• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Pocket Edition announced (iOS/And/W10), same plot, Fall 2017

duckroll

There's even more footage in the Universe trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oZLvbaxGEQ

rwf0qk1.jpg
Z3ODmFs.jpg

klf4MX1.jpg
1CybDkW.jpg

ul9F5ij.jpg
AqCrmRi.jpg

Dinjoralo

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

I... Guess I can understand this move? But could they at least make the main characters... I don't know, not look like weird aliens? Chubby styles can work, but this does not work.

theofficefan99

I mean, by the looks of the like/dislike ratio, there are demonstrably more people who liked that video than people who disliked it. Anyone who vocalizes their dislike is by definition a part of the "vocal minority".

You win this round, FFXV Defenders.............................................

duckroll

Okay managed to watch the Twitch demo of the game and the stuff they talked about. I think this is actually a solid effort. it's definitely ??????? in terms of "who asked for this" but it's a total demake of the console game with an... interesting art direction. The pricing is interesting too. 10 episodes, first one is free, and the remaining 9 are individual purchases. It'll be interesting to see how much the entire thing costs in a bundle. 20 bucks? 30 bucks? How much per episode? 3 bucks? 5 bucks?

Jimm

These graphics are hideous. The game has been out for less than a year and already they are making a new version. Unprecedented hahaha.

Toth

Rewatching it, I think it's pretty smart for SE to cash in on the mobile market. The artwork aside, the game looks pretty damn decent. Reminds me a lot of DQ 11's approach tbh

EctoPrime

Seems to be a linear version of the main game. Weird to go with the chibi artstyle when something resembling the 3d character models in FF8 would be a better fit.

MarkusRJR

Looks ugly art style wise. Still, makes me wish I had a phone capable of handling games without overheating. Must be awesome being able to play an RPG on the go wherever you are.

This is an interesting move, who would have expected that just a year after console release, we’d be able to play a mainline Final Fantasy on our phones! Particularly one that had such a big focus on its graphical presentation.

Sure, its art style is a bit weird, but it reminds me of the old days, where they’d try to cram an arcade game onto a far, far less powerful game console, to the point where the console ports were basically different games.

jackdoe

I hope the story isn't a 1:1 with the console version and that they pull off a Shinn Asuka in SRW Z with Luna's character.

Sandfox

Okay managed to watch the Twitch demo of the game and the stuff they talked about. I think this is actually a solid effort. it's definitely ??????? in terms of "who asked for this" but it's a total demake of the console game with an... interesting art direction. The pricing is interesting too. 10 episodes, first one is free, and the remaining 9 are individual purchases. It'll be interesting to see how much the entire thing costs in a bundle. 20 bucks? 30 bucks? How much per episode? 3 bucks? 5 bucks?

This is SE so it will be expensive.

wilstreak

they could at least makes it looks more like World of Final Fantasy or Dissidia Omnia, but instead going with this design that tbh looks....... hideous.

Dengeki states 360¥ each. 2800¥ for all.

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/578/1578058/

In a vacuum, I'm sure the mobile game would be a runaway hit. But there's already a console version as well as an upcoming PC version. Why does this even need to exist in the first place? I mean, it's not even a parody (like all those Lego games), it's just a straight up re-telling using chibi characters.

silva1991

I mean, it's a cool and all, but why the bad artstyle?

They could have used Bravely Default artstyle and it would have been much better.

happy to see that translator-san again after so long haha

Robin64

In a vacuum, I'm sure the mobile game would be a runaway hit. But there's already a console version as well as an upcoming PC version. Why does this even need to exist in the first place? I mean, it's not even a parody (like all those Lego games), it's just a straight up re-telling using chibi characters.

I am definitely in the minority, but I'm looking forward to playing this game more with the chibi cartoon style than with the same open world look everything is doing.

The models do need touching up a bit though, bring them closer to BD proportions, but I guess it's too late now.

duckroll

Dengeki states 360¥ each. 2800¥ for all.

http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/578/1578058/

Nice catch. That interview also has Tabata saying that development on the Pocket Edition started after Episode Duscae was released in 2015, so they've been developing it for about 2 years. But they actually decided to make this from the start of development 4 years ago.

He also says that the 10 chapter game will take about 20 hours to complete. He also says there are no sidequests (so no open world) in the game, it is only meant to recreate the core story of FFXV in mobile form. Each chapter is all story and about 2 hours long.

duckroll

Added details from the interview to the OP. Based on the JP pricing I think we can expect ~$3.50 per episode, maybe ~$25 for the entire set.

Nice catch. That interview also has Tabata saying that development on the Pocket Edition started after Episode Duscae was released in 2015, so they've been developing it for about 2 years. But they actually decided to make this from the start of development 4 years ago.

He also says that the 10 chapter game will take about 20 hours to complete. He also says there are no sidequests (so no open world) in the game, it is only meant to recreate the core story of FFXV in mobile form. Each chapter is all story and about 2 hours long.

yea, I was doubting this game to be open world from the beginning, but still a nice way to let you enjoy the story on handhelds.

Tyaren

Characters went from hot to...

final-fantasy-xv-update-includes-survey-for-what-dlc-you-wan_n8w4.png

ul9F5ij.jpg

Final%20Fantasy%2015%20screenshot%20(3).jpg

35924157433_c8235fac51_o.jpg

...not. ;)

I personally would've liked the cuter World of Final Fantasy stylistic when they already go for that deformed chibi look.

I was just thinking recently about how the era of reduced quality GB/GBC/GBA ports are gone.

Good to see them back; it'll be interesting to see what they come up with.

evolve9

It will be hilarious if this tells a more cohesive story than the original due to the more focused nature of the game/no open world. Anyway, demakes have always been fascinating and wierdly cool to me so if this doesn't suck major balls I might pick it up.

Why are the characters so hideous looking? There are far better ways to chibify them while retaining their charm. This is just ugly.

Top Bottom