• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV SIGGRAPH 2016 Tech Talk and Presentations

Koozek

Why think this? They would cut any finished content for dlc if they had to. After all that hullabaloo with Uncovered and the release of Kingsglaive, it would be critical and financial suicide.

I was only half-serious. Though, if they really realized "Nah, we can't release it like this, it would make more damage to the brand than the internet hate when we announce a delay", I could definitely see them do it, especially if it would just be 2 months more or so to glue everything together a bit more. As I said before in the grand scheme of things nobody remembers delays if the game is good in the end. See Uncharted 4, which was delayed thrice and nobody talks about that anymore. And FFXV will always be "the game that took 10 years", anyway - a few more months wouldn't make a difference. However you could just release it anyway, hope the strengths of the game are big enough to make most gamers overlook the technical flaws or bugs on release and iron it out over time with several patches, like The Witcher 3.

Ishida

Banned
I don't know why you guys just assume Nomura is sad/angry about the whole Versus/XV thing.

The guy was given direction of the remake for Square's most popular video game ever. I bet he doesn't give two shits about being removed from the XV project.

I don't know why you guys just assume Nomura is sad/angry about the whole Versus/XV thing.

The guy was given direction of the remake for Square's most popular video game ever. I bet he doesn't give two shits about being removed from the XV project.

If that's the case you'd really expect him to have been able to comment on it. He's been so silent about the project even when asked that it seems like the company isn't allowing him to comment. Also, this was a project he worked on for close to a decade and that he seemingly built from scratch in his personal image of what Final Fantasy is. It's weird to assume he'd have no attachment to the project or feelings about being removed and then seeing the game drastically changed.

Koozek

Yeah, jokes aside, I don't think he cares that much either. But we'll never know for sure. They should really do an interview with him and Tabata, though. Just a general talk about the whole project, Nomura's view on the development etc. Tabata's doing long, random interviews with Sakaguchi and Tekken's Harada, why not with Nomura?

Didn't someone posted an article about Nomura saying he feels anger and his trying to convey that into kingdom hearts or something along those lines?

It was about the same time he was let go from FFXV.

Ishida

Banned
If that's the case you'd really expect him to have been able to comment on it. He's been so silent about the project even when asked that it seems like the company isn't allowing him to comment. Also, this was a project he worked on for close to a decade and that he seemingly built from scratch in his personal image of what Final Fantasy is. It's weird to assume he'd have no attachment to the project or feelings about being removed and then seeing the game drastically changed.

I'm not saying he has no attachment, of course he does. But I highly doubt he is angry about it. I'm sure he knows the game is in great hands, and while some of his original vision has been changed, at least the game will actually see the light of day.

PSY・S;212130783 said:
Why would he be more excited to work on FF7 again than an entirely new FF of his own?

Why not?

Koozek

PSY・S;212130783 said:
Why would he be more excited to work on FF7 again than an entirely new FF of his own?

Probably why he, as someone who had a lot more input on FFVII than many know (base story, concepts and key moments like
Aerith
's death etc.), takes all the liberties he wants with FFVII to make it feel fresh for us to experience and for him to make, and I love his mentality:

— There’s a lot of parts that are being altered. But have there not been any opposing voices to changing things from the original?

Nomura: There certainly are some staff who put too much of a focus on the ‘VII-ness’ and are resistant to changing it. But that FFVII-ness isn’t something you can easily point to and say ‘that’s it!’ about, and it means different things for different people. I’ve got a lot of attachment to VII myself. But those “feelings” and being “trapped” by the FF of the past are two separate things. If you make up your mind, “‘FF is like this,” then you can’t make FF.

— I see. What do you think the requirements for a FF creator are, Mr. Nomura?

Nomura: I think that love for FF alone isn’t enough to make FF. Someone who isn’t satisfied with FF can make it. A creator has to be someone who wants to change FF, to surpass it. Kitase and myself, all the staff from back then rewrote FF in that way. And with this remake too, we’re naturally going into it with that same mettle. The next time we will be able to bring you info about this game will be in the winter and beyond that, but I promise that we will show you something surprising that breaks away from the concept of FF that we’ve seen so far. ​

r65lsXJ.png

I'll assume he was forced to leave the project and square gave him director duties for 7r to save face.

My theory was always that he wanted a trilogy and SE said no, to do everything under one game ( given how 13 came out yet they doing 7r in parts ) and he wouldn't comprise his vision so he got the boot. Tabata is basically the clean-up man doing his best to complete a project that isn't his passion,characters or world. I still respect Tabata a great deal he's the ultimate manager.

Thing is when the project was versus he never had the expectation of this game being a mainline and given all the fuck ups with 13 and vanilla 14 Versus was forced to morph into something else that wasn't originally planed.

artsi

I'll assume he was forced to leave the project and square gave him director duties for 7r to save face.

My theory was always that he wanted a trilogy and SE said no, to do everything under one game ( given how 13 came out yet they doing 7r in parts ) and he wouldn't comprise his vision so he got the boot. Tabata is basically the clean-up man doing his best to complete a project that isn't his passion,characters or world.

Well yeah, Tabata straight out said that management gave him the project asking if he could complete it with X budget and Y deadline, and he accepted.

But even if it's not "his" creation I doubt that he lacks passion making it, it's still a mainline entry in their flagship series and hell of a chance for Tabata.

Ran rp

Even though I've never played VII I'm still looking forward to it more than XV lol. I want to see how he further breaks away from FF tradition.

Still don't see why he'd be more excited about this than finishing Versus, though. Yeah it'll be fun to revisit the world again but VII is still old news.

PSY・S;212132838 said:
Even though I've never played VII I'm still looking forward to it more than XV lol. I want to see how he further breaks away from FF tradition.

Still don't see why he'd be more excited about this than finishing Versus, though. Yeah it'll be fun to revisit the world again but VII is still old news.

Releasing in an episodic format.

Well yeah, Tabata straight out said that management gave him the project asking if he could complete it with X budget and Y deadline, and he accepted.

But even if it's not "his" creation I doubt that he lacks passion making it, it's still a mainline entry in their flagship series and hell of a chance for Tabata.

Definitely, it's chance for him to move up the ranks. I still feel the same excitement I did when it was originally shown. To be honest Tabata has endured a lot of crap from us fans at times and I wish the game succeeds not only for his sake and ours but for the future of FF titles. I'm forever grateful to Tabata though.

Some really interesting stuff in the OP.

Man... It's so hard to believe we're two months away from actually getting this. Feels surreal.

Please tell me there's no chance of another delay.

Man... It's so hard to believe we're two months away from actually getting this. Feels surreal.

I'm the opposite, I want FFXV to be delayed till November for neo patch version :)
but I doubt that will happen :(

Koozek are you an FF historian part time or full time?
Do you know if the Titan demo shown in China and at E3 was running on a console, I mean could you actually see a PS4 behind the glass or display?

How did it run?

Delay? 0 chance. this game will get TW3 treatment in terms of patches. No worries my friend.

Do you know if the Titan demo shown in China and at E3 was running on a console, I mean could you actually see a PS4 behind the glass or display?

How did it run?

Titan demo was a stable 30 and yes it was running on consoles at e3 btw.

Koozek historian? Lol 10 years of following a game will make you a sage.

Tyaren

How did it run?

Lol, you don't need to be a FF historian to answer that. The E3 demo as well as the Japan Expo (France) demo and the demo in China were console versions. People were playing them live on PS4 and XBOne. The demos all ran stable. Digital Foundry made a video about that.

Ran rp

Releasing in an episodic format.

Idk... now that I know each episode will be a full-length JRPG and the complete package will probably take ~6+ years to finish.... I'm not sure if that point is too exciting anymore. For the players, at least.

Maybe it is for Nomura ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Toth

I was only half-serious. Though, if they really realized "Nah, we can't release it like this, it would make more damage to the brand than the internet hate when we announce a delay", I could definitely see them do it, especially if it would just be 2 months more or so to glue everything together a bit more. As I said before in the grand scheme of things nobody remembers delays if the game is good in the end. See Uncharted 4, which was delayed thrice and nobody talks about that anymore. And FFXV will always be "the game that took 10 years", anyway - a few more months wouldn't make a difference. However you could just release it anyway, hope the strengths of the game are big enough to make most gamers overlook the technical flaws or bugs on release and iron it out over time with several patches, like The Witcher 3.

Gotcha. I am just nervous (as most fans probably are) about a delay actually happening...

Jeels

My theory was always that he wanted a trilogy and SE said no, to do everything under one game ( given how 13 came out yet they doing 7r in parts ) and he wouldn't comprise his vision so he got the boot. Tabata is basically the clean-up man doing his best to complete a project that isn't his passion,characters or world. I still respect Tabata a great deal he's the ultimate manager.

Thing is when the project was versus he never had the expectation of this game being a mainline and given all the fuck ups with 13 and vanilla 14 Versus was forced to morph into something else that wasn't originally planed.

It's interesting to think Square is still reeling from a chain of decisions that were started in the early 2000's.

Ran rp

See, I can see a full-length episodic FF being exciting for a completely new world like Versus'. But people have already played VII countless times and it's been expanded on for years.

I'm not saying he has no attachment, of course he does. But I highly doubt he is angry about it. I'm sure he knows the game is in great hands, and while some of his original vision has been changed, at least the game will actually see the light of day.

It sounds more like Tabata was brought in as a hatchet man to complete the project in one game within a certain timeframe and at a certain budget. And again, Nomura hasn't been able to comment on XV, a project he was involved with for seven years, beyond saying something like:

"It was the company's decision. I can't say more."

I sincerely doubt Nomura as a creator is very happy about the way things went, especially given the interviews where he basically straight said he was angry despite not mentioning the project.

My realistic expectations of the game are

The game wont run at a stable 30FPS especially during battles

I wont be satisfied with the hud or controls

FFX will get a 5.5 meta critic score within a few days but will eventually be bumped up to 7.2

There will always be those who call it a failure due to nomura vision being lost in the final product.

Gaf FFXV defense force will eventually loose the battle

We will get an International FFXV version neo patched and everything that will add 3 more summons, Nix DLC prologue story and new ending and this version will be awesome, but it will be to late.

EDIT:
What I would like to see happen is:

FFXV becomes the best selling game of all time

The Japense ps4 market finally catches up to north america becuase of it.

SE begins to remaking and making sequels to Secret of mana and chrono trigger using the FFXV engine :)

notaskwid

FFX will get a 5.5 meta critic score within a few days but will eventually be bumped up to 7.2

There will always be those who call it a failure due to nomura vision being lost in the final product.

We will get an International FFXV version neo patched and everything that will add 3 more summons, Nix DLC prologue story and new ending and this version will be awesome, but it will be to late.

You'll end up disappointed then.

Mifec

EDIT:

SE begins to remaking and making sequels to Secret of mana and chrono trigger using the FFXV engine :)

I don't think this game is gonna get that low scores even if it doesn't turn out too good.

EDIT:

Do you suffer the Final Fantasy decease?

Koozek

Way too high. I'm expecting something around 4.7 at best after a few weeks.

How an average score of 5.5 is realistic? That's worse than Lightning Returns. Actually, that would be the same disaster disaster that FF XIV was.

How an average score of 5.5 is realistic? That's worse than Lightning Returns. Actually, that would be the same disaster disaster that FF XIV was.

I'm betting on those people who like to see things burn
I can already see the "lol9 it took ten 11 years for this"
"lol jrpg" reviews of people giving a 0 saying things like "J-pop boy band with horrible frame rate"

And on and on and on........

"lol jrpg" reviews of people giving a 0 saying things like "J-pop boy band with horrible frame rate"

Isn't that just a internet meme thing I haven't seen the professional articles and sites harp on those points at all really in fact ffxv even with the Titan demo seems to get its fair share of praise. At the absolute worst I expect 70ish metacritic and even than that's not bad(by my standards of course we all know it's 85+ or bust for everyone else

Ran rp

It'll do alright with reviewers and the average joe will probably eat it up. Unless they truly fuck something up I don't see it reviewing poorly.

Tyaren

Come on guys, mainline FFs have usually good scores, even the widely disliked FFXIII games. Do you guys really think this is going to be the by far worst FF? 5.5 out of 10? Lol. That's not realistic that's as pessimist as it gets.
I hope for the game to be amazing...but I think it will turn out "just" good.

I have the feeling the story, the game world, music and graphics (yes, graphics, because most aren't as critical as we are ;)) will be big pluses of the game. I can see the battle system being controversial though...

Damsung

Banned
But I highly doubt he is angry about it. I'm sure he knows the game is in great hands, and while some of his original vision has been changed, at least the game will actually see the light of day.

Seems very baseless. Any director would be upset that they got their creation taken away from them.

Come on guys, mainline FFs have usually good scores, even the widely disliked FFXIII games. Do you guys really think this is going to be the by far worst FF? 5.5 out of 10? Lol. That's not realistic that's as pessimist as it gets.
I hope for the game to be amazing...but I think it will turn out "just" good.

I have the feeling the story, the game world, music and graphics (yes, graphics, because most aren't as critical as we are ;)) will be big pluses of the game. I can see the battle system being controversial though...

I think at a lot of people could consider it the worst FF in modern times because it strays faaaaar from the typical path. It will be interesting to see how the game is received.

Most of the people that review notable series are usually fan boys/girls of the series as it is a perk of the job, often totally unaware of technical issues or do not care. Any producer financing a multimillion dollar game will have a list of reviewers to lock down in a conflict of interest. If the game gets lower than an 8 meta critic I would be extremely surprised. As the game looks like it will take around 40 to 60 hours to complete a community consensus will take a while to develop. Look at MGS5, pretty much all reviews were favourable and apart from a few fans that went in the issues about pacing and story took a while to fully be established.

From what I have played and seen such as Brotherhood I would be surprised if the game gets lower than 9 on average. The AXB feels solid and looks like there is a large scope, there is the wait mode for people who like things a bit slower which FF hasn't had since the third game, the world looks large and interesting, the characters might have a bit more to them than meets initial impressions going by the additional media, the items/armour/weapons appear to be expansive and the ability to grind or go low level seems to be included. The only big unknowns really is the quality of the story and pacing.

Tyaren

I think at a lot of people could consider it the worst FF in modern times because it strays faaaaar from the typical path. It will be interesting to see how the game is received.

Since when does straying from the typical path automatically mean a game is the worst (in a series)? I'd also argue that most players of FFXV will play a Final Fantasy for the very first time. The incredibly long development time and the huge marketing push will take care of that.

benzy

Condensed translation of the 4gamer Siggraph article.

http://www.finalfantasy.net/xv/final-fantasy-xvs-visual-prowess-featured-siggraph-2016/

Square Enix has brought Final Fantasy XV to SIGGRAPH 2016, the world’s largest convention center for computer graphics and interactive techniques. The development team demonstrated the game’s engine powered by the company’s very own Luminous Studio, featuring the different processes of implementation that breathe life into the game’s environment.

4Gamer attended the session detailing the use of real-time technology in the game’s battles, with Square Enix’s Isamu Hasegawa (Senior Programmer, 2nd Business Division) and Yoichiro Minake (Lead Graphics R&D Engineer, Advanced Technology Division) on stage. A debug version demo was shown as seen above, showing the tools that manipulate objects which react to different situations during an ongoing battle. It should be noted that it was ran on a Windows PC as it’s a version used for development.

With the goal of Final Fantasy XV to be realistic as possible as a fantasy open-world RPG, detailed attention is paid to its intricate visual effects and its own laws of physics. The development team wants to achieve a “compelling photorealistic” impression that reproduces a world that closely parallels our reality, while considering the game’s own rules with its fantasy elements.

The sense of realism is deeply integrated into the environment and characters, strengthening the relation of both by adding effects to the latter’s smaller animations such as walking and their physical appearances. The same effect can be observed through the environmental changes caused by the characters’ actions. This close interaction between the characters’ AI and the environment adds depth to XV’s living world.

The Luminous engine uses a tool called celestial sphere simulation, which automatically generates the weather in different times of the day. Its changes are reflected on the environment and the characters, such as its lighting and colors spreading throughout the surface and the rain’s effects being clearly seen through the characters’ clothes and bodies being damp along with their own reactions.

The effects in the world’s weather has a strong relationship with the world’s elements, which is present in the use of magic. The simultaneous casting of Blizzard and Fire can result to a a brief alteration in the battle area’s weather, causing a rain.

As with any Final Fantasy game, a summoning magic is the most epic point of battles, and XV showcases this in accordance to the game’s scale and scope. The sequence is done in real-time with its impressive size, with its aftermath clearly shown in the battle field.​

Damsung

Banned
Since when does straying from the typical path automatically mean a game is the worst (in a series)? I'd also argue that most players of FFXV will play a Final Fantasy for the very first time. The incredibly long development time and the huge marketing push will take care of that.

It doesn't, but it could mean that to many people. Arguments have been made for other series that did this though like MGS, Splinter Cell, Tomb Raider, Devil May Cry, Tenchu, even the Witcher. People get pissed when their favorite series panders to some other audience, and often games that do this have a mislead idea of who will buy their game.

And I highly doubt XV will be the first FF for most people who buy it, that doesn't even make sense since FF has always been a popular game.

Worse than 13? Bruh pls

I know for a fact that a lot of fans like a diverse party and turn based combat more than the opposite(what XV has to offer). And that many people dislike open world games.

It doesn't, but it could mean that to many people. Arguments have been made for other series that did this though like MGS, Splinter Cell, Tomb Raider, Devil May Cry, Tenchu, even the Witcher. People get pissed when their favorite series panders to some other audience, and often games that do this have a mislead idea of who will buy their game.

And I highly doubt XV will be the first FF for most people who buy it, that doesn't even make sense since FF has always been a popular game.

I know for a fact that a lot of fans like a diverse party and turn based combat more than the opposite(what XV has to offer). And that many people dislike open world games.
No
I won't even address the first paragraph because well idk what you talking about with that. To your second point there's a reason everything is open world now a days whatever loud aggressive minority you're talking about don't let them make you think for a second the majority hates open worlds

People will always try to fight the future.

I really hope they bring a playable party back. ;;

That's coming back and XV was supposed to have a switchable characters but that's another conversation. Idk why folks are afraid like playable parties are gone forever lol don't forget that this game was originally meant to be a spinoff and doesn't dictate the future of FF.

Asd202

EDIT:

My mind is full of fuck.

What other market is the game pandering to? Pretty much every FF game is drastically different than the others. From 6 to 14 I can't think of a game in the series that is close enough to each other to pander to any specific audience beside the JRPG player or those that like the series specific creatures, summons and crystals. FF15 doesn't apear to buck that trend either.

From the story to the art style to the battle system or even type of exploration there are no two Final Fantasy's alike, even the spin offs are radically different than the numbered game they originate from.

Whompa02

From what I've seen, more casual players are excited for the change than not. Sounds like conjecture tbh.

That's coming back and XV was supposed to have a switchable characters but that's another conversation. Idk why folks are afraid like playable parties are gone forever lol don't forget that this game was originally meant to be a spinoff and doesn't dictate the future of FF.

I've been following VII, I'm aware it has a playable party in it don't worry. Sucks they for some reason can't swing it in XV despite a game of similar scale doing it. It's funny you should mention the spin-off thing, because when this game was a spin-off it had a playable party.

Damsung

Banned
No
I won't even address the first paragraph because well idk what you talking about with that. To your second point there's a reason everything is open world now a days whatever loud aggressive minority you're talking about don't let them make you think for a second the majority hates open worlds

I didn't say a majority hate them or that the game will sell poorly or whatever. I just said that a lot of people dislike open world games.

A bit off-topic, but it is true that games previously not open world are now going open world to follow the trend. But sometimes it makes a game more shallow and empty than it would have been otherwise. Less polish on the actual game since the developers are struggling with enlarging the world. We saw that In Witcher and MGS recently.

They said the fate of console gaming in Japan hinges on this game!

What other market is the game pandering to? Pretty much every FF game is drastically different than the others. From 6 to 14 I can't think of a game in the series that is close enough to each other to pander to any specific audience beside the JRPG player or those that like the series specific creatures, summons and crystals. FF15 doesn't apear to buck that trend either.

From the story to the art style to the battle system or even type of exploration there are no two Final Fantasy's alike, even the spin offs are radically different than the numbered game they originate from.

Open world market for the big sales and action game markets? I don't know. I was just saying that some people don't like it. It's very different from the other FFs which given a glance at by anyone would know they were typical JRPGs. People will look at this and think "The Witcher" or even "Skyrim" before thinking Final Fantasy.

Top Bottom