• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Gamescom Schedule, features 17+ 2-hour Duscae LPs and an ATR

At the risk of being crucified by SquareGAF again....

No way in hell is this game coming out before 2017

*shrug* We don't really have considerable evidence either way, but I think it's highly unlikely that Square would begin their primary marketing campaign for a game which is over a year out.

TBH I forget what your exact arguments were, but I think you're mistaking elements being not polished and therefore not included for elements being not planned or not implemented. For instance, we aren't seeing the magic system because the visual effects on the magic aren't good enough for Tabata to feel comfortable displaying them - the system has been designed, assets created, programming, animation, sound effects, etc.

theofficefan99

*shrug* We don't really have considerable evidence either way, but I think it's highly unlikely that Square would begin their primary marketing campaign for a game which is over a year out.

TBH I forget what your exact arguments were, but I think you're mistaking elements being not polished and therefore not included for elements being not planned or not implemented. For instance, we aren't seeing the magic system because the visual effects on the magic aren't good enough for Tabata to feel comfortable displaying them - the system has been designed, assets created, programming, animation, sound effects, etc.

I guess we'll be able to judge just how far along the game is next week. Expecting a release window.

KupoNut

Considering how boring and filler the last 2 ATRs are, I really hope they have some substantial new info to share this time. Would suck if we didn't get a release window and only an extended Jump Festa trailer and a "please look forward to Tokyo Game Show"

Go_Ly_Dow

We knew key details about DQXI before it was revealed. All from 2ch.

I don't think there's anyone to trust when it comes to FFXV. It's a weird game.

lol who? Isn't Verendus banned?

He's banned for trolling in DQ threads a few weeks ago, not for wrong information.

Not Verendus.

Kagari has been saying since TGS 2014 that a fall/holiday 2016 release has been the goal for a while. The info she receives is also subject to change but not made up.

Didnt they say that the official website will launch when gamescom begins? Expecting a big show up.

Never heard this myself but hope so!

Go_Ly_Dow

the biggest change from when Nomura was director.

"As the trailer suggests, Final Fantasy XV will ultimately culminate in one final climax, but we plan to continue the larger saga. We hope to make an extraordinary tale, and although we thought about dropping this extravagant story idea, in the end we felt it was best to make a continuing saga.
We will announce how this saga will continue at a later date."

I can imagine this is why surface elements of the scenario have been changed.

Asd202

"As the trailer suggests, Final Fantasy XV will ultimately culminate in one final climax, but we plan to continue the larger saga. We hope to make an extraordinary tale, and although we thought about dropping this extravagant story idea, in the end we felt it was best to make a continuing saga.

In the end they dropped it.

chozen

NOOOO BRING IT BACK, I know XV isn't even out yet but I know I will want more from this world down the line. So many years of waiting, I don't want it to be a one and done deal. Unless it will be extra satisfying and makes me say "Worth" by the end.

Go_Ly_Dow

NOOOO BRING IT BACK, I know XV isn't even out yet but I know I will want more from this world down the line. So many years of waiting, I don't want it to be a one and done deal. Unless it will be extra satisfying and makes me say "Worth" by the end.

Completely opposite here.

Can't you see Square suck bad at making sequels? X-2, Revant Wings, XIII-2.

All making the original games stories so much more convoluted.

Piers

Hurray. LPs.
stewie-gun-suicide-o.gif

Ray Down

Banned

Agreed.

If you are going to make direct squeals to JRPG's, they need to make sense in the story/world have a good setup for a sequel.

13 sequels are clearly they had no idea what they were doing and they just made a sequel to make a sequel it was never intended to be more.

Plus, considering we REALLY don't know much about FFXV's world, it's kinda early to want a proposed sequel. If you finish the game and feel that way, that's understandable. You've played through the entire game and were enthralled by the experience, the characters and travels to the world that forms the very base to you wanting more. We really haven't even be properly introduced to the game itself(Gamescom is supposed to do that). Sure, we got the bits of info here and there, and Episode Duscae, but nothing more than that. That's like reading the early FFVII info(than introduced us to Cloud, Barret and Aerith), playing the Tobal No.1 Demo and saying, "I want a SEQUEL already!!".

chozen

Kingdom hearts 1 and 2 aren't good examples? If he doesn't do side games like an XV game on handhelds it could go well. Tetsuyas sequels are not to be compared to X and X-2 or the XIII Saga lol, I only see hype for Kingdom Hearts 3. I wouldn't automatically rule out sequels.

Go_Ly_Dow

Kingdom hearts 1 and 2 aren't good examples? If he doesn't do side games like an XV game on handhelds it could go well. Tetsuyas sequels are not to be compared to X and X-2 or the XIII Saga lol, I only see hype for Kingdom Hearts 3. I wouldn't automatically rule out sequels.

Kingdom Hearts definitely works well as a Saga.

But with Final Fantasy I have personally always enjoyed the 1 grand saga that we got in 1-9. Even 10 is perfectly fine as a standalone game.

Also its nice to see them move on sooner rather than later to the next adventure.

The gap between X>XII, XII>XIII, XIII> XV is too much.

Whompa02

I highly doubt they would they would release XV and leave it at that. For better or worse, almost all FF fans have gotten extensions in some form.

chozen

Kingdom Hearts definitely works well as a Saga.

But with Final Fantasy I have personally always enjoyed the 1 grand saga that we got in 1-9. Even 10 is perfectly fine as a standalone game.

Also its nice to see them move on sooner rather than later to the next adventure.

The gap between X>XII, XII>XIII, XIII> XV is too much.

"World of versus epic" like Why would they spend all this time and money on creating all these HD assets, animations, luminous, and of course the big world that is XV potentially one of the biggest worlds in single player RPG history, just to get rid of them after one game. Tetsuya always wanted XV or Versus to be his own KH esque series BUT in the FF franchise as a side series. He made it seem like it would be the new 7 compilation or something for the new generation. He could finish KH3 and FF7 Remake, Move onto his FF5 and 6 remakes so he says he wants to do, and also direct the XV Sequels if its big enough and gets enough positive reception. While other teams start working on future games, and I don't doubt XVI is being made right now.

I highly doubt they would they would release XV and leave it at that. For better or worse, almost all FF fans have gotten extensions in some form.

I agree all FF games always come back in some way shape or form, big or small.

Socivol

Agreed.

If you are going to make direct squeals to JRPG's, they need to make sense in the story/world have a good setup for a sequel.

13 sequels are clearly they had no idea what they were doing and they just made a sequel to make a sequel it was never intended to be more.

Those 13 sequels messed up a completely fine story. I don't understand why they didn't just do a prequel during the War of Transgression with Vanille and Fang, would have been a much better story.

Those 13 sequels messed up a completely fine story. I don't understand why they didn't just do a prequel during the War of Transgression with Vanille and Fang, would have been a much better story.

They would've had to create too many new assets for that. :( I enjoyed 13-2 and thought Noel was a great addition to the cast but the story in 13-2 was undoubtedly wonky at best.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Look how ridiculously stupid the story of kingdom hearts got, just in one sequel they introduced clones, organization 13's convoluted plot line, a plot line that still hasn't ended, cringey characters like Roxas, etc.

wmlk

Look how ridiculously stupid the story of kingdom hearts got, just in one sequel they introduced clones, organization 13's convoluted plot line, a plot line that still hasn't ended, cringey characters like Roxas, etc.

I think the fact of the matter is that SE sucks at making sequels. While it's nice to hear that this is self-contained, I'm not counting out the possibility of a sequel with terrible writing.

I actually liked FFX-2's tone and overall approach as it took itself much less seriously from the get-go.

theofficefan99

Oh boy, that pre-order making things seem a bit more HYPED.

Just like the Noctis cologne right before E3 2013, this is no coincidence. Definitely solidified there being a release window at Gamescom. An exact release DATE would be great, but I highly doubt it.

Boke1879

I'd say a date at TGS is more likely but to me this reinforces we'll get some sort of new trailer and possible a "2016 release window".

Squire

Banned
They're the ones that chose to make the games GC appearance out to be this big coming out party. If they actually end the show without a release year than L • O • L

I think KH is known for having a ridiculous, over-the-top nonsensical storyline. Wouldn't expect any less from a game that attempts to blend Final Fantasy and Disney together

-Ryn

Banned
KH storytelling is almost laughably bad. It's gets on the earnestness of its characters emotions more than anything else. That poster is spot-on, honestly.
I beg to differ. Admittedly I haven't finished off all the games (though I've been playing through all of them on the remixes). But clones isn't a critique, a plotline spanning multiple games isn't necessarily bad, and Roxas is great :p

It isn't without its flaws (there can be crazyily cheese ridden moments and at times the melodrama is thick enough to cut with the Keyblade itself) and I would agree that its strongest point would be the moments between the characters themselves, but the games story is not nearly as convoluted or badly written as some make it out to be (at least from what I've seen). I'd wager the launch of the games across multiple different platforms and even the order in which a couple of them were released had a lot to do with the confusion people have had. The games could definitely do a better job of making the story less impenetrable for newcomers.

"World of versus epic" like Why would they spend all this time and money on creating all these HD assets, animations, luminous, and of course the big world that is XV potentially one of the biggest worlds in single player RPG history, just to get rid of them after one game. Tetsuya always wanted XV or Versus to be his own KH esque series BUT in the FF franchise as a side series. He made it seem like it would be the new 7 compilation or something for the new generation. He could finish KH3 and FF7 Remake, Move onto his FF5 and 6 remakes so he says he wants to do, and also direct the XV Sequels if its big enough and gets enough positive reception. While other teams start working on future games, and I don't doubt XVI is being made right now.

I've said this before, just because they've built the assets for FFXV doesn't meant they CAN'T use it for other games(like FFXVI, or a non-FF RPG). All they gotta do is rearrange locations, tweak the art and such. You could say, I dont' want to see games with where it's blatantly obvious reused assets, but this is a age where good artists can take specific assets and tweak 'em in such a way it's NOT obvious at all.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I beg to differ. Admittedly I haven't finished off all the games (though I've been playing through all of them on the remixes). But clones isn't a critique, a plotline spanning multiple games isn't necessarily bad, and Roxas is great :p

It isn't without its flaws (there can be crazyily cheese ridden moments and at times the melodrama is thick enough to cut with the Keyblade itself) and I would agree that its strongest point would be the moments between the characters themselves, but the games story is not nearly as convoluted or badly written as some make it out to be (at least from what I've seen). I'd wager the launch of the games across multiple different platforms and even the order in which a couple of them were released had a lot to do with the confusion people have had. The games could definitely do a better job of making the story less impenetrable for newcomers.
Question, have you played DDD? And no, a plotline spanning multiple games isn't bad, but it is when that plot gets incredibly convoluted, is shoehorned into every other plotline as "we were behind all the things!" and contains literally one of the worst written lines, in all of videogame history.
Me?! I'm already half xehanort!!"
Roxas also is a super whiny teen with like no charm, he's so awkwardly written and not in a "this is how teenagers are" kinda way. Hearing him say stuff like "I hate you so much! I'm not Sora, I'm ME!" is cringe city. And yes, the series being on as many handhelds as possible except didn't help.

chozen

I've said this before, just because they've built the assets for FFXV doesn't meant they CAN'T use it for other games(like FFXVI, or a non-FF RPG). All they gotta do is rearrange locations, tweak the art and such. You could say, I dont' want to see games with where it's blatantly obvious reused assets, but this is a age where good artists can take specific assets and tweak 'em in such a way it's NOT obvious at all.

I don't remember Square Enix ever recycling assests from a mainline FF title to another.

gosoxtim

Question, have you played DDD? And no, a plotline spanning multiple games isn't bad, but it is when that plot gets incredibly convoluted, is shoehorned into every other plotline as "we were behind all the things!" and contains literally one of the worst written lines, in all of videogame history.
Roxas also is a super whiny teen with like no charm, he's so awkwardly written and not in a "this is how teenagers are" kinda way. Hearing him say stuff like "I hate you so much! I'm not Sora, I'm ME!" is cringe city. And yes, the series being on as many handhelds as possible except didn't help.
Okay enough did you even watch or even play kingdom hearts 358/2 days then you would do as story and who he is and that one line is not worst line history and trust me I have heard way worst lines in history

I don't remember Square Enix ever recycling assests from a mainline FF title to another.

As Kagari said, FFXIV uses assets from past FFs. FFXII used the Mandragoras from FFXI. And keep in mind, YOU are the one saying Square should put to use all that effort put into Luminous, an engine that when completed, they will likely use for other games. Again, reused assets don't have to be blatantly obvious. A skilled artist and programmers can take an Elm tree and turn it into a Maple tree. They can alter the leaves to look one way, change the textures of the bark, resize the trunks, and so on. The end result could be something that looks totally different based on pre-existing art assets. That also doesn't mean new assets can't be made as well. Look at the reuse and tweaking of FFXIII's assets in FFXII-2 and LR. Some are pretty drastic, while other assets were completely new(to the point it gave that "world" a new look entirely, especially LR).

Yeah, this line is bad although it's true, but even Sora acknowledge that saying "That's nuts". lol

Top Bottom