• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV: Demo Gameplay Breakdown (GIF HEAVY)

Dark_castle

dq4YhMs.jpg

Another potential, major game-changing mechanic, for the final game.

Alright, but show me how magic works.

I think the magic system will be simple enough and they said that weather can have influence on how well magic works. But the system is implemented for magic they just hated the way it looked at the time so they cut it from the demo.

raven777

I always thought it involved the jump button, but if it indeed require L3 to do all that, it seems a little too difficult to pull off, doesn't it?

well, they said those actions were freerun and on friday's demo they showed freerun is L3. Maybe freeruns for monster specifics are executed differently but at the moment freerun=L3.

I always thought it involved the jump button, but if it indeed require L3 to do all that, it seems a little too difficult to pull off, doesn't it?

It looks like this involves the jump button. I think the L3 has to do with free running on inanimate objects in the world.

Nice thread OP. That gif at the end should be of Prompto though (or Ignis). =P

Anyway, the only thing I noticed that is not there is that each attack seems to have something related to it.
Break seems to have high chances of stunning the enemy.
Rush seems to be an infinite combo, but there's no tracking, so you need to position yourself.
Slash seems to be a finisher (if an enemy will die with the next strike, then Noctis will use Slash) and this attack also seems to have a lot of tracking, Noctis did 3 or 4 different versions of this attack with the spear and all of them had different ranges (and all of them killed).
Counter is not just for parries (there's one moment when he's holding the guard button and right after Noctis dodges an attack he counters).

And that's it. The Counter one is the only one I'm sure, the rest is just me saying stuff after watching the video 30 times or so.

L3 dash shouldn't be bad. If you look at something like Battlefield or any FPS game, you click the stick in once and then you don't have to click it in again. So long as you keep running and press the stick in a direction, you don't have to hold the stick down. It's literally click and point, not press and hold.

Some PC games don't support this kind of movement if you're trying to use a gamepad when it's not supported (using Xpadder or something). They make you hold the stick down the entire time. Final Fantasy 15 will not go this route because it's designed with stick movement to begin with.

In short, there's nothing to worry about.

I don't know if this has a place in your analysis, OP, but if it helps Ignis seems exclusively capable of using cure. It's different from the revive as he is able to use it before allies are in the red, and it has a unique green aura. I saw that you mentioned cure in the analysis, but if anyone wants to fetch a gif or something Ignis uses it at 52:54 and at 53:12. He also uses it earlier but I was unable to find the exact timestamp. This ability seems exclusive to Ignis.

Likewise, Prompto seems to have his own utility. He uses a stop bullet at right around 35:20 into the video that freezes a garula in its tracks momentarily. The duration doesn't seem very robust, but it's evident. I haven't noticed Gladiolus demonstrating any special abilities of his own but will keep my eyes peeled.

EDIT: Sorry I had the time stamps on these completely wrong when I initially posted, or I was using an incorrect video. These time stamps match up to the video in the OP. Apologies.

Philippo

Great OP as always Exentryk.

I think it should be worth noting something:
At the time of last September and October presentations Tabata got many of us when he said that the weapon used in the attacks were automatically chosen by the computer for the best outcome, hence no player input or decision.
Now, thanks to the demo, we know how it actually works: the player basically sets himself the weapon to use during the various parts of the attack (opening, middle-combo, finisher plus counter and aerial), the system then "automatically" chooses the weapon according to the situation the players in, but in reality everything will still plays out according to the player (i mean, it's not like the system will use a different weapon for the counter than the one you chose). So, i think Tabata simply chose the wrong word to use in the description of the system.

Btw i too hope the game hs custom controls, i already hate L3 for Dash and O for Warp.

My eyes have been spoiled by Nvidia gameworks. I really don't know whay I expected the buffaloid hair to move like with hairworks and grass to move like with Turf Effects.

dq4YhMs.jpg

Another potential, major game-changing mechanic, for the final game.
Wait? So the translated ATR is out on YouTube? Where did you get this image of a translated steeam?

Forgot to say, but this is one great thread OP.

But can anyone explain this bullet deflection? Is it auto, and how exactly does it work? I thought this was supposed to be a feature of Phantom swords only but Noctis isn't using them.

TlML6kC.gif

chozen

I still think its dumb you preset the combo... So what if I want to do a full Greatsword combo only against a giant garula because they are big and slow? Do I need 3 Greatswords? So then after killing the garula i'm about to just run into a pack of those fast little dog things I want to use a full sword combo then I have to swap out all 3 greatswords with small swords? Why can't I select and choose my weapons individually manually and make my own combos on the fly. Pausing in the middle of combat and changing things is tedious and such a slowdown...

Btw i too hope the game hs custom controls, i already hate L3 for Dash and O for Warp.

L3 dash shouldn't be bad. If you look at something like Battlefield or any FPS game, you click the stick in once and then you don't have to click it in again. So long as you keep running and press the stick in a direction, you don't have to hold the stick down. It's literally click and point, not press and hold.

Some PC games don't support this kind of movement if you're trying to use a gamepad when it's not supported (using Xpadder or something). They make you hold the stick down the entire time. Final Fantasy 15 will not go this route because it's designed with stick movement to begin with.
In short, there's nothing to worry about.

listen to this man phillippo.

They only translated the first two active time reports..then they stopped...

That's bull crap, I mean the game we're buying for this releases next month so details are appreciated and I understand we have people translating (Seriously thank you guys for that) but when I want to show friends the videos it's awkward having to break everything down for them.

Philippo

I really hope Phantom Swords works like KH:BBS styles, with various iterations like high-speed+additional damage(the one we already saw), slow but with high-damage, defensive, support, elemental/ailments damage etc., that you evolve (more skills, higher stats and added visual effects) by collecting more swords throughout the world (by exploring, defeating strong enemies or as quest rewards).
They could become an awesome backbone of the player's builds.

listen to this man phillippo.

I read it, i just don't like that particular action mapped to the stick lol

so it's like the swords are the ones with jobs now? that's pretty nifty

wasn't there another rpg where you would change jobs depending on what weapon you were using? i think i remember something like that

Nocturnal

Banned
I still think its dumb you preset the combo... So what if I want to do a full Greatsword combo only against a giant garula because they are big and slow? Do I need 3 Greatswords? So then after killing the garula i'm about to just run into a pack of those fast little dog things I want to use a full sword combo then I have to swap out all 3 greatswords with small swords? Why can't I select and choose my weapons individually manually and make my own combos on the fly. Pausing in the middle of combat and changing things is tedious and such a slowdown...

Uhh, I think they should allow us to choose the same weapon for the different attack styles.

Yeah, I'd prefer if we could switch both weapon and style on the fly. Sounds a bit complex, though.

Squire

Banned
I wish we could remap the buttons.

O to jump, X to attack, Square to Guard/Dodge, and L1 To warp instead.
Everything else is fine but that combination would feel right at home for me.

I'm hoping they have plans for the trigger buttons, because having to press two buttons to trigger the ghost blade stuff when you could just as easily press one is dumb.

Nocturnal

Banned
They will need to move running off of L3. That's terrible control mapping.

No, why? You just click the button and control the stick like you do when walking... like in CoD/BF.
Assigning dash to another button is a waste, but that is just IMO.

chozen

Uhh, I think they should allow us to choose the same weapon for the different attack styles.

Yeah, I'd prefer if we could switch both weapon and style on the fly. Sounds a bit complex, though.

They aren't going to let you stay with the same weapon unless you set 3 types of the same weapon... Thats the idea your preset combo is what you will be using non stop unless you press pause and swap it out. Swapping weapons on the fly isn't as hard as it sounds you can see it being used in the e3 2013 gameplay with ease. Why would they make a design choice like this?

Philippo

They aren't going to let you stay with the same weapon unless you set 3 types of the same weapon... Thats the idea your preset combo is what you will be using non stop unless you press pause and swap it out. Swapping weapons on the fly isn't as hard as it sounds you can see it being used in the e3 2013 gameplay with ease. Why would they make a design choice like this?

No we only saw an icon for weapons changing in succession, but since it wasnt being played live we don't know if they were manually switched or it was similar to now, and that was only an indicator to keep track of them.

chozen

No we only saw an icon for weapons changing in succession, but since it wasnt being played live we don't know if they were manually switched or it was similar to now, and that was only an indicator to keep track of them.

There is a certain part in the e3 footage where he swapped his weapon of choice on the weapon wheel without attacking. So basically he prepped his weapon already in real time for his next strike.

Also there is another point where it's night time and his Break move was Break Greatsword, but he missed and then he switched his weapon to a shortsword and attacked again and it was Break Short sword. I'm not wrong, manual switching in real time was a thing.

https://imgflip.com/gifgenerator

KoopaTheCasual

Everyone's complaining about L3 sprinting being a pain, but what better idea do you have? Give an important dedicated input button to a simple sprint toggle? That sounds awful and a waste of an input.

Since all the buttons seem to serve an important function (I feel like L2/R2 is gonna be shortcut menu), L3 being sprint doesn't really bother me at all.

wildfire

Banned
Nice tutorial. I feel the explanations for the 6 attack types is too vague but I'll assume that is a consequence of what one could see through a video.

So how many different weapon classes are there?

Short sword
Sword
Broadsword
Cleaver
Polearm

I'm hoping for something like in FFXII

Daggers
1H Swords
2H Swords
Greatswords
1H Mace/Axe
2H Mace/Axe
Ninja Swords
Katanas
Spears
Poles
Uniques/Special/Omegas (Phantoms?)

Road

Great thread, nice work.

There must exist an option to save multiple sword combinations for Noctis, so you would only have to change your style (from full great sword to full sword).

That's basic or else it becomes the chore you describe. I can't imagine they haven't thought of it, especially after the XIII trilogy.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Great thread and gameplay breakdown, I really appreciate it.

I dig it, interest for this title increasing.

So how many different weapon classes are there?

Short sword
Sword
Broadsword
Cleaver
Polearm

I'm hoping for something like in FFXII

Daggers
1H Swords
2H Swords
Greatswords
1H Mace/Axe
2H Mace/Axe
Ninja Swords
Katanas
Spears
Poles
Uniques/Special/Omegas (Phantoms?)

What 2 handed Maces and Axes were in XII and what are you talking about in uniques, specials, omegas, and phantoms. You also left out bows, crossbows, guns, and measures. Also, aren't 2 handed swords and great swords the same thing?

What 2 handed Maces and Axes were in XII and what are you talking about in uniques, specials, omegas, and phantoms. You also left out bows, crossbows, guns, and measures. Also, aren't 2 handed swords and great swords the same thing?

I left out ranged because Noctis most likely isn't going to be a ranged character.

There are no 2H in FF, I just felt they should be in XV.

You find phantom blades within the demo (they're scattered and not normally obtained) and they're separate from his inventory weapons, so they're like Omega/Gilgamesh's sword, etc of sorts from FFXII. You can file them under their respective types I guess.

I haven't played FFXII in forever so the weapon types might be wrong but my point still remains. I want a variety of weapon types.

My previous post mentioning the stop bullet had completely incorrect time stamps for the vid with the fixed audio... apologies, I have edited them to be correct now. I did notice one other thing in the menu. On the status window next to party member names, you can see the names of abilities that your party members are using. Not new, but my observation is that pending actions are highlighted in black, as seen in each instance when Ignis moves to cure someone. Nice touch, at a glance you can tell if a party member is moving to revive someone else or if a party member is trying to reach you to heal you. Really emphasizes what Tabata said previously about seeking your party out on the battlefield to gain the upper hand against the enemy.

For an example of what I'm talking about, at 52:50 you can see an action next to Ignis' name, blacked out (presumably cure) which highlights itself once Ignis performs the action. I wonder if this will be used in other ways such as coordinating team attacks?

Top Bottom