• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV stream featuring Tabata and Sakaguchi to be held on April 14th

Wow, I seeing the dream of heavy Gooch investment in a future FF as increasingly possible. He'd need a field general, and Ito might be perfect for that. Obviously his work with Kitase is legendary, but Kitase has his hands full with 7R.

There is so much PR going on for this game recently. I need my daily GAF dose, but I really want to go on blackout from FF XV. So I probably won't tune in to this, although I'm sure it will be fun to watch!

BumRush

There is so much PR going on for this game recently. I need my daily GAF dose, but I really want to go on blackout from FF XV. So I probably won't tune in to this, although I'm sure it will be fun to watch!

I'm doing my best to go blackout as well. Now's when you'll start getting location, story, etc. spoilers and that's what I'm trying to avoid. The game looks great and the direction they're going sounds awesome.

Koozek

What? How could I missed that news?
We know since 2013, see:
Already on the way. The concept of it is also quite unique. It will certainly be something that hasn't been done before in Final Fantasy, if they manage to accomplish it. I'd put it in the back of your mind for now though, as I would personally expect FF15 and KH3 to be out before it.

I knew of three. XV, another one which had a concept demo showcasing summons and traversal involving them and what I initially called FFXVI but now refer to as just another FF, and finally FF7. The middle one is what I assumed to be FFXVI or the next FF project beyond XV. This one comes out of nowhere. These spoilers are very detailed though. I'm hoping this is mobile, because if it's not, that means there is no FFXVI at the moment. There's no way SE can be doing this many big FF projects.

A lot of the FFs are a mash up in my eyes. Even IX which has the tone you're describing has airships and so on.

XVI will be the opposite of XIII though. It's not futuristic so you might get what you want with that.

I see where you got your line of thinking from. But no, I wasn't referring to the Agni tech showcase (that's not what a concept demo looks like), that's just what those posters assumed. And XVI is in development, it's not just concept now. I didn't know that for a fact 9 months ago, I do now.

You mean XVII, XVI is already being produced by someone else. Signs point to Hiroyuki Ito.
We haven't heard from that guy for more than a decade. I doubt if he is even at SE anymore.

Did any one of the most recent games have his name in credit? If no, he is long gone.

Koozek

We haven't heard from that guy for more than a decade. I doubt if he is even at SE anymore.

Did any one of the most recent games have his name in credit? If no, he is long gone.

He's done some iOS games for SE in the last few years. Also see this interview from 2013:

RPG Site: I can see Nomura-san's crew need the room back for their next interview, so I'm going to wrap up by betraying my inner fan and ask a more specific talent question - Hiroyuki Ito, the creator of ATB, the director of FF9 - my favourite, which of course you produced - and FF12... Is he still at the company - and is he working on anything that we already know about?

Hashimoto: [laughs] You're a very unique journalist, asking about Ito-san! Yeah. He's still at Square Enix. He's been planning and doing some proposals for a new project at the moment, so... Really, he's the kind of guy that wants to challenge new things all the time, so, yeah. At the moment, he's doing... [laughs] He's putting some ideas together.​

From Wiki:
In about 2012, Ito was tasked by producer Shinichi Tatsuke with the creation of a battle system for a new game. However, the plan changed and he was told a week later that there was a different project to consider. Tatsuke now requested a concept for a social game which he felt was an interesting opportunity to have Ito work on, given his experience with simple Nintendo Entertainment System game systems. This concept became Guardian Cross. In September 2012, Ito said that he would work on another Final Fantasy game if the company's president wished for it. The corporate executive of Square Enix's 1st Production Department, Shinji Hashimoto, mentioned in July 2013 that Ito was "planning and doing some proposals for a new project" and "putting some ideas together".​

He's still there. He most recently handled the battle design for a Vita and mobile game called Deadman's Cross. That was completed in 2014. So pre-production starting around then for XVI would make sense.

Hironobu Sakaguchi told me face-to-face while he was in London, he believes Hiroyuki Ito could make FF a leading and respected RPG series again.

So Sakaguchi's views have changed and he believes in Tabata now? :p

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
So Sakaguchi's views have changed and he believes in Tabata now? :p
He had no faith in Nomura.
lOFFr39.png

Verendus doesn't say anything about the staff involved.
Oh yeah?
Ito behind FF16 am confirmed.
:p, be sure to read the context behind that post.

Didn't I tell you last year that Sakaguchi and Uematsu might be on board again for a new FF ;)

Btw, here's what Sakaguchi said about Tabata in the aftershow stream:

“It really blew me away that there’s so many things. We have got the animated series, we’ve got the film, and first of all I was overwhelmed by the volume of content that has been produced, but then I looked to them all and I said “wow, they have such high quality as well, there’s nothing wrong with them, they’re flawless,” and I was just really amazed.”

“Tabata-san here, he’s really an amazing guy. You know, to make something of this quality and of this level, you need a lot of patience, and a lot of guts in a certain way. To get to this quality you need skill, you need passion, but you also need that determination, and I really felt that Tabata-san had that in spades.”

“Then I saw him today with that thing he did at the end, pushing the air button, I saw a whole side of him today and I thought… I actually felt that there was a real button there, and when he did that I was just “wow.” So yeah, he’s a pretty special guy.”​

Tabata's response:

“I just talked with Sakaguchi-san here and Amano-san, and I interacted with them in the past, telling them what we’re trying to do with Final Fantasy XV, and what we’re trying to achieve here. Seeing them today, inviting them to this event, seeing their reaction and what they’ve said about it, it really makes me feel great about what we’ve achieved with Final Fantasy XV. I think it was all worth it.”

“Hearing their messages today, and what they have said, and being here with the founding fathers of Final Fantasy… Hearing what they said about the game, and that they gave their thumbs up, and the confidence they have in it, it really fills us with motivation. We’re gonna push right to the end, and get this game out and to you guys. It’s really been a great experience, and it has really filled me with confidence, so thank you.”​

EPIC and all but,
Come on..............Why NOMURA?
Nomura is the freaking character creator, Noctis is his baby boy along with the rest of the characters, RIP Stella.

I just don't understand why Nomura was not at the event, even the music composer was there smh , I just don't get why artist always get the boot.

Dark_castle

They need to.

The franchise is in danger of becoming largely irrelevant. That's not good for the industry, as far as RPG viability is concerned.

Well, irrelevant is kind of a stretch. FF may not be as prominent as it was back in the SNES/PS1/PS2 era, but it still is a power house who can afford big budget in its production and marketing.

I want a FFXVI that plays like XII, with a more elaborate gambit system, and a party consisting of ten characters. All of this in a giant-ass open world.

EPIC and all but,
Nomura is the freaking character creator, Noctis is his baby boy along with the rest of the characters, RIP Stella.

I just don't understand why Nomura was not at the event, even the music composer was there smh , I just don't get why artist always get the boot.

Maybe he didnt want to be there? Kagari has hinted Nomura hates the changes that was done to his vision. So i can't really fault him.

EPIC and all but,

Nomura is extremely busy right now. Aside from from FF7R and KH3, there's no telling what other projects he has that he's working on as far being an artist goes. They aren't trying to erase his name from the project. When you boot up the Platinum Demo his name is featured on the opening menu. But the reality is that XV isn't his project anymore. Tabata's even said that Nomura doesn't know what's going on with it as they're in different divisions.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Is Tabata the chosen successor to the Gooch?

Ito and Matsuno are kill. Nomura is exiled to 50000 years of FFVII labor. Toriyama is still in an exclusive relationship with Lightning.

EPIC and all but,

It is time to let Nomura go from the game. He is still credited as a character designer for what it's worth.

I want a FFXVI that plays like XII, with a more elaborate gambit system, and a party consisting of ten characters. All of this in a giant-ass open world.
Sounds like it is coming if the linked theories are to be believed.

Ito and Matsuno are kill. Nomura is exiled to 50000 years of FFVII labor. Toriyama is still in an exclusive relationship with Lightning.

Nah, as Tabata is planning on working on new IP's after XV. So his plan is to be one and done.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

I'd love Matsuno to get another game with SE, especially if its something like a Vagrant Story sequel or a new FF Tactics game. I don't need him to work on the mainline FF series but just want his style of stories, characters and really deep gameplay

If FFXV is a huge hit critically and financially, I'm sure S-E can incentivize Tabata to not be one and done with FF.

I actually think he would convince SE to let him do type-next instead of XV sequel. IMO he's not really that attached to these characters or world like that since is not his creation ( and that's not a bad thing ) . I'm sure he loves the work he has done but you get what i'm saying.

EPIC and all but,

Nomura was probably busy with KH3 that day, who knows.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
You mean XVII, XVI is already being produced by someone else. Signs point to Hiroyuki Ito.

And by "signs" you mean "The focused hopes and dreams of internet fans"?
Don't play with my emotions ;_;

DeSolos

EPIC and all but,

There may be bad blood there. The way Nomura talked about his ousting always sounded like he was really unhappy about the decision.

It's possible he's also not happy about FFXV's direction. At E3 2013, Nomura was intent on pursuing an episodic series(much like what he's doing with FF7 now). Not to mention that in FFXV's new direction they chopped up, reimagined, and distributed his original vision into several properties. I wish he was there too, but I think his absence speaks volumes on the situation between them.

.JayZii

Banned
I'd love to see some quotes or interviews from Nomura about his feelings on FFXV after he separated from the project. I can't help but feel that a lot of "Nomura's" feeling that people mention are just their own.

If FFXV is a huge hit critically and financially, I'm sure S-E can incentivize Tabata to not be one and done with FF.

Even if Ito is directing XVI, Square needs to be actively looking for fresh faces for the mainline games. It's a series that demands ambition and often times you'll find that in younger designers.

And by "signs" you mean "The focused hopes and dreams of internet fans"?
Don't play with my emotions ;_;

I think people are just basing it on what we know of FF directors at Square

- Tabata says that he wants to be one and done. So FFXV may be the only mainline FF he ever makes

- Toriyama...Well, you know the story.

- Nomura is busy with FF7R and KH3.

- Kitase is no longer directing games.

- Ito isn't confirmed to be working on any games currently. So of the directors that have a past with directing mainline FF games, he's the most likely choice.

Top Bottom