• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Impressions: Mark All Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyaren

Hmmm. Are the smaller inhabited areas like villages or outposts?

I can deal with a poor story, I love some RPGs that are woeful in that area, but a nice sense of connecting parts of the world with new NPCs, new music, and shops/trader is always appreciated.

I haven't played the game for myself yet, by the way. It is just stuff that others, that have played it, told me.
There are smaller settlements/outposts/camps but they can't really be called villages.

These are the kind of details I've been waiting for. Thank you! Much of this is far more worrying.

My GF watched the movie with me and wants to know what happens next, but this is NOT a game she is going to want to watch me play. Since something of importance may only happen every 3-4 hours of empty running around... :/

It is difficult to actually take his post seriously, when his tone is so hyperbolic. A pity.

Dislikes:
- The open world is terrible. Huge and mostly barren. Its boring as hell.
- Side quests are 90% boring fetch quests (literally go to way point find a gold colored small orb and return it. Rinse and repeat) and 10% actual good quests. Also, you have to return said items to quest givers :( I though JRPGs fixed that shit already like Xenoblade Chronicles X and SMT4A. (Nitpick)
- Traveling by Car or even Chocobo is pretty boring and time consuming. I mostly play Pokemon whenever I travel by car since it can take more than 5 minutes sometimes.
- Magic is shit. I like the effect and its actual use but the fact that I have to go into a menu everytime to "craft" magic gets annoying.
- I will never understand them assigning X as the jump button AND the action button. Whenever I try to open a door or pick up an item I end up jumping. Its a nitpick but pretty annoying after 10h of gameplay lol.
- You can't fast forwarded time. If you go to an inn or camp you always wake up in the morning (from what I can tell since the Time menu is confusing as fuck). So you'll have to wait for mob hunts that are required to do in the night.
- THE FUCKING DEFAULT SPEED at Caves and dungeons is slow as hell!!!! You have to actually always press the sprint to run and wait between stamina refreshes. Ugh...

thanks for this. smh :) ...

PowderedToast

what i'd like to know is how much levelling effects the game.

in something more traditional like X, where at certain bosses it was extremely helpful to have certain spells, the levelling was very important to story progress

but with the amount of side content that can be skipped and the real time battle system, my assumption is that you'll never hit any kind of difficulty wall in the main story, right?

robotrock

Banned
Second part much more linear,you are on a train making various stops to reach Tenebrae. After the train stops you can explore a small dungeon and another tiny location near train station.

That all sounds cool to me. Despite it being different, are people enjoying the second part as much as the first part?

From the demo I played-
two control settings and yes hud can be turned off and on by parts
e.i map,running bar, weapons display, ect.

Question to those who have played the real deal,
is the link strike system still buggy, as in ignis,prompto,glad pop up or miss all the time when doing joint attacks?
I want to know about the final game.

Heard something of fewer options.

yunbuns

I love that game's aesthetics and adore its soundtrack .........

It is hot trash tho ;_;

If by trash yall mean one of the best FF games, then yes.
I feel like this perfectly sums up how wildly different FF fans can view games in the series.
I agree with Boco tho.

Is it bad that I haven't slept cause I want to keep on playing?

No, it means the game is entertaining for you.
Go get some rest lol.

pLow7

I asked this in the other Thread but got no answers.

Can you change difficulty midgame? I'll start with normal, but if i get stuck on an enemy after the 5th. time it gets tiresome. So is it possible?

KupoNut

So... does Final Fantasy XV classify as a Final Fantasy game to people who have completed it, and would you want to see more of Tabata? (or should Square pull a Toriyama and never mention his name again)

While I respect the man greatly, nothing on his track record (Crisis Core, 3rd Birthday, Type-0) has really convinced me that the guy is a good game director.

bigol

That all sounds cool to me. Despite it being different, are people enjoying the second part as much as the first part?

I enjoyed the second part for different reasons compared to open world,but it was still great. Ardyn being much more present in several ways and the story picking up to a greater pace feels good. It's a shame locations the train stops to are so small to explore.

Let me tell you,finally we have a good villain again. Ardyn is so much better compared to FF XIII Barthendelus.

They might as well release this game on Friday with all the early copies being sold. We all know that the copies are already at most stores as we speak. Anyways back to impressions I like what I am hearing this far. I kind of expected the 2nd half to be the real divisive factor in this game but I am sure I will love it none the less. Also someone posted that the jump button and action button are tied to the same button. I really hate when games do this because you try to open a door and you jump instead. It makes your character look stupid, it is such a videogamey thing. Oh well I cannot wait to get my hands on this game it has been a long time waiting.

pxwoy1dz3mpkebxp6lkg.gif

Mcdohl

Looks like good impressions overall, specially if you had realistic expectations for this game.

It seems like its on the way to be another FFXII (a bit more polarizing than previous entries, but >>>>>>> 13). More 'gamey' than XIII and that might jive well with some of gaf.

However, any wishful expectation you still have from the versus days...for your own good, start forgetting about it.

Massive disappointment with the town count of...2.

12BoM

WAIT is it the store that has the name of the state as part of its name? I put my name on a call list yesterday.... hope to get the call xD

They might as well release this game on Friday with all the early copies being sold. We all know that the copies are already at most stores as we speak. Anyways back to impressions I like what I am hearing this far. I kind of expected the 2nd half to be the real divisive factor in this game but I am sure I will love it none the less. Also someone posted that the jump button and action button are tied to the same button. I really hate when games do this because you try to open a door and you jump instead. It makes your character look stupid, it is such a videogamey thing. Oh well I cannot wait to get my hands on this game it has been a long time waiting.

pxwoy1dz3mpkebxp6lkg.gif

They really should. 6 more days to go for those of us outside large cities seems to be the rule. I've already been charged for my pre order but no signs of it shipping yet.

Grisby

Gonna start watching the anime and the king thing this weekend.

Hard to believe we're finally getting this and the last guardian this year.
I wonder when a new FF will reach the levels that the old entries did in the golden age (FFVI, FFVII, FFIX)
14 already does. It's the best FF since 9 IMO.

I dismissed 14 like a lot of people since it's an MMO, but that was a mistake. The main story stuff is fantastic and the writing is really good.

Add in some top tier FF music, a giant world, and the ability to change your main class at will and you've got a winner.

Seriously LOL what a weird but cool message.

"Let not all your fantasies be final." or something.

Yep lol. Also, I'm sure you don't need to be reminded but please be careful with who you share the location with. Pretty sure they won't sell it to them if they're not on the list anyways.

jtrov

eBay disc guy people - any updates? Mine still says scheduled delivery today but last scan was yesterday at 6:30pm in sandston VA.

I wouldn't say the tracking info is quite accurate for USPS. I got my copy in the mail yesterday and I was tracking the package while I was at work and it still said it was in VA. I get home and there it was, already delivered. Some times they just don't get a scan on the label, but as long as it's saying In Transit, it's at least departed. Hell, even the tracking info said my package was not supposed to arrive until today.

Was completely beat last night after work, even fell asleep while waiting for the patch to install, but I got about 2 hours in before calling it a night. I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far... To be honest, this game left my radar after the delay to the point where I honestly doubted I would get it considering the release window. But being able to snag it the week of Thanksgiving made it easy as I now have a nice long weekend to sink into it. Hell, I woke up at 6:00am just to get a nice long session in before work. I'm just enjoying the overall interaction between the crew and the way they set it up at the start, it just gave me that sense of adventure you get from most openings in a FF game. I guess staying in the dark about this game is paying off, because I heard a certain cover of song at the opening that just caught me way off guard in such an awesome way. It was odd to hear a song like that in the game, but the way they used it just really set the tone for these group of guys and what's to come, it just worked (on me at least).

Gameplay wise the combat is a ton of fun. Still trying to get a handle on it, because these new enemies with long range weapons are really starting to fuck me up. Going to have to watch some videos, because while I can take them down fine, I know there must be a more efficient way to go about their encounters. Also, I'm just having a blast driving the car around the world completing bounty quests and upgrading my weapons. Some of the most fun I've had is going out and scavenging for materials and magic.

With the limited 5 hours I put into the game I can already say my first impression is wayyy more positive than I could've predicted. It's still really early on, but at least I'm looking forward to jumping right back into the game when I get home tonight. Which is something I could not say for FFXIII sadly.

This weekend is gonna be good.

Yep lol. Also, I'm sure you don't need to be reminded but please be careful with who you share the location with. Pretty sure they won't sell it to them if they're not on the list anyways.

Yea I've shared it with a few who I know have been tracking it this whole time, not gonna put it out on the thread though. Store is gonna get overwhelmed otherwise.

12BoM

Doesn't hurt trying, I'm just going to be like "hey can I secure a copy of XV ?" Or do I have to be more discreet Lol

Yeah i havent called yet bc idk what to say, since they said they would call if they have it.

gonna be like "hey im on this list and i heard yall got dat ffxv"

Ebay disc guy comes through. Just got a USPS email notification that the game is in my mailbox.

And its a half day at work let's goooooooooooooooooooo.

yunbuns

This thread has me conflicted. To buy or wait. It'll be my first FF and some of it looks great but eh.

Honestly you should just play it and form your own opinion. If I had listened to the internet, I would have never experienced some of my favorite FF games (VIII, X-2, XII). As someone said earlier, one man's trash is another man's treasure.

And yeah you should definitely play some of the older games!

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
YoshiP or Hiroyuki Ito.

Part of me wants Ito to be involved again but the rational me thinks that he's probably out of touch with current developmental climates to be able to lead a team to make a large game.

This thread has me conflicted. To buy or wait. It'll be my first FF and some of it looks great but eh.
I would say buy it. If you like it then go back to the other Final Fantasy's, and even if you do not like I would still go back to play the other Final Fantasy's. Heck when XIII came out I had not played a Final Fantasy since the SNES days and though the game was not the best it made me go back to play the other games I missed.

Ray Down

Banned
I enjoyed the second part for different reasons compared to open world,but it was still great. Ardyn being much more present in several ways and the story picking up to a greater pace feels good. It's a shame locations the train stops to are so small to explore.

Let me tell you,finally we have a good villain again. Ardyn is so much better compared to FF XIII Barthendelus.

I was gonna say, when was the last FF game that bad a great villain? (Haven't played the online games enough)

Must be FF9, imo.

dramatis

Is "reviewers are not harsher" an attempt to salvage hope that FF15 will be forgiven for most of its faults and get a higher score?

All the games that averaged above 90 in 2008
kUSl1Pl.png

All the games that averaged above 90 in 2009 (year that FF13 came out)
wEOvy7B.png

All the games that averaged above 90 in 2010
LrbhHsw.png

All the games that averaged above 90 in 2011
blj1ZtV.png

Now have a look.
All the games that averaged above 90 in 2016
upfvA6p.png

You might also want to note that not a single game in 2016 exceeded 95 avg score.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

Wait, unless this is the only thing you want to play. Nowadays waiting even just a few months benefits consumers greatly(so many games dropping off 20 bucks super quickly). Also the more time passes the more information is out people have time to digest and you usually get good posts that can paint a good picture in culmination. There just isn't any good reason beyond one's own lack of self control to jump in with doubts right at the release.
Really release day full price buys should be done out of confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom