• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV |OT2| For Jared!

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
So, uh, I'm about 20 hours in now, just right after Altissa.

My impression of the story so far, even after seeing the supplementary media prior to the game:
source.gif

Also, I haven't gotten a single Game Over yet, so I'm rather impressed with myself although I feel like many others were probably in a similar situation.

DOWN

Banned
Yeah I’m 25 hours in (Chapter 11) and saw Kingsglaive and kinda think the story would be hell to understand if I didn’t know the setup of what happened in regards to rings and crystals and Luna and Regis and her brother and Tenebrae . The game doesn’t give more than glimpses at the movie points that are very key to the situation. The characters weirdly grasp lots of things that are never really explained in the game but were in Kingsglaive

I would find this very hard to follow without it.

But having seen it, I really like this game. This is my only experience with Final Fantasy besides FFX.

DOWN

Banned
I just finished the game for the first time and very much liked the 3rd act although I was a wuss and played Chapter 13 verse 2 because I didn’t want to chance being on the side that hates original Chapter 13 on my first experience.

Overall one of the best games I’ve played this gen for sure. Really beautifully designed ending visually.

Is there somewhere I can read interpretations of the ending scenes?

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Yeah I'm 25 hours in (Chapter 11) and saw Kingsglaive and kinda think the story would be hell to understand if I didn't know the setup of what happened in regards to rings and crystals and Luna and Regis and her brother and Tenebrae . The game doesn't give more than glimpses at the movie points that are very key to the situation. The characters weirdly grasp lots of things that are never really explained in the game but were in Kingsglaive

I would find this very hard to follow without it.

Yeah, I haven't finished the game yet, but I'm not a fan of how many gaps of info are going on as I play through the story, particularly those moments that are clearly meant for the DLC chapters. I even sometimes wonder if I should have re-watched Brotherhood and Kingsglaive before hand because plenty of stuff are still flying through my head. In fact, I might even say that XIII has a slight edge in how its story is put together despite the fact it just went insane with its lore (even more so in its sequels).

That said, I really admire a lot of the effort that went on to details of rest of the game, especially with the world and how you interact with it. The only other huge problem I have are those extremely clunky as hell, "press O" to win boss fights. This really does feel like a step in the right direction for a more modern FF. But there's just no denying that it feels like Nomura and Tabata bit more than they could chew and thus, the game still suffers significantly for it.

Koozek

I just finished the game for the first time and very much liked the 3rd act although I was a wuss and played Chapter 13 verse 2 because I didn't want to chance being on the side that hates original Chapter 13 on my first experience.

Overall one of the best games I've played this gen for sure. Really beautifully designed ending visually.

FWIW, in FFXV's Ultimania book (something like a bible with interviews/concept art/explanations that comes out in Japan for every FF), it says the ending was supposed to be open to interpretation (if that was translated correctly).

Guess the interpretation that most agree on is:
Ardyn, the demons, and the darkness plaguing the world are gone for good after Noctis sacrificed himself to kill Ardyn and the demons inside him with all the strength gained through the power of his forefathers, the Ring of the Lucii, and the Crystal. The bros are still alive. Noctis and Luna married in the "afterlife". The mid-credit scene of the bros camping and Noctis trying to tell them what he feels for them was obviously from the last night before they left for Insomnia.

This summary seems to explain most of the story well enough, haven't read it fully though:
http://tay.kinja.com/nyrens-corner-explaining-final-fantasy-xvs-story-heav-1790243890

EDIT: If you're unsure about anything the FF Wikia is a pretty good source. For example on the Starscourge:
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Starscourge

I just finished the game for the first time and very much liked the 3rd act although I was a wuss and played Chapter 13 verse 2 because I didn’t want to chance being on the side that hates original Chapter 13 on my first experience.

Overall one of the best games I’ve played this gen for sure. Really beautifully designed ending visually.

Awesome! Glad you enjoyed it! ^_^

FWIW, in FFXV's Ultimania book (something like a bible with interviews/concept art/explanations that comes out in Japan for every FF), it says the ending was supposed to be open to interpretation (if that was translated correctly).

Guess the interpretation that most agree on is:
Ardyn, the demons, and the darkness plaguing the world are gone for good after Noctis sacrificed himself to kill Ardyn and the demons inside him with all the strength gained through the power of his forefathers, the Ring of the Lucii, and the Crystal. The bros are still alive. Noctis and Luna married in the "afterlife". The mid-credit scene of the bros camping and Noctis trying to tell them what he feels for them was obviously from the last night before they left for Insomnia.

This summary seems to explain most of the story well enough, haven't read it fully though:
http://tay.kinja.com/nyrens-corner-explaining-final-fantasy-xvs-story-heav-1790243890

EDIT: If you're unsure about anything the FF Wikia is a pretty good source. For example on the Starscourge:
http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Starscourge

I'd say that is a pretty good interpretation of it. ;)

Sylas

Figured I might as well ask here... I bought and downloaded Episode Prompto but it isn't showing up on my DLC menu. It says it's installed but it's not there. I've rebooted my PS4, reinstalled FFXV as a whole, rebuilt my library and nada, nothin'.

I don't understand this game. It's not clicking.

The combat is a clusterfuck. The frame pacing issues + super zoomed out camera and multiple enemies = what the fuck is even happening most of the time?

The map is the worst I've ever seen. You have to squint and read a bunch of text to understand what you're looking at. It's a big pixelated mess with dozens of tiny, similar looking icons overlapping each other.

Mentioned earlier but the frame pacing makes my eyes puke. I can deal with 30 fps. I can deal with drops. No problem. But this is a CONSTANT. It's always annoying. How can you guys stand this?

I want to like this game so badly. At this point I feel even XIII is leagues ahead in quality. At least that game did some things right.

ViciousDS

Banned
I wonder if the xbox one x version is going to be insanely better than the PS4 Pro version.

Microsoft has done a lot of stuff down to their own OS software and hardware.

We all know that the xbox one version of FFXV had no frame pacing issues despite it having a lower visual quality.

What if the X version has the same frame pacing but jacks up the visuals ten fold?

I'm actually really interested in seeing how it turns out.

I double dipped completely on both consoles and am really excited in the X version to play all the DLC and fixes of chapter 13.

I haven't played the game on my Pro since beating it, which was before the timed hunts and the Gladiolus DLC.

This game despite some major flaws is still one of my favorite games of all time.

Combine that and that I will have an LG C7 TV.......oh yes, I can't wait to see all the new stuff in XV

MilkBeard

I actually found myself a bit disappointed with Episode Prompto. More glitchy than the main game, some of the event sequences were too simplistic. The
end shooting on rails thing
was kinda cool but simple with no difficulty to it. Also, the dialogue felt worse than the main game. I think it's because there were too many one-liners in a short period of time. There are many in the main game, but they happen more from the chit-chat between bros, which I think makes it more believable, and if I remember, and were spaced out enough so I wasn't annoyed by them. But the back and forth between Prompto and Areana I just felt was cheesy.

There were some cool scenes though. I loved the scene with
Verstael
and thought that was cool, as well as seeing some of the mechanisms of the facility, and the
mecha gorilla boss was cool too
. And Ardyn is cool as usual.

I'm one of the people who thinks Episode Gladio was fine as it was--it was a fun little trial with a good final boss, and some light story background to some of the characters. I actually think it was a bit better overall. Hopefully Episode Ignis steps up the game a bit.

And SE writers, please lay off the quips and one-liners. You've been doing it for years, but I'm getting tired of them. Thanks.

ffxv-comrades-logo-1501077498225_1280w.jpg

Final Fantasy XV: Comrades Closed Beta is happening next week and I am super jazzed to play with you all. Who am I going to see online? I am ready for a good time.

Features

ffxv-comrades-expansion-screens-1.jpg

ffxv-comrades-expansion-screens-2.jpg

ffxv-comrades-expansion-screens-3.jpg

ffxv-comrades-expansion-screens-4.jpg

Details:
This closed online test is an exclusive preview that allows you to experience select elements of the upcoming multiplayer expansion. Take your custom avatar on multiplayer quests with up to three other players. Noctis and his friends will also be made playable at a later date.

• Beta entry is for those who own the season pass.
  • PlayStation®Plus required.
  • You can create and save up to 8 characters.
  • Develop avatars using experience gained from defeating enemies and completing quests.
  • Noctis and his friends will also be made playable at a later date. (probably after Episode Ignis is out?)
  • Unlock customization elements with item purchases at outposts and quest rewards.
  • Hubs include a base camp and a city. The city will be in the full version, not the beta.
  • Weapons include katana, club, dagger, polearm, crossbow, shields, and shuriken.
  • Attack patterns vary from those of Noctis.
  • New system called Royal Sigils. Sounds to be the Kingsglaive magic thing. There will be 4 Royal Sigils in the beta.
  • Online parties will consist of four players. If you played alone you'll get 3 A.I companions.
  • The beta will include three quests.
  • There's a cooking system where you and your party collect ingredients during the quest to cook them afterward.
  • There's a thing called Meteorshards that sounds like a currency to unlock new quests.
  • You can create camps to meet up with friends.
  • You can take photographs.
  • Interact with other players using preset chat messages. Also supports voice chat.

Koozek

ffxv-comrades-logo-1501077498225_1280w.jpg

Final Fantasy XV: Comrades Closed Beta is happening next week and I am super jazzed to play with you all. Who am I going to see online? I am ready for a good time.

Features

ffxv-comrades-expansion-screens-1.jpg

ffxv-comrades-expansion-screens-2.jpg

ffxv-comrades-expansion-screens-3.jpg

ffxv-comrades-expansion-screens-4.jpg

Details:
This closed online test is an exclusive preview that allows you to experience select elements of the upcoming multiplayer expansion. Take your custom avatar on multiplayer quests with up to three other players. Noctis and his friends will also be made playable at a later date.
Unfortunately it seems that the core FFXV-GAF crew most of them don't have PS+ and used up their trial. Maybe for the full version some will get a 1 month sub. I should be in next week, though! Gonna use the 14-days trial. Most of you guys seem to live in US timezones, which could be an issue for me next week because I have to be up pretty early for a daily course. We'll see though :)

Unfortunately it seems that the core FFXV-GAF crew most of them don't have PS+ and used up their trial. Maybe for the full version some will get a 1 month sub. I should be in next week, though! Gonna use the 14-days trial. Most of you guys seem to live in US timezones, which could be an issue for me next week because I have to be up pretty early for a daily course. We'll see though :)

Majority of the beta is on the weekend so it should be fine! :D

This team has surprised me many times, hopefully they can do it again with this multiplayer.

The team works really hard on everything they do even if they're not always thanked or appreciated for that work. I have no doubt MP will be really fun to play. Looking forward to the beta. Can't believe it's a week away.

Man I can't wait for this, probably the thing I've been most hyped about with the DLC set. Can't wait to play with some people.

Some people hating on it because they think it's gross to have co op/multiplayer in a single player FF game in the other thread I guess but I've always wanted a co op type mode to play with people in.

Man I can't wait for this, probably the thing I've been most hyped about with the DLC set. Can't wait to play with some people.

Some people hating on it because they think it's gross to have co op/multiplayer in a single player FF game in the other thread I guess but I've always wanted a co op type mode to play with people in.
Been asking for news since it was announced I'm so ready

Koozek

I remember playing FFIX co-op with my best buddy back in the days :D Several older FFs had a simple two-player feature for combat.

I don't see any reason why there shouldn't be co-op in a future FF, especially if it's action-based, even during the main game if there's character-switching anyway and if the AI is otherwise good enough not to make the game unbalanced when playing alone. Doesn't take away anything and only adds another way to enjoy the game with friends.

Now, the issue with vanilla FFXV is that the battle-system obviously wasn't made with character-switching in mind and I still struggle to see how Gladio, Prompto, and Ignis' unique gameplay could be incorporated in the main game (which will probably not happen) or even in the multiplayer DLC eventually without a lot of rebalancing. It's a good thing the multiplayer has generic hunters with the same combat mechanics, but I wonder how they're gonna make the main party playable later on.

Nah. Some people just feel threatened because there are other FF games that they like that do multiplayer too

We really can't have a nice conversation about this game on this place like at all not once it's really crazy. Why are ppl writing off sales and talking about all this other non related stuff to confirm their biases. Guess I'm more salty been waiting for news on multiplayer a long time

Koozek

This might be related to this DLC:

New DLC Trophies appeared on https://www.xboxachievements.com/game/final-fantasy-xv/achievements/

DLC Unknown TBD

Seize the Moment 10 Performed 10 full-hit cross chains.

Love Turned Tragic 10 ???

The secret Trophy says
Defeat Melusine
[spoiler:
it's monster from FFV, see
].​

Source.

---

Also, here are the locations from the DLC screens in the actual main game world:

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Inxf8b9.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/AK95j9J.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/vzomchr.jpg[/IMG]

[URL="https://www.reddit.com/r/FFXV/comments/6prdd6/side_by_side_screens_of_comrades_dlc_areas_to/"]Source.[/URL]

We really can't have a nice conversation about this game on this place like at all not once it's really crazy. Why are ppl writing off sales and talking about all this other non related stuff to confirm their biases. Guess I'm more salty been waiting for news on multiplayer a long time

It's the same handful of people, just put them on the ignore list.

Koozek

Interesting. I'm assuming this'll be a free DLC pack?

I hope they add more trophies in the future for fishing, cooking, optional dungeons, etc. that don't count toward the platinum.
If those trophies are for the multiplayer DLC, then no, it's not free. Who knows what it's for. Though they usually added trophies before the DLC episodes released together with the preperation patch days prior, so I assume these are for the multiplayer beta next week.

Finally finished the game. Despite my earlier rant I did end up enjoying it overall. This might be simultaneously the worst and best game I've ever played. There's just something about it that is very special. You can almost forgive the endless flaws.

I think the series has a bright future. SE seem committed to pulling it out of the mud with the way they saved both XIV and XV from being total disasters. Ready for XVI to blow everyone away.

flkraven

I just finished the game. Got most of the achievements. Going to jump back in to get that last big achievement and call it a day...

I was super disappointed. Watched the anime and the movie, and I loved both (especially the movie, man that was great). Started the game amped up, and enjoyed the first few bits. But it just sort-of fell apart for me. Story, content, combat: all of it. Still trying to unpack my thoughts, but ultimately disappointed is the best summation.

Honestly from a story perspective, it would have been much more interesting playing the protagonist from the movie.

flkraven

Also, I'm a sappy guy so it's not like I don't get in to stories. I mean (spoilers):

I was emotional at the end. Looking at the photos from Prompto, the guys chatting around the fire, etc. Felt weirdly nostalgic. Moreso than I was in the last mainline game. But I was still...disappointed.

cj_iwakura

Also, I'm a sappy guy so it's not like I don't get in to stories. I mean (spoilers):

I was emotional at the end. Looking at the photos from Prompto, the guys chatting around the fire, etc. Felt weirdly nostalgic. Moreso than I was in the last mainline game. But I was still...disappointed.

I think it's because, at the end of the day, it's a very bleak ending. The party are dead, full stop. Ardyn won. They should have at least let Noctis survive and carry on with Iris a new wife or something.

I just finished the game. Got most of the achievements. Going to jump back in to get that last big achievement and call it a day...

I was super disappointed. Watched the anime and the movie, and I loved both (especially the movie, man that was great). Started the game amped up, and enjoyed the first few bits. But it just sort-of fell apart for me. Story, content, combat: all of it. Still trying to unpack my thoughts, but ultimately disappointed is the best summation.

Honestly from a story perspective, it would have been much more interesting playing the protagonist from the movie.

If you have the season pass, it's worth it to play through Prompto and chapter 13-2. It doesn't fix the story, but they both help quite a bit. It's a shame they have no plans to properly weave the DLC back into the main game, because it'd go a long way to relieve some fatigue in the later parts of the game.

If you have the season pass, it's worth it to play through Prompto and chapter 13-2. It doesn't fix the story, but they both help quite a bit. It's a shame they have no plans to properly weave the DLC back into the main game, because it'd go a long way to relieve some fatigue in the later parts of the game.

You can play Chapter 13-2 without season pass. It's free.

Toth

The new Link system from Episode Duscae was certainly unexpected. I wonder if they are gearing up for a Hard Mode to make use of it.

Top Bottom