• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV stream featuring Tabata and Sakaguchi to be held on April 14th

raven777

I still don't believe raven777, to be honest. I mean, a year ago Kitase and Sakaguchi had an interview together with Famitsu where they reminisced about their past days working on FF etc.

http://kotaku.com/what-final-fantasy-is-according-to-its-creator-1672622214

I said he was drunk, didn't I? Also he didn't mean it in real malicious way or anything. It's just normal outburst from drunk person, probably nothing serious. He was praising Tabta's ability to produce the project well, and while at it said 'but Kitase can't produce lol' But it was live broadcasting and Tabata and the host was a bit shocked at the outburst so they cut to commercial. After CM Sakaguchi tried to backtrack by saying Kitase is more of game creator guy, not a person who produce the project, etc.

Koozek

I said he was drunk, didn't I? Also he didn't mean it in real malicious way or anything. It's just normal outburst from drunk person, probably nothing serious. He was praising Tabta's ability to produce the project well, and while at it said 'but Kitase can't produce lol' But it was live broadcasting and Tabata and the host was a bit shocked at the outburst so they cut to commercial. After CM Sakaguchi tried to backtrack by saying Kitase is more of game creator guy, not a person who produce the project, etc.
Okay, that makes sense^^ He's probably not wrong. Nomura is similar and even admitted that he dislikes the managing side of the director role the most and would rather just do the creative work. Tabata is the kind of director you need for a project like this, like Yoshida with FFXIV.

He's not wrong.

He isn't. Look at the list of games he is solely a "producer" or "supervisor" and then look at the games he's had a big creative part of(Final Fantasy Adventure/Seiken Densetsu, FFV, FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, FFX, Chrono Trigger). Producing-wise, he's responsible for some of my most loathed Square Enix games of the 00s(which was my least favorite decade so far). Sure, maybe a handful of those games he produced were actually GOOD(KH, well, to me the first one was), but there's a whole lotta crap on that list by comparison.

BumRush

Yeah, the games where Kitase has directed (FFVI, CT, FFVII) are far better than his produced efforts (FFX, Type-0, FFXIII Saga)...at least in my opinion

Well, as much as I respect Kitase, it's hard to argue when you look at what's right in front of you.

FF's Written and/or Directed by Kitase: FFV, FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII
FF's Produced/Exec-Produced by Kitase: FFX, FFX-2, FFVII Compilation Project, FFXIII Trilogy, FF Type 0.

FFX is a bit different, since he had a big hand in the story with Nojima, but beyond X his writing/scenario design/directing projects are above and beyond more impressive than his producing/exec producing duties.

Sakaguchi groomed him to be a creative force within Square back in the early '90s. He admired his knowledge and experience with film and wanted that in his series. Wouldn't surprised me if he was disappointed that Kitase has either stepped away from the creative side or was forced into producer roles after the Gooch's exodus.

Dark_castle

This is some reverse Inafune shit. Kitase is a creator, not a businessman. xD

I agree with this though. The game under his directorial were great, but under production, they were mostly shitshow.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Aren't they mostly shitshows coz of Toriyama?

They should have asked Sakaguchi, "what do you think of Toriyama's works?"

Aren't they mostly shitshows coz of Toriyama?

They should have asked Sakaguchi, "what do you think of Toriyama's works?"

It's because Kitase that Toriyama gained such a position as director. While Sakaguchi groomed Kitase to be a main creative force to take his place, Kitase spent no time in grooming Toriyama to take his place and stepped out of the creative role just to oversee the projects. For being as great in creative decisions(he was a great idea man and director), when Sakaguchi left, its like he didn't even wanna savor that position and was ready to hand it over to Toriyama.

benzy

Drunk Gooch keepin it real lol.

Jirokichi did a live translation: https://twitter.com/Kume856/with_replies

Sakaguchi-san wants Tabata-san to come to his division/company :D

"That NOV to SEP was fantastic!" said Sakaguchi-san.
"Would have been nice if they kept NOV" said Tabata-san.

Sakaguchi-san "I passed on FF to Kitase-san."
And Tabata-san understands Sakaguchi-san, Kitase-san, Nomura-san's love for FF and making FFXV

Asd202

Is this a thing?

g1v40tsomzzdqkyreha7.gif

Not really.

Byvar

Haha, somehow I knew something like this would happen. Sakaguchi is often drunk on streams like these, and it's very noticeable. Tabata must've felt pretty uncomfortable.

But Sakaguchi is right. Kitase was at his best as a director or as an event planner. The games he produces often aren't very good. Still, Sakaguchi must have been very drunk to say something like that, considering Terra Battle had a collaboration with Kitase's Mobius FF not very long ago. The next phase in Terra Battle's download starter also involves Kitase...

I wonder if Tabata's next project will involve Sakaguchi/Mistwalker in some capacity.

Recently Tabata said that he wants to cooperate with another studio for his next game. Could be a hint... who knows.

I want to believe.

Well, Sakaguchi is Kitase's senior, going by Japanese customs, so he can get away with saying stuff like that. It's not like he's wrong though. That clip sure is both funny and cringeworthy at the same time though for the awkwardness.

Poor Kitase. Directed some of the greatest FF games of all time. All time. Arguably a better director than Gooch. And yet, there's no denying his producing has been... less impressive. Damn it, Gooch should come back and produce a Kitase-directed title. If it wouldn't now be too awkward.

Spman2099

I say bring back Sakaguchi and Matsuno (Mistwalker) as Producer/Director to collaborate with Square-Enix on a Console sequel (or remake) to Final Fantasy Tactics (none of that FFTA shit).

I was scanning the messages on the forum too quickly and misread the beginning of this message as "They are bringing back..."

I have never been so happy, followed by so sad, in my life.

Kieli

Stupid that they keep saying "make it or break it", as if holding the franchise hostage is going to make gamers go out and buy the game.

Just make a good game and it will sell itself.... enough with this bullshit "Dragon Quest may not be made if spin-off XYZ fails".

.JayZii

Banned
Stupid that they keep saying "make it or break it", as if holding the franchise hostage is going to make gamers go out and buy the game.

Just make a good game and it will sell itself.... enough with this bullshit "Dragon Quest may not be made if spin-off XYZ fails".
I don't think that's what they were saying.

I read it more as they need to prove the series worth and not rest on their laurels. Seems like a good state of mind to me, considering the hubris of the past 10 or so years.

Dark_castle

Drunk Gooch keepin it real lol.

Jirokichi did a live translation: https://twitter.com/Kume856/with_replies

Sakaguchi-san wants Tabata-san to come to his division/company :D

"That NOV to SEP was fantastic!" said Sakaguchi-san.
"Would have been nice if they kept NOV" said Tabata-san.

Sakaguchi-san "I passed on FF to Kitase-san."
And Tabata-san understands Sakaguchi-san, Kitase-san, Nomura-san's love for FF and making FFXV

What does the NOV to SEP mean?

Top Bottom