• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV SIGGRAPH 2016 Tech Talk and Presentations

benzy

They did mention in one talk that the Luminous engine has advanced technology like LPV (light propagation volumes) that has been disabled in console builds for performance reasons. All those bells and whistles most likely were enabled in these SIGGRAPH videos, as they were made to showcase Luminous.

The game is going to look good, but common sense says not as good as a PC build with everything enabled.

They dropped fully dynamic light bounce altogether. This video is most definitely not using LPV or their propriety Spherical Gaussian Lights tech for GI.

u8Wb.jpg

Tyaren

Do you guys think the lighting will be dialed down significantly from Duscae? :( It had some really beautifully atmospheric lighting:

28367415370_aabeb37875_o.png

28619373006_21daa3e817_o.jpg

28034750414_d067b2be9e_o.jpg

That'd be such a shame...

benzy

Do you guys think the lighting will be dialed down significantly from Duscae? :( It had some really beautifully atmosperic lighting:

I think it'll just depend on time of day and weather to get a similar look. Duscae looked really drab around clear mid day too.

Tyaren

I think it'll just depend on time of day and weather to get a similar look. Duscae looked really drab around clear mid day too.

That is true, but I have the feeling characters, especially their skin, looked a lot more 3 dimensional, even by mid day, than what we've seen from recent videos and screens. Now the lighting seems much flatter with less contrast.

Koozek

Do you guys think the lighting will be dialed down significantly from Duscae? :( It had some really beautifully atmospheric lighting:

The facial expressions in FFXV are strangely the best in random moments like these compared to the actual cutscenes (though the comparison with still images might not really be fair, I admit). They look subtle and natural. In most games the characters would stand there with a closed mouth and dead eyes looking straight ahead.

Tyaren

The facial expressions in FFXV are strangely the best in random moments like these compared to the actual cutscenes (though the comparison with still images might not really be fair, I admit). They look subtle and natural. In most games the characters would stand there with a closed mouth and dead eyes looking straight ahead.

Yes, especially Prompto. He is a joy to berhold. XD

28545844432_6e446929e4_o.jpg

28035696794_056f28f1e1_o.jpg

28652821775_ebcc9f2b40_o.jpg

Haha, yes, we did. XD This was already posted a couple of days ago:

FFXIII:
2877510-2996631697-468px.jpg

FFXV:
fSwywrh.gif

So much better. To be fair the dog from FF XIII wasn't anything important to the story like this one from FF XV, but yeah, I get what you're saying.

PSY・S;211936296 said:

Poor Vanille =p

To be fair those were the low-poly models for certain in-game cutscenes :p

Here's the cutscene model:
Vanille_wish-1024x576.png

Why am I defending Vanille.

Yeah, you're right. But I was also comparing with the gameplay model of FF XV.

farisr

Man, looking at some of that pc footage, I really hope they end up taking proper advantage of the Neo, and that Neo releases this year.

You know, I just realized wh still haven't seen the Flan type enemies of FF XV. I'm pretty sure there will be one because every FF has one.

chozen

Idk why, but I've been seeing this Trailer for this game floating around twitter and 4chan,

https://youtu.be/z5El-yYNUwU?list=LL0-SPDeUfAUWkmqItsV3ilw&t=144

It's supposedly made by 1 guy using Unreal engine 4 and even though the gameplay looks shaky and have to give the guy credit.

Graphically it just looks good, and IDK if my eyes are deceiving me it looks up to par or better than these pics, maybe it's just Duscae that looks really boring..?

u8Wb.jpg

Idk why, but I've been seeing this Trailer for this game floating around twitter and 4chan,

It's supposedly made by 1 guy using Unreal engine 4 and even though the gameplay looks shaky and have to give the guy credit.

Graphically it just looks good, and IDK if my eyes are deceiving me it looks up to par or better than these pics, maybe it's just Duscae that looks really boring..?
Lol, noctis/nix rip off.

I'm expecting a similar shadow draw distance, lol. But yeah, I bet the LOD will be dialled back for everything else, particularly the grass. It'll probably grow in 3-4meters in front of the player.

Dark_castle

u8Wb.jpg

WTF, how does one guy make a game like that!? Also, yeah artistically it looks better than XV too in some of the environment. Combat also looks more fun and responsive. Damn.

benzy

I'm expecting a similar shadow draw distance, lol. But yeah, I bet the LOD will be dialled back for everything else, particularly the grass. It'll probably grow in 3-4meters in front of the player.

They improved the grass rendering itself but I don't think the draw distance is that much different than in Episode Duscae.

XBWb.jpg

UBWb.jpg

Pretty crazy to think that it's very likely in the next few weeks the game will go gold.

Hopefully the retail version looks similar to this.

Because the PS4 and Xbox One are not high-end PCs and they aren't releasing a PC version for the foreseeable future.
I'm so glad I don't play games with magnifying glasses to spot pixel differentials and random low-res objects. As long as it's good in motion with a great artistic design I could give a flying fuck

Trace

Banned
I'm so glad I don't play games with magnifying glasses to spot pixel differentials and random low-res objects. As long as it's good in motion with a great artistic design I could give a flying fuck

Would you rather play a PS3 game or a PS4 game, assuming the gameplay and controller is the same on both?

wmlk

The procedural clouds add so much more to the feel of it.

I need to see those soft shadows from clouds.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Also, yeah artistically it looks better than XV too in some of the environment. .

You must be kidding... looks obviously so amateurish -.-'

Btw should I be concerned that after two years they're still showing mostly Duscae? I do understand the theory that Tabata doesn't want it spoilered, but from a marketing point of view usually "spoilering" works really great.

Philippo

I'm down to do some human sacrifices in order to have this on the PS4 version, please Tabata-sama T.T

Btw should I be concerned that after two years they're still showing mostly Duscae? I do understand the theory that Tabata doesn't want it spoilered, but from a marketing point of view usually "spoilering" works really great.

Obviously not, Duscae is their test area, and that was a video for tech showing purposes.

You must be kidding... looks obviously so amateurish -.-'

I wouldn't worry for a really dumb reason. They don't expect this game to sell, they expect it to sell and then be resold over the years. From what we have seen in the trailers the world has a ton of variety, but when it comes to gameplay mechanics yeah we only see the same grassy plains. This far in I'm glad, I want this game as blind as possible.

Tyaren

I just hope they were smart and honest enough to run their tech demo with graphics settings that were close to the PS4 version. Since there are allegedly neither a PC version nor a Neo version planned at this moment everything else would imo be deceptive
To be honest I don't really see anything on that gif/in the video that the PS4 shouldn't be able to do. LOD isn't very high, shadow draw distance is medium too...the only thing that might be a bit critical is the ambient occlusion(?) of the grass tufts.

KupoNut

I just hope they were smart and honest enough to run their tech demo with graphics settings that were close to the PS4 version. Since there are allegedly neither a PC version nor a Neo version planned at this moment everything else would imo be deceptive
To be honest I don't really see anything on that gif/in the video that the PS4 shouldn't be able to do. LOD isn't very high, shadow draw distance is medium too...the only thing that might be a bit critical is the ambient occlusion(?) of the grass tufts.

It really should be able to run on consoles, they would be digging their own grave by showing it off like this and not meeting expectations in September.

Might've been posted before, but noticed in the Siggraph demo that Noctis inspects his arm to see if it started to rain, nice attention to detail.
Y9J2GWf.gif

Top Bottom