• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV: Episode Gladiolus |OT|

Toth

Just finished it. Very solid DLC overall at a great price. There is an actual strong replay value as well. Plus all the lore tidbits (War of the Astrals! Cor's background! Gilgamesh!) add more to the history of Eos that I expect will continue to build up with the Prompto DLC. I just hope we have more Niflheim story coming as well.

Good game, SE. Let's keep this ball rolling in two months!

Wooo!! Finally beat the final trial. Also got 600k points on my first try in the competitive mode. Reaching a million won't be an easy task.

Not sure why people are praising a sub 2-hours DLC for almost $10.

Its 90 mins campaign with new music, new types of enemies, 3 totaly new bosses, 1 totaly new playable character, 1 amazing secret boss, speed run mode, and rewards carrying to the full game, for 5$.

In a world where Atlus and Namco sell costume packs for 7-10$.

You get crazy value for what you're paying here. I don't think this's even debatable.

wmlk

Its 90 mins campaign with new music, new types of enemies, 3 totaly new bosses, 1 totaly new playable character, 1 amazing secret boss, speed run mode, and rewards carrying to the full game, for 5$.

When you put it that way, damn.

Though what Atlus and Namco do is scummy, I feel like it probably doesn't even need to be compared. The value here is pretty good by itself.

I'm probably just going to get all the paid DLC at once when it's on PC.

HeelPower

You get crazy value for what you're paying here. I don't think this's even debatable.

Its the best SE has done for DLC as of yet.

XIII series DLC was nothing like that.

Let's call a spade a spade.Its good value.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Its the best SE has done for DLC as of yet.

XIII series DLC was nothing like that.

Let's call a spade a spade.Its good value.

Comparing it Atlus' Persona 5 DLC: http://atlus.com/persona5/dlc.html

Catherine costume set + BGM special set (4 costumes, 1 music) is $6.99. Comparing it to this episode is incredibly laughable.

benzy

Is it confirmed this dungeon opens up in the main game and you can travel there with Noct?

gegqlr.png

The animations in this never stop looking amazing.

Heartfyre

Really liked this DLC. The combat changes worked great, and I'm glad they filled in some necessary backstory. Love this interpretation of Gilgamesh, too -- he's too often comic relief.

LAA

Beat it yesterday, I liked it, I can see the inspirations from Dark souls, at least in terms of a stamina bar to block.

Only need to so it again to find all the items
..which I was trying to do the first time and thought I was doing well but must have missed 1 or more.

Also need 1 million points in score mode either. No idea how to go about that. First try got me around 700,000 and was going as fast as I could. Not sure you get a big bonus for using no items or something.

Beat it yesterday, I liked it, I can see the inspirations from Dark souls, at least in terms of a stamina bar to block.

Only need to so it again to find all the items
..which I was trying to do the first time and thought I was doing well but must have missed 1 or more.

Also need 1 million points in score mode either. No idea how to go about that. First try got me around 700,000 and was going as fast as I could. Not sure you get a big bonus for using no items or something.
There was an item at the top of the waterfall before you go down that I missed. Never would have seen it would a guide tho.
Also never realised that there's 5 columns in the area when you're first introduced to them. Always wondered where the one I missed was.

Jinroh

Come on, I reached the goddamn boss but I have only 4 potions, no phoenix down, and just when I thought I was done with him he gets a second life bar.

What am I supposed to do? Start over?

LAA

There was an item at the top of the waterfall before you go down that I missed. Never would have seen it would a guide tho.
Also never realised that there's 5 columns in the area when you're first introduced to them. Always wondered where the one I missed was.

I'll have to try for items later, got all the columns no problem, but the items are devilishly placed, ha ha. I read there was one at the very beginning behind you, which I'll be sad if that's the one I missed, ha ha, as I even went back to see if you could go away, but don't recall an item.

For the million points, I heard if you just parry a lot you can get a million points, so gonna do that.

dc89

Great value for money imo.
FFXV not the costume packs

Is it confirmed this dungeon opens up in the main game and you can travel there with Noct?

gegqlr.png

Love this, the rock formations are cool.
I've seen Mugearite rock formations in Porto Santo and they're incredible. This reminds me of that.

I'll have to try for items later, got all the columns no problem, but the items are devilishly placed, ha ha. I read there was one at the very beginning behind you, which I'll be sad if that's the one I missed, ha ha, as I even went back to see if you could go away, but don't recall an item.

For the million points, I heard if you just parry a lot you can get a million points, so gonna do that.

If it helps you, there are 48 items to collect in total.

Got over 1,000,000 in Score Attack so I've officially 100%'d the DLC. Very fun, I really enjoyed it.

Toth

gegqlr.png

The animations in this never stop looking amazing.

No, you can't. Unless there is some other way than walking to it.

Another nail in the coffin of that supposed update list a few weeks back.

Zakalwe

Banned
Sold my copy of FFXV so I couldn't play these as they release as much as I want to... looking forward to playing everything at once, really happy it's getting good feedback.

This gives me high hopes for Prompto and Ignis' episodes, not to mention the multiplayer if they plan to keep all of these additions to combat. Gladio fights like a demon.

Not sure why people are praising a sub 2-hours DLC for almost $10.

Some people here really do bend over backwards to shit on FFXV..

MilkBeard

Glad to see people are generally happy with this DLC. Good DLC is possible (Old Hunters!) but Square Enix and DLC haven't mixed well together.

The price and content is surprising. I hope they build in complexity with Prompto chapter. Hell, I hope these are consistently of good quality, and then we get a much-needed Luna chapter. Will probably not happen though.

Koozek

Beat it last night. Gladio's movement and attacking somehow feels a bit more responsive, but man, coming from the best ARPG combat in NieR: Automata, which I've finished two days ago (a masterpiece, whew!), makes this really hard to enjoy much. Still too many smaller issues. Camera should've been positioned higher when targeting so you can see clearly the enemy's movement from behind your shoulders. Guarding could've had animation cancelling, but I guess that's a design decision for any battle-system, though if it doesn't then enemies have to clearly telegraph their attacks, which they still don't do well enough here. In Automata you felt in control so much because you could sense every incoming attack even in the most chaotic battles. To be fair, Automata should be compared to the flashier main game FFXV, not this DLC, which seems to go more for the Dark Souls “guard, wait, hit“ style (at least in the one-on-one boss battles).

Was cool to learn a bit more about Cor. But the way Gladio talked about his father still doesn't feel to me like he's aware he's dead. Either him or Iris acknowledged it in the main game.

Hated the atrocious Rock songs, but the two Keiichi Okabe songs were so good. Dude just delivered a GOAT soundtrack again with Automata.

Nauren

I'm stuck on infinite loading screen... Any ideas? Full delete and reinstall doesn't seem to fix it. PS4 Pro.

Ruff

Beat it last night. Gladio's movement and attacking somehow feels a bit more responsive, but man, coming from the best ARPG combat in NieR: Automata, which I've finished two days ago (a masterpiece, whew!), makes this really hard to enjoy much.

Playing Automata really showed me how much of a fool I was for thinking FFXV's "action rpg combat" was passable :(.

I thought that Automata's combat was poor. It was really limited and lacked depth, with very few combo options. Felt more like a shallow hack and slash than an action RPG. I know it's unpopular opinion.

XV' combat can be just as shallow, but at least, for me, it's unique. With things like the holding mechanics, warp strike, link-strikes, the way they handled aerial combat, it just feels fresh and new and unlike any other game even if it has little depth to it. Automata just feels like a poor man's Bayonetta.

That's said, Automata's combat is more polished and responsive, so there's that.

Finished it up. Eh. I think like a lot of people, having just finished up Nier and not touched XV in awhile it's kind of rough coming back and highlights how clunky the game is. I don't know. It's really hard to say it's not worth £4. It's such a small price and the art design is gorgeous, the game is still a looker and seeing Glad's little side story is cool. Some really great music too. Not sure I'll go in for the Prompto episode after this but its hard to be too damning. Folks still playing and loving FFXV will likely get a satisfying hour out of this.

Just finished it. I liked playing as Noct better, without the warp it was just holding down circle until you won.

The last boss was tough, and I kind of liked the way it is
impossible to win without blocking 90% of the time in the second phase, reiterating the brains over muscle thing.

Why didn't Giglamesh help during the main story? sounds like he cares and is pretty powerful. dick.

Ruff

I thought that Automata's combat was poor. It was really limited and lacked depth, with very few combo options. Felt more like a shallow hack and slash than an action RPG. I know it's unpopular opinion.

XV' combat can be just as shallow, but at least, for me, it's unique. With things like the holding mechanics, warp strike, link-strikes, the way they handled aerial combat, it just feels fresh and new and unlike any other game even if it has little depth to it. Automata just feels like a poor man's Bayonetta.

That's said, Automata's combat is more polished and responsive, so there's that.

Few combo options? Have you seen the insane combo videos people are posting on youtube? It's no Bayo but it was never supposed to be. It needs to be accessible to fans of the original nier and keep the spirit of its combat style intact.

Few combo options? Have you seen the insane combo videos people are posting on youtube? It's no Bayo but it was never supposed to be. It needs to be accessible to fans of the original nier and keep the spirit of its combat style intact.

I did, and while it's impressive what some have achieved by such a small toolkit, it's still a small toolkit.

I also don't get the "original Nier" argument. Nier's gameplay was universally hated. It became a cult classic because of its story, characters, and music. Maintaining the feel of a gameplay that nobody liked is such a lame excuse for offering a shallower battle system than what's expected from Platinum, imo.

And, what does Automata combat has going for that not in other PG games, to make up for the poor-er combo options? The pod system I guess which is cool, and the underutilized chip system, and..? The combat here feels like a dumbed down version of the regular PG output, which is still good by its own merits I guess since PG are just that brilliant, but feel underwhelming for someone accustomed to thier games. I mean, I can just play Bayonetta 2 and play a very similar game, but way, way deeper.

Top Bottom