• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

h3ro

How is everyone's Cactuar Genocide 2017 coming along?

I'm looking at 500k exp in the bank. Still in Chap 3.
I'm just pulling them with Gravisphere on Prompto and warping in with Ragnarok. Eating the 50% exp buff sandwich from Chocobo Wiz and have the one moogle charm I've gotten thus far on Noct.

Nephtes

Can we talk about that whole
Prompto
twist and Lunafreya
death
?

Both of these absolutely fell flat for me story wise. Actually... So did all of Chapter 10 through 13.

Lunafreya
Death

You know why Aeris dying worked? Because we had attachment to her. She was a member of the team for hours and hours. We became invested in her. Lunafreya has what, 20 minutes screentime max before she bites it and then the game kind of tries to make you feel like this is a big surprise or something...But it just kind of falls flat. Noctis cried... But I mean, dude... You haven't even seen her since you were like 10...

Prompto
Twist
What was this? What was this? I feel the game was setting me up for some huge reveal like
Prompto has been a spy for the empire all along! Or Prompto is the present version of Ardyn...Like Ardyn is future Prompto or something
... But no... They just casually drop it out there that
Promoto is a a Magitek Trooper.. MT... empty. And they just leave it like that. No explanation...Nothing. and everyone is just cool with it.
Seriously SquareEnix?

Chapter 13:
So you make it to the empire's home, but it's turned to shit apparently overnight. The whole time playing through this section I was under the impression it was just a chunk of empire? Or something, but no, you make it to the throne room at the emperor has turned into a demon. Like they went from this badass superpower nation that overthrew the world, got a demon cold and snuffed overnight... But somehow Hammerhead... A podunk no where town that is actually the center of the universe is still going 10 years after the world has been covered in level 80 demons?? No way.

Maybe I'm looking back at older Final Fantasy games with rose tinted glasses, but at least the plot lines made sense to me, had emotional impact, and didn't feel disjointed and sloppy.

I don't want to say that this is the worst mainline Final Fantasy game... But Goddamn is it in the running with FFXIII and FFX (Don't lie...the rest of the game cannot erase that awful Tidus laugh...)

rataven

I beat the Adamantoise!! Test of endurance that was. But honestly, as stupidly impressive as his size was, that fight lost a LOT of impact by way of never really being able to see what it was you were fighting. I caught a glimpse of his eye a good bit with lock on, but otherwise it was just a big brown scaly dusty mess. I'm not the most elegant with the combat though, so maybe it was just me.

LTTP

i started playing the game days ago, currently i'm in CH3 where i'm supposed to
meet up with iris ar lestallum

anyways got some questions:
1- in the quest selection, i notice some with yellow/red icons, what does it means?

2- also i'm now at lvl 23, but when i'm doing quests which recommends lower lvl like 15 , i'm getting kicked easily, is that due to their power despite my lvl ? or i'm still noob ? or should i work on equipments more?

3- why chocobos tickets are time specified ? i bought 2 tickets and expired cause i didn't use it

4- i dont spend money easily, i was having 17000 gil, just now after multiple saves i found out i have only 500 gil lol, how come? are there any things that costs hidden money or what?

5- any tips regarding magic ? it's like infinite source cause it's everywhere, but i always forget to craft it and use it

6- due to the huge world , i find it difficult to lvl up at some places cause it's almost empty , and in the night it's risky and difficult , so i'm depending on quests to lvl up , any recommendation? i want to grind

7- i hate fishing -_-

Would anyone be up for a NeoGAF FFXV Combo video? Just to give a bit of a insight into what this is. CMVs are Combo Music Videos. They're videos usually from spectacle fighters/hack n slash games where players make stylish looking combos to music.

They can be from any game that you think can be entertaining, skillful and stylish to watch. Games often within these are DMC, Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden. However this does often branch out to others including Vanquish, Viewtiful Joe, God Hand, [insert Platinum Game(yes, even Transformers: Devastation)] and many many more. In the case of FFXV, it does have an incredible combat system which makes for stylish looking videos that I've been trying to show case. Here are some examples:

Back when DMC4: SE came out I set up a NeoGAF DMC Combo Video scenario which resulted in this well received NeoGAF DMC4:SE community CMV. The thread that came from it.

I don't expect FFXV to have the same level of playerbase, but would people in interested in submitting a few videos for a NeoGAF FFXV Community Combo Video? I'm not looking for super skilled players, just people wanting to show something off. If there's enough interest, I'll set this up similar to the DMC:SE video. If you check out the post I linked, it'll be the exact same premise. Either response to this or PM me if you're interested. I think it'll fun for us to work on something while we wait for more DLC and such.

This seems like a cool idea!

If I got some free time this weekend I'll record some stuff, upload it to Youtube, and send it your way.

Lightning

Banned
LTTP

i started playing the game days ago, currently i'm in CH3 where i'm supposed to
meet up with iris ar lestallum

anyways got some questions:
1- in the quest selection, i notice some with yellow/red icons, what does it means?

2- also i'm now at lvl 23, but when i'm doing quests which recommends lower lvl like 15 , i'm getting kicked easily, is that due to their power despite my lvl ? or i'm still noob ? or should i work on equipments more?

3- why chocobos tickets are time specified ? i bought 2 tickets and expired cause i didn't use it

4- i dont spend money easily, i was having 17000 gil, just now after multiple saves i found out i have only 500 gil lol, how come? are there any things that costs hidden money or what?

5- any tips regarding magic ? it's like infinite source cause it's everywhere, but i always forget to craft it and use it

6- due to the huge world , i find it difficult to lvl up at some places cause it's almost empty , and in the night it's risky and difficult , so i'm depending on quests to lvl up , any recommendation? i want to grind

7- i hate fishing -_-
1) Red Icons are main quest locations.

2) Equipment more important than levels, imo. Also cook food at camp for stat boosts before going into battle helps a lot.

3 Chocobo tickets represent days. I hardly ever used chocobos though.

4) No Idea. Unless your buying food or spending lots of gil at Gauldin Quay mone doesn't vanish unless you use it. Some enemies steal money but not that much from what I noticed.

5) Magic is ridiculously overpowered and can one shot several enemies. One tip I used was get the magic power increase by 30, buy 99 Sheep Milk, combine 99 Fire/Ice/Thunder and you get Dual Cast Firaga/Blizzaga/Thundaga which will do massive damage to everything. Sheep Milk only costs 10c, so 990 gil total and you can destroy anything with magic early on.

6) Quests level you the quickest as many involve fighting so you gain EXP twice.

7) Fishing is awesome and for me very useful as certain fish make great food. Can take time to level but very easy with the exception of a few that are both hard to find and reel in. Takes a bit of practice but I found it incredibly easy and fun.

Would anyone be up for a NeoGAF FFXV Combo video? Just to give a bit of a insight into what this is. CMVs are Combo Music Videos. They're videos usually from spectacle fighters/hack n slash games where players make stylish looking combos to music.

They can be from any game that you think can be entertaining, skillful and stylish to watch. Games often within these are DMC, Bayonetta and Ninja Gaiden. However this does often branch out to others including Vanquish, Viewtiful Joe, God Hand, [insert Platinum Game(yes, even Transformers: Devastation)] and many many more. In the case of FFXV, it does have an incredible combat system which makes for stylish looking videos that I've been trying to show case. Here are some examples:

Back when DMC4: SE came out I set up a NeoGAF DMC Combo Video scenario which resulted in this well received NeoGAF DMC4:SE community CMV. The thread that came from it.

I don't expect FFXV to have the same level of playerbase, but would people in interested in submitting a few videos for a NeoGAF FFXV Community Combo Video? I'm not looking for super skilled players, just people wanting to show something off. If there's enough interest, I'll set this up similar to the DMC:SE video. If you check out the post I linked, it'll be the exact same premise. Either response to this or PM me if you're interested. I think it'll fun for us to work on something while we wait for more DLC and such.
I'll try and make some gun gameplay this weekend

Vashetti

Banned
Other than camping, is there any way you can check which recipes Ignis has learned? I can't find a menu for it.

Probably the most unhelpful response, as I can't remember specifically, but there is definitely somewhere in the main menu where you can see all that stuff, e.g. Noct's fishing catches, Ignis' recipes, etc.

Ourobolus

Banned
Ok, I have a two playthroughs:

A) Lv 99 playthrough...like 2 menace dungeons + Pitioss + weapons quests done, all skills at 10.
B) Lv 1 playthrough, all hunts complete, none of the ultimate weapon quests done, all recipes except for fishing done.

What should I do? I definitely enjoy playing the game, just curious what I should experiment with.

Ok, I have a two playthroughs:

A) Lv 99 playthrough...like 2 menace dungeons + Pitioss + weapons quests done, all skills at 10 except for fishing.
B) Lv 1 playthrough, all hunts complete, none of the ultimate weapon quests done, all recipes except for fishing done.

What should I do? I definitely enjoy playing the game, just curious what I should experiment with.
Max out fishing (apparently there are fish you can't even see unless your fishing is level 10) and go for level 120!

Also, side note: is anyone else playing BotW and letting go of sprint right before the bar runs out, hoping to get the boost you get from this game? Because I am, and it doesn't work, but I still do it reflexively.

Ourobolus

Banned
Max out fishing (apparently there are fish you can't even see unless your fishing is level 10) and go for level 120!

Also, side note: is anyone else playing BotW and letting go of sprint right before the bar runs out, hoping to get the boost you get from this game? Because I am, and it doesn't work, but I still do it reflexively.

I should mention I maxed out fishing. Oops, forgot I did that the other night for the platinum.

There are too many great games coming out right now for me to give FFXV my time but I do wanna catch every fish/collect every recipe eventually.

Gutss

I guess I will finally play this game, it is free with the new 1 year ps plus bundle this month on singapore acounts(67 singapore dollars for the bundle), excited to be back on the ff series.

Riposte

Does the game keep any record of having completed (or missed) the limited time quest? I know the first one is due to expire in 2 or so days, but I don't actually want the EXP that badly.

Minamu

Screw it. Gonna go for the menace dungeons and hope to level to 120 at some point.
I recently did one of the longer dungeons for almost 4 hours, and I had some sort of exp boost for roughly 3 of those hours, plus moogle charms on everyone, and then the 3x hotel. That netted me around 2 levels :lol 102-104. 4 levels is probably possible with some extreme preparations.

i like the game so far, but due to the lack of grinding options if i'm not mistaking, the quests are good replacement until you hit the barrier of being not able to complete the mission...

so far i'm still in ch3 and 35 hrs my lvl is 40 because i'm spending time on these quests,

prompto sucks and dying fast in hard challenges....

but tbh, i'm missing the story as it appears all i'm doing is grinding on task for hours thanks to driving long distance - i know i can cut time but i need AP- , and then spend almost 1 hour for the main story, then repeat

maybe i'm playing the game in wrong way , but i'm trying to be open and let it slide

cj_iwakura

From twitter:

C5_ECfNU4AI2q7T.jpg

Ourobolus

Banned
I recently did one of the longer dungeons for almost 4 hours, and I had some sort of exp boost for roughly 3 of those hours, plus moogle charms on everyone, and then the 3x hotel. That netted me around 2 levels :lol 102-104. 4 levels is probably possible with some extreme preparations.
lol

Yeah I did two of the shorter ones and only gained 2 levels

Logged into the game for the first time since February the 8th and did the Cactuar hunt.

It was incredibly stupid.

The new hunt drops tomorrow so that's good.

Oh and I need 1M EXP to level up? LOL

Minamu

I wonder if they modified the ap farming spot and/or the whistle. It used to be very consistent and you could even time it if you were fast enough with your kills so the fight music never even started. But while it still works most of the time, sometimes you end up waiting for 15+ seconds for the next wave to spawn and using the whistle, it's super weird!

Oh, and did they remove the exp monster near Hammerhead? I went there three times, with saves/loads from Hammerhead and all I got was one sabertusk down there! Only difference from previous grinds was the exp hamburger from the chocobo wiz.

I wonder if they modified the ap farming spot and/or the whistle. It used to be very consistent and you could even time it if you were fast enough with your kills so the fight music never even started. But while it still works most of the time, sometimes you end up waiting for 15+ seconds for the next wave to spawn and using the whistle, it's super weird!
What I found out is that—as it turns out—where you point the camera when you use the beast whistle matters. If you're in that good area, make sure to turn the camera toward the bleached bones.

Also, it's much faster if you use the fanfares for time and offense (not finesse) and wait for the battle to actually start before you blow away the enemies. I was getting around 1000 AP per half hour like that.

Anyway, I lost against a fish for the first time in a while last night. There's some arowana-looking monster on the other side of the Vesperpool that just chewed right through my line. I also found the other secret fishing spot, but none of my lures worked, which was so dumb. Even Tidal Might Leviathan failed to attract anything.

rataven

Logged into the game for the first time since February the 8th and did the Cactuar hunt.

It was incredibly stupid.

The new hunt drops tomorrow so that's good.

Oh and I need 1M EXP to level up? LOL

Aww I kinda liked it. Cactuars are hilarious and cute. I found a few on that hunt that were just nonchalantly lounging in the grass, scratching their butts. Only in Final Fantasy.

Minamu

What I found out is that—as it turns out—where you point the camera when you use the beast whistle matters. If you're in that good area, make sure to turn the camera toward the bleached bones.

Also, it's much faster if you use the fanfares for time and offense (not finesse) and wait for the battle to actually start before you blow away the enemies. I was getting around 1000 AP per half hour like that.

Anyway, I lost against a fish for the first time in a while last night. There's some arowana-looking monster on the other side of the Vesperpool that just chewed right through my line. I also found the other secret fishing spot, but none of my lures worked, which was so dumb. Even Tidal Might Leviathan failed to attract anything.
I'll check that out :) I only have one fanfare unfortunately. I've been trying to avoid the fights since it takes so much longer to get rid of the exp meters so you can whistle again. But I'm almost done with the entire grid, more or less, so any quicker is fairly pointless right now :)

I'll check that out :) I only have one fanfare unfortunately. I've been trying to avoid the fights since it takes so much longer to get rid of the exp meters so you can whistle again. But I'm almost done with the entire grid, more or less, so any quicker is fairly pointless right now :)
You can whistle as soon as you get your bonus AP from the fanfares. That happens before the EXP counter appears (but if you wait til it appears, you'll have to wait for it to finish).

Also, try to use Armiger between your last kill and when the bonus AP appears for an extra AP that uses almost no meter. Timed right, you can do it every or every other set.

I feel like that's different though. With FFXIII I don't remember the devs expressing interest in bringing it to PC right away like Tabata has with FFXV. I can see it coming possibly after all the DLC is out.

Minamu

You can whistle as soon as you get your bonus AP from the fanfares. That happens before the EXP counter appears (but if you wait til it appears, you'll have to wait for it to finish).

Also, try to use Armiger between your last kill and when the bonus AP appears for an extra AP that uses almost no meter. Timed right, you can do it every or every other set.
That's a neat trick :)

I'm almost ready to tackle menace costlemark, what kind of spellcasts should I make for healing? I have the suggested accessories and all healing buffs from the ascension grid. I think I read something about buying tomatoes?

About halfway through chapter 13 and kinda losing my mind to the sheer boredom I'm being bombarded with right now. How much longer have I got until the end of the game in terms of hours?

New timed hunt is on. You need to be in chapter 11 or higher, though. I'm in 8, and the hunt expires in a week. Time to rush.

13 Phoenix Downs later and 18 Potions later I won the new Hunt.

500 AP, half a mil Gil = not a bad reward.

I think there is no challenge now in these Hunts as long as I can use 99x Phoenix Downs etc. They need to put some "No Items" Hunt for some real challenge.

2 Malboros, 2 Malborodooms. The former are a piece of piss. The latter are a pain in in the arse with the babies they spawn.

Still, job well done. A couple of high and mega potions, one megalixer (mostly out of laziness), one phoenix down and the monsters are dead. Nice to actually use some of the Mega Potions I have, I keep getting told that I'm full when I kill enemies, especially last week against the cactuars. Unfortunately, these guys are less rewarding for both EXP and AP, so I'll give it a miss. If there's anything I've learnt from these past two times quests, it's that I really need to get a fourth Ribbon. And that all AP will go towards the third accessory slots before anything else.

Interesting that, at least on my file, it says that it's active from Chapter 1 onwards when like the first one you can't actually get there from chapter 1. Maybe it means that we'll see hunts in
Altissia
or
Insomnia
. Maybe we'll return to places we only can get to once. Maybe my update's bugged and it's actually meant to be chapter 11, as mentioned earlier, and I'm overthinking things..

In any case, I might use my gil winnings to eat around and fill up Ignis' recipe list. Anything to avoid doing more of those sealed dungeons.

Or more likely I'll just avoid this game altogether until the next hunt and continue playing Zelda.

Top Bottom