.

chozen

Going by the current system it begs the question, what is the purpose for the rest of the weapons seen in many of the trailers if we are only using 5?

dasd.png

Exentryk

For Dante They used the right trigger to switch guns, and the left trigger to switch sword like weapons. I feel like this would work for noctis, since he is a weapon summoner and will have a load out. He can just use this a cycler.
... [SNIP]

So only one button to switch sword weapons?

It seems to me the idea behind XV's system is to not be so actiony that you're getting rushed to do things, like trying to switch weapons quickly etc. It's more of a slower strategic play where you can focus more on the battlefield, allies, enemy numbers etc, without worrying too much about weapon changes. Allowing you to set your weapons retains the strategy there as well.

and Noctis only used 3 swords in the first trailer......

Which trailer? Noctis was using all 5 in the ATR vid.

SPAW

So only one button to switch sword weapons?

It seems to me the idea behind XV's system is to not be so actiony that you're getting rushed to do things, like trying to switch weapons quickly etc. It's more of a slower strategic play where you can focus more on the battlefield, allies, enemy numbers etc, without worry too much about weapon changes. Allowing you to set your weapons retains the strategy there as well.

Which trailer? Noctis was using all 5 in the ATR vid.

I was being ironic in response to the poster that you were responding to .

Exentryk

I'd love if we'd actually get various levels of the skills, like Tempest I only does one spin, then you get to Tempest IV and it's basically a bi-shounen hurricane lol

And Noctis will never come down from a Jump VII, right? :p

Going by the current system it begs the question, what is the purpose for the rest of the weapons seen in many of the trailers if we are only using 5?

dasd.png

Those are Phantom Sword Weapons. We've seen up to 8 weapons in Phantom Sword. And I think you'll be able to collect close to that number in the demo too. These weapons are separate from your normal weapons and only appear when you use Phantom Sword.

chozen

Visual effects/ Phantom Sword weapons?

I guess playing with 15 or so weapons isn't mechanically plausible by a gameplay stand point huh... I didn't really think about that till now after all these years. I just realized the e3 gameplay trailer, the player had access to 8 weapons.

Koozek

I sincerely don't like the sprint/parkour-mode set to L3, should've been a Trigger Button (L2 or R2) instead.

Yep, I don't like it either :/

[...]
L1+R1 Phantom Sword
L2+R2 Summon (probably only one summon at time)
L2 Ability -> (+ Triangle, Circle, Square and Cross for each one of them)
R2 Magic -> (+ Triangle, Circle, Square and Cross for each one of them)

I would put Run on R2 and leave the Ability stuff like it is now, coupled to the weapon chain mechanic (automatic change of weapons at the beginning, middle and end of a combo). I'm not sure yet why Aerial is its own category, so at this point it feels redundant. Does anybody know more about it?

raven777

And Noctis will never come down from a Jump VII, right? :p

Those are Phantom Sword Weapons. We've seen up to 8 weapons in Phantom Sword. And I think you'll be able to collect close to that number in the demo too. These weapons are separate from your normal weapons and only appear when you use Phantom Sword.

Really? I think they will limit the number to 3 (which was the number of phantom words shown from presentation)

Dark_castle

On what I was saying about making a combo with real time weapon switching it would a little like Entry Attack>Left Dpad>Attack Attack Attack>Left DPad>Finisher OR Stay on greatsword or short sword and spam the attack button for entry attack main combo and finisher. It seems hard but it isn't really. By allowing this it gives us the option to stay on a certain weapon if we want to or make a specific combo by swapping between
I say casual cause when you pause the game while in combat switching weapons and using potions everything stops, unlike darksouls.
If anything like you say, allow us to have different setups to switch between on a button. That would make things a bit better

I get what you are trying to saying there, but in reality, I just feel that it's too troublesome to keep track of the process, trying to flip to the right weapon and not accidentally screwing yourself over, especially when there are other actions Noctis has access to in combat, such as weapon abilities (and switching of the abilities), magic, warping, guarding and summon.

Real time with pause element does not necessarily mean casual. Come on now.

They aren't that different.

Noctis is just dante an Virgil in one moveset with out guns.. Also if you wanted to be amazing at that game, switching was very much integral to how you wanted to play dante, especially at higher difficulties.

The weapon system in XV is more strategic RPG action than pure action reflex, which is why there is a structure and battle preparation setup element in menu. Sure you can say Noctis is like Dante/Virgil, both crazy with weapons, but execution wise, they're different.

Exentryk

Really? I think they will limit the number to 3 (which was the number of phantom words shown from presentation)

Well, they said you can collect Phantom swords as a side activity along with the story bits. So I am assuming there'd be a few more swords to collect.

chozen

Real time with pause element does not necessarily mean casual. Come on now.

But to the least, don't let us pause and manage things in combat. Even KH did not do that. But I know, this isn't kh. I thought Tabata said we would have to manage our equipment before entering combat/boss fight, that is such an rpg notion.

Exentryk

But to the least, don't let us pause and manage things in combat. Even KH did not do that. But I know, this isn't kh.

I actually like that it pauses. Gives me time to think, and feels more satisfying than I'd be if I'm rushing some items/weapon setups. The fact that it pauses in mid battle means I can try new setups right then and there without waiting for a new battle. I also love the effect of it pausing, esp when Noctis is in between a evade warp :D

Transistor game also has a similar sort of system where in it lets you play in real time, but pauses when you want to issue commands.

Dark_castle

But to the least, don't let us pause and manage things in combat. Even KH did not do that. But I know, this isn't kh.

Personally, once I do some research, thinking and setting up the 5 attack sequences (start slow, rush fast, slash slow), I won't bother changing it unless I really have to (or of course new weapons acquired), so I won't be pausing too often. And besides, going back to circle, this is where weapon deck discussion came in two pages back. It will likely help decreasing the need to go to menu as often.

I have to agree that the slash weapon being reserved exclusively for slaying foes would be a real bummer. I don't really care that it makes dispatching ordinary enemies more efficient, bosses and extended fights are where the real game tends to lie in these things and if my slash weapon will only be the final hit on the foe then it's nearly useless in those scenarios. Here's hoping there's some way to set it up as a combo finisher.

chozen

I actually like that it pauses. Gives me time to think, and feels more satisfying than I'd be if I'm rushing some items/weapon setups. The fact that it pauses in mid battle means I can try new setups right then and there without waiting for a new battle. I also love the effect of it pausing, esp when Noctis is in between a evade warp :D

Transistor game also has a similar sort of system where in it lets you play in real time, but pauses when you want to issue commands.

hmm I guess I see your point. Well I'll see if I like it. If not gonna wait for KH3 Or XV-2 Directed by Nomura the dream. (Though I'm still getting this game.)

raven777

Tales games have ingame pause and it still works well.

Obviously they have to have cooldowns for item usage so people don't spam potions.

chozen

Tales games have ingame pause and it still works well.

Obviously they have to have cooldowns for item usage so people don't spam potions.

Star Ocean has something similar to that too, but there were super bosses in the game that you could keep spamming stun bombs on and it made them pretty easy...

Dark_castle

I have to agree that the slash weapon being reserved exclusively for slaying foes would be a real bummer. I don't really care that it makes dispatching ordinary enemies more efficient, bosses and extended fights are where the real game tends to lie in these things and if my slash weapon will only be the final hit on the foe then it's nearly useless in those scenarios. Here's hoping there's some way to set it up as a combo finisher.

Think outside of the box. Sure the "real game" lies with bosses and stuffs, that doesn't mean regular encounters are not a thing, and they will make up for the majority of the enemy encounters in the entire game, like any normal RPG. Having a well-thought, powerful slow weapon for Slash actually sounds like a smart idea, and not to mention actually rewarding player for putting slow, zero ability weapon to good use.

doemaaan

Wait wait wait, time out. I don't get this.

Phantom Sword:
The normal weapons you regularly use in battle are completely different than the Phantom Sword summon weapons. When you start the demo, you have regular weapons and those won’t increase, but you can obtain the Phantom Swords. The Phantom Swords are scattered around on the map, and you obtain them by searching. This is one of the extra elements outside of the story line.
So there are two types of weapons that Noctis interacts with. The ones that go in the Break, Rush, etc slots and the Phantom Mode swords.

You CAN'T use ANY of the Phantom swords for regular fighting? Also, what the hell does "regular" weapons mean? It literally sounds like a weapon Noctis would have holstered before use, but every time he's fighting, he summons a sword. I mean, if he's summoning swords to fight period, why can't he just summon one of the Phantom Swords for regular battle. or rather, why the hell are there two types of summonable swords in the first place?? I thought the swords that swirled around Noctis were the ones he had equipped in the menu for regular battle.

And I could've sworn I saw somewhere that the swords could level up. What's up with the "rank" of the equipped weapons? That can't increase? or is it only the Phantom Swords that can upgrade?

Am I missing something here?

Exentryk

Wan Hazmer commented on the hit stun feedback:

I just wanna drop by to say that it’s a SUPER busy time for me right now, so I don’t have time to write a blog post.

Oh whoops, I just did. Haha.

With less than 2 weeks till our PAX presentation and less than 4 weeks till the release of FFXV Episode Duscae, life is as hectic as it can be. Many cups of lounge coffee (pictured above) and cans of Red Bull were consumed. Your sacrifice shall forever be remembered, my liquid friends.

Anyway, what did you think of the battle demonstration in last week’s Active Time Report? Hope you liked it! It takes a high degree of confidence to show never-before-seen gameplay for that long, but we’re very confident that you will enjoy the battle system :)

I know some of you posted some questions in the previous blog post and in my twitter account. I feel bad for not answering them quickly due to my intense schedule. Please don’t think that I’ve been ignoring your comments; in fact, I have read all of them.

There were some that I could not answer even if I had the time, but I have forwarded your feedback to the right people. For example, I have discussed your comments on the hit-stun with the game system director Takizawa (Together with Sun, he’s one of my closer colleagues in the team). However, whether he’s gonna do something about it is another matter altogether. We listen to feedback but we have a vision to express as well. Just leave the balance to us!

Also, don’t forget that there’s another Active Time Report live from London this Thursday, February March 26th (edit: fixed) 11:00 PM GST. Not only will it be delivered in English, we will show some info that I’m sure you wouldn’t want to miss!

Here’s your friendly local time clock, as usual.

I think I’ll post one or two more times before I leave for Boston, but for now I gotta get back to work. Wish me all the best. Over and out!

chozen

I agree when it comes to bosses in action games/KH my combo finisher dished out a good amount of damage. Just doing Break then Rush seems boring and will make bosses long and annoying..

chozen

"However, whether he’s gonna do something about it is another matter altogether."

Wheres the Noctis facepalm gif? Ty Haz for trying.

SPAW

There were some that I could not answer even if I had the time, but I have forwarded your feedback to the right people. For example, I have discussed your comments on the hit-stun with the game system director Takizawa (Together with Sun, he’s one of my closer colleagues in the team). However, whether he’s gonna do something about it is another matter altogether.

Good, let's actually experience this system ourselves before jumping the gun and start clamoring for it's removal.

wmlk

I don't think they should be changing anything in the demo until we've all played the demo.

Yeah, I'll leave that to the rest since I won't play the demo. I want to play the optimal version at release.

I think there's a major problem which is the interpretation of the feedback. It's not necessarily the hit-stun, but more so the slowdown if you want to be specific.

I think everyone's accustomed to saying "hitstun" at this point that skeptics may be communicating that information wrong.

Think outside of the box. Sure the "real game" lies with bosses and stuffs, that doesn't mean regular encounters are not a thing, and they will make up for the majority of the enemy encounters in the entire game, like any normal RPG. Having a well-thought, powerful slow weapon for Slash actually sounds like a smart idea, and not to mention actually rewarding player for putting slow, zero ability weapon to good use.

I considered this well before I posted, and the benefit doesn't outweigh the cost to me at all. In RPGs ordinary foes can usually be dispatched in your sleep once you're of sufficient level, and making taking them out slightly easier or more efficient seems silly when you'll have even more options to deal with them in the full release- magic, summoning, whatever. Then consider that having your slash weapon as a combo finisher rather than only a killing blow makes the weapon useful against BOTH ordinary enemies and bosses and I really don't see how the killing blow system is in any way superior.

Exentryk

So there are two types of weapons that Noctis interacts with. The ones that go in the Break, Rush, etc slots and the Phantom Mode swords.

You CAN'T use ANY of the Phantom swords for regular fighting? Also, what the hell does "regular" weapons mean? It literally sounds like a weapon Noctis would have holstered before use, but every time he's fighting, he summons a sword. I mean, if he's summoning swords to fight period, why can't he just summon one of the Phantom Swords for regular battle. or rather, why the hell are there two types of summonable swords in the first place?? I thought the swords that swirled around Noctis were the ones he had equipped in the menu for regular battle.

And I could've sworn I saw somewhere that the swords could level up. What's up with the "rank" of the equipped weapons? That can't increase? or is it only the Phantom Swords that can upgrade?

Yeah, Phantom Swords and regular weapons seem to be separated out for some reason. We'll just have to wait till we get more information on why. We don't know much about the weapon ranking system yet either.

Dark_castle

Per my understanding, yeah Phantom swords are not the same as regular weapons. Regular weapon means weapon that Noctis uses for normal combo and weapon ability, which is based on the regular weapons.

No idea about the rank yet. They haven't go in detail about that yet, I think.

Just let the player make multiple weapon decks as they like and let them switch between mid combo. Do that and I'll be totally on board(although guarding seems a little too simple/overpowered)

Dark_castle

I considered this well before I posted, and the benefit doesn't outweigh the cost to me at all. In RPGs ordinary foes can usually be dispatched in your sleep once you're of sufficient level, and making taking them out slightly easier or more efficient seems silly when you'll have even more options to deal with them in the full release- magic, summoning, whatever. Then consider that having your slash weapon as a combo finisher rather than only a killing blow makes the weapon useful against BOTH ordinary enemies and bosses and I really don't see how the killing blow system is in any way superior.

If you can easily dispatch regular enemy in your sleep, bump up the difficulty option (assuming there is going to be one) to the max so that doesn't happen. :p

But yeah, I think you have a point. Remember to put that in the feedback sheet after the demo's out.

wmlk

After some thought, i'd like for them to change a couple of things: scrap the Air-related weapon (quite pointless when you can use the same weapon for ground combos), and let the player map all the remaining 4 weapons abilities all to the buttons, so you can use them together all the time. Same goes for magic.

And in the left corner change that skill selector with this window:
L1+R1 Phantom Sword
L2+R2 Summon (probably only one summon at time)
L2 Ability -> (+ Triangle, Circle, Square and Cross for each one of them)
R2 Magic -> (+ Triangle, Circle, Square and Cross for each one of them)

Keep the Items in the Battle Menu (so you can easily select between all of them without rushing), and add an option to switch "decks", that way you can be ready for every occasion.
Also map lock on R1.

Yes please. Using triggers to remap the buttons almost always works elegantly. You're freeing up four buttons to do different commands. Open that up for both Magic and Ability, and it sounds great. It still remains to be seen how Magic works in the game but it sounds like it should make sense.

I'm also not a fan of the Slash weapon. It's rendered useless until the last hit.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Damn, I'm not a fan of RPGs but this game is looking pretty. I don't trust SE, I don't think the final game will look this good... I remember FFXIII.

Koozek

Health regen in an ARPG, I've seen it all. Final Fantasy is the Call of Duty of the RPG genre

I'm curious, is going into a menu to use a healing item/spell after every battle your idea of "deep gameplay" or "strategy"? I'm playing Persona 4, right now, and I have to do the same repetetive thing after nearly every encounter: Open menu, click on Skills, select member, choose Dia/Media, rinse and repeat.

I'd rather have this mechanic streamlined or automated in some way (FFXIII/-2/LR, Chrono Cross, etc.), as it doesn't add any layer of depth besides the resource managment aspect, but that can be had in FFXV, too, by making Health Regen slow enough that you still have to heal manually or let AI heal you in tense situations where a lot of enemies are coming at you quickly. That way you save some time on repetetive menu chores when you're just exploring or fighting weak monsters and also have your resource management when in dungeons.
Of course in some games, like Dark Souls, it's part of the thrill to use healing items wisely, but not every game has to have the same game flow.

Everytime you change a traditional game design convention there's a way to compensate for it by designing your mechanics around another, new constraint. For example, a RPG with full recovery after every battle could make every single encounter more impactful and creative, as you don't have to worry about not using special spells/items because you would otherwise be afraid of wasting MP/items for the dungeon's boss later and just button-mashed Attack in normal battles instead.

wmlk

Health regen in an ARPG, I've seen it all. Final Fantasy is the Call of Duty of the RPG genre

There's no problem with it since the battle system clearly accommodates for that with difficulty.

Regen isn't automatically a bad thing.

Dark_castle

Damn, I must be the only one here who is intrigued by the idea of Slash. Finishing off an enemy with a slow, crushing heavy weapon. Though it would probably be better off if Rush doesn't attack continuously, but rather say 3-4 hit combo and Slash works as the combo finisher.

People are wanting this to be DMC? What? This is not a character action game people.

Anyway, the only thing I didn't notice people saying is that another difference between Rush and Slash is that Slash has tracking (a lot of tracking), you see Noctis doing a quick stab to an enemy right in front of him and also doing a lunge into stab to an enemy that starts running.. Where with the rush you can actually see him missing a few hits.

Also, if Type-0 is any indication (and this presentation too for that matter) you won't really be doing break>rush>slash for every enemy, as you will most likely be always fighting tons of enemies and will have to dodge and block too, or you will be fighting one bigger enemy that has extremely high poise and keeps attacking you. So the worry of "oh, big enemy I will just hold the button for 3 minutes until Rush has done it's job" don't really apply.

Giving a small combo and finishing with Slash would make the game easier, since you would be getting the tracking hit so frequently.

Can you elaborate what this hit-stun is? Must have missed that.
Look at the presentation video, people are complaining how at almost every attack you have a little slowdown when it connects.

Top Bottom