• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Switch hinted

Which is it?

Results are only viewable after voting.

diaspora

No that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that you are using numbers you don't understand to support a position that you have taken for...some reason. Brand loyalty?

Amazingly when I pointed that out,you proceeded to try to further analyse the numbers you dont understand. You sir are a martyr to your cause. I salute you.

Being even half way to this generation would be enough. But it's not. And it's crazy to think SE are not porting XV as is just because they "won't". SE may not always make decisions that make sense to us, but they're still a business. If they had the option of porting FFXV as is they would. But they don't because Switch isn't powerful enough.

Obviously the Switch isn't powerful, I've said as much, I've only said that it takes astonishing ignorance to equivocate the platform with last gen as it has more in common with modern platforms. Square is a business, if they can get away with doing the bare minimum they will. Even if one were to believe it technically impossible to get the engine working on the Switch, it illustrates that the Switch isn't as fast as the PS4 which I've maintained, not that it's got more commonalities with last-generation platforms.

Zil33184

Eh, that's generally wrong too. Between having much more memory, a modern maxwell GPU, and nvidia developed APIs, it would be closer to modern platforms than last gen ones, not that it matters given the gap anyway.

That's true but it also has less main memory bandwidth than PS3 and is closer to last gen in shader throughput, especially in portable mode.

It's undeniably better than PS360U, but there are enough caveats to its performance that the jury is still out on if it can faithfully reproduce modern AAA visuals.

FinalAres

Obviously the Switch isn't powerful, I've said as much, I've only said that it takes astonishing ignorance to equivocate the platform with last gen as it has more in common with modern platforms.
This is a contradiction though. How can it be astonishing ignorance to say switch is slightly closer to last gen, but at the same time say you appreciate it is significantly underpowered enough not to be able to support games from this gen? We're both sitting at marginally different points in between PS3 and PS4 and yet my position is astonishing ignorance?

What is this magical point in the scale which is significantly less powerful than current gen, but also not so significantly underpowered that it's closer to this gen than last, but also at the same time way way way more powerful than anyone saying it's closer to last gen than this (because that would be ignorance).

Please enlighten me with your numbers.

I'm not sure Square Enix would think that it's worth the cost of porting this game from the mess of the Luminous Engine to the Switch, while also having to significantly alter the game wrt assets, textures, resolution, etc for such a small userbase (currently).

Whereas the pocket edition is likely a pretty straightforward port-up as it's not built off of the disaster that is the Luminous Engine and is likely a significantly less cost to develop than porting down the game that already has issues running on a PS4/X1.

Well I hated the original FFXV but I'd be interested in a cuter, simpler version. Depends on how it plays though. I generally prefer abstract cartoony Final Fantasy.

It looks really bad though. If this is a $20 eShop game that'd be fine but if it's supposed to be a major retail release then they shouldn't bother.

I'm not sure Square Enix would think that it's worth the cost of porting this game from the mess of the Luminous Engine to the Switch, while also having to significantly alter the game wrt assets, textures, resolution, etc for such a small userbase (currently).

Whereas the pocket edition is likely a pretty straightforward port-up as it's not built off of the disaster that is the Luminous Engine and is likely a significantly less cost to develop than porting down the game that already has issues running on a PS4/X1.

SE must have some incredible devs if they made a game thats visually on par with witcher 3 and runs better on a disaster engine.

Ex-Psych

It would be cool if they gave FFXV the World of Final Fantasy aesthetics without the Chibi forms

But I guess that would be too much work for Square. ..

brinstar

It looks really bad though. If this is a $20 eShop game that'd be fine but if it's supposed to be a major retail release then they shouldn't bother.

I should note that I'm hoping they use the pocket version as a base and work from there to make it into a full game, if it's literally just the mobile game on Switch I wouldn't bother.

KtSlime

I should note that I'm hoping they use the pocket version as a base and work from there to make it into a full game, if it's literally just the mobile game on Switch I wouldn't bother.

The camera angle from the pocket version would make it much easier to support multiplayer single screen playing if they were to go that way. I wonder how close they could get the battle system to the original (or if they even should).

FinalAres

For me, if for the Switch version they can expand it out so it feels like a full fledged game, rather than a series of action sequences, and then give it some visual flair (like mouths opening, better ui) that could become my favorite version of the game for sure. Don't dislike FFXV at all either. But the araena fight looked amazing on the pocket edition. Really pretty, so I'm defo not against the style.

This is a contradiction though. How can it be astonishing ignorance to say switch is slightly closer to last gen, but at the same time say you appreciate it is significantly underpowered enough not to be able to support games from this gen? We're both sitting at marginally different points in between PS3 and PS4 and yet my position is astonishing ignorance?

What is this magical point in the scale which is significantly less powerful than current gen, but also not so significantly underpowered that it's closer to this gen than last, but also at the same time way way way more powerful than anyone saying it's closer to last gen than this (because that would be ignorance).

Please enlighten me with your numbers.

Multiple things.

1) Newer GPUs are more efficient at certain tasks that allows them to reach theoretical maximums more often. While the PS3 was 200 GFlops, in practice, it could not utilize its power efficiently. Therefore, even though officially the Wii U GPU was rated lower than PS3, the Wii U GPU outperformed the PS3 GPU in most cases. The Switch is several more generations past the Wii U so the differential in terms of efficiency is even greater when comparing Switch vs PS3/360.
2) 400 GFLOPs is not the full story. Portions of the GPU workload can be done utilizing FP16 which brings performance much closer to 512 GFLOPs+.
3) The Switch also has a much better CPU architecture and much more RAM. Switch is much more in line with PS4/XONE in this case. Whereas the other two are fuzzy based on developer goals, ability, commitment, and the underlying rendering middleware.

That said, a version of Pocket edition with more detailed models and textures, cel shading, and the full overworld would probably be a better use of effort. It'd be different, have a timeless art style, and would be respectful of SE's handheld audience.

I doubt they would be able to port the PS4/X1 versions, but if they can use the Pocket Edition as a base, dress it up a lot (and I mean a lot), and implement the full version's combat system, I'd be down for it.

SE must have some incredible devs if they made a game thats visually on par with witcher 3 and runs better on a disaster engine.

Square Enix does have some immensely talented developers -- I don't think that's ever been in doubt. The Witcher and FFXV both look good since both are available on the same platforms, which also isn't in doubt.

Neither of those statements contradict the idea that the engine is hard to work with, which is further suggested by the fact that it's only ever been used with this one game, and they're using Unreal Engine now.

Does Square Enix think that it's worth the cost to port the game from Luminous to say, Unreal, and then port the game to the Switch? I suppose only they'd have the answer to that question. The fact that they were able to get decent results out of that engine has nothing to do with how disastrous it's history has been -- The PS3 was a beast to develop for but it ended up being home to some great looking games. Doesn't mean it wasn't a beast to develop for.

It'll be a new version with new assets and still somehow come out as worse than just porting Pocket Edition!

eVcfMJ8.jpg

480p. It can barely even run on the ps4 lol

It runs pretty ok on PS4, now. DQ 11 also runs in 900p/30 and it's getting a Switch version. So i wouldn't say it's impossible.

The pocket version looks like shit. I really hope they make another game, a prequel or sequel, because i have played 15 already and know the story.

@wickedLaharl: Switch is much closer to PS4 than Wii was to PS360.....

Also FF 15 was planned for PS3, called FF Versus 13.

If people believed this could run on PS3, there shouldn't be so much doubt about Switch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyWgRmFXdIM

Golnei

Honestly I think FF15 should be do-able enough to not require using that awful looking Pocket Edition. I mean we have games like Xenoblade 2 showing a pretty open-world game is do-able on Switch. And really the Switch should do a good job emulating the visuals to a point with its modern hardware. This isn't the Wii U or something.

Hey if they have to break-up the world maybe with loading screens so be it, big whoop. As long as it looks great and is a real effort, I'm there day 1.

Xenoblade 2 and BoTW are far from being modern open-world games technically - they're built around the limitations of the Wii U / Switch, and make considerable sacrifices to run at all, even with their evident limitations. Not only is it questionable if Luminous and XV could be adapted for the platform at all, whether the considerable revisions would be realistic from a cost-benefit perspective if possible is uncertain.

KtSlime

Xenoblade 2 and BoTW are far from being modern open-world games technically - they're built around the limitations of the Wii U / Switch, and make considerable sacrifices to run at all, even with their evident limitations. Not only is it questionable if Luminous and XV could be adapted for the platform at all, whether the considerable revisions would be realistic from a cost-benefit perspective if possible is uncertain.

Could I trouble you to define these terms, what makes an open-world game "modern" on a "technical" level.

Golnei

Could I trouble you to define these terms, what makes an open-world game "modern" on a "technical" level.

It's not an insult or a complex definition - those games' targets of lower specification, in one case literally last-gen hardware is reflected in the shortcuts and sacrifices made in their development; and as such they can't be pointed to as an example of XV, a game explicitly not built for that environment which already struggles on its current consoles, being easy or even possible to port.

KtSlime

It's not an insult or a complex definition - those games' targets of lower specification, in one case literally last-gen hardware is reflected in the shortcuts and sacrifices made in their development; and as such they can't be pointed to as an example of XV, a game explicitly not built for that environment which already struggles on its current consoles, being easy or even possible to port.

Sorry, I just don't understand. Are you saying that if a game targets lower specifications that it is not a modern open-world game? Wouldn't that make everything on PS4 and XB1 not modern open-world games since even my 5 year old computer outperforms them?

Just wondering if there is some arbitrary line drawn between modern and not modern, and if so, where it is.

Edit: If there is some sort of techniques used in modern open world games, that are unavailable on older hardware, I would like to know about what they are, but to my understanding the basic design approach has remained the same, simply newer games on higher-spec hardware have greater detailed assets and maybe less popin.

120v

Honestly I think FF15 should be do-able enough to not require using that awful looking Pocket Edition. I mean we have games like Xenoblade 2 showing a pretty open-world game is do-able on Switch. And really the Switch should do a good job emulating the visuals to a point with its modern hardware. This isn't the Wii U or something.

Hey if they have to break-up the world maybe with loading screens so be it, big whoop. As long as it looks great and is a real effort, I'm there day 1.

there's the question of what's do-able and what's worth it. the game is successful but not on the level of, say, overwatch or rocket league. youre not guaranteed any return on investment tackling that kind of challenge, especially considering the port would be years after the pc version, GOTY and all that

Tyaren

DQ 11 also runs in 900p/30 and it's getting a Switch version. So i wouldn't say it's impossible.

We have not seen the DQXI Switch version yet. There is a lot of speculation which version it will be. The PS4 version downgraded, the 3DS version upgraded or a version build from the ground for Switch?
I think it might be the latter for the fact that they haven't shown it yet and that it doesn't seem to be in a presentable state yet.

I asked this before in this thread, but what was the graphically most demanding game from PS4/Xbox One/PC ported to Switch so far? It might give us an idea of what is possible and what is not.
FFXV certainly is one of the graphically most demanding games out there right now...

I'm super taking it as that comment is. "Interested in it" does not confirm or even assume they are trying to do it.

If they do great, I'll be happy when they officially say it. But for now I won't be joining the people hoping on the "its happening" train reading and hearing what they want as opposed to what was said.

Mory Dunz

if it's the pocket version.....why not just announce it today along with the official announcement?

I asked this before in this thread, but what was the graphically most demanding game from PS4/Xbox One/PC ported to Switch so far? It might give us an idea of what is possible and what is not.
FFXV certainly is one of the graphically most demanding games out there right now...

sports games as of now I suppose
We've seen FIFA, don't think we've seen NBA.
then DQ11 if it's the PS4 version.

anyway, If a port is possible, KH3 probably has the highest selling potential of the big 3.

Kyzer

Banned
Eh...not considering it at all if its pocket edition unless they add the whole rest of the game, then maybe

Came for the poll, but honestly, I don't know which to pick. None of them seem like good options.

The normal game would obviously require tons of changes to work on the Switch. Not sure if they would be willing to compromise that much.

On the other hand, pocket edition seems like it's not good enough on the Switch. The whole point of the Switch is that it offers more premium games than you can get on mobile. I can't imagine anyone wanting this on Switch, so I don't see the point in making it.

A whole new game for the Switch also seems pretty unlikely. Why put out so much effort for a late port?

In the end, I just don't have any hope for this game. I'll continue to look forward to Square Enix's Octopath Traveler, since it was built ground up for the Switch and looks great for what it is. I think bringing unique games like that to the Switch is a far better move for Square Enix than bringing late, weird, gimped ports.

Ex-Psych

Ok maybe I missed the reason somewhere in the thread, but can someone tell me why the Pocket Edition is a possibility despite the version not being announced alongside the IOS and Android version?

c0de

Ok maybe I missed the reason somewhere in the thread, but can someone tell me why the Pocket Edition is a possibility despite the version not being announced alongside the IOS and Android version?

Because it would be easier to go with that version instead of porting the game from hardware that is will beyond the capabilities of the switch which also means they have to port their engine to a different platform. Not to mention all the work that has to be done to get the game running in a state that it's not a catastrophe.

Meesh

I must be the only one on GAF that would rather square remake FF6 for Switch or release a new made from the ground up RPG. I really don't care for this new FF entry.

Because it would be easier to go with that version instead of porting the game from hardware that is will beyond the capabilities of the switch which also means they have to port their engine to a different platform. Not to mention all the work that has to be done to get the game running in a state that it's not a catastrophe.

That doesnt answer the question you quoted, though.

The most probable reason is that a Nintendo Direct is coming.

N3DS

Yeah it's probably gonna be the mobile port. I wonder if there will be any content discrepancy between the pocket version and console/windows version.

Ex-Psych

That doesnt answer the question you quoted, though.

The most probable reason is that a Nintendo Direct is coming.

That sounds probable, however a lot of Switch games have been announced the past two days that could've also been shown in the Direct, seems odd to just single this out.

Ploid 3.0

The PS4 and Xbox One can barely run FFXV, if anything it would be the mobile version. Good for tablet gaming since it's the mobile version.

The mobile port doesn't sound like a bad idea if the art wasn't so bad.
Seems like they're lifting animations and VA from the main game but the characters don't move their mouths. Noctis and Prompto seem fine while Cindy and Gladio look terrible
But if it's the mobile port, why not announce it now?

EctoPrime

Carving up the gameworld into sections with long loading tunnels in between might be preferable to streaming in a Switch port. Like Zones in FF14 but still allowing car travel without loading screens. No need to waste resources on loading new data all the time.

There is no doubt that FFXV can run on Switch, obviously with some cuts regarding resolution or effects.

Look what even ports like Fifa18, Snake Pass, Minecraft or Lego City look on Switch, most people don't even see the difference to the PS4/X1 versions. Switch very good screen that has better contrast and sharpness than many TVs obviously helps in this regard.

I must be the only one on GAF that would rather square remake FF6 for Switch or release a new made from the ground up RPG. I really don't care for this new FF entry.
You're not the only one. Plus I forgot who, but someone from the Chrono Trigger dev team at Square is making a game for the Switch. Who knows what it could be.

Guymelef

There is no doubt that FFXV can run on Switch, obviously with some cuts regarding resolution or effects.

Look what even ports like Fifa18, Snake Pass, or Lego City look on Switch, most people don't even see the difference to the PS4/X1 versions. Switch very good screen that has better contrast and sharpness than many TVs obviously helps in this regard.
Joke post?

Top Bottom