• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV EGX Livestream

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get all the complaints about animation priority and what-not. And I agree behemoth isn't particularly fun to fight in Duscae (well, at least for more than 5 minutes or so).

But a little situational awareness goes a long way, and I feel the system was designed to have somewhat more of a tactical feel than you get in straight up action. Against goblins and wolves in Duscae I kept getting knocked down in my first few encounters. Then I figured out how to position myself, avoid over-committing to attack chains, how to keep moving, and improved my dodge and counter timing and had no problem. That was gratifying, in part because I learned more than specific attack timing, but also how to use my combat tools to turn various situations to my advantage. I like that they focused on that level of designing encounters and enemies.

It seems we more or less think the same thing about the combat. It has its flaws mostly in animation priority, but it has a lot of virtues as well. It seems that the crabs, for instance, only have an extremely fast attack if you are in melee range with them. Otherwise, the crabs scuttle up to you in a bum-rush that is a real tell to start blocking. Likewise, you have the option of attack the crabs from behind, blasting them with magic, remain at a decent distance with guns or other ranged options... There's a lot of good design there. The unfair animation is a pretty small gripe, but it is a gripe from me nonetheless. The behemoth fight left a bad taste in my mouth and I might not be entirely fair to animation faults I think I see as a result.

This move still in the lastest version?
It's feel like iceskating instead of dodging, i mean it should be more like Geralt in TW3.

If I'm recalling properly, this movement option is specific to daggers which heavily accentuate getting around the enemy to inflict blindside attacks. It seems really handy for that purpose. For other weapons you don't have quite as many mobility options. I could be wrong, though.

artsi

It's not that different having played it and PD, and if anything the crabs having such an animation is a good argument that a lot of the flaws of Duscae likely persist.

Which also had a very unfinished battle system. Only way to properly judge is by playing the most recent builds.

DieH@rd

Banned
tumblr_odvpnq5J7x1v6aj9do2_400.gif

Open your mind. Oooopen your miiiiiind.

BriGuy

Has anything been said about adjustable difficulty levels for the game? I have it on pre-order, but haven't been following its development too closely. I'm worried that I'm going to be rubbish at the combat and won't get too far unless there's a "I'm just here for the story" difficulty setting. The combat just looks like there's way too much going on at any given time for me to focus on.

sappyday

Has anything been said about adjustable difficulty levels for the game? I have it on pre-order, but haven't been following its development too closely. I'm worried that I'm going to be rubbish at the combat and won't get too far unless there's a "I'm just here for the story" difficulty setting. The combat just looks like there's way too much going on at any given time for me to focus on.
There's an easy mode and normal mode. On top of that there is also wait mode which slows down time in order to let you choose what actions you want perform.

JBwB

Just watched it (fell asleep before the segment started =.=).

They really need to work on the bugs / glitches / crashing. I'm already getting flashbacks to how janky the Witcher 3 was.

Loved what I saw otherwise!

artsi

Just watched it (fell asleep before the segment started =.=).

They really need to work on the bugs / glitches / crashing. I'm already getting flashbacks to how janky the Witcher 3 was.

Loved what I saw otherwise!

That's what the delay is for, they have a bit over two months counting day one patch :p

chefbags

These are so bad! Prompto and Ignis have the only decent costumes.
Just give me that Noctis Behemoth bomber jacket outfit already.

maxresdefault.jpg

CscaI7AUkAAF-Kr.jpg:large

Too bad it costs currently $35 for a handkerchief to get the code (this is the lowest item you can get btw) on a Japanese site.

Hopefully they add this dlc to the store on release day or a bit after. I don't wanna pay for a handkerchief just to get the best casual clothes around that we've currently seen.

OrionX

Too bad it costs currently $35 for a piece of handkerchief to get the code (this is the lowest item you can get btw) on a Japanese site.

Hopefully they add this dlc to the store on release day or a bit after. I don't wanna pay for a handkerchief just to get the best casual clothes around that we've currently seen.

Lol, I saw someone mention that before and I thought they were joking. :(

This is not how you do dlc.

Which also had a very unfinished battle system. Only way to properly judge is by playing the most recent builds.

I respectfully disagree. I haven't seen anything in the current builds that deviates far enough from PD to say that the systems are very different. The only elements PD is missing are some weapon types and party attacks; the rest such as Armiger, magic, aerial combat, etc. are intact. People thinking the battle system will deviate much from PD (touted as being a taste of how the final game will play by the devs) are fooling themselves.

artsi

I respectfully disagree. I haven't seen anything in the current builds that deviates far enough from PD to say that the systems are very different. The only elements PD is missing are some weapon types and party attacks; the rest such as Armiger, magic, aerial combat, etc. are intact. People thinking the battle system will deviate much from PD (touted as being a taste of how the final game will play by the devs) are fooling themselves.

Yet many who have firsthand played the finished system at Gamescom, PAX, TGS etc. were saying it's better and actually fun to play.

Lucreto

I am going to be cruising around listening to the nostalgia channel. I hope they add more through dlc.

I want the watch to be real.

Yet many who have firsthand played the finished system at Gamescom, PAX, TGS etc. were saying it's better and actually fun to play.

I've heard reports saying that Platinum Demo was decently representative. It should be clear just looking at footage that not much has changed. I'd say positive impressions are probably likely to be attributed to increased performance, a more reasonable idea of what to expect from the game and small touches like animation polish. Platinum Demo also came with a lot of baggage (the child Noctis segment) that tended to sour the impressions of those who played it.

I just wouldn't go in expecting something that plays much differently from PD. PD was actually a pretty competent demo if you focused primarily on the iron giant fight with mechanics that have been shown off in several videos by skilled players.

Too bad it costs currently $35 for a piece of handkerchief to get the code (this is the lowest item you can get btw) on a Japanese site.

$35!? I had no idea..
You'd think all DLC would be available everywhere considering the game is releasing world wide. Hmm.

It looks so good though! Not sure if I would pay $35 though.
Behemoth Jacket
Also, nitpicking here but I wish he had boots or different kind of trainers on.

It seems we more or less think the same thing about the combat. It has its flaws mostly in animation priority, but it has a lot of virtues as well. It seems that the crabs, for instance, only have an extremely fast attack if you are in melee range with them. Otherwise, the crabs scuttle up to you in a bum-rush that is a real tell to start blocking. Likewise, you have the option of attack the crabs from behind, blasting them with magic, remain at a decent distance with guns or other ranged options... There's a lot of good design there. The unfair animation is a pretty small gripe, but it is a gripe from me nonetheless. The behemoth fight left a bad taste in my mouth and I might not be entirely fair to animation faults I think I see as a result.

That's fair - I still think we'll get some kind of all-animation-canceling super dodge at higher levels.

And yes, the Behemoth did get annoying, though for me that was more the huge hp pool than his being cheap. I expected him to be a tough enemy, and having him fight with the speed/agility of a cat while also having devastating power was cool I thought, until I realized I didn't have a fun way to whittle down his health. I suspect the full game will go some way toward alleviating the latter concern with a full battle toolkit.

Aizo

Banned
These are so bad! Prompto and Ignis have the only decent costumes.
Just give me that Noctis Behemoth bomber jacket outfit already.

maxresdefault.jpg

Oh shit. I don't think that's a bomber jacket. Due to the design on the back, although it's hard to tell because the jacket is all one tone, I believe it's actually a sukajan. That means Square will sell that for like ¥40,000 someday probably.

Ran rp

Oh shit. I don't think that's a bomber jacket. Due to the design on the back, although it's hard to tell because the jacket is all one tone, I believe it's actually a sukajan. That means Square will sell that for like ¥40,000 someday probably.

cb964966.jpg

a87e68c8.jpg

.JayZii

Banned
PSY・S;217998689 said:
Aizo knows what's up.

Now I want somebody in this game to to have irezumi style tattoos of Final Fantasy creatures like that Behemoth. That's some "fantasy based on reality" I think everyone can get behind.

Masked Man

I said wow
For people complaining about the missed block prompts, if Noct is in the middle of attacking or in cooldown after an attack, he can't defend against an incoming enemy attack. (At least not as far as I've seen.)

That's fair - I still think we'll get some kind of all-animation-canceling super dodge at higher levels.

And yes, the Behemoth did get annoying, though for me that was more the huge hp pool than his being cheap. I expected him to be a tough enemy, and having him fight with the speed/agility of a cat while also having devastating power was cool I thought, until I realized I didn't have a fun way to whittle down his health. I suspect the full game will go some way toward alleviating the latter concern with a full battle toolkit.

I don't think this is a bad assumption. I may be completely making this up, but I think they may have shown a behemoth more recently and it had a lot more in the way of parry windows which I think would make for a more satisfying encounter all around in terms of melee combat. Just something where you can punish the behemoth back, rather than taking him down with paper cuts. Even without, magic and the like should help alleviate a lot of the difficulties I had. Since Noctis has so many tools in his arsenal I guess it's not necessarily a bad thing to have enemy encounters where it's unwise/inefficient to enter into melee combat.

Tyaren

Just watched the whole thing.

I hope this game turns out alright.

You sound worried. ;)

What they showed was actually great and I like the way it was presented to us by the PS Access guys. Imo the best and most genuine (as far s promo can be called genuine XD) presentation of the game so far.
There were however a lot of bugs and glitches that I noticed. The final game crash was the cherry on top of the cake. In other gameplay presentations there were way less problems...

There will be another stream by PS Access today, right?

Gurnlei

The special interactions between the characters has me excited. The race and the random pics Prompto took was endearing touches.

gconsole

Play the demo today. It is a lot smoother than previous one. But the image quality , texture and jaggie are really bad. It is like the game run on lowest PC setting or something.

Finally caught up on the FFXII, 2.8, and FFXV segments. It's always great to hear Hollie and Rob having their Final Fantasy geek on! Ignis giving Hollie younger Giles vibes is now seared into my brain, thanks, Hollie. FFXII and 2.8 are looking gorgeous, I'm itching to get my hands on some flashy KH combat again.

re: FFXV, I'd felt this whilst playing demos of the game, and watching other previews, but one of my biggest frustrations with FFXV is that constant quest pop-ups, for even the littlest of things. The Rise and Shine Run for example. Racing Gladio is a really cute character moment, I love the idea of it. I know it's a semi-training exercise, but turning it into a little quest makes a nice character moment feel a lot more clinical. Then the little quest marker over Gladio's head as he runs also felt a bit insultingly hand-holdy. I do recognise that it's a bit of a pedantic complaint, but the previous FF games have always felt clean and quite clutter free. It makes FFXV feel very 'gamey', for lack of a better word. I know a lot of games outside of FFXV do the exact same thing, especially for more open world experiences. FFXII did bring up a big '(Creature) Vanquished' for hunts, but because it wasn't a constant function throughout the main story, it felt more like a 'fuck yeah!' reward. FFXIII did the same for the C'ieth Missions (plus a rating screen), but again, it wasn't a constant function throughout the main game, it didn't bother me as much. (Unless both games did it, too, and I'm a complete hypocrite who has completely forgotten.) I wouldn't mind the pop-ups so much for just hunts, but it just feels like a constant, frustrating intrusion.

More positively, I loved the scale of the world, and I was surprised how much I enjoyed watching the auto-pilot drive with Ignis. (Plus Under the Weight, son!) It makes the world feel more believable, and feels very refreshing after FFXIII. The world feels very tangible. The Quay is stunning, and I really love the art direction for that area, the color palette is gorgeous. I'm also still pleasantly surprised how much voice acting is in the game, even for silly little side-quests. The Prompto photography is not as narmy as I thought it would be. The car chats are still great little character moments (though I still wish the actual localisation dialogue was a bit less hit 'n miss), and hearing Luna on the radio was a good little bit of world building. English!Luna>>>>>>>>>Japanese!Luna. Nearly makes up for English!Gladio. Help me, I'm on the Noctis/Luna train, Noctis being grumpy with the teasing was adorable.

Also, great, another game I can be shit at fishing in. Zelda, P4... real life... getting the fishing trophy in P4G nearly broke me. Don't do this to me, FFXV.

Vire

Enemies that don't casually telegraph their attack for a whole second and wait for you to predict what's about to happen isn't even common in a more hardcore action game with a great combat system. Ninja Gaiden and NG2 basically requires you to constantly block, move, and jump around because the enemy attacks are too quick for you to just sit around and try to see what they're going to do next. It's not a bad design simply because your preference lies elsewhere.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif
The problem is, Final Fantasy XV has shit input delay and is nothing like Ninja Gaiden in terms of response time/animation priority. 60 fps certainly helps too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom