• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Impressions: Mark All Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to know:

Is the story really bad as in poorly written or is it rather badly paced ?

The impressions get me to believe the latter as in: there is not much happening in the beginning (save for character building) but it gets more intense and captivating towards the end, with the finale being very well done.

I can live with that quite well tbh.

The pace is pretty bad from what I've played. Writing can be pretty meh too. Although I really enjoy the interactions between the characters and it more than makes up for the lack of story/writing in the first few hours.

I didn't have any expectations for the story so I can't say I am disappointed.

hollomat

Banned
Haven't been this excited for a game since FFXIII (man was that a letdown). Took the day off work for this, first time I've ever done that.

Mifec

Please don't forget to include a futanari waifu.
The main charahter will get NTR'd a the Futa main villain and that will spark his growth, the main char will be either male or female based on your choice, gonna blow the VA budget. Gonna have Kanye West in it too.
Well Nier:A is getting an engine blade, so no reason FF can't get a Kaine cameo.

I appreciate you.

The pace is pretty bad from what I've played. Writing can be pretty meh too. Although I really enjoy the interactions between the characters and it more than makes up for the lack of story/writing in the first few hours.

I didn't have any expectations for the story so I can't say I am disappointed.

I just hope that it doesn't fuel the 'lol shitty animu story' claims that many seem to throw at jRPGs nowadays. Shit gets grating.

Tyaren

They really could have released this game a week earlier. :( So many getting their copies so much earlier, while in the EU they are all locked away in some warehouse for a whole week, when we could long be playing them.
My mood regarding the game also isn't getting any better. Due to all the bad news all the hype, that I cultivated for 10 long years, will be nearly depleted by the time I get my copy and have downloaded the huge day one patch. I try to not be negatively influenced by everything...but that's easier said than done.

Since people have conclusively finished the game by this point I have a question about character costumes.

Everything we've seen up to now is the black outfits (theres a few variations of these from what I can see) and a set of "alternate" outfits for each character, but in the most recent trailer (FFXV 101) they mentioned being able to purchase other costumes and they also mentioned clothing having stats.

From the streams / what you've played so far, has anyone seen what the other clothing options are? or how many of them they're are?

I'm a sucker for character customization and I'd love to know.

Gbraga

Well Nier:A is getting an engine blade, so no reason FF can't get a Kaine cameo.

It's actually getting some unannounced thing from Nier, right?

I really hope I can give 2B's dress to Noctis, that would be amazing. This game really needs costumes, after all.

Then we can have Gladio as the shirtless dude from Nier Automata. Eve?

Ignis obviously as Adam and Prompto can be a robot.

The main charahter will get NTR'd a the Futa main villain and that will spark his growth, the main char will be either male or female based on your choice, gonna blow the VA budget. Gonna have Kanye West in it too.

Ok.

The real question that's on the minds of the masses is this. Does Ignis ever stop looking like Adam from the Bee Movie?
Cx0KkgjVQAEsD33
Cx0Kkg1VQAEzvc8
Source

nikos

Just picked it up. I shed tears. A decade of waiting has finally come to an end. Will update with spoiler free impressions later.

Conezays

Interested how the game turns out. Perhaps spoiler-y, but do we ever get to play through/see the Leviathan attacking the city set piece that was shown in 2014?

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Interested how the game turns out. Perhaps spoiler-y, but do we ever get to play through/see the Leviathan attacking the city set piece that was shown in 2014?

Yes but looks much much less impressive . Less like Uncharted also.

I appreciate you.

Right back at ya.

Just got my disc from the dude on ebay

He put it in a Salem's lot dvd case... LOL

Ooh, covert Slim Tabby call-out?

Note from OG Lose Yourself:

Mom, I love you, but this trailer's got to go
I cannot grow old in Salem's lot
So here I go it's my shot.
Feet, fail me not

(Or if you prefer:

Don’t know how to cut it but this next trailers got
To take fans from “preorder canceled” to “straight-up bought,”
So here I go it’s my shot
Metacritic fail me not)

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I enjoyed the second part for different reasons compared to open world,but it was still great. Ardyn being much more present in several ways and the story picking up to a greater pace feels good. It's a shame locations the train stops to are so small to explore.

Let me tell you,finally we have a good villain again. Ardyn is so much better compared to FF XIII Barthendelus.

Not gonna lie.

I'm feeling really good about having snagged "Ardyn" as a user name over on GameFAQs a year ago.

Gbraga

It's important to say that the Leviathan setpiece was CGI. So it's not just a "that game is dead, forget about it", even if it wasn't, it wouldn't be as good as that.

Being CGI is much more important to tell you what you need to know than anything else.

Z3M0G

So this game suffers the same empty open world, storyless bullshit MGSV suffered.

So this is how my favorite series go out

If this feels anything like MGSV, I'll be mortified...

Both are also in my top 5 franchises of all time...

PowderedToast

It's important to say that the Leviathan setpiece was CGI. So it's not just a "that game is dead, forget about it", even if it wasn't, it wouldn't be as good as that.

Being CGI is much more important to tell you what you need to know than anything else.

yeah

it's important to remember they fucked the re-announcement just as much as the one in 2006. nothing in that trailer, even the cg cutscenes, has remained in the game

but it's not people's fault if they haven't followed the developments. square made their own bed in that sense.

theofficefan99

lol. I've been avoiding Youtube ever since people started posting that some people have the game in their hands. I wanted to rewatch a cutscene from World of Final Fantasy, which I knew was potentially dangerous. To watch it, I went on Youtube with my phone, squinted as I located the search bar, typed in what I wanted, continued squinting, clicked on the video, squinted to see if the first recommended video is a FFXV spoiler, saw it was safe, then resumed watching.

Probably going to jinx it with this post.

I'll never forget how with FFXIII I was casually watching some older trailers and then I checked in the Youtube comments and someone just wrote
SPACE POPE IS THE FINAL BOSS. FANG AND VANILLE DIE
and I was just like wow... fuck this and fuck people who like to spoil. Knew the game like the back of my hand by the time I had it in my hands.

In comparison though, with FFXV, I've been doing a pretty decent job. I shouldn't even be in this thread since I'll never know if someone will just casually drop a bomb of spoilers, but aside from that, I haven't watched the Judgment trailer nor did I watch the 101 trailer, haven't seen any of the post-Uncovered commercials, completely avoiding Youtube, along with other gaming-related sites.

/blog

Also, in regard to reviews... I really don't know if anyone in here can predict this accurately. Seriously who would know? The game's got flaws, we know that for sure. How reviewers will react to it, unsure. But seriously, every Final Fantasy game is divisive. I think we're just disappointed that it's not collectively thought of as the savior of the human race.

xviper

judging from the impressions, i think this is the MGS V of this year, amazing game but we expected more

i'm still hyped AF for it

about the reviews, i have noticed that in this year, reviewers have gone easy on games and started giving them high score, unlike last years

you got Dishonored 2 which scored 88, it's basically a copy\paste from Dishonored 1 with almost nothing new,

Forza Horizon 3( my favorite racing game of all time and second best game of 2016 after Overwatch) scored 91 when it is the same as Forza Horizon 2 who scored 86 but with more content, nothing new

Uncharted 4, great game, but how the hell does a walking simulator with a bit of action scores 93 ?

Inside scored 91, sure it may be an amazing game but what about Ori and the blind forest who scored 88 ??

Quantum Break who is one of the biggest flops of this year scored 77 and most people who played it agree that it is The order 1886(63MC) of Xbox one

sure there are some games who got horrible reviews like No man's sky and Recore, but you get my point

i just hope FFXV gets what it deserves because it looks like a masterpiece, just few more days until i get my hands on it

SomTervo

judging from the impressions, i think this is the MGS V of this year, amazing game but we expected more

i'm still hyped AF for it

about the reviews, i have noticed that in this year, reviewers have gone easy on games and started giving them high score, unlike last years

you got Dishonored 2 which scored 88, it's basically a copypaste from Dishonored 1 with almost nothing new,

Forza Horizon 3( my favorite racing game of all time and second best game of 2016 after Overwatch) scored 91 when it is the same as Forza Horizon 2 who scored 86 but with more content, nothing new

Uncharted 4, great game, but how the hell does a walking simulator with a bit of action scores 93 ?

Inside scored 91, sure it may be an amazing game but what about Ori and the blind forest who scored 88 ??

Quantum Break who is one of the biggest flops of this year scored 77 and most people who played it agree that it is The order 1886(63MC) of Xbox one

sure there are some games who got horrible reviews like No man's sky and Recore, but you get my point

i just hope FFXV gets what it deserves because it looks like a masterpiece, just few more days until i get my hands on it

This was a painful read for me. Disagree with your analysis of almost all those games and IMO they are totally deserving of the great scores regardless of what year it is.

Also what do review scores matter? *shrug*

Z3M0G

After 27 hours in I'm gonna say these two things for anyone who wants to start the game. first, Try to watch Anime and Kingsglaive. Second, try not to do a lot of side stuff in early game.

So far it's a solid 8 out of 10 game for me. For comparison FF XIII is a 4 out of 10 game for me. I have a lot of issues with game but the good news is the overall experience is decent. Sum of its parts is way better than individual parts. Tabata has managed to make a game SE and franchise needed. A Final Fantasy that both (majority of) fans and new comers will like.

combat is not just holding O but you can fight anything with holding O, some phases and strike-warping if you're playing on easy and rushing story missions. This is why I think game needs a hard difficulty for fans like me. IMO normal isn't enough. I didn't finish The Witcher 3 because after 40 hours mark I didn't see any challenges even on death march. But I can play Dark Souls or Bayonetta again and again and again. It's not a Witcher 3 situation again because at least boss fights and some hunts are quite hard (sometimes in a frustrating way) but for a game which wastes a lot of time in car drives and camps and stuff ( this is the reason I say don't overdo side stuff early on), winning most battles without real challenge decreases the experience for someone like me. But if the game was a bit more challenging in normal fights, You had to pay more attention to managing your stuff to craft spells, spending AP in Ascension and using the best weapon against an enemy according to result of wait mode, etc. I don't want to worry anyone though. I still prefer the deep, turn based FF XIII combat but FF XV has a great combat for a real time FF.

I'm not gonna comment on story until Thursday or Friday when I finish the game. Because ... I feel I haven't seen enough of it. However, surprising to me, I'm actually liking characters. A lot.

So far, Final Fantasy XV is definitely in my TOP10 2016 games list.

Ok, after reading this, here is my plan:

- avoid all side stuff and do straight to story objectives
- after I finish the main story, return and do all the side stuff to get more gameplay if I so desire

Is this possible?

bigol

Ok, after reading this, here is my plan:

- avoid all side stuff and do straight to story objectives
- after I finish the main story, return and do all the side stuff to get more gameplay if I so desire

Is this possible?

Yes, it's possible, you can go straight to storyquest ignoring side quest and you can always go back to open world to complete side quests, even during the final chapters, even in the last rest room before the final boss.

Spoiler regarding cities/towns:
The "there's only 2 cities/towns" issue is what is deflating my hype the most, tbh.

How, after 10 years of development, could they not make more towns/villages at least?!? It's a Final Fantasy staple - at least 5-8 major cities with a handful of settlements and villages.

Maybe instead of barren wasteland, they should have added in some more towns to fill-up that empty space?

¯_(ツ)_/¯

chefbags

^Deckard Chapel, you gotta provide some context on what those spoiler tags are (like chapter so and so spoilers) cause anyone can click them and not know what the hell it is lol

OrionX

My mood regarding the game also isn't getting any better. Due to all the bad news all the hype, that I cultivated for 10 long years, will be nearly depleted by the time I get my copy and have downloaded the huge day one patch. I try to not be negatively influenced by everything...but that's easier said than done.

After seeing some of the reactions, I'm kinda fighting that feeling too tbh, but I'm thinking I might've needed a little reality check so I didn't go in with ridiculously unreasonable expectations. Hopefully now I'll end up being pleasantly surprised.

Fbh

The only one with a truly awful story post X was XIII and its sequels. XI's is phenomenal, XII's starts out great but falls flat in the later parts and XIV has been really good so far. I think it's absolutely fair to expect at least some semblance of narrative direction and good storytelling here, especially given the wait.
.sorry, was talking more about the single player stuff. I have to admit that I haven't played the online ones (and I hear the stories are good)

But the story in XII was really bland on top of having the worst main character in the franchise.
XIII was terrible and it was 3 games and a whole gen long
The last remnant had a terrible story (though I love that game)
Kingdom hearts as a whole has a terrible story with writing that you'd believe to be a bad fanfic if you weren't actually seeing it in the game.

Square (Japan) has hands down some of the absolutely worst writers out of any AAA dev. Which I honestly don't understand given how they make story heavy games. And if you look at Japanese books, movies and manga/anime there are obviously talented writers over there so either Square has a terrible hiring team or they pay like $2/hour.
Personally I stopped expecting decent story, storytelling or writing from them a long time ago. Luckily I still enjoy their games for other reasons.

Skulldead

After 27 hours in I'm gonna say these two things for anyone who wants to start the game. first, Try to watch Anime and Kingsglaive. Second, try not to do a lot of side stuff in early game.

So far it's a solid 8 out of 10 game for me. For comparison FF XIII is a 4 out of 10 game for me. I have a lot of issues with game but the good news is the overall experience is decent. Sum of its parts is way better than individual parts. Tabata has managed to make a game SE and franchise needed. A Final Fantasy that both (majority of) fans and new comers will like.

combat is not just holding O but you can fight anything with holding O, some phases and strike-warping if you're playing on easy and rushing story missions. This is why I think game needs a hard difficulty for fans like me. IMO normal isn't enough. I didn't finish The Witcher 3 because after 40 hours mark I didn't see any challenges even on death march. But I can play Dark Souls or Bayonetta again and again and again. It's not a Witcher 3 situation again because at least boss fights and some hunts are quite hard (sometimes in a frustrating way) but for a game which wastes a lot of time in car drives and camps and stuff ( this is the reason I say don't overdo side stuff early on), winning most battles without real challenge decreases the experience for someone like me. But if the game was a bit more challenging in normal fights, You had to pay more attention to managing your stuff to craft spells, spending AP in Ascension and using the best weapon against an enemy according to result of wait mode, etc. I don't want to worry anyone though. I still prefer the deep, turn based FF XIII combat but FF XV has a great combat for a real time FF.

I'm not gonna comment on story until Thursday or Friday when I finish the game. Because ... I feel I haven't seen enough of it. However, surprising to me, I'm actually liking characters. A lot.

So far, Final Fantasy XV is definitely in my TOP10 2016 games list.

Normal encounter are somewhat easy, but hunt and boss are pretty hard ? I'm fine with that, from the video i saw when try to fight monster of your level looking somewhat a little challenging, far from a cakewalk. Any news of a hard mode anywhere ? Or Harder new game + mode ?

yunbuns

The "there's only 2 cities/towns" issue is what is deflating my hype the most, tbh.

How, after 10 years of development, could they not make more towns/villages at least?!? It's a Final Fantasy staple - at least 5-8 major cities with a handful of settlements and villages.

What Final Fantasy game has had 5-8 major cities?

VII had Midgar and Junon. VIII had Deling City and Esthar. IX had Alexandria, Treno, and Lindblum. X had Luca, Bevelle (which you couldn't even explore) and Zanarkand. XII had Rabanastre and Archades. XIII-2 had Academia and LR had Yusnaan and Luxerion.

That's only like 2-3 major cities with the rest of the game filled with villages and other varied locations.

Falk

that puzzling face
Square (Japan) has hands down some of the absolutely worst writers out of any AAA dev. And if you look at Japanese books, movies and manga/anime there are obviously talented writers over there.

yeah seriously

square should try something like hire steins;gate writer for a ff spinoff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom