• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Gamescom Schedule, features 17+ 2-hour Duscae LPs and an ATR

I'm assuming it'll release in fall 2016, but part of me is a bit worried that even if FFXV releases at the very end of 2016, the game could still end up feeling rushed out because of the development reboot a few years ago, along with the director shakeup and all of the alterations that happened last year. I've also been getting the impression from Tabata that at this point he just sort of wants the project finished so he can move on to other games.

Need more Lestallum.

ddanhkrklq.gif

It looks great, specially Noctis, but those stairs :/

We have some idea and one name:

Cor- Head of King- Regis retnu (main guards) "The Immortal Shogun"
King Idola Aldercap- Emperior of Niflheim, came for the crystal and most likely slayer of Regis
Lunafreya Nox Fleuret- Princess of Tenebrae and seems to be taking residence in Altissia.

The old guy is a general of Niflheim and the purple hair guy in Reno :p

I friggin hate the names in some of these modern FF titles, XIV and XV be damned.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I'm assuming it'll release in fall 2016, but part of me is a bit worried that even if FFXV releases at the very end of 2016, the game could still end up feeling rushed out because of the development reboot a few years ago, along with the director shakeup and all of the alterations that happened last year. I've also been getting the impression from Tabata that at this point he just sort of wants the project finished so he can move on to other games.

I'm going in with no expectations for now. I was excited for this game for many years but Tabata really shattered my faith with his grand apology tour post TGS. Now that they're ready to promote the final product I hope they show things that wow me and convince me this is the game I've waited almost a decade for.

Philippo

I'm going in with no expectations for now. I was excited for this game for many years but Tabata really shattered my faith with his grand apology tour post TGS. Now that they're ready to promote the final product I hope they show things that wow me and convince me this is the game I've waited almost a decade for.

Well before you said this:

I've heard a few things but most of it's been vague so I can't say for sure if it's being shown yet or not.

Is it something that classifies as "wow" material?

Also, do you know if we're only getting a new trailer out of this? Seems disappointing for an hour long ATR. SOme small gameplay clips like last TGS would be great.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Well before you said this:

Is it something that classifies as "wow" material?

Also, do you know if we're only getting a new trailer out of this? Seems disappointing for an hour long ATR. SOme small gameplay clips like last TGS would be great.

Words and visuals are two different things.

I've played at least one game by each director now since I beat Kingdom Hearts 1.5 a few years ago and just recently finished up Type-0 HD. I enjoy both gameplay styles along with Episode Duscae, but Type-0's story leaves me even more worried about how FFXV's story is going to turn out.

On top of that, I'm finally playing Kingdom Hearts II for the first time and absolutely love it. It's clicking with me a lot better than the first, and it really is a shame knowing that this was the original team working on Versus XIII. I just finished the huge battle at Hollow Bastion and started imagining how well that event could have worked as a basis for the invasion of Insomnia, only to make myself sad. =/

wmlk

I wish XV tried harder to charm me instead of wow me.

XV is a little too focused on being "cool" in what's been shown so far.

Oh hey, guess what other FF was like that!

VSXIII, actually. All of those trailers were about being cool.

Heck, the TGS 2014 trailer has less "cool" and more charm than any of the Versus trailers. Still, I think the two FFXV trailers are bad in comparison to the Versus trailers.

I don't think the problem is that FFXV is trying to be cool. Its presentation has intendedly been less "cool" than anything we knew of VSXIII because we're finally seeing the party dynamic and road trip theme for the first time. We've literally been shown the starting field for nearly a year now. That's the biggest problem.

Really hope Duscae isn't the starting area cause... hooo boy.

Why? Have we just decided Duscae sucks or something? It's hardly the world's most exciting area, but it still looks nice.

I'm virtually positive it won't be *the* starting area, and that it's more likely to be a very early one that eases you into the game.

Really hope Duscae isn't the starting area cause... hooo boy.

It'll be the final dungeon, and before you enter it you'll be given the option to turn back(because once you enter, there's no way out). Once you enter, you find it is just one never ending loop. You get to the boundaries of Duscae and they just repeat and repeat.

Why? Have we just decided Duscae sucks or something? It's hardly the world's most exciting area, but it still looks nice.

I'm sure she means because people already spent a lot of time there in the demo and it'd kind of suck to start right there and have to get through all of that again right off the bat.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

I'm virtually positive it won't be *the* starting area, and that it's more likely to be a very early one that eases you into the game.

Because from a level design standpoint it's boring?

I thought they said it was a bit later in the game at least?

That sounds vaguely familiar, but I can't recall what Tabata exactly said.

Originally Nomura planned to start the game with Noctis escaping Insomnia during the invasion and then journeying out of the city. Considering that Noctis and co. are no longer in the city when the invasion happens and they hear news about the peace signing on the radio in the TGS trailer (before the invasion begins), I wouldn't be surprised if Duscae ends up being the first area.

Squire

Banned

When you're dealing with open-world design, that's not enough. Duscae doesn't really cut it at least as far as the demo is concerned. I would be disappointed to have to spend too many hours there.

I don't even really agree that it looks good, actually. It's not visually interesting in the slightest. It never has been, it just does s decent job demonstrating the scale they're going for with the environments.

artsi

I don't think Duscae (at least the demo environment) is the starting area since they have met Cid and Cindy before somewhere. But who knows how far their shop is though.

Anyway I'm just 100% hyped for the game personally, can't bring myself to worry about anything after enjoying Episode Duscae. If it takes time to complete then it does.

wmlk

The game likely starts in Insomnia, still. Tabata said that they leave Insomnia and then the invasion takes place.

I definitely think it's the first field you go through, though. I really do think Duscae functions well for a starting area and I wouldn't be upset if that's the case. The game should only become more interesting in design from then on. The whole fantasy/reality spectrum.

Ray Down

Banned
The game likely starts in Insomnia, still. Tabata said that they leave Insomnia and then the invasion takes place.

I agree that Insomnia will most likely be the starting area.

Yeah, they leave once they learn that Titan might be awake and are sent to investigate.

Mcdohl

Because from a level design standpoint it's boring?

I wouldn't go that far as to call it boring, it does need some work though.

Nevertheless, I am assuming the intro sequence will be something more bombastic and action-oriented to wow and hook the player.

Duscae looks like the first area after the intro, once the player is comfortable with the game.

Top Bottom