• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV teases new female character

Status
Not open for further replies.
To think that nobody gave a duck about Lulu aka most outrageous cleavage in a FF.

Made sense in the fact that is simply how she was dressed. it was her wardrobe. Unless Fem cid is dressed like a mechanic because she wants to then it would make more sense but thats her "work" outfit more likely. Coveralls are usually just that, coveralls to keep your clothes clean. Typically you don't unzip them halfway to expose yourself to getting oil and grime all over your chest. Same with the guy wearing a jacket with no shirt. Guys are typically bare chested because we either want to be comfortable or they are sweaty and dont want to get our clothes dirty. Yet in the context he's wearing a jacket because...hes cold? Nah its stylish apparently.

SgtCobra

FFX-2 had an all female cast, FFXIII had 3 playable females, FFXIII-2 had 1 female & 1 male, Lightning Returns starred a sole female protagonist, Type-0 HD has 7 playable females. I think we can allow Square Enix to make one FF with an all-male (playable) cast, especially given that the game doesn't seem to be allergic to women otherwise.
Couldn't agree more.

orioto

Good Art™
And now they release promo art like this for him

gladiolus7uq4n.png

It's weird how they make him a tall muscular guy but he's still somewhat kinda skinny.. You got to appeal to japanese tastes i guess.

Also i've paused the trailer many times to see if the pecs were modelized but couldn't find them :p)

wmlk

Made sense in the fact that is simply how she was dressed. it was her wardrobe. Unless Fem cid is dressed like a mechanic because she wants to then it would make more sense but thats her "work" outfit more likely. Coveralls are usually just that, coveralls to keep your clothes clean. Typically you don't unzip them halfway to expose yourself to getting oil and grime all over your chest. Same with the guy wearing a jacket with no shirt. Guys are typically bare chested because we either want to be comfortable or they are sweaty and dont want to get our clothes dirty. Yet in the context he's wearing a jacket because...hes cold? Nah its stylish apparently.

These guys deliberately look like beautiful people, and they seem pretty self-conscious of it.

I don't understand why everything has to look a certain way to be acceptable. It's pretty restrictive if you think like that.

Mr. RHC

K2FwpJ9.jpg

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
FFX-2 had an all female cast, FFXIII had 3 playable females, FFXIII-2 had 1 female & 1 male, Lightning Returns starred a sole female protagonist, Type-0 HD has 7 playable females. I think we can allow Square Enix to make one FF with an all-male (playable) cast, especially given that the game doesn't seem to be allergic to women otherwise.
Well said.

What seemed worrisome initially was the small cast. Then I realized a few things:

-With the action style of gameplay, each character will function much differently from one another than they have previously

-Previous FFs have had less (I, III, V sorta, X-2, LR, Crisis Core)

-We're only going to be playing as Noctis anyway (sad face)

This is accurate. Man, that would be so cool if she really did turn out to be Cid. Cidna, maybe? They'd have to change the name... or make it a nickname, or something.

Gbraga

It's weird how they make him a tall muscular guy but he's still somewhat kinda skinny.. You got to appeal to japanese tastes i guess.

Also i've paused the trailer many times to see if the pecs were modelized but couldn't find them :p)

Japanese and me, apparently. He looks so much better now imo.

Same goes for everyone, really. At first the redesign was kinda weird, but looking at them both like that, it's much better now.

Gladio <3

They all look so good that I wish there was an official couple in there, not gonna happen though.

These guys deliberately look like beautiful people, and they seem pretty self-conscious of it.

I don't understand why everything has to make sense look a certain way to be acceptable. It's pretty restrictive if you think like that.
It just looks stupid and incredibly lazy way to add "personality" to a character. Like they're models or a boy band (which they certainly do look like) and they're being marketed in the same fashion.
He's basically the village people biker.

To be fair I'm sure Kojima has some story behind quiet. If we really are expecting that from Final fantasy then you'll probably be dissapointed.

Thoraxes

This is accurate. Man, that would be so cool if she really did turn out to be Cid. Cidna, maybe? They'd have to change the name... or make it a nickname, or something.

I don't particularly associate a gender with the Cid name, but that's just me.
It just looks stupid and incredibly lazy way to add "personality" to a character. Like they're models or a boy band (which they certainly do look like) and they're being marketed in the same fashion.
It's pretty obvious which demographic they're trying to pander to.

wmlk

What do you mean "add personality"? Why can't him being a "gruff" and brute man be an actual personality in itself?

What, had he worn a suit, would he have a legitimate personality then?

Ferr986

This. I actually like that they are doing new things with this game. Im liking the premise of some bros doing a road trip to save their city.

Potential female Cid... who isn't playable as every other woman in the game. Lets commemorate!

Yes, how can women possibly identify with these characters. What could they possibly find appealing about Sexy Boys On Adventure: The Game?

I'd prefer female party members too. However, I'm not naive enough to think the lack of female characters is due to anything other than Nomura and co. wanting an all-male cast for the sake of the story.

What do you mean "add personality"? Why can't him being a "gruff" and brute man be an actual personality in itself?

What, had he worn a suit, would he have a legitimate personality then?

Because hes a walking stereo type. The shirtless buff guy who's the "muscle".
Then we have the "brains" who wears glasses and the most well dressed. You know because glasses and order means smart!
The "young" one who is dressed the most like a popstar and is the most excitable.
The Noctis the in between who looks the most generalized.
Plus we have the matching voices. Guess who sounds intelligent? The smart looking guy.
The muscle is all gruff. Excitable young one is the highest pitch one and then Noctis again the most normalized one. And they'll all play the same typical roles you see in any anime/video game. I can name so many characters in other media that they're basically copies of. I understand that its going to happen but damn they're incredibly obvious about what roles everyones going to play this time around.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Cid is genderless, I suppose... I guess it's the connection with the masculine Sid that's bothersome. Although, it wouldn't be a big deal if they went with Cid.

Then we have the "brains" who wears glasses and the most well dressed. You know because glasses and order means smart!
The "young" one who is dressed the most like a popstar and is the most excitable.
Plus we have the matching voices. Guess who sounds intelligent? The smart looking guy.
The muscle is all gruff. Excitable young one is the highest pitch one and then Noctis again the most normalized one. And they'll all play the same typical roles you see in any anime/video game. I can name so many characters in other media that they're basically copies of.
Final Fantasy has never been particularly good about avoiding "types" of characters. In fact, it kind of thrives on them.

JoJoSono

Banned
The muscle is all gruff. Excitable young one is the highest pitch one and then Noctis again the most normalized one. And they'll all play the same typical roles you see in any anime/video game. I can name so many characters in other media that they're basically copies of.
A Final Fantasy game with cliched characters? Dear god..

Valnen

So they should change things up just for the sake of being different, then? Not sure that would make the game any more entertaining. In fact, when media does this it tends to actually end badly.

vypek

I think thats expected. Archetypes are used all the time all over the place. Anime and manga do the same thing. A jRPG doing it doesnt seem so odd but I can see why it would bother people. Personally Im okay with it if only because it seems so normal at this point.

A Final Fantasy game with cliched characters? Dear god..

I know I know but sometimes its not on the levels that it appears this cast is on now. I hated team nora from final fantasy because they were stereo typed in the same way. Well mostly half of them which are the two they're using in this game (buff guy and young one).

wmlk

Well, yeah, they behave what they look like. When your personality is geared toward one way, you can kind of assume what the person will look like. It goes like that for real life as well. It's why we have stereotypes.

Doesn't make them any less legitimate. Like every other character in anything, they exist as they are. Criticizing a character for existing as they are doesn't make sense. Like, if you saw a skinny kid with glasses wearing generic clothes and he was smart, would you say that he has an illegitimate personality for being a stereotype? No you wouldn't.

It's rather about the execution and how they're handled in the story. If they go completely against their character, then that's a real issue.

Light Yagami from Death Note looked like a smart character, and guess what, he was. Does that mean it's a lazy character? Does that make Death Note any worse because of it? There's no connection.

Stereotypes don't inherently mean bad writing or laziness. It never has. Sometimes, authors deliberately include stereotypes because they're identifiable, and that's just fine.

So you don't agree all muscular men should sound like Zangief?

fHH0DQA.jpg

You want that piece of work to sound like Mickey Mouse? You really want this?

issuchathingevenpossible.gif

Personally I'm waiting to hear pica's voice once the one piece anime gets to that point.
Stereo types are fine. I'm mostly complaining at the level of stereo type this cast is at.

jett

D-Member
The muscle is all gruff. Excitable young one is the highest pitch one and then Noctis again the most normalized one. And they'll all play the same typical roles you see in any anime/video game. I can name so many characters in other media that they're basically copies of. I understand that its going to happen but damn they're incredibly obvious about what roles everyones going to play this time around.

You'll always always suffer obvious archetypes with anime-inspired content. I also would prefer some semblance of subtlety.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom