• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV: Game Informer's article info roundup

.JayZii

Banned
It was big enough that they sliced it out of the game, and made a movie about it.

You can't simply start the biggest game they've ever made with all the most exciting things happening off screen. And the invasion and destruction of a massive city(the plot of the movie) is a pretty hard concept to top.
I think they are familiar enough with the content to know what could and couldn't be cut. Certainly more so than you. You should know that nothing will ever live up to your dream game that is completely hypothetical.

notaskwid

Ardyn definitely feels more like a Reno character - someone who fights against the main party but also seems likeable and may help them out from time to time.

Hoping the hooded guy is like a recurring rival character, kinda like Vergil in DMC. Would love some 1 vs 1 fights against him as Noctis.

Maybe because it's the same voice actor and reddish hair :p
But I agree, definitely not the main villain or even a villain.

Squire

Banned
It was big enough that they sliced it out of the game, and made a movie about it.

You can't simply start the biggest game they've ever made with all the most exciting things happening off screen. And the invasion and destruction of a massive city(the plot of the movie) is a pretty hard concept to top.

I think it's a bit of an assumption to make it out to be the most exciting stuff happening, but either way: I think it would've played out as linearly as I supposed above and making it a movie might actually be the best choice.

Again, you're assuming you're missing out on this great playable content; I think you're missing a tutorial and some (sure, probably pretty good) cutscenes. That's really not that exciting to me, personally nor do I find its absence sort lamenting or holding over FFXVs head. It runs counter to what this game seems to be about, design-wise too.

Arden is chancellor of the Empire, and responsible for their aggression/magitek buildup. He isn't neutral.

Well then.

Why do you think he's the villain? We've seen him once. Are we even sure he's still in the game? Lot has changed since 2013. Our villains are Iedolas, Aranea, Ardyn and that General in Crystal armor. Ardyn is the Emperor's right hand, he's flamboyant, he has a sense of humor and he's even the head of magitek research. The Kefka/Gestahl parallels are obvious. Tabata even stressed how important he is and that we should keep an eye on him. It's Ardyn.

And considering how they've hyped the villain as one of the best ever, I think they'd absolutely do an expose on him.

A lot has changed but, if cut, the hooded man would be the first character(shown to thw public) in this game's history to be wholly removed. I think Tabata would stick him in somewhere, even if his (unseen) role has been substantially changed.

A lot has changed but, if cut, the hooded man would be the first character(shown to thw public) in this game's history to be wholly removed.

I mean people thought the black hair girl (Gentiana) was cut until they showed her later on. Same goes with the dragoon lady (Aranea) the hooded guy will eventually appear. I'm sure Tabata confirmed him during one of the ATR's.

I mean people thought the black hair girl (Gentiana) was cut until they showed her later on. Same goes with the dragoon lady (Aranea) the hooded guy will eventually appear. I'm sure Tabata confirmed him during one of the ATR's.

I remember him doing it but that we would need to wait to hear about him. My guess is either in this month sometime or at E3

Arden is chancellor of the Empire, and responsible for their aggression/magitek buildup. He isn't neutral.

I have a bit of a feeling he isn't on anyone's side despite that. Not neutral either, but I think he's got an idea of his own that he's using his position to further. The small interaction with Noctis and co just gave me a feeling he's playing everyone, even if he's not the real threat.

Hearing this Heart of Gold song for the first time, and I would have preferred this over the Florence cover tbh. This isn't my preferred genre of music yet I've had it on repeat for about 40 minutes lol

A lot has changed but, if cut, the hooded man would be the first character(shown to thw public) in this game's history to be wholly removed. I think Tabata would stick him in somewhere, even if his (unseen) role has been substantially changed.

It just seems painfully obvious to me Ardyn is the villain. Tabata, a huge FFVI fan, directly compared him to Kefka, said he was incredibly important, has some of the most screen time of anyone in FFXV or Kingsglaive, and singled him out as someone to be watched due to his importance. This is all after Tabata said "Im gonna talk about the villain soon". Then we get a huge info dump on Ardyn and Nilfheim. With his supposed sinister humor and all his involvement with magitek, I don't see how people still think it's generic mysterious hooded dude we know nothing about, or if he even still exists. If he does, I'm guessing he's a family member of Luna, not a villain.

I have a bit of a feeling he isn't on anyone's side despite that. Not neutral either, but I think he's got an idea of his own that he's using his position to further. The small interaction with Noctis and co just gave me a feeling he's playing everyone, even if he's not the real threat.

Seemed like he's prepping to stab them in the back, to me.

Hearing this Heart of Gold song for the first time, and I would have preferred this over the Florence cover tbh. This isn't my preferred genre of music yet I've had it on repeat for about 40 minutes lol

Well it is a goddamn classic! Really love the guitar in it, something about the tone....

Styles

Lord Tabata was not kidding when he said the media blowout would start after the Uncovered event. King of keeping his promise!
a3fdf692.gif

Walpurgis

Banned
This sounds beautiful. Everything about this game sounds beautiful. No sequels is the best news because it means that FFXVI is coming sooner than I expected. I'm thinking at the end of the gen like FFXII now.

This sounds beautiful. Everything about this game sounds beautiful. No sequels is the best news because it means that FFXVI is coming sooner than I expected. I'm thinking at the end of the gen like FFXII now.

I hope, but what about VIIR? I know they're outsourcing some of it, but three full console releases could eat up quite a bit of BD2.

BD2 isn't making KH3. Neither are they making FFVIIr.

I know they're not doing VIIR-1, but has it been confirmed that 2/3 will be as outsourced?

Is there precedent for the KH team to pitch in on mainline FF?

Anyway, no one will be as pleased as I if XVI makes it out this generation.

I know they're not doing VIIR-1, but has it been confirmed that 2/3 will be as outsourced?

I am sure they are working on VIIr all at once honestly.

But they are just different teams.

But I would love XVI at the end of this generation. I think they could do it especially if they reuse assets from XV

I am sure they are working on VIIr all at once honestly.

But they are just different teams.

But I would love XVI at the end of this generation. I think they could do it especially if they reuse assets from XV

Oh man, fingers crossed. I feel we long suffering fans are finally getting our payoff. Just want the train to keep on rolling.

Oh man, fingers crossed. I feel we long suffering fans are finally getting our payoff. Just want the train to keep on rolling.

Well I have faith that XVI is already in production at some level and if this generation is around for another 3-4 years, with the PS4k I think it will be, then we should see another one for sure imo

Regardless if Adryn is the main villain or not I feel he'll be a fan favorite.

Of course, but the hoodie guy is the main antagonist. Adryn is just doing fiddles along the way. One minute he's helping the chocobros the other minute he betrays them.

DeSolos

FF7R is officially handled by BD1. Though most of the game development(as in not the creative side) is being outsourced to CC2. Not clear how they will handle the further episodes, but it's not impossible for CC2 to just continue it.

The KH team apparently did lend some assistance to CC2 since they're familiar with UE4 now, but they're not actually working on VIIr. That said the
former
KH team is working on a mainline FF game right now... It's FFXV...
And the ones left from KH2 have been working on it for a decade...

The current KH team(BD3 in Osaka) hasn't worked on a mainline FF.

quiet-dog

Neo Member
Reading through all these gameplay details and it seems like they're really nailing the core concepts of what a final fantasy game should be especially the comparison to dragon age and witcher 3, hype levels is rising.

Dark_castle

So, nobody wants to make a new thread compiling all the new information of the game? I would make one, but I couldn't.

From Novacrystalis:

When the team was starting Final Fantasy XV, the brand image wasn’t very clear.
Tabata believes the franchise can’t move forward without setting pride aside – he knows fans still have hope in where the series could go.
Tabata and his team at Business Division 2 identified three core qualities they believe define the FF brand: challenging the status quo, providing an exceptional experience and using cutting-edge technology. He thinks FFVII was the last game in the series to use all three points. FFXV is a make-or-break moment – a chance to bring back lapsed fans and new ones into the fold.
When moving to FFXV, the game disconnected from Fabula Nova Crystallis. Additionally, Stella from Versus XIII was shifted significantly and while the team tried to keep as much as they could from the original concepts they took this opportunity to shape XV into a full range of imagination.
FFXV‘s story focuses on friendship, destiny and legacy.
As soon as you start the game there is a battle in a location yet to be revealed. This is similar to FFII where you start the game right with a boss battle. It also acts as a tutorial before going into chapter 1.
Chapter 1 picks up right after the opening sequence with Noctis and friends on the road to Altissia. The Regalia breaks down in the region of Leide and the party has to get out and push the car to the nearest station. This is the first area where players will encounter the open world.
Early on Noctis and friends meet both Cid and Cidney and she tasks them with several quests while the car is being repaired.
Fantasy based on reality idea is still intact – at the Hammerhead station an instrumental version of Neil Young’s “Heart of Gold” can be heard playing in the background.
The beginning of the game is said to be heavy with familiar imagery before bending things toward fantasy and wonder.
There are dialogue choices in the game that leave to different outcomes. For example Noctis was able to ask his friends for advice rather than asking for a discount or loan from Cidney. The reward for these options seem to revolve around status bonuses similar to eating or resting.
Combat has improved since the demo – controls are more responsive, and weapons can be swapped on the fly using the d-pad. GI saw tabs for swords, daggers, lances, firearms, shields, royal arms and elemental spells. There was also a category called machines though their purpose is unknown.
Magic spells are collected like a resource and can be recharged at various places on the map (think FFVIII‘s Draw system).
The Regalia (the car) has a trunk that acts as party storage. You may need to pay money to gas up from time to time but the cost isn’t crazy. The car radio plays remixes of classic FF themes such as “Final Fantasy.”
On your way to a destination, Prompto may ask to stop and take a photo. His pictures can be seen during camp and can be shared on social media. Should you continue to take pictures with Prompto his photography skills will improve.
All four of the main characters have special talents – Noctis can fish, Ignis can cook and Gladio has survival instincts – and all of these can be “leveled up” by continued play.
When you call a summon they won’t always do the same thing. They are entities that exist in the world itself. So depending on the situation they will do different things. For example, Titan sometimes will run up and hit an enemy, sometimes he will throw boulders at the enemy and it’s possible he will even give up and leave the battle. They will also act differently in a dungeon than they will in the overworld.
The black dog seen in trailers is a faithful servant. Its name is Umbra.
Noctis and friends encounter Niflheim’s Ardyn fairly early on while en route to Altissia.
There are four quest types: for fun (fishing/chocobo racing), main story, monster hunts and regional quests. Currently there are over 200 quests in the game but the team are working to add more.
Later on you can synthesize magic to create more powerful versions like Blizzara.
Weapons can also be improved with materials collected in the world and won from battles. The main way to improve yourself, however, is through ability points which accumulate as you level up.
You have the choice on how you upgrade Noctis and his companions like strengthening auto-dodge or teaching them new commands. It’s an effort to shape the player’s play style.
Luna is the presence that supports Noctis in order for him to fulfill his destiny. She’s also the type of heroine you want to meet but can’t quite reach.
Tabata has no intention to create sequels or anything out of this. He wants people to purchase the game to be able to enjoy it for a long period of time. That doesn’t necessarily just mean additional content but other things to create an interesting experience.

Edit: Never mind.

Mortemis

Banned
FF7R is officially handled by BD1. Though most of the game development(as in not the creative side) is being outsourced to CC2. Not clear how they will handle the further episodes, but it's not impossible for CC2 to just continue it.

The KH team apparently did lend some assistance to CC2 since they're familiar with UE4 now, but they're not actually working on VIIr. That said the
former
KH team is working on a mainline FF game right now... It's FFXV...
And the ones left from KH2 have been working on it for a decade...

The current KH team(BD3 in Osaka) hasn't worked on a mainline FF.

I don't think so. IIRC, that was the case back when this was Versus, but other than a handle of leftovers the FFXV team is completely different than the team that put together KH2. I think some of those guys left SE all together.

DeSolos

I don't think so. IIRC, that was the case back when this was Versus, but other than a handle of leftovers the FFXV team is completely different than the team that put together KH2. I think some of those guys left SE all together.

To be clear, "what's left of the KH2 team" is still on FFXV.

Yes some left, but you just need to look at the ATR 6.0 to see how many actually stayed over, and those were largely senior positions.

To be fair, the remainder of the KH2 only makes up a small portion of the team due to the fact Tabata's enlisted a small army.

What are some videos I should watch for this game? I haven't seen much of it.

Depends on how far you want to go back. Something to know is that the game effectively changed quite drastically at almost every showing of it. The more recent the footage, the closer to what we're actually getting it is.

Older iterations of the project if you want to see where it came from:
Versus 2011:
https://youtu.be/YiIx9VJWSl8
E3 2013:
https://youtu.be/IcUSXub_ypU

Fairly representative, but still dated trailers:
TGS2014:
https://youtu.be/WUyVRC52RZ8
Jump Festa 2015:
https://youtu.be/IbGVWbTr_Kg

Most recent:
Reclaim Your Thrown Trailer
https://youtu.be/CX5D4Fenz5g

Environment Trailer
https://youtu.be/HZYNC4JZ_2c

Meciu

All of this sounds so good! Please, let it be a success. After great FFXIV revival it would be a great thing for SE.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Too many good news, my head is exploding. These six months will be painful. Also the best part of it:

-GI has this to say, "FFXV isn't Witcher 3 or Dragon Age Inquisition in terms of your to-do list. That isn't necessarily bad because your quest log isn't bloated by insignificant or uninteresting tasks.....inspires a feeling similar to pre-PS2 Final Fantasies where there were huge overworld maps that made the setting seem authentic and enormous - even if you didn't find a quest every step.";

Though than I read the game has 200+ quests and I see a potential contraddiction here but well, we shall see.
What I really hope to see is a certain degree of freedom in developing my characters stats and abilities, something somehow always lacking in major jRPGs. I want to choose how to progress, which abilities to unlock, which stats to boosts and such...

chozen

Too many good news, my head is exploding. These six months will be painful. Also the best part of it:

Though than I read the game has 200+ quests and I see a potential contraddiction here but well, we shall see.
What I really hope to see is a certain degree of freedom in developing my characters stats and abilities, something somehow always lacking in major jRPGs. I want to choose how to progress, which abilities to unlock, which stats to boosts and such...

Did you read the full GI Article? They said you can boost your stats depending on your playstyle. You can upgrade the guards if you are defensive or go more offensive as well for example.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Did you read the full GI Article? They said you can boost your stats depending on your playstyle. You can upgrade the guards if you are defensive or go more offensive as well for example.

I just read the summary, I'm waiting for more details but cool to hear that. What I mean is that I don't want a linear (levelling system) progress and it seems I might get that when the game releases. Fingers crossed!
Also very AWESOME to hear the game features more covers of real songs other than Stand By Me. That's exactly what I wanted, a blend of realism and fantasy for this title.

Fardeen

I want this game on steam :( also can someone upload high quality screenshot of the general informer coverage. Thanks

This game looks awesomeeeeeeeeeeeee

Top Bottom