• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Gamescom Schedule, features 17+ 2-hour Duscae LPs and an ATR

chozen

lol.

FF14 has stuff from 11, 12, 13 and its spin offs!

14 is an mmo and I feel that's a different situation though. I'm pretty sure they ported the lightning model in for that XIII event given it both games are made with crystal tools, but they couldn't reuse 12 assets without remodeling them from the ground up, same with 11.
I hear they are going to have an XV event as well, whos to say they can even port Noctis back to Crystal tools they might need to remodel him, so it is a different case...

As Kagari said, FFXIV uses assets from past FFs. FFXII used the Mandragoras from FFXI. And keep in mind, YOU are the one saying Square should put to use all that effort put into Luminous, an engine that when completed, they will likely use for other games. Again, reused assets don't have to be blatantly obvious. A skilled artist and programmers can take an Elm tree and turn it into a Maple tree. They can alter the leaves to look one way, change the textures of the bark, resize the trunks, and so on. The end result could be something that looks totally different based on pre-existing art assets. That also doesn't mean new assets can't be made as well. Look at the reuse and tweaking of FFXIII's assets in FFXII-2 and LR. Some are pretty drastic, while other assets were completely new(to the point it gave that "world" a new look entirely, especially LR).

I do not think they dragged and dropped a Mandragora asset from FF IX to FF XII, I'm sure they remodeled those back from the ground up because like I said different engine. Recycling is so cheap though.. I noticed every recycled creature throughout XIII they didn't even change enemy animations and the models WERE blatantly obvious. But I can bet I won't see any creature from XIII returning in XV.

Squire

Banned
14 is an mmo and I feel that's a different situation though. I'm pretty sure they ported the lightning model in for that XIII event given it both games are made with crystal tools, but they couldn't reuse 12 assets without remodeling them from the ground up, same with 11.
I hear they are going to have an XV event as well, whos to say they can even port Noctis back to Crystal tools they might need to remodel him, so it is a different case...

It's not though. Re-using assets is a key part of modern game development. There's a reason third party engines even have stores to buy assets now. SE takes long enough to make these games as it is. Can you imagine what it'd be like if they actually did it all from scratch? It has nothing to do with being an MMO, it's just a video game in 2015.

chozen

It's not though. Re-using assets is a key part of modern game development. There's a reason third party engines even have stores to buy assets now. SE takes long enough to make these games as it is. Can you imagine what it'd be like if they actually did it all from scratch? It has nothing to do with being an MMO, it's just a video game in 2015.

Do you think XVI will reuse creature assets from XV?

What I'm trying to get at is that I don't mind Trees, Grass, and Wall assets they can reuse those as much in future titles from the engine. However Niflehiem Solders, all the intricately designed weapons, cars, trains, gas stations, and all the Industrial/modern day buildings to be used in FFXV Would not be used in future FF titles just because they probably won't follow that reality theme. Those are the select assets and more that I probably didn't list that would go to waste (If there wasn't another XV OR a game that uses a setting that is similar) just because it's so different from other FFs and the asset itself would not make sense if say the next FF was medieval.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Yeah, this line is bad although it's true, but even Sora acknowledge that saying "That's nuts". lol
And during that same scene we had
one of the biggest anime cliches ever, a a zoom out shot of the protagonist with visions of all his friends standing by him i.emy friends are my power.
Stuff like that, what started out as a cute hero's journey through disneyland turned into an anime.

It's why i'm glad FFXV will be a self contained story with hopefully at most a secret ending.

What I'm trying to get at is that I don't mind Trees, Grass, and Wall assets they can reuse those as much in future titles from the engine. However Niflehiem Solders, all the intricately designed weapons, cars, trains, gas stations, and all the Industrial/modern day buildings to be used in FFXV Would not be used in future FF titles just because they probably won't follow that reality theme. Those are the select assets and more that I probably didn't list that would go to waste (If there wasn't another XV OR a game that uses a setting that is similar) just because it's so different from other FFs and the asset itself would not make sense if say the next FF was medieval.
The models are good enough that I don't think anyone would complain if they reused creature models for the next mainline game.

Falk

that puzzling face
Incidentally I'm not sure if any Final Fantasy has ever significantly reused assets (sprites OR models) even for the same mobs and/or Summons. This is something that only really happened with direct sequels like TAY, X-2 and XIII-2/LR.

Feels like it's a point of pride for Squaresoft/Square Enix.

edit: inb4 lightning is cloud's model

Dark_castle

You spoke, we listened.
We have spent months on these changes, carefully considering all the feedback we have gotten on the 2 biggest issues.

First, we have realized that Cidney was way too sexy. We wanted to tone her down but still keep that sexy element to her, and this is the result:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CLNG1eEUEAAvgyD.jpg

The other major issue was the lack of female party members.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CLNG1edUYAAzySu.jpg

We feel we have really delivered on the fans' expectations, and we are excited to hear what all of you think!

L. Spiro

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/932981-final-fantasy-xv/72250775#qp

oti

Banned
Every day on the Final Fantasy XV Stage presents a different YouTube or Twitch personality doing a “”Let’s Play” of Final Fantasy XV: Episode Duscae Version 2.0 with live commentary for the audience.

Eleventh circle of hell.

chozen

Incidentally I'm not sure if any Final Fantasy has ever significantly reused assets (sprites OR models) even for the same mobs and/or Summons. This is something that only really happened with direct sequels like TAY, X-2 and XIII-2/LR.

Feels like it's a point of pride for Squaresoft/Square Enix.

edit: inb4 lightning is cloud's model

Yes, thats what I feel it's a pride thing. When it comes to production quality Square is always on top and they do continue to show that. Pls don't bring up the Dog from XIII tho lol

HfbSj20.jpg

I'm terrible when it comes to converting time, so does anyone know when the ATR & Q/A's will start for central time folks? I'd like to see if i can take some time off from work, so I don't miss them.

Philippo

What are we expecting from an hour long ATR?
I guess a trailer and some brand new live gameplay could very well fit in all of that.

Fehyd

Banned

They ditched Crystal Tools in the FFXIV -> FFXIV:ARR revamp. Its a game specific engine now.

Although they've ported models from FFXI/DQX as well, so its not an engine specific asset thing.

dramatis

Already done in FF14. And this was noted a few posts above yours.

I do not think they dragged and dropped a Mandragora asset from FF IX to FF XII, I'm sure they remodeled those back from the ground up because like I said different engine. Recycling is so cheap though.. I noticed every recycled creature throughout XIII they didn't even change enemy animations and the models WERE blatantly obvious. But I can bet I won't see any creature from XIII returning in XV.
So here's what you don't know about game development: you don't create models in game engines.

You build them in modeling software (at this point, basically something owned by Autodesk). Programmers make digital content creation tools that work with the modeling software to export the models into a file format usable in the engine. That's how it actually works. Which means they didn't have to recreate the Mandragora for FF12 and for FF14 as long as they had the original source file.

Recycling is efficient. It reduces the amount of time and manpower required for asset creation. Projects can finish faster with the same level of quality. The first major Shin Megami Tensei game on PS2 paid off majorly as they reused its demons models and animations in 6 more games not counting re-releases. Six games in five years. In that same time period, only FF12 released.

What I think is that FF7 remake is going to be using assets from 15. The 'modern' settings are close enough that the teams can have interchangeable environment and mob models. Weapons, cars, trains, gas stations, the modern buildings, all applicable to the FF7 setting. Not only can the models be reused, the textures can be reused as well. You need to think about what projects SE has announced that are similar enough to use assets across each other, rather than theorizing about unannounced projects.

If the artists and designers developed their assets in a modular fashion, future game projects can save time and resources by recycling. Games can come out faster and they can focus on mechanics and quest/story.

chozen

So here's what you don't know about game development: you don't create models in game engines.

You build them in modeling software (at this point, basically something owned by Autodesk). Programmers make digital content creation tools that work with the modeling software to export the models into a file format usable in the engine. That's how it actually works. Which means they didn't have to recreate the Mandragora for FF12 and for FF14 as long as they had the original source file.

So you are saying the iron giants in FFX Thunder plains are what they are using for FFXV I assume. Cause they already had the model back in the early 2000s, just with some touch ups. Yup sounds about right.
If you really believe square is recycling then why is XV taking almost 10 years to make if technically they had everything to use from the past games, at this rate you are saying they SHOULD be dishing out games.
But that fact is, they are not. Like we stated it may just be a pride thing, they are not trying to be like the lower budgeted companies who dish out 20 games in 5 years (Exaggeration). I can probably believe the FF7 claim though.

dramatis

So you are saying the iron giants in FFX Thunder plains are what they are using for FFXV I assume. Cause they already had the model back in the early 2000s, just with some touch ups. Yup sounds about right.
If you really believe square is recycling then why is XV taking almost 10 years to make if technically they had everything to use from the past games, at this rate you are saying they SHOULD be dishing out games.
But that fact is, they are not. Like we stated it may just be a pride thing, they are not trying to be like the lower budgeted companies who dish out 20 games in 5 years (Exaggeration). I can probably believe the FF7 claim though.
You're not getting it.

Square has been recycling FF11, FF12, FF13 assets into FF14. At no point did I suggest FF10 assets have been reused; in fact, they lost the original assets for FF10, which is why they needed to rip the data from the pressed game. They even used a model viewer program made by a fan to get the data; doing that cost them less money than remodeling all of the visual assets of FF10.

You thought each game engine needs a freshly built model of the same thing. I was correcting you. If you still believe that, then you can keep looking like an idiot.

Square hasn't been churning out games because they are poor at managing game production, poor at producing engines that can be applied to more than one game, poor at modular design and poor at planning ahead. They are improving in these areas, and that means asset reuse will be a part of it. Asset reuse proves that they can develop and release games quicker, as evidenced by 10-2, 13-2, and LR.

The fact that Square Enix had all the resources, money, and manpower and could not even keep up with other companies with lower budgets is embarrassing. Rather than to make fun of those companies as if they churn out garbage (would you like to say that straight up, instead of pretending as if you weren't trying to insult them?), why don't you look at how they work and how Square could improve from that?

chozen

You're not getting it.

Square has been recycling FF11, FF12, FF13 assets into FF14. At no point did I suggest FF10 assets have been reused; in fact, they lost the original assets for FF10, which is why they needed to rip the data from the pressed game. They even used a model viewer program made by a fan to get the data; doing that cost them less money than remodeling all of the visual assets of FF10.

You thought each game engine needs a freshly built model of the same thing. I was correcting you. If you still believe that, then you can keep looking like an idiot.

Square hasn't been churning out games because they are poor at managing game production, poor at producing engines that can be applied to more than one game, poor at modular design and poor at planning ahead. They are improving in these areas, and that means asset reuse will be a part of it. Asset reuse proves that they can develop and release games quicker, as evidenced by 10-2, 13-2, and LR.

The fact that Square Enix had all the resources, money, and manpower and could not even keep up with other companies with lower budgets is embarrassing. Rather than to make fun of those companies as if they churn out garbage (would you like to say that straight up, instead of pretending as if you weren't trying to insult them?), why don't you look at how they work and how Square could improve from that?

Ok, so they lost the original assets for FFX and got them back. I still don't see them using creature assets from one new project to the next say FFXV to FFXVI, just cause. If there was an XV-2 I would be fine with that happening as long as it's in the same sub series OR if it were to be added to the mmo for events.

The titles you mentioned I know are just examples, but 10-2 and the following XIII games were such poor efforts. Explain to me how you claim that reusing assets allows the game to be developed easier so they can focus on story when.. the story in the sequels of XIII were horrid, and X-2 just devolved into a jpop, even if the gameplay were good. How often have quickly made sequels ever been good overall? Good games still take time as evidenced from past releases.

I wouldn't worry too much of Square I don't think it's embarrassing at all, they are constantly trying to innovate, more over than the smaller companies who are making JRPGS on a COD level basis. Even though we all lost hope at one point it would always be deep inside some of us to believe that the company that captured our childhoods, would make an amazing future for gaming, and it is coming to that point where the quality I see from FFXV is industry defining level no questions there.

Top Bottom