• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Switch hinted

Which is it?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Rncewind

Uh, no, I'm not. I literally said how they could downgrade it on most visual fronts to make it work on the system.

they could also make a new engine, make all assets new, retune the game etc. All things that are possible. But if i am ceo of se its pretty much impossible because no way i greenlight this

They can just downgrade the graphics and geometry just like they did to get it running on PS4/XB1.

Im assumining you dont play or looked how this games looks and runs on this plattforms or i can not explain this post

Okay but lets say they downgraded the character models to a bit better than PS3 (which is the Switch's level) then you've also got a massive open world which the PS3 generation would have struggled with, so you'd have really obvious draw distances, and you'd have to limit the number of objects on screen.

There's a point where the compromises stop it being a sellable game, and thats why people are saying Switch can't get a downgraded version.

Plus if it was possible to make a game on Switch, do you not think the game would have been cross-gen in the first place? They would have made a ton more money that way.

You seriously think the Switch wouldn't be capable of such a simple open world? Really?
The problems the PS4 and Xbone faced came down to Square trying to push too much with the visuals.

Robin64

then you've also got a massive open world which the PS3 generation would have struggled with, so you'd have really obvious draw distances, and you'd have to limit the number of objects on screen.

The Wii U handled a massive open world with Xenoblade Chronicles X, I think the Switch could too. Yeah there was some pop-in but it wasn't a huge compromise, the game still looked gorgeous.

Dinjoralo

Everyone's arguing about whether the switch can handle it, and meanwhile I'm wondering how the hell they're gonna package the game. Do the Switch's carts come in 50 GB+ sizes? Are we going to have to downaload tons of data? The most you can get in external storage for the Switch right now is only ~200 gigabytes, a game like this would eat up a lot of that space, compared to PS4 or XB1 which come with 500 GB out of the box.

duckroll

You seriously think the Switch wouldn't be capable of such a simple open world? Really?
The problems the PS4 and Xbone faced came down to Square trying to push too much with the visuals.

I like how you're putting in so much effort trying to argue for something that well.... to my understanding Square Enix isn't even going to try doing.

ggx2ac

Watching the video again, the translator says "what plans we have with the game, the franchise..." Something like that before mentioning word rhyming with Twitch.

I guess, considering Square Enix didn't announce the Pocket Edition for Switch, the only thing other than porting FFVX would be to make a spin-off game.

FFXV card game? FFXV Chocobo racing game? Who knows.

Eolz

Sounds like it's a port at best, another version at worst.
Definitely not the Pocket version lol.

Nightbird

Okay but lets say they downgraded the character models to a bit better than PS3 (which is the Switch's level) then you've also got a massive open world which the PS3 generation would have struggled with, so you'd have really obvious draw distances, and you'd have to limit the number of objects on screen.

Jesus, people still believe that the Switch has only PS3-level capabilities?

Majmun

Well, Ps3 is 2005 hardware...

Anyway..

All games could be ported to the Switch. But people forget that downporting is much harder than developing for more powerful hardware.

Porting the Ps4/X1 version to the Switch is going to be quite difficult.

KtSlime

There's a point where the compromises stop it being a sellable game, and thats why people are saying Switch can't get a downgraded version.

Plus if it was possible to make a game on Switch, do you not think the game would have been cross-gen in the first place? They would have made a ton more money that way.

They make lots of strange decisions, perhaps they thought 15 would sell enough on just 2 platforms, but later realized they should have gotten more money from the project and more use of the assets so have added 20 different side projects in the "FF15 Universe"?

they could also make a new engine, make all assets new, retune the game etc. All things that are possible. But if i am ceo of se its pretty much impossible because no way i greenlight this

Im assumining you dont play or looked how this games looks and runs on this plattforms or i can not explain this post

I believe games to be more than just graphical showcases.

I don't know if it is still the case, however when they first introduced the Luminous engine, they built it around DirectX 11, which the Tegra X1 does support. I don't know if they would make the investment or put in the effort, however on a hardware level, there is no such limitation if they are willing to sacrifice blades of grass for draw distance.

CTLance

I like FF XV and I could actually kinda dig the Pocket Edition if the charactres weren't so ugly. Not a big chibi fan to begin with but these models are extra ugly.
I've been off the "more photo realism" train of thought for what feels like decades and I actually do love me some competently designed chibis, but yeah, I'll have to agree. I guess the artists over at SquEnix just cannot comprehend anything that doesn't consist of more than a billion triangles per character.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
This is not the jrpg released in the past year that I want to port-beg for!

Interested to see what eventually becomes of this tease though.

Rncewind

I believe games to be more than just graphical showcases.

I don't know if it is still the case, however when they first introduced the Luminous engine, they built it around DirectX 11, which the Tegra X1 does support. I don't know if they would make the investment or put in the effort, however on a hardware level, there is no such limitation if they are willing to sacrifice blades of grass for draw distance.

The api of xbox one is directx.... and this game runs horrible on it. So no. Also this has nothing to do with claiming "port it just down like ps4 and x1". Not only are their from architecture closer together then switch but also from build and power and they could still dont get it run properly and there is already a huge gap between Ps4 and the xbox one version so you cant clubber together "ps4/xbx1" to begin with

But whatever if we reached a point where people argue downporting games that are even struggling to run on xbx1 are not a big deal: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Hey i am all hyped of this mysterious 720p 30fps little bit less grass and geometrie but everything else looks very similiar port of this game.

Jesus, people still believe that the Switch has only PS3-level capabilities?
It certainly doesn't have XB1-level capabilities, even while docked, which barely ran this game at 720p.

People need to get some perspective. FFXV already featured a large number of visual cutbacks to get to the performance it did at the resolutions it did. Lest we forget the PS4 version was usually around 900p to boot.

A handheld that doesn't approach XB1 performance while docked but also has to run in a low power low spec mode isn't going to play FFXV.

SgtCobra

I think some of you are overestimating what the Switch can do, it's better than a PS3 sure but I can only imagine the horrors about trying to play this game in handheld mode...

zelas

The Wii U handled a massive open world with Xenoblade Chronicles X, I think the Switch could too. Yeah there was some pop-in but it wasn't a huge compromise, the game still looked gorgeous.
As stated by Digital Foundry, XCX cut a bunch of corners and was limited in scope during development from the start. And it was still 720p on top of those cuts. To downgrade FFXV in a way XCX was would make this a new game.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-vs-xenoblade-chronicles-x
Not unsurprisingly, trades are made in order to deliver this type of seamless experience. One such compromise can be seen in the game's day/night cycle. Xenoblade X makes use of shadow maps, as you'd expect, but these shadows are completely static. Shadow position does not change based on the location of the sun - they remain completely still until nightfall when they are simply faded out. This doesn't have a significant impact on minute to minute visual quality, but it does sap away a little of the atmosphere typically gained from dynamic time of day cycling.

Alpha texture resolution also takes a hit in the game, impacting the effectiveness of transparency effects. If you look at the edges around objects which intersect with any sort of alpha, you'll notice obvious saw tooth edges. When these effects fill the screen it can even give the impression of a lower overall screen resolution. While the effects work used in battle is hardly distracting, the wispy clouds used to add fog to the terrain definitely stand out. Depth of field, often used in cut-scenes, is also rendered at a low resolution with obvious artefacts visible throughout many sequences. Beyond that, water reflections are limited to basic cube-maps that do not accurately convey the world around it, while such bodies of water also lack any sort of interactions with the player.

More noticeably, Xenoblade X exhibits significant pop-in even when playing the game from a faster external drive. We've tested the game on both the Wii U's internal storage and using an external drive but in both cases, we encountered a significant amount of object pop-in. Running through the city, you'll see huge Skells and crowds of NPCs appear out of thin air just metres from the player. Thankfully, we only found this distracting while exploring New Los Angeles, the game's central hub. Once out in the wild, pop-in can still be observed but it becomes somewhat less noticeable.
Another curious thing we noticed stems from the game's collision detection or, more appropriately, the lack thereof. As we run through the city the player ghosts right through the cars, NPCs, and Skell as if they weren't even there. It's not clear if this type of thing is designed to save performance but the results are certainly bizarre.

diaspora

It certainly doesn't have XB1-level capabilities, even while docked, which barely ran this game at 720p.

People need to get some perspective. FFXV already featured a large number of visual cutbacks to get to the performance it did at the resolutions it did. Lest we forget the PS4 version was usually around 900p to boot.

A handheld that doesn't approach XB1 performance while docked but also has to run in a low power low spec mode isn't going to play FFXV.
No it doesn't, but it takes a special kind of stupid to say it's the level of a slower machine with 1/8 the memory.

Robin64

Well this was running on PS3

final-fantasy-versus-13-ps3.jpg

So just imagine a halfway house between what we have now and this image, boom, Switch version.

Edit: Pasted the wrong shot, thanks clipboard.

And no, this isn't serious, I still think Switch will get the Pocket Version as "Nintendo Switch Version", with some prettiness added and a better framerate.

Trago

640p/25fps docked lol.

That would be pretty cool to see happen, but I'm not sure how compromised the game will be on Switch hardware.

KtSlime

The api of xbox one is directx.... and this game runs horrible on it. So no. Also this has nothing to do with claiming "port it just down like ps4 and x1". Not only are their from architecture closer together then switch but also from build and power and they could still dont get it run properly and there is already a huge gap between this version so you cant clubber together "ps4/xbx1" to begin with

But whatever if we reached a point where people argue downporting games that are even struggling to run on xbx1 are not a big deal: ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Hey i am all hyped of this mysterious 720p 30fps little bit less grass and geometrie but everything else looks very similiar port of this game.

It struggles because they didn't want to sacrifice shadows and hair and other fancy graphical effects, not because Noctis' teleportation or the Maruboro's AI is computationally demanding. They could have made those sacrifices to get the game working better, maybe not within their release schedule, or maybe they thought it was running well enough and decided prioritized graphics. Maybe they have had a change or heart and decided that they can do some sacrifices to the graphics to get it working if that means being able to sell more copies, maybe not. We don't know, but the performance problems of the PS4 and Xbox releases are how they prioritized the features of the game, not the architecture.

Rncewind

It struggles because they didn't want to sacrifice shadows and hair and other fancy graphical effects, not because Noctis' teleportation or the Maruboro's AI is computationally demanding. They could have made those sacrifices to get the game working better, maybe not within their release schedule, or maybe they thought it was running well enough and decided prioritized graphics. Maybe they have had a change or heart and decided that they can do some sacrifices to the graphics to get it working if that means being able to sell more copies, maybe not. We don't know, but the performance problems of the PS4 and Xbox releases are how they prioritized the features of the game, not the architecture.

yes noctis teleprotation als works when the game looked like minecraft, thats not the point of downporting a game. They can also downport this game to a ps3 like tomb raider. You should read the quote where i quoted you/ where you written it. Its not an easy matter, and imo not a profitable one, and the game would not look anything similiar to the current version. Also you have to seem, like somebody else here, insider info what causes to game run not properly, have you the internal documents or something? You already argued with something like Tegra which dont make any sense at all. How do you know its not the engine that causes the problem? Anyways not gonna bother with this topic.

Neiteio

BotW managed an epic open world with a rigorous physics engine while restricting itself to WiiU parameters.

An FFXV port wouldn't need physics, and unlike BotW it could use the full power of the Switch.

Some compromises would still need to be made, but I think it'd be doable and still look/play great.

BotW managed an epic open world with a rigorous physics engine while restricting itself to WiiU parameters.

An FFXV port wouldn't need physics, and unlike BotW it could use the full power of the Switch.

Some compromises would still need to be made, but I think it'd be doable and still look/play great.
That's not how any of this works. 😬

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I like how you're putting in so much effort trying to argue for something that well.... to my understanding Square Enix isn't even going to try doing.

So what do you think about this clear hint?
Just some sort of pr talk without anything behind?
Could totally be of course but I don't see why to bother to begin with and SE in general seems very keen about the console

Could totally be of course but I don't see why to bother to begin with and SE in general seems very keen about the console

Final Fantasy XV: Dancing all night for Switch.

Bluth54

Everyone's arguing about whether the switch can handle it, and meanwhile I'm wondering how the hell they're gonna package the game. Do the Switch's carts come in 50 GB+ sizes? Are we going to have to downaload tons of data? The most you can get in external storage for the Switch right now is only ~200 gigabytes, a game like this would eat up a lot of that space, compared to PS4 or XB1 which come with 500 GB out of the box.

32 GB is the largest Switch game card size available right now and I can't even imagine e how much those game cards cost since numerous publishers have charged $10 more for games on smaller game cards.

FfXV also seems like the type of game that would probably take a lot of time and man power to port to the Switch but I could be wrong.

duckroll

They are considering a Switch version of the game. There is no question about that. But along with the mobile game I heard that they are intending for that as the basis of the Switch version. That's all.

Kyzer

Banned

None of those are the same thing. Saying porting a game is the same as remaking it from scratch is dumb

Fiendcode

The largest Switch card currently is 32GB (used in DQ Heroes I & II) but presumably they can go larger.

Right now the largest consumer grade microSD card is 256GB which range $100-200 depending on the manufacturer. We'll see larger cards in the future though.

Majmun

They are considering a Switch version of the game. There is no question about that. But along with the mobile game I heard that they are intending for that as the basis of the Switch version. That's all.

Damnnnn, if true.

Switch is probably getting the 3DS version of DQXI as well then.

I wonder why both SE with this "similar to twitch" and level5 with the "swi..." hints can't simply announce things normally

Yeah this is a good question. Could be the classic/mythical Nintendo third party NDA, or maybe an inbound third party Direct? Either way it sure is odd, yeah.

Yes, so why argue with the technology?

You can also port star citizen to switch, ok. whats the point of this statment? The main argument here is that is so bothersome to scale down something like FF XV on switch which goes beyond the proclaimed "just put the resulution down lol". It also dont make sense to compare switch with wii or xbox 360 in its final years with a base where switch has not even 1/10 of it currently

Well we know something's happening. Either it's the pocket version, which would be strange because they could have announced the Switch with the other platforms, or it's the PS4/XB1 version downgraded. We can talk all we want about how feasible it is or how much work it would be for whoever is doing the downgrading but it's now become a very distinct possibility.

z0m3le

Banned

That would be a lot more work than using the lower settings on the PC version that already exists. I mean if you've heard that from a legit source, then it is what it is, but if they used some heavy LOD work like Zelda does, there is little reason you couldn't get the normal game on Switch.

I assume we won't hear about it until after DQ11 comes to Switch and sells well (if it doesn't, this might not happen at all)

Top Bottom