• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

Any tips on getting the 4 fishing items?

Not really. You just gotta keep trying. It took me ages to get the last fish but he packs a punch so make sure you have the proper rod and eat the food at SQenix cafe that reduces durability by 25 percent. The fishing isn't the best part of this carnival and the rod you get is weak. I wouldn't do it really unless you want to.

neoism

more dissapointment....

SABAN threatened a lawsuit against SE because the suits looked too Power Rangery in their opinion. SE decided to redesign the suits, so the release date is TBD.

:(

neoism

I had 109k exp saved (but not level 99). Does the new patch turn that into 0?

your toast.. lol I lost 2 mil....

square could have still let us keep our EXP just make 118-120 take like 100mil.......

im buuumed I wonna play but these patches and dlc are just fucking me over for playing it on day 1.......

:'(

KRaZyAmmo

your toast.. lol I lost 2 mil....

square could have still let us keep our EXP just make 118-120 take like 100mil.......

im buuumed I wonna play but these patches and dlc are just fucking me over for playing it on day 1.......

:'(
Fuck. might as well continue with the story at this point then.

Totofogo

Neo Member
I'm still on chapter 3 (taking my time in wait of the patches to come) and finally just unlocked Chocobo riding... even with all of its shortcomings, things like this make me love the game. I'd definitely have preferred a game less grounded in 'reality', but it sure does make moments like this stand out.

Aw shit did I miss it. How do you find out when a timed quest is going on.
Download and install the latest patch, and then when you get into the game, there will be a new thing in your menu for Timed Quests. Select that, and it'll give you the approximate location, and then you can just go and take care of business.

ViciousDS

Banned
i decided to just beat the ending again to get rid of the guest character for doing the timed quests. Seeing those pictures again really brought back just how engrossed I was in this game for two straight weeks.

brought a tear to my eye.....god do I love this game. Especially after now understanding all the holes of the story and everything else

Download and install the latest patch, and then when you get into the game, there will be a new thing in your menu for Timed Quests. Select that, and it'll give you the approximate location, and then you can just go and take care of business.
Hot damn was that fun lol. My spells are op and my Magic ascension is full so that made it easier lol

MrDenny

The booster pack + for season pass holders is up on the North American store.
Includes ragnarok weapon which looks awesome and does a ton of damage when you warp strike.

rataven

Whoa the new Ragnarok sword is insanely good. If you're a frequent warp-striker (and aren't we all?) this thing is ideal. It works nicely in combination with the Zwills for attacking. Ragnarok can crank out 9999 damage per warp-strike. Even on Angelus at long distances. It's nuts.

Ourobolus

Banned
Dammit my Lv 1 playthrough hit a snag. Pretty sure I can't get past 20/40 on Rank 8 of the Hunts without finishing the game. Guess I'll just have to go ahead and finish the damn thing...

Looking forward to playing this first timed quest when I get home. Also the Ragnarok sword looks awesome. Can't wait to try it out and see it in action.

FFXV_BoostSword.jpg

holy shit that is so beautiful

Just a heads up
there's some spoilers in this vid if some of you guys haven't completed the game yet

Oh crap. I didn't know. I watched the first half and then put it into my background to listen to as I continued working. My bad. Spoilers folks!

But if you just want to listen to it and not get spoiled, just play the video in the background and listen to the wonderful music.

Twookie

Oh crap. I didn't know. I watched the first half and then put it into my background to listen to as I continued working. My bad. Spoilers folks!

But if you just want to listen to it and not get spoiled, just play the video in the background and listen to the wonderful music.

haha I did the same actually, just hid it behind a chrome tab while listening to it, only noticed it when I played the video on my iphone when away from the computer!

Hooly shit, for post game content stuff beyond

Just did the secret dungeon. BIG MISTAKE TO DO IT LATE AT NIGHT, thinking i could finish this in like 40-minutes or an hour at most. THAT THING TOOK A BIG CHUNK OUT OF MY SOUL. However finally have that fucking black hood

But it feels so good.

Yo. I'm liking this new weapon!

I dunno. I've heard that the fishing gear is better but I have yet to check for myself.

The fishing gear is really good but just below the top-tier stuff in the game (Tranquility and Llymlaen are still significantly better).

Also, unlike past DLC, I've gotta say that this fishing gear and the Boost Sword are *comically* overpowered for people just starting a new game, even if the Boost Sword is only so-so for people who already have the Balmung/Ultima Blade/Soul Saber.

Makes me curious to see what the stat boosts on the Boost Suit are like, since costumes scale with your level/stats in terms of how good they are.

But yeah, starting a new game with the Boost Sword would straight up let you wreck pretty much everything up until the endgame.

I've finally been playing A King’s Tale properly in some vague attempt at saving face for 'paying for it' (pre-order) but not playing it before it's now coming out for free and... I really like it lol.

cj_iwakura

I've finally been playing A King's Tale properly in some vague attempt at saving face for 'paying for it' (pre-order) but not playing it before it's now coming out for free and... I really like it lol.

It's not bad. Not great, but not bad. Just... kind of cheap.

More fun than that stupid carnival.

"Saving Checkpoint"

Oh, great, I can quit the game!

*resumes game later to find 30 min of lost progress*

Yeah, fucking great.
"Saving Checkpoint" and "Saving" are not the same. The former only happens when you're in an area where you can't otherwise save. They really should have named them more distinctly.

"Saving Checkpoint"

Oh, great, I can quit the game!

*resumes game later to find 30 min of lost progress*

Yeah, fucking great.

"Saving checkpoint" isn't "Saving Game". It's literally marking where you are in a given point so if you die you can "Reload from checkpoint" and not "Load Game".

Joqu

It's taken me ages and I already spoiled myself on the ending beforehand anyway, but I finally beat XV yesterday and I just can't get it out of my head, so that's a sign of a special one right there.

Mind you I've got a ton of story complaints and questions that I should probably get off my chest somewhere else, and these are problems that are way too similar to Type-0's to my liking which is making me think I probably don't want Tabata to direct a mainline FF again if I'm gonna be real here for one sec, the way he handles stories isn't what I want out of Final Fantasy. Though don't get me wrong, I'll gladly check out Tabata's next game.
And I'm not entirely over Versus. Which I'm sure no one wants to hear about in this thread at this point but you'll have to excuse me and let me ramble about this some but like I said, I can't get Final Fantasy XV out of my head.

But it's okay!
Because that stuff aside I had a blast. Story-wise if there's one thing they really pulled off here, and thank god for that, it's making me care about the bros. A lot. Noctis might be my favourite Final Fantasy protagonist and I got pretty damn emotional with the ending.
And the overall story is still pretty great on paper, with some really great concepts and characters. And I certainly enjoyed the tone of the latter chapters. Wonky execution, but there's plenty to love there. It is a weird kind of love for me but I suppose that's okay too. (Though I have to admit I can't help but think I'm enjoying Versus holdovers here, while disliking the way they executed them. Whoops.)

Digging through the Wiki and reading guide book info has been a great time for similar reasons, even if it's a somewhat annoying "why isn't this made clear in the game" kind of one. I guess I should get myself one of those guidebooks.

But most importantly the game is just absolute blast to play. Well maybe not most importantly, that's probably how I love the party, but it's a close second. There's something really special here that's hard for me to put into words because there are plenty of issues and it doesn't always work, but when it does it's like nothing else out there. Something about that flow of driving around, going out to explore, ideally solving some quests along the way in a convenient matter, until it's night out and I gotta camp is just very satisfactory. As is the combat. Which doesn't always work either but when it does it feels better than anything else out there. And warping is always fun.

Some stray thoughts:

- I hate how inconsistent this and Kingsglaive are. The different designs, voice talent and yeah uh, Ravus' personality? I really hope those future patch scenes work out for ya, buddy.

- This is silly to mention at this point, but they should have just called the heroine Stella, I really would've preferred it that way.

That name change made me think there was some proper relevance to it but it seemingly only happened to avoid pissing people off, pissing people off in the process. As in the moon doesn't fucking matter in this game and it's annoying me more than it should? And thematically being named after stars makes much more sense? This wouldn't be a problem to me if the names were all nonsense, but the others ended up working fairly well so I was expecting some significance, idk.

- There's plenty of stuff you could say this for too, but out of all the off-screen stuff Pryna's bothered me the most. Dog DLC when?

- Why the fuck do I need to get off my chocobo to pick the shinies up? Don't map that stuff to the same button, come on.

- I don't know how this happened but I'm addicted to the fishing. It's not even my favourite video game fishing!

- It's been said plenty but the dungeons in this game really are a highlight. Looking forward to exploring the ones I missed later.

- Chapter 13 wasn't that bad. It dragged on too long for its own good, sure, but I really like the concept and I wouldn't want it gone or anything. I might have been overlevelled though, I don't know if it's supposed to be easier than the game makes it out to be.

And in general I definitely enjoy the game getting linear later on.

- I really wish I could replay chapters, because I want to replay some chapters. Have they talked about adding this in a future update?

- And finally, I don't really mind all the updates. I know I'm gonna crave more XV in the future. Definitely looking forward to the DLC too. The avatar thing still sounds dumb though.

---

I realize no one wants to read this so I do apologize for dumping this post in here, but this felt good to write. Still, sorry. :p

I read it, and I feel largely the same, though I haven't finished the game yet.

Fishing is great! I caught a Murk Grouper last night, which was quite a tough fish to get. I just had a feeling that there had to be something lurking about the first fishing area, and sure enough, there it was. Luckily, I had the DLC rod and reel.

It's taken me ages and I already spoiled myself on the ending beforehand anyway, but I finally beat XV yesterday and I just can't get it out of my head, so that's a sign of a special one right there.

Mind you I've got a ton of story complaints and questions that I should probably get off my chest somewhere else, and these are problems that are way too similar to Type-0's to my liking which is making me think I probably don't want Tabata to direct a mainline FF again if I'm gonna be real here for one sec, the way he handles stories isn't what I want out of Final Fantasy. Though don't get me wrong, I'll gladly check out Tabata's next game.
And I'm not entirely over Versus. Which I'm sure no one wants to hear about in this thread at this point but you'll have to excuse me and let me ramble about this some but like I said, I can't get Final Fantasy XV out of my head.

But it's okay!
Because that stuff aside I had a blast. Story-wise if there's one thing they really pulled off here, and thank god for that, it's making me care about the bros. A lot. Noctis might be my favourite Final Fantasy protagonist and I got pretty damn emotional with the ending.
And the overall story is still pretty great on paper, with some really great concepts and characters. And I certainly enjoyed the tone of the latter chapters. Wonky execution, but there's plenty to love there. It is a weird kind of love for me but I suppose that's okay too. (Though I have to admit I can't help but think I'm enjoying Versus holdovers here, while disliking the way they executed them. Whoops.)

Digging through the Wiki and reading guide book info has been a great time for similar reasons, even if it's a somewhat annoying "why isn't this made clear in the game" kind of one. I guess I should get myself one of those guidebooks.

But most importantly the game is just absolute blast to play. Well maybe not most importantly, that's probably how I love the party, but it's a close second. There's something really special here that's hard for me to put into words because there are plenty of issues and it doesn't always work, but when it does it's like nothing else out there. Something about that flow of driving around, going out to explore, ideally solving some quests along the way in a convenient matter, until it's night out and I gotta camp is just very satisfactory. As is the combat. Which doesn't always work either but when it does it feels better than anything else out there. And warping is always fun.

Some stray thoughts:

- I hate how inconsistent this and Kingsglaive are. The different designs, voice talent and yeah uh, Ravus' personality? I really hope those future patch scenes work out for ya, buddy.

- This is silly to mention at this point, but they should have just called the heroine Stella, I really would've preferred it that way.

That name change made me think there was some proper relevance to it but it seemingly only happened to avoid pissing people off, pissing people off in the process. As in the moon doesn't fucking matter in this game and it's annoying me more than it should? And thematically being named after stars makes much more sense? This wouldn't be a problem to me if the names were all nonsense, but the others ended up working fairly well so I was expecting some significance, idk.

- There's plenty of stuff you could say this for too, but out of all the off-screen stuff Pryna's bothered me the most. Dog DLC when?

- Why the fuck do I need to get off my chocobo to pick the shinies up? Don't map that stuff to the same button, come on.

- I don't know how this happened but I'm addicted to the fishing. It's not even my favourite video game fishing!

- It's been said plenty but the dungeons in this game really are a highlight. Looking forward to exploring the ones I missed later.

- Chapter 13 wasn't that bad. It dragged on too long for its own good, sure, but I really like the concept and I wouldn't want it gone or anything. I might have been overlevelled though, I don't know if it's supposed to be easier than the game makes it out to be.

And in general I definitely enjoy the game getting linear later on.

- I really wish I could replay chapters, because I want to replay some chapters. Have they talked about adding this in a future update?

- And finally, I don't really mind all the updates. I know I'm gonna crave more XV in the future. Definitely looking forward to the DLC too. The avatar thing still sounds dumb though.

---

I realize no one wants to read this so I do apologize for dumping this post in here, but this felt good to write. Still, sorry. :p

I certainly enjoyed reading it! :D

Thanks for pointing out some of the flaws and things that you like. As a designer myself, posts like this are more helpful because it identifies what works and what doesn't, instead of the usual "I hate everything" which is so very unhelpful. So I am sure if someone on the FFXV team is reading this, they will find it most helpful and insightful. :p

I agree on your many points and I look forward to talking with you more about the game now that you're done with it. And good timing, too, since Gladio's DLC will be coming in a few weeks.

Edit:

(Also, as crazy as this sounds... A datalog/Crimson Codex/.Rubicus would help greatly and would be pretty cool I think. Along with some theater mode. Gotta rewatch all that beautiful CG. Mmmmmmm.)

Joqu

I read it, and I feel largely the same, though I haven't finished the game yet.

Fishing is great! I caught a Murk Grouper last night, which was quite a tough fish to get. I just had a feeling that there had to be something lurking about the first fishing area, and sure enough, there it was. Luckily, I had the DLC rod and reel.

Oh, cool.

Coincidentally I caught the Murk Grouper last night too. I did it to finish up a fishing quest though.
Certainly felt like it was supposed to be one of the toughest catches, but I'm still missing plenty of fishes so I'm hoping there's some more challenges out there. I'm gonna enjoy going through the world again to find the ones I missed. :)

I certainly enjoyed reading it! :D

Thanks for pointing out some of the flaws and things that you like. As a designer myself, posts like this are more helpful because it identifies what works and what doesn't, instead of the usual "I hate everything" which is so very unhelpful. So I am sure if someone on the FFXV team is reading this, they will find it most helpful and insightful. :p

I agree on your many points and I look forward to talking with you more about the game now that you're done with it. And good timing, too, since Gladio's DLC will be coming in a few weeks.

Edit:

(Also, as crazy as this sounds... A datalog/Crimson Codex/.Rubicus would help greatly and would be pretty cool I think. Along with some theater mode. Gotta rewatch all that beautiful CG. Mmmmmmm.)

Thanks!

Yeah, the DLC is why I went ahead and finally finished this, I bought the season pass so this was just getting unacceptable. I really don't beat nearly enough games these days. >_>

I certainly hope I talk more about the game with y'all, but I don't talk nearly enough about the games I'm playing either. Gonna have to remember you guys are here. :p

I never thought I'd say it but I'd like a datalog too. Plenty of stuff I'd like to be able to find out more about in-game.

And a theater mode would be great. I don't know how bad the loading would be but I always love those.
And model viewers. I could go for a good model viewing feature. I hope the bestiary'll let me view the monsters at least, it can be tough to get a good look at them during combat and I love their designs, especially the classic FF inspired ones.

Hey there folks.

I've taken a break from this game for about a month and a half,after all that huge patch stuff was mentioned.

What's changed since then?

I started up, and am still loving it.

Ok, I killed a behemoth in Ch 3 at the chocobo place, but I'm stuck now? Dropped down a ledge following the thing to it's lair but I can't seem to get back up. :p

Speaking of Episode Duscae, is there any way to download it for people who didn't get it with Type-0? I've been dying to try it for myself.

rataven

Just bailed on a Menace Sleeps in Steyliff.

Made my way through about 85% of the dungeon, and then the tonberries. Oh god the tonberries. No. Nope. Never again. That was the worst. Literally. It was literally the worst.

Top Bottom