• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Switch hinted

Which is it?

Results are only viewable after voting.
There's no rhyme or reason for why SE does the things they do. It would make sense to port the mobile version as an open world deal and chibi characters.

We'll get some Frankenstein game that costs 4X the amount to develop that uses some assets from the console version, while keeping the chopped up nature from the mobile game.

We all lose.

LordKano

It makes sense to port/remaster/doing whatever the fuck Tabata want with the pocket version as a basis because :
- Porting the base game would mean porting Luminous engine, which is an absolute mess of an engine and will not ever be used for anything else than FFXV since Square moved to UE4, so it'd be the worst deal.
- FFXV is a realistic looking game, downscaling assets up to the point it could run on Switch would hurt the tone of the game greatly. That's not the case with DQXI for example, which is a stylized game where a downgrade in textures/models isn't going to be a big deal on the Switch version, compared to the PS4 one.
- Having a stylized looking version would actually appeal more to the Nintendo/family audience than a straight port of the grim base game.
- Who would buy a downgraded port of the PS4 version releasing probably two years later than the base game. Especially when you can buy said base game for like 15 bucks everywhere. We're not talking about a beloved game like Skyrim, people aren't nostalgic of FFXV.

So yeah, it's a rare situation where it would actually be better to port the handled version instead of the home console one. Probably the last time it happens though, unless Tabata is already planning a FFXVI universe.

I'm interested in this mostly for the technical showcase, but if it ends up being as competent a port of the console version as possible, I'll probably pick it up. The demo on PS4 was fun to mess around in.

RDreamer

I feel like it'll be the pocket edition. The resources used to make that doesn't make much sense unless there's another version to use it with. Mobile gaming is where there's a lot of money, but not really for expensive episodic games like what they seem to be doing with the pocket edition. Putting it all together for the switch makes sense.

I'd rather have a downport with added stuff.

Actually scratch that, I want FFXII on Switch instead of any of this.

brinstar

it makes more sense to me to upgrade the pocket version into something more appealing than to downgrade the PS4/XB versions into something unappealing

It makes sense to port/remaster/doing whatever the fuck Tabata want with the pocket version as a basis because :
- Porting the base game would mean porting Luminous engine, which is an absolute mess of an engine and will not ever be used for anything else than FFXV since Square moved to UE4,

BD2 is using luminous for thier new IP. And its hard to call it a mess of an engine when ita visually on par with witcher 3 and runs better.

LordKano

BD2 is using luminous for thier new IP. And its hard to call it a mess of an engine when ita visually on par with witcher 3 and runs better.

I have no idea what BD2 is. And FFXV released in a very poor state. There's a reason why KH3 and FFVIIR switched engine from Luminous to UE4.

I think the Pocket Edition would make more sense, but also they would probably have announced it for the Switch along the mobile announcement, so maybe they're not confident that that would sell to console users and that's not what they would bring to the Switch.

So I think they will remake the assets to fit the Switch, maybe even slightly changing the aesthetic.

I have no idea what BD2 is. And FFXV released in a very poor state. There's a reason why KH3 and FFVIIR switched engine from Luminous to UE4.

Business Division 2, its the division making FFXV and luminous.I played XV and Witcher 3 at launch, XV ran better with fewer bugs.

The reason KH3 and FF7 are using UE4 is because they cant get help from the luminous programmers, they work in different cities, UE4 has a dedicated team to help devs with the engine, it has nothing to do with visuals or performance.

Yagami_Sama

They are developing FF XV for PC too, so maybe there is a change that it is a port of the PS4 version, which would be great.

If they release that pocket edition, people may start some riot.

Khrno

I wouldn't bother playing the same normal FFXV version, I don't even intend to get the PC version for my high end PC. 200 hours on PS4 were more than enough.

However I would get the Pocket version since it would be like playing both DQXI versions.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be fine with pocket edition if they upgrade the graphics. Battle system looks pretty competent.

Co-op would sell me instantly.

bptw7Wr_d.jpg

From a dualshockers interview, they seem not sure about FXV port and very interested in Android.

Sounds promising for the pocket edition. Right?

Zedark

From a dualshockers interview, they seem not sure about FXV port and very interested in Android.

Sounds promising for the pocket edition. Right?
This was more than half a year ago. It really doesn't tell us anything more, it's outdated.

Edit: Although the Android bit is interesting indeed. Could be the pocket version, would suck, though.

Before the switch released.
I was going to ask the timeline for this quote too because I remember him saying it. Just bring whatever man. The normal FFXV would be preferred, but something like the Pocket version (a better version of it for Switch) would probably be fine.

Since FF15 started development in 2006 they may have alot of textures and models that can be played on lower spec systems like the ps360. Now I imagine draw distance and some lighting may have to be turned down for a Swich port but I dont think its out of the possibility a full version of ff15 comes to Switch.

ksamedi

The Switch appeal is that it can run console games on the go. A PS4 port would make more sense. I dont see any business logic in the pocket version being ported. Its fine on mobile but not a great fit for the Switch.

EDarkness

I don't get why people think it's a port of the Pocket Edition. Wouldn't they just have announced it for the NS with the announcement today? It's gotta be a graphically lowered version of the PS4/XBO version of the game. Maybe even on a different engine. Still, it's something to look forward to and I'll be picking it up day one...unless for some odd reason they port over the chibi version. Too many Wii version flashbacks will prevent me from picking that up.

LordKano

I don't get why people think it's a port of the Pocket Edition. Wouldn't they just have announced it for the NS with the announcement today? It's gotta be a graphically lowered version of the PS4/XBO version of the game. Maybe even on a different engine. Still, it's something to look forward to and I'll be picking it up day one...unless for some odd reason they port over the chibi version. Too many Wii version flashbacks will prevent me from picking that up.

My expectation, based on what Duckroll said, is that they'll pick Pocket Edition's engine and improve from that to get something decent looking and with enough meat. Something like Bravely Default but with the boys band instead of the cool characters.

EDarkness

My expectation, based on what Duckroll said, is that they'll pick Pocket Edition's engine and improve from that to get something decent looking and with enough meat. Something like Bravely Default but with the boys band instead of the cool characters.

As long as it looks as close to the PS4/XBO version of the game and has all of the same features, I think it'll do well. If it turns out to be the chibi version, then I think that version will be doomed. Much like so many Wii games that tried the same thing. I imagine they want to impress people with the game, so I don't think they'll screw this one up.

FinalAres

As long as it looks as close to the PS4/XBO version of the game and has all of the same features, I think it'll do well. If it turns out to be the chibi version, then I think that version will be doomed. Much like so many Wii games that tried the same thing. I imagine they want to impress people with the game, so I don't think they'll screw this one up.
I mean duckroll has said it's going to be based on the chibi pocket edition, so don't ger your hopes up.

Probably would never happen, but a bespoke, from ground up Switch version would be the best scenario here.

I know it'll just be pocket edition :/

LordKano

It's not going to be just the Pocket Edition, they would have announced it already otherwise, and they wouldn't sell a mobile port unchanged. Even if they just bump the resolution.
The question is more about, if they take the Pocket Edition as a basis, how could they improve them to make it look better to sell it as a console game ?

Top Bottom