• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Impressions: Mark All Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Is the crown update a second patch or the one currently available? I'm really curious to know how many scenes from KG end up inside the main game. There's so much awesome CGI that I think it's worth using it for stretching the story content of the first chapters, specially after hearing they lack a bit of main story.

Anoxida

If we are looking for games that are at the height of the FF franchise at it's best, neither of those games are up to the task.

Agree. If you break LO down to it's components then what you get is a deeply flawed game. I can make a whole list of bad design choices they made in LO. But it seems a lot of people love that game so I guess it does something right, I just don't personally see it. But what I really don't see is how LO would've been a great final fantasy game. FF is a franchise which historically tries to renew itself and evolve the genre. LO (excluding the short stories) is one of the most conservative jrpgs made the last decade.

theofficefan99

Idk what to do been hovering over the cancel order button for two days. To make it worse GameStop near me is doing a midnight launch...fuuuuu

My Gamestop is doing one too. But tbh not down to deal with any traffic or mall parking. Plus you never know if another (spoilers for Harry Potter 7)
"SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!!!!" drive-by or walk-by
will happen whilst at the Gamestop lol.

Plus on Mondays I'm typically at school all day anyways.

My Gamestop is doing one too. But tbh not down to deal with any traffic or mall parking. Plus you never know if another (spoilers for Harry Potter 7)
"SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!!!!" drive-by or walk-by
will happen whilst at the Gamestop lol.

Plus on Mondays I'm typically at school all day anyways.
And i miss out on my mage Masher and blaze sabre

I've now crossed 12 hours played. Doing some stuff to see how much I can push the night stuff. Got rekt quite a few times in the night lol. So what exactly is the difference between Easy and Normal for death? difficulty question:
I thought easy mode would be unlimited continues?

also spoiler free posts from Gadgets 360 (early retail copy from the article) PS4 Pro vs PS4 and how quests and inns etc work - http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/featu...s-ps4-pro-skills-side-quests-and-more-1629864

and another on just general thoughts on gameplay and performance from a fan of the franchise http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/reviews/final-fantasy-xv-review-first-impressions-1629212

Honestly I've seen it a second time today and I must say I liked it quite alot more being able to follow the action better. It's a nice videogame movie, probably the best out there. I just hate Luna, both char design and character ahah.

I disliked how Luna doesn't need someone to tell her to do something she thinks feel right, but do it... and it feels like a stupid decision (like the scene when she jumps from the enemy airship to the King's palace), but other times I felt she was really taking good decisions, but then males characters would push her back (like if she was treated like the damsell in distress, so she would not be doing things a lady couldn't do) and did nothing against it: Like that scene where she takes the wheel, while Nyx is taking care of the other dudes across the road, he comes back and asks her to take the wheel back... she could have continued to drive, she seemed enough confident and knew probably how to do it, but no, she needed to back out and left it, like if it was a necessity, not because she was not confident.

Aters

Lost Odyssey = the real FF13

Ni No Kuni = the real FF14

There I said it :p

Can't say anything about Lost Odyssey, but Ni No Kuni? Nope. A game with style but no substence. Plus if anything Ni No Kuni is closer to DQ than FF. Xeneblade is a true successor to Final Fantasy, especially following FFXII's route.

benzy

I've now crossed 12 hours played. Doing some stuff to see how much I can push the night stuff. Got rekt quite a few times in the night lol. So what exactly is the difference between Easy and Normal for death? difficulty question:
I thought easy mode would be unlimited continues?

also spoiler free posts from Gadgets 360 (early retail copy from the article) PS4 Pro vs PS4 and how quests and inns etc work - http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/featu...s-ps4-pro-skills-side-quests-and-more-1629864

and another on just general thoughts on gameplay and performance from a fan of the franchise http://gadgets.ndtv.com/games/reviews/final-fantasy-xv-review-first-impressions-1629212

In the Judgment demo at least, you can't die/gameover on easy mode.

Servbot24

Banned
A very basic story can be propped up by characters and charm. Let us not go down a path where gaming aristocrats try and say the bulk of games have stories anywhere near on the level of a good movie or tv show. Most stories in games are incredibly primitive. Ni No Kuni had a ridiculously simple and well trodden story trope.

What we sometimes learn is you're better writing your story in a game safely, and making sure characters are well written and the world is believable and engaging. A spine for FF is usually always world is going to end, protagonist has to try and stop that. Fine, not exactly high tier stuff. However surround that basic linear plot piece with a cast of engaging and well written characters, and then a world, possibly cities/towns that are memorable and well designed and suddenly people walk away giving a shit about their experience. A great soundtrack helps tug on emotions as well.

Not walking away going what was that hot mess of a story, shitty characters, but okay, gameplay was great! Most people want both, but many will take serviceable gameplay and a story and characters that remain with them than plodding through a JRPG that typically lasts 25 hours+ of their time and giving zero fucks about anything in the game other than good gameplay. Like it or lump it, it's what many enjoy about JRPGs. For good gameplay loops there tends to be many experiences outside of JRPGs with hardly any story that just offer up battle systems/online MP to feed gameplay needs.

FF has been bleeding fans not because the gameplay was turning them away, but the stories and characters were hated. Outside of being waifu material I think Lightning is one of the most hated FF characters. Goes in hand with how terrible the FF13 trilogy is. Square have been overcomplicating things and missing the mark for a while now with character design. I guess they keep trying to westernize their franchises. Great, lets draw from the ever ongoing sea of sterile unlikable and forgettable protagonists the West chucks out like candy.

This post is pretty much on the money imo.

Games are a long way from having stories as good as what you see in acclaimed movies and books, and yet we still get just as attached to their worlds and characters. There is a ton of power in the gaming medium that has not been tapped into yet. Obviously FFXV won't be the game to do it, but that's ok. If the characters are endearing, the world is engaging, and the story is at the very least not offensive, that can be enough to cary the game.

theofficefan99

lol I'm trying to watch old trailers through Novacrystallis (just click to "loop" a video so suggestions never come up and you're gold) and I'm passing by old stories such as Stella's removal and "Final Fantasy Versus XIII revealed as Final Fantasy XV for the PS4"... man... what a fucking journey it's been.

Let'sGoTenjiku

Neo Member
This is the first time in history I have been too afraid to click blacked out text, however I am deathly afraid I got spoiled earlier. When square posted the stream upload of the London event I made the first comment, it being just the start time. I got a ton of spam on it and since YouTube is notorious for labeling legit comments as spam, I checked. I severely hope it was a troll who didn't have real info, because if not then I'll be upset.

Other than that, can someone please confirm if the game is really as short as people are saying, and if it is, is it because the world is small?

Black Storm

Neo Member
How can I avoid over leveling or do enemies scale with your level?
You can see in the quests list the level you need to complete each quest, and that include the main quests, so it's better to be at least 2 levels less than the main quest level requirement to get more challenge, whenever your level get close to the required level, stop grinding/doing side quests and start the main quest.

I am excited to be able to talk more about this game (and y'all should really check out Kotaku on Monday at 10am ET) but I will say that it's silly to judge the story based only on leaked cut-scenes, as so many people are doing in the spoiler thread. As I've said before based on the ~12 hours I spent on the preview build, a lot of the character development really unfolds while you're driving around and exploring the world with your party of bros. Without that context, it's impossible for anyone to tell whether the story resonates with them.

Couldn't have said it better.

I think a few people will eat crow when reviews hit.

More and more positive impressions - as Jason noted, no way to judge a story until you experience it. I'm still holding out hope that the game takes me on a journey like classic FFs. A few wooden cutscenes aren't going to be the deciding factor on that.

More and more positive impressions - as Jason noted, no way to judge a story until you experience it. I'm still holding out hope that the game takes me on a journey like classic FFs. A few wooden cutscenes aren't going to be the deciding factor on that.

Yeah. If they only divided the game in 2 "acts" where the first one is all about the characters (so you start to care about them) and second one is about the story then I won't have a problem with this.

Autofokus

How's the frame rate/frame pacing on OG PS4 and Pro?

Only played it on Pro (Lite & High Setting) and the frame pacing is quite bad. Never played the Judgement Demo, so I can't compare to that.

I have a OG PS4 here too, but not played it yet (I'm switching rooms all the time depending on my wife etc.).

Yeah. If they only divided the game in 2 "acts" where the first one is all about the characters (so you start to care about them) and second one is about the story then I won't have a problem with this.

I suspect an Insomnia opening could have done just this. Midgar-style slow open to get the measure of world/characters. Then cast out into wilderness for questing and exploration, scales fall from Prince's eyes, then linear push to the end. Sounds about perfect....

Zapages

I just played the demo for FFXV... Is the final game anything like that?

It felt like weird and nothing like FF that I used to know from SNES and PSone days.

It felt like poor man's action RPG with bad controls for fighting with the collecting of orbs and all.

Please let me know the final game is nothing like this? Also is the story good? FF main theme was the good stories for them back in those days.

PS: I like action RPGs like Ys.

Falk

that puzzling face

It felt like weird and nothing like FF that I used to know from SNES and PSone days.

It felt like poor man's action RPG with bad controls for fighting with the collecting of orbs and all.

Please let me know the final game is nothing like this? Also is the story good? FF main theme was the good stories for them back in those days.

Platinum Demo?

It's a rather poor representation of the final game.

Balls

Banned
It's funny how the thing most people complained about prior to release "The boyband" may actually be the strongest part of the game.

artsi

PS: I like action RPGs like Ys.

Did you play Platinum Demo?

That one sucks and doesn't represent the final game.
It's more like a tech demo.

I'm so torn over whether or not I should keep my preorder. The main reason I want to hold onto it is because (thanks to Amazon's price guarantee and E3 promotion up here in Canada) my price would be $39.51 compared to the usual $90.39. I haven't really enjoyed a Final Fantasy since X and I didn't like the first XV demo, though, mainly because of the combat. That was a while ago.

What are some of the better spoiler-lite impression videos I can watch right now? I really need to make up my mind.

Socivol

Started playing again I've just been doing quests. While some of them are just fetch quests something I haven't seen anyone else mention is that some of them give you additional incite and lore into the world. It's really interesting to do what you think is just a fetch quest and at the end of the quest have the NPC give you additional advice or talk about something going on in the world that you otherwise wouldn't know about.

benzy

Oh, you played Platinum Demo. Just assume that shit doesn't exist, that's meant to be a tech demo and the game doesn't play like that. Most people are wondering why the hell they even bothered creating that.

Set up a Japanese PSN Alt account and download Judgment Disc demo, which is basically a part of Chapter 1 in the full game and is more representative of the real game.

Yes the Platinum Demo thing on the PSN Store.

Platinum demo is ass. If you want a good representation, quickly make a Japanese PSN account (it's easy) and download the Judgment Disc demo.

It's chapter 1 (with stuff cut out). Much more representative of the game.

Edit: Beaten above.

If the gaming community online has taught me anything in the last two years
Anything outta Japan=Anime bullshit no matter what
532b33db3a4505789860561e7c70d9b5.gif

LowParry

I'm so torn over whether or not I should keep my preorder. The main reason I want to hold onto it is because (thanks to Amazon's price guarantee and E3 promotion up here in Canada) my price would be $39.51 compared to the usual $90.39. I haven't really enjoyed a Final Fantasy since X and I didn't like the first XV demo, though, mainly because of the combat. That was a while ago.

What are some of the better spoiler-lite impression videos I can watch right now? I really need to make up my mind.

If you haven't played the Judgement Demo, then I suggest you try that if you want a hands on impression. Otherwise go back maybe a few pages to see what people here are giving impressions on with the game.

This has probably been mentioned, but this thread is quite long. Rating on a scale from 1/10? Is this FF13 or FF10-2 bad, or is ti more like FF6 / FF12 / FF7 good?

Started playing again I've just been doing quests. While some of them are just fetch quests something I haven't seen anyone else mention is that some of them give you additional incite and lore into the world. It's really interesting to do what you think is just a fetch quest and at the end of the quest have the NPC give you additional advice or talk about something going on in the world that you otherwise wouldn't know about.

Nice, lore collection is always one of my favorite parts of FF (even in XIII, where it was so divorced from the play experience).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom